• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to school in Charlottesville. It's fair to say that the vast majority of Charlottesville's residents find these rallies detestable, and the voices of the KKK don't represent the city's.

The school and the city certainly have other issues regarding diversity and fashion sense (e.g., pastel shorts and Sperrys), but racism's not one.

Charlottesville's beautiful and my favorite place in the world. Don't knock the whole city over the actions of a few idiots who feel empowered by the current political arrangements.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
UocQZd1.png

Edit - Already posted.

I went to school in Charlottesville. It's fair to say that the vast majority of Charlottesville's residents find these rallies detestable, and the voices of the KKK don't represent the city's.

The school and the city certainly have other issues regarding diversity and fashion sense (e.g., pastel shorts and Sperrys), but racism's not one.

Charlottesville's beautiful and my favorite place in the world. Don't knock the whole city over the actions of a few idiots who feel empowered by the current political arrangements.

How about stick condemning what your city is doing rather than putting on the PR spin hat? Clearly it has a racism problem.

Owari

I'm not seeing a large counterprotest, so I think I'm gonna keep on knocking the whole city.

Can't help but notice just how few women were at that rally last night and the one today. Well, at least the women on the Nazi side, there seem to be quite a few on the counter-protest side.

III-V

How about stick condemning what your city is doing rather than putting on the PR spin hat? Clearly it has a racism problem.

I'm not seeing a large counterprotest, so I think I'm gonna keep on knocking the whole city.

Yes, there is a large counter protest ffs. Counter protesters outnumbered the alt-right groups.

That tweet was a terrible response.

Yes, the tweet is some bullshit. Literally asking that all Americans tolerate the alt-right, white nationalists and other horrible hate groups.

RootCause

Bunch of racists thugs losing their shit. And that's a weak ass response from our "leaders", who can't seem to condemn acts of bigotry, but instead choose to legitimize it by claiming we should be united, and respect one another, as if it were a matter of different opinions.

Why? This is a "both sides" message that doesn't identify the actual cause of the hate and violence. I am sure Trump was involved in it. This is clearly a concerted effort by the White House to not take a side.
Ya, you're right. It was the "condemn" and "hate" that threw me off for a minute, had to read the tweet again. Pretty vague.

Ya, you're right. It was the "condemn" and "hate" that threw me off for a minute, had to read the tweet again. Pretty vague.

"hate" is a bullshit vague term that fuckwads like Trump and his supporters like to use. Remember that they consider backlash from the left against white supremacy to be "hate".

Why is it so hard for the media to call them Neo-Nazis? They're not nationalists FFS
Am I the only one who doesn't care if they're called "white nationalists"? They're racist-ass white people who want other races gone from the country. I don't know who they think they're fooling if that's supposed to a PR-friendly term.

And Neo-Nazis are like a subgroup of white supremacists. Would you call a Klansman a Neo-Nazi even though the KKK was founded well before the original Nazis? I'm not gonna split hairs and I've certainly used 'Nazi' as a shorthand for all white supremacist/white nationalist types, but I don't think the media is in the wrong for using a broader term to cover the entire range of racist hate groups present. They're not trying to pretend it's a rally in support of southern heritage or whatever (at least the media I pay attention to isn't, lol.)

Oersted

That tweet was a empty, emotionless plattitude.

Just compared it to any tweet about muslims, republicans, truckloads of women, mexicans, former presidents, the press(except Fox) or foreign leaders(except Putin).

Having no passion against hate is vintage Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom