• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
4tajhgf2obfz.png

I can't tell if the Liberals come together to sing Kumbaya thing is actually a joke or not anymore

Drewboy64

I've been pretty disgusted seeing people on my Facebook feed victim-blaming the people who were injured or murdered by the car driver. Someone literally said that just by showing up, antifa provoked the people on the right. Uh, what??

I really think the answer in confronting the far right is to build a progressive, radical left that offers more than what centrist Democrats offer.

Blah. I want to live in a world where Klansmen and Nazis are afraid to be in public.

mandiller

FAIR.org | For Media, Driving Into a Crowd of Protesters Is a ‘Clash'

Washington Post, Boston Globe, AOL News, The Hill, BBC and Sky News UK describe today's events not as a terrorist driving into a crowd of people but rather as a "clash".

The New York Times pushes the ridiculousness further and places blame on an inanimate object.

screenshot_75.png

screenshot_76.png

As someone who works in the media, there might be a perspective you're not considering.

Most of the time when something like this happens media are very, very carefully with their language because of legal reasons and a fear of getting it wrong. We'd rather be careful with our wording and be slow to change it, then get it wrong.

Most of the time we have to wait for the police to call it what it is before we can say it. For example: If police haven't yet said the driver is definitely a white supremacist, then we don't say 'white supremacist kills protester with car'. And even after then we'd attribute that statement to the police. Are we 100% certain the driver didn't accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake? (To be clear, I believe they did purposely try to murder people, but these are the sorts of questions media have to ask). Another big question is 'has the offender been charged? if so, what with?'. The language will change pretty quickly after a charge is made. I just heard about the driver being charged with murder, for example, so you'll probably see those sites change their wording shortly.

You might call it a white supremacist attack or terror attack, but it's not so easy for the media to do it. The standard of proof is so much higher.

Drewboy64

When will people realize that these people are essentially racially motivated terrorists inviting you to increase the divide between them the rest of society. They must be publicly denounced, but they will not be swayed by counter protest, rallies such as this are an invitation for to spread hatred and violent conflict that will bring them a sense of self-importance, from outraged counter protest and shocked media coverage. Such attention gives credibility and satisfaction to what they're doing.

They got the President to speak on the matter without even condemning them, while all of their enemies are pissed. Mission accomplished.

So if the answer isn't to counter-protest, what exactly is the answer? We can't just allow a far-right fascist movement to grow without confrontation.

I don't think counter-protests are the most effective thing, but I think they're important to show that there is solidarity and unity on the left. Beyond that, though, I do think it is important to build left/progressive political organizations that are anti-fascist, anti-racist.

You might call it a white supremacist attack or terror attack, but it's not so easy for the media to do it. The standard of proof is so much higher.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, the media seems to hardly ever cite violent, politically motivated white people in the U.S. as terrorists. Dylann Roof, for example

Richard Spencer admitted that getting punched made him lay low for a bit. It just needs to happen to more of them, more often.

It did. It works. These people are cowards

Fuck. Even hitler said the way to have stopped his movement in its infancy was to meet it with violence and violently suppress it. It doesn't get much clearer than that.

.la1n

Are there any television news outlets providing coverage? My local news seems to be more concerned with the latest golf tournament.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
FAIR.org | For Media, Driving Into a Crowd of Protesters Is a ‘Clash'

Washington Post, Boston Globe, AOL News, The Hill, BBC and Sky News UK describe today's events not as a terrorist driving into a crowd of people but rather as a "clash".

The New York Times pushes the ridiculousness further and places blame on an inanimate object.

screenshot_75.png

screenshot_76.png

meanwhile CNN continues to be a shitshow. fuck Jeff Zucker

edit:
LOL, CNN

they keeps inviting Paris (the Trump surrugate)
van jones is no better with his "both sides" non sense

Joe

As someone who works in the media, there might be a perspective you're not considering.

Most of the time when something like this happens media are very, very carefully with their language because of legal reasons and a fear of getting it wrong. We'd rather be careful with our wording and be slow to change it, then get it wrong.

Most of the time we have to wait for the police to call it what it is before we can say it. For example: If police haven't yet said the driver is definitely a white supremacist, then we don't say 'white supremacist kills protester with car'. And even after then we'd attribute that statement to the police. Are we 100% certain the driver didn't accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake? (To be clear, I believe they did purposely try to murder people, but these are the sorts of questions media have to ask).

Thank you for that perspective! I appreciate it.

However, I just can't imagine media outlets giving the same leeway in a headline if a brown-skinned man had drove his car into a group of anti-terrorism protesters at a pro-Muslim extremism rally.

edit: I may be wrong though. I may search Twitter for past breaking news events to research it a little.

I can honestly say that would be beautiful, but not in this climate.

Also this was posted before the attempted murder so my statement is super disingenuous

I understand that but I don't expect priests and church commuters to do the fighting when shit goes down. They want to try and establish a peaceful scene which is admirable, even if it doesn't always work.

cameron

4tajhgf2obfz.png

I can't tell if the Liberals come together to sing Kumbaya thing is actually a joke or not anymore

Better response:

Rocks, pipes, and sticks being thrown forced Neo-Nazis to leave Kennedy Square in Detroit on 8/22/1981
[Detroit Free Press]
— Michigan's Past (@MichiganHist) Aug 12, 2017

"White Power Rally" Smashed at Michigan State Capitol
[article from 10/9/1983 Lansing State Journal]

Klan member being chased into Lansing Police Station by Anti-Klan protesters
[picture from 10/9/1983 Lansing State Journal]

D i Z

Paris needs to get punted into a quarry, but this talk about Bannon, MIller and others not being supremacists is out of control. Don't let these fools slide for the ill that they do. Also, Fuck Paris Dennard and his fraudulent ass.

Not like this. Guys, please don't even entertain this.

Given the collective apathy towards American drone strikes and sweatshops so that folks can get cheap clothing. I'm not going to shed a tear over blatantly evil Nazi's dying. Why do these people deserve better treatment than they would have got during WWII?

Paris needs to get punted into a quarry, but this talk about Bannon, MIller and others not being supremacists is out of control. Don't let these fools slide for the ill that they do. Also, Fuck Paris Dennard and his fraudulent ass.

My fucking man..CNN is straight garbage allowing this "booth sides" narrative. They should ALL be embarrassed. Navarro needs to abandon the money she makes there..she's no better, at this point.

Idiots..don't misconstrue what I'm saying..

I hope no one takes Doug's idea seriously

screenshot_78.png

That's a terrible idea.

The materials they make water balloons out of are probably not suitable for holding fuel mixtures. Molotovs are already a thing, don't reinvent the wheel every time you want to incinerate a Nazi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom