• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Arse Gaffer |Europe| With Or Without EU

Zafir

Found their statement at the time ::

Okay guess that explains my query... Why in the world weren't they using a token system in the first place?

The whole benefit of using a payment gateway is the fact you don't have to store any card details on your server, the onus is on the payment provider who should be equipped with the security to keep it safe.

SomTervo

I used Boomerang Rentals for about two years while a student and they were absolutely fantastic.

After I 'paused' my account, the hacking thing happened. I personally think they handled it as well as they could have.

I'd recommend them to anyone, really.

RiggyRob

I would avoid boomerang. They had a data leak last year and denied it. And as they do not accept PayPal, I would seriously recommend avoiding.

I can't really speak to the data leak. I had no issue with my card and got a boatload of freebies afterwards. They use Sagepay at present if that helps.

As far as the service goes, it's exactly what it seems. I've been using them for years without issue. Games are for as long as you want, I had Omega Quintet for friggin' ages because I kept forgetting I had it. I've got Mafia 3 on the way tomorrow. Delivery is usually the day after dispatch and anytime I've had an issue they've sorted it quickly.

Personally, definitely recommended.

Fuck Boomerang. Because of them I was not able to pay rent the month they got hacked (I got cleaned out). It was a huge toll on my mental health and they denied everything. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Do you need four games at a time? I mean, it sounds nice, but two games would probably be fine and you'd enjoy both more without feeling the pressure of having to rush them.

But yeah, data leak, loads of customers' money stolen, and then completely denied it and continue to to this day AFAIK. Their response was about as bad as it could have been.

Did they use Sage Pay when the hack occurred? They used the Sagepay gateway when I bought something from them so I can't imagine an hack on the site would cause peoples cards to be stolen now.

The fact they denied all that stuff is really shit though. Don't blame anyone for not wanting to do business with them anymore.

Barring the above hack issue - good service if you don't buy many games and have a wide variety of games you'd be willing to get.

I did briefly try it but it just wasn't for me. I'm kind of picky so it meant I was waiting a while for games to be sent because the stuff I did want were niche games which they just didn't have many copies of.

I'd stay away form them until 'recent events' calm down.

I used Boomerang Rentals for about two years while a student and they were absolutely fantastic.

After I 'paused' my account, the hacking thing happened. I personally think they handled it as well as they could have.

So in terms of Boomerang vs ShopTo, which was the bigger problem and how was the customer service handling aspect? It sounds like they're still having issues with it as well?

As for the 4 at a time thing, it's just for a bit of flexibility. As you can keep the games as long as you want, I wouldn't feel pressured to rush through them, but if something comes out that I'm interested in I'd like the freedom to get it rather than have to send something back.

Although, my main idea was using it for niche stuff like Grand Kingdom and Odin Sphere, and it sounds like they don't have many copies of those?

thenexus6

I want to preorder Battlefield 1, I normally go with TGC because they've never let me down but they are a few £ more than other places.

Maybe I should just still go with them for safety.

I want to preorder Battlefield 1, I normally go with TGC because they've never let me down but they are a few £ more than other places.

Maybe I should just still go with them for safety.

Think you missed the deals on that, it seems to have gone up in price most places.

zaphod79

http://www.cdkeys.com/playstation-network-psn/psn-cards

CDKeys , no longer quite as good of a discount but still worth using

With the 5% discount for liking them on facebook you'll get :

£15 for £13.29 so you are paying 88.60p for every one pound
£20 for £18.05 so you are paying 90.25p for every one pound
£25 for £23.32 so you are paying 93.28p for every one pound
£30 for £26.59 so you are paying 88.63p for every one pound
£35 for £31.25 so you are paying 89.28p for every one pound
£40 for £35.14 so you are paying 87.85p for every one pound
£45 for £39.89 so you are paying 88.64p for every one pound
£50 for £43.69 so you are paying 87.38p for every one pound

Best deal is the £50 but if you want a smaller amount there are slight savings by avoiding the £20 and £25 cards

