• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off nobody is defending their violence. And yes they're scum and deserve to rot. The people arguing for free speech aren't doing it because they want to defend Nazis, they're doing it because they're afraid it could be used to erode the rights of good people, even if that was never the intent

Sigh, once again: hate speech laws are not a slippery slope anywhere.

Ill repeat it again.

The United States Government from the Late 30s through 1945 Actively banned Any Nazi Gatherings, Speeches or Organizations from operating Freely. The Nazi of Today celebrate and worship the same ideology of the Nazi of the 30s and 40s.

If We could ban them then we sure as fuck can have them banned now. They have not changed in their end goals or objectives. Their very gathering is promoting violence and discourse and have no place under the protections of the 1st Amendment. The left has allowed the Nazi to build themselves firewalls in this country that they should never have been allowed.

Yep. This needs to be broadcast everywhere.

BigDug13

They operate without any moral compass. They defended a hate group under the guise of free speech and people are dead, in part, because of their actions.

They share some blame in this.

If their job is to defend the rights of citizens in accordance with the Constitution, should they be applying whatever moral compass that particular worker has to a situation they are investigating?

Seems like people are shot gunning blame across as many people as they can here.

It is impossible for any rally featuring Nazis or the kkk to be peaceful and therefore should not fall under the first ammendment.

The entire reason for either group is related to violence and murder. How. Fucking. Hard. Is. That. To. Understand.

This...they promote violence...why is it so hard to make these type of protest be of the past? Things has to change and be updated.

First off nobody is defending their violence. And yes they're scum and deserve to rot. The people arguing for free speech aren't doing it because they want to defend Nazis, they're doing it because they're afraid it could be used to erode the rights of good people, even if that was never the intent

canada has hate speech laws like not advocating for genocide like those NAZIs and we good people aren't affected.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

D i Z

Ill repeat it again.

The United States Government from the Late 30s through 1945 Actively banned Any Nazi Gatherings, Speeches or Organizations from operating Freely. The Nazi of Today celebrate and worship the same ideology of the Nazi of the 30s and 40s.

If We could ban them then we sure as fuck can have them banned now. They have not changed in their end goals or objectives. Their very gathering is promoting violence and discourse and have no place under the protections of the 1st Amendment. The left has allowed the Nazi to build themselves firewalls in this country that they should never have been allowed.

The current administration has removed them from the list of threats.

Looking at how canadian hate speech laws are worded, I could easily see them being used to suppress legitimate groups in the hands of the wrong people

"wrong people"

there are plenty of wrong people in canada but we endure. my rights aren't being taken away. heck, we even prevent hate speech people from entering our borders.

the laws aren't the problem, defense of hate speech is the problem

There are people who think BLM is a terrorist group. They're wrong of course, but what happens when you let someone make a judgement call and the person who makes it is one of those people? How do you guarantee that won't happen

Yeah you're right best to just throw out a Voltaire quote and call it a day.

This isn't the ACLU's fault. Their job is to defend the first amendment.
No it's not. They don't have to jump in to defend them (especially since it runs at direct counter-purposes to their efforts such as defending the civil rights of black, LGBT, Muslim Americans etc by empowering them and giving them more power to spread their hate and intimidate others, making more work for themselves and more messes they have to clean up in the future). They could have let someone else do so and stand up for these particular people's rights--it doesn't have to be them. But they chose to. Nothing forced them to. They decided to of their own free will. That's their choice. But it being their choice, they don't get to suddenly turn around and act like they had no part in these events occurring. Don't get to have it both ways, that they'll defend them and let them hold these events and they'll do everything in their power to make sure that they're able to be held, but suddenly they have nothing to do with it if things go south, as if this was all some unknown risk with these type of things that no one could have possibly seen coming. If they're going to defend that speech and they're rights to have it, own the consequences of doing so. Don't half-ass it.

To be perfectly, 100% clear, of course the people at fault are the white nationalist fucks doing this stuff in the first place. That ain't in question. But if the ACLU are going to defend their right to speech and to organize, and to help make sure these evens happen when others are trying to stop them, they have to own the consequences when things go south. Don't get to make sure an event happens, but then act like things going south if they do has nothing to do with you when you played a role in making sure that event happened to begin with.

To be clear, they are not the primary culprits. Those are the white nationalists and neo-nazis in attendance and the driver of the car. But nonetheless, they played a role in making sure this event happened. They don't get to back away from the consequences of such events, just because it's inconvenient for them. It's not primarily their fault. But they played a role, and should be held accountable for that particular role and not let off the hook.

You choose to defend their speech and their right to organize and the like? That's a personal choice. But if you make that choice, you have to be prepared to shoulder part of the burden for that decision if things go south as a direct result of that choice. After all, no one forced them into it. That's one they made. They're not burdened to do so. They chose. And they need to bare the weight of that choice. No half-assing it saying they'll defend the rights of these individuals to organize and speak to the death, but if something goes wrong at one of the events they made sure, suddenly they had nothing at all to do with the event they helped to make sure happened in the first place. Doesn't work that way. Own that shit. Of course the white nationalists are the ones primarily responsible, but they too had a role since they chose to do everything they could to make sure stuff like this happens and if stuff like this happens at events they made sure happened, that gives them a role in it whether they like it or not.

The ACLU doesn't like it? They can let someone else defend the rights of white nationalists and neo-nazis to "peacefully organize" and spread their hate or whatever. Till then, they don't get to have it both ways.

"wrong people"

there are plenty of wrong people in canada but we endure. my rights aren't being taken away. heck, we even prevent hate speech people from entering our borders.

the laws aren't the problem, defense of hate speech is the problem

Sure, but they aren't in power right now. Can you guarantee that will always be the case?

Yep. If you think Trump and his only smelly swamp ass band are gonna change anything involving some of their voting base....bad news for ya.

yeah

actually you're somewhat lucky to have trump because he's so incompetent, i shudder to think about the next fascist leader who rises up and isn't as dumb as trump

yeah

actually you're somewhat lucky to have trump because he's so incompetent, i shudder to think about the next fascist leader who rises up and isn't as dumb as trump

Bannon is his right hand man, Sessions is racist as all hell and the administration doesn't see Nazis as dangerous...we are far from out of the woods.

Sure, but they aren't in power right now. Can you guarantee that will always be the case?

yes because they were just in power and was booted out. so it has been guaranteed. guess what? canadian life goes on. the racists hide and cower because they know there's legal ramifications for their forwardness.

guess what? you have KKK and NAZIs marching through your street and driving into protesters. do you know what the difference is? in canada that "Unite the Right" shit wouldn't even be allowed. and guess what? life in canada would be exactly the same as right now: safer, more educated, kinder, more open to diversity, more tolerant, and not a flaming garbage heap.

life has not changed since they cracked down on NAZI gatherings.

so you're 100% and demonstratably wrong on this.

D i Z

Bannon and Miller must be absolutely lapping this up.

Is this for real? I was not aware anything had changed, how the f did I miss that one.

They played smoke and shadow games and did it while the nation was distracted with Trump nonsense. It cracks me up that people haven't caught on to him being there specifically to do just this. There are also state laws abut police accountability being struck down, cam laws going away, and prosecution rights against cops being removed with protestor rights across the board. Now, why do you think this is?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Looking at how canadian hate speech laws are worded, I could easily see them being used to suppress legitimate groups in the hands of the wrong people

Your whole argument is that laws can be misused by the wrong people. So can be the actual US laws. It's enough to label any organisation as a terrorist organisation.

Not to even mention how your own law enforcement agencies are practically pushing the boundaries of laws as it's suiting them (see police shootings).

You are talking about some weak hypothetical thing, when in reality the hate speech laws work as intended in all the civilised countries that enforce them.

Your whole argument is that laws can be misused by the wrong people. So can be the actual US laws. It's enough to label any organisation as a terrorist organisation.

Not to even mention how your own law enforcement agencies are practically pushing the boundaries of laws as it's suiting them (see police shootings).

You are talking about some weak hypothetical thing, when in reality the hate speech laws work as intended in all the civilised countries that enforce them.

Fair enough

Should have hung them all.

Said as much in my earlier post. Should've done it like spy shit. Send some agents into the ranks to that these "secret meetings" aren't so secret, use tactics to capture entire groups, roll them out to nearby forests and hang 'em all like hooded wind chimes from the trees. Make it so that these forests are the last things these men see, and that people up to nowadays tell tales about how those forests are haunted because so many racists were hanged deep within them.

And those White supremacist militia groups that were allowed to murder and terrorise for 100 years after the war ended shouldve been hunted down, put in a prison colony or shot to death.
Yeah. Have no sympathy for Nazis or white supremacists. Everybody else in this world you could find something to sympathize with, but not these people. By subscribing to the belief that they are superior over other races (and their hatred and lack of compassion for others burns away their shreds of humanity), they've signed their fate as being TRUE sub-human monsters not worth the flesh they were printed on.

Vibranium

Banned
White supremacy and nazi punks are a cancer that has been growing forever and needs to be cut out and controlled.

Props to all of the counter protesters out there fighting the good fight.

Are you absolutely sure it isn't better to just do nothing though? What if we make the country safer for nothing?

well, you see, a safer country means you won't have any freedoms because I have a few hypotheticals and some can even be demonstrated but I won't do the research. truust me.

3d8kq62zaefz.png

III-V

They played smoke and shadow games and did it while the nation was distracted with Trump nonsense. It cracks me up that people haven't caught on to him being there specifically to do just this. There are also state laws abut police accountability being struck down, cam laws going away, and prosecution rights against cops being removed with protestor rights across the board. Now, why do you think this is?

Yea, I know what Bannon and Miller want, I just had not seen that they were having any successes yet.

Are you absolutely sure it isn't better to just do nothing though? What if we make the country safer for nothing?

Those who do nothing are forever connected to the disease that aims to ruin us all. Nazis and other white supremacists spread the disease of hatred like Mosquitoes spreading Malaria or West Nile virus. The white moderate that doesn't want anybody to rock the boat, "leave well enough alone" are the stagnant waters that allow these types of things to flourish and breed.

They are enablers, plain and simple. In cases like this, we on our side have been told to "wait our turn" and try to come to a civil understanding, and have been WAITING and trying to reach an understanding with those who laugh the notion that we can ever be equal to them. No more waiting, the boat has to rock. And those who are under the delusion that all it takes is some middle ground, some talking, crying and a circle where we all sing fuckin' Kumbaya, you are livin' in a fantasy world brother/sister. Re-evaluate your perception of this world because someone or some people in your life have failed you, and as a result, you are failing yourself. Time to open your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom