• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chancellor Merkel's approval rating rises, could very well remain Chancellor

TCRS

Banned
well she was okay until her monumental fuck up with the refugees but I guess anything is better than that EU clown Schulz.

Kanhir

I'm voting SPD, mainly because I believe that the hardline Christian beliefs of the CDU (and Merkel herself) are putting Germany behind its peers in terms of progressive issues like same-sex marriage and commercial shutdowns on Sundays. I'm not a fan of religion leading politics like this.

More Grand Coalition please. Germany is the most sane Western country right now.

Too much Grand Coalition isn't really a good thing though. If you look at a country like Austria, it can lead to a point where both major parties are seen as spent forces and that's the kind of political vacuum where far-right populists can surge past the 30% mark.

Ladekabel

Same could be said about SPD. Who's supposed to replace Schulz should he fail? Nahles, Lauterbach or Müller?

And don't underestimate de Maziere. He would wipe the floor with every single SPD politician out there.

That's the power of the Leitkultur! The SPD is in the biggest crisis if someone like de Maziere would be win over them.

Merkel is probably the best choice if Schulz and the SPD don't up their game in the coming months.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Too much Grand Coalition isn't really a good thing though. If you look at a country like Austria, it can lead to a point where both major parties are seen as spent forces and that's the kind of political vacuum where far-right populists can surge past the 30% mark.

To be fair, we also have tremendously stupid politicians

Xando

The problem in Austria is that both parties tried to cater to the FPÖ voters and it dramatically backfired.
For some time the CDU(and even more the CSU) tried the same but Merkel mostly ignored Seehofer(thankfully).

That's surprising I just talked to my friend in Germany who said people are ready to get rid of her. I guess we will see.

I've encountered a lot of people on the right who kinda came up with little conspiracy theories about Merkel and her approval ratings. They basically claim that Merkel is actually very unpopular and a majority of Germans doesn't like the EU and is anti-immigration.
And the mainstream media is working towards covering up these facts and silencing the secret majority.

I think this arose out of the specific informational bubbles find themselves in. If you get most of your information online and already have your go to (anti EU, anti immigrant) sources you will likely get the impression that Merkel is terrible and nobody likes her.

Bottom line is that germans like calm and careful politicians. Merkel is basically the prototype of a modern german politician. Additionally she has been doing a pretty good job so far. Germans always like to complain, but the vast majority realizes that things are going pretty good.

This is exactly what makes it so hard for other parties to rise up currently.

Years ago Merkel channeled the term "politische Mitte" (political middle), this wasn't just empty rhetoric. She successfully created a platform with such widespread appeal that other parties are struggling to stand out with fundamentally different ideas and true alternatives.

The best example for this is probably the incorporation of green energy plans into her center right platform.
For decades environmental protection and green energy were the issues of the "Greens".
But Merkel made Germany one of the frontrunners of green energy and environmental protections and now the Greens face some kind of identity crisis.

And lastly, Merkel is a safe bet in uncertain times. Germans are anxious people.

The only thing that could prevent a 4th term for Merkel is Merkel herself. A little over a year ago there was a period were I thought she has had enough, but that changed and now she seems well prepared for another 4 years, Trump and Brexit have energized her. She is a woman of principles and she seems to think she is the best person to defend these threatened principles for another 4 years.
Even though I never for her or her party, I tend to agree.

Fritz

Trudeau is doing okay leading the free world.

KeenCleanGallowaycow-size_restricted.gif

Azzanadra

I thought Merkel was a conservative? Why is everyone celebrating? I mean sure she isn't on the level of Republicans, but I assumed at the very least she's like a David Cameron or a Stephen Harper.

#LowEnergySchulz :-( I guess r/the_schulz has to start parodying those Jeb! memes now, lol.

FDP at 12%? O_O I honestly thought they were done for four years ago. Is there a realistic prospect for black/yellow or black/yellow/green on the federal level if this trend continues?

7.5% AFD is still 7.5% too much.

State elections in germanys biggest state (usually SPD territory)

Schulz is done

Exactly what I said on the first page: Schulz's nothing-but-hot-air populism is not working and actively hurting the SPD's grey-voters. Add medium-ish dissatisfaction with our current state government and voila .

It's always interesting to see how the latest elections are a result of Schulz not of four years of subpar goverment in the states.

Occam

I thought Merkel was a conservative? Why is everyone celebrating? I mean sure she isn't on the level of Republicans, but I assumed at the very least she's like a David Cameron or a Stephen Harper.

The US Republicans have turend into crazy extremists during the past 50 years and have managed to skew American understanding of what conservatism means. They have shifted the entire nation so far right that almost anything is considered leftist in the USA of today. From the point of view of other nations, even the US Democrats are a right wing party, more right wing than Germany's CDU. Another example: Liberalism does not mean left-wing at all in other countries, and certainly is not an insult (which makes no sense at all). Liberty means freedom.
The rest of the world views US Republicans as radical nutjobs, not people with a sane political agenda.

Xando

The four most important reason to vote were not federal politics.

And to be honest. I would consider people who look at Berlin when voting in NRW for pretty big idiots. Regardless of the party.
SPD lost 3 out of 3 elections since schulz is leading them.
Polls have seen SPD tanking again with now 10 points between them and the CDU.
Majority of germans think Merkel is a better candidate than Schulz. They have nothing going for them.

He is done. The only question is how big she wins.

MaddenNFL64

16 years in power, goddamn.

The US's 2 term limit at least means Trump can't be president for too long, but it also means capable leaders like Obama are done too quickly, making way for shit like Trump.

Catch 22.

oti

Banned

oh god I need to leave this country then

w3bba

By american standards she is almost a communist. Conservative means something very different here in germany.

16 years in power, goddamn.

The US's 2 term limit at least means Trump can't be president for too long, but it also means capable leaders like Obama are done too quickly, making way for shit like Trump.

Catch 22.

The US president is much more powerful and the system prevents that he loses that power during a term. The german chanclor is only head of government, not head of state, can be blocked more easily and a vote of confidence(among other systems) can remove a chanclor from power.

Also the president of germany (head of state) has the same 2 term restriction btw.

Micael

Conservative in Europe does not tend to be the same as in the US, US basically has what for a lot of countries would be an extreme right (republicans) and a right party (democrats), so conservative in the case of the US is extreme right, Merkel would be borderline extreme left in the US.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is also not how it works. Merkel is strictly against marriage for everyone, so yes, she is a conservative.

Also, not a feminist. She has been kinda celebrated as a feminist icon since Trump acted like a child, but she is definitly no feminist and describe herself not as one.

Irminsul

Conservative in Europe does not tend to be the same as in the US, US basically has what for a lot of countries would be an extreme right (republicans) and a right party (democrats), so conservative in the case of the US is extreme right, Merkel would be borderline extreme left in the US.

No, stop that. The differences between the US and European politics cannot be simplified to a shift on a one-dimensional scale. It's more complicated than that.

AmFreak

This is also not how it works. Merkel is strictly against marriage for everyone, so yes, she is a conservative.
If you begin to pick single points as evidence for what someone is not then nobody will be anything.
Yes she is conservative for german standards, but every party in germany outside of the AFD would be left of the 2 big us parties.

The problem in Austria is that both parties tried to cater to the FPÖ voters and it dramatically backfired.
For some time the CDU(and even more the CSU) tried the same but Merkel mostly ignored Seehofer(thankfully).

It's pretty clear that Merkel has shifted more to the right since the beginning of the refugee crisis no?

Micael

No, stop that. The differences between the US and European politics cannot be simplified to a shift on a one-dimensional scale. It's more complicated than that.

Wouldn't she though? Obviously a lot of it is cultural differences, but that doesn't change the fact that if Merkel believes there what she believes here she would be to the left of the democrats which are very much considered a left party in the US.

Xando

It's pretty clear that Merkel has shifted more to the right since the beginning of the refugee crisis no?

Not really. She held out when her party wanted to enact a cap on refugees but merkel declined.

She(And the EU) made a deal with Turkey to stop people from trying to cross the mediterranean into Greece.

Unless the Greens and SPD also moved to the right she actually stayed pretty firm.

For everyone saying this has no effect on the federal elections:

C_zVVkPXsAErvNg.jpg

Fliesen

State elections in germanys biggest state (usually SPD territory)

C_zHeIzXcAA0t3s.jpg

Schulz is done

What's most interesting to me is the massive gains of the FDP and the losses of the Greens. - where did those come from?
Often CDU/CSU's victories are somewhat pyrrhic because they're party fueled by people shifting their votes from the FDP to the CDU.

Like, where did the green voters go, also the Pirates? Certainly not towards the AfD, i would guess.

Costa Kid

16 years is way too much.

One re-election (like in the US) is the right thing to do imo

But she made a good job so far...
I would rather the strong and stable (lol) government like in Germany than in the US where the entire country's politics does a u-turn every eight years.

So, this is going to be another CDU-led grand coalition, isn't it? Not enough seats for a CDU/FDP coaltion (at least if the Left manages to hold on to their projected 5%). Or would the Greens actually be willing to go into a coalition with the CDU and the FDP?

Also, not a feminist. She has been kinda celebrated as a feminist icon since Trump acted like a child, but she is definitly no feminist and describe herself not as one.

My biggest concerns with the CDU, hence I hoped the SPD could win the election in September.

Not looking good at this point.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not really. She held out when her party wanted to enact a cap on refugees but merkel declined.

She(And the EU) made a deal with Turkey to stop people from trying to cross the mediterranean into Greece.

Would not say that straight out. The CDU declared coutries like Afgahnistan as safe countries, from which refugees are no longer accepted.
And the party didnt do this with her approval.

Of course, the overall course didnt changed. But there went a couple of thing by that deserved more attention.

My biggest concerns with the CDU, hence I hoped the SPD could win the election in September.

Not looking good at this point.

With the SPD as a junior partner there is still hope for good reforms. Mindestlohn, Frauenquote, everything stuff that was a SPD thing.

Top Bottom