£15 for £13.29 so your paying 88.60p for every one pound
£20 for £18.05 so your paying 90.25p for every one pound
£25 for £23.32 so your paying 93.28p for every one pound
£30 for £26.59 so your paying 88.63p for every one pound
£35 for £31.25 so your paying 89.28p for every one pound
£40 for £35.14 so your paying 87.85p for every one pound
£45 for £39.89 so your paying 88.64p for every one pound
£50 for £43.69 so your paying 87.38p for every one pound

Best deal is the £50 but if you want a smaller amount there are slight savings by avoiding the £20 and £25 cards

I wouldn't normally but "you're."

still, I like the deal so thanks

Zafir

So in terms of Boomerang vs ShopTo, which was the bigger problem and how was the customer service handling aspect? It sounds like they're still having issues with it as well?

As for the 4 at a time thing, it's just for a bit of flexibility. As you can keep the games as long as you want, I wouldn't feel pressured to rush through them, but if something comes out that I'm interested in I'd like the freedom to get it rather than have to send something back.

Although, my main idea was using it for niche stuff like Grand Kingdom and Odin Sphere, and it sounds like they don't have many copies of those?

I think the customer support outside of the hack seemed okay, in comparison to Shopto which had awful support regardless but ymmv I guess.

But yeah, that was my idea when I tried it. It kind of depends on how much stuff you're willing to accept. You can choose whether you want to be sent a game from the top choice, top 3 choices, top 5 choices, top 10 choices etc. Naturally if you're only wanting games from the top one or top three of your list you could be waiting a bit for one of those to come in stock. That said if you're more flexible you shouldn't have the problem of waiting.

If you wanted something specific I'd say they have enough copies of those kind of games that the max wait is maybe a week or so.

Protome

I'm not sure "denying anything ever happened" qualifies as handling it "as well as they could have."

I cancelled my card as soon as the news got out. One of my friends got cleaned out though.

EmiPrime

As well as they could have? My account wasn't even active and I still had my bank account cleaned out because they had kept my details somewhere on their server. They lied about the scope of the breach, VGP style.

Please, nobody give these charlatans your money. They can't be trusted.

Amherst_Wind

Neo Member

I needed some psn credit, this is super useful, thanks for doing the math.

illusionary

I've used Boomerang a good number of times now, to purchase ex-rental games, and have no complaints at all - their prices can be very competitive and the games have always arrived promptly and in great condition.

Super thanks for going through and working all them out.

Damn yeah the savings aren't as good as they were 3 months ago. Shame.

So after getting the mystery £6 discount from Amazon last week for preordering games, which I used on BF1, I noticed that Infinite Warfare is currently on sale at £61.85, with the £2 promotion still going. I had an existing order for it which I had placed before the promotion began, which had fell to the base price of £61.85 plus NUS discount, but didn't have the £2 promotion factored in.

Sure enough when I created a new seperate order for IW, Amazon knocked another £2 off, taking it down to £56.76 (with NUS discount). So it's worth checking for any orders placed before the pre order promotion started that you actually have the promotion applied to them!

SPCTRE

So after getting the mystery £6 discount from Amazon last week for preordering games, which I used on BF1, I noticed that Infinite Warfare is currently on sale at £61.85, with the £2 promotion still going. I had an existing order for it which I had placed before the promotion began, which had fell to the base price of £61.85 plus NUS discount, but didn't have the £2 promotion factored in.

Sure enough when I created I new order it knocked another £2 off, taking it to £56.76. So it's worth checking for any orders placed before the promotion started that you have had the promotion applied to them!
good recommendation

unless you want IW (Legacy) for the XBONE for some reason (like I do), it's stupidly at £69.00 right now on Amazon

Moozo

Sure enough when I created I new order it knocked another £2 off, taking it to £56.76. So it's worth checking for any orders placed before the promotion started that you have had the promotion applied to them!

Cheers! Mine just came down to 57 doing this.

im_dany

Since there's something called Milan Games Week this weekend, many retailers in Italy are having pretty good sales and that includes Amazon IT, so I suggest you to check it out if you're going to buy/preorder something this fall. I saw R6Siege, ME:Catalyst, TW3 GOTY, Overwatch LE for pretty good prices.

In case you're going to be there at Milan Games Week, most of the big 2016 releases are going to be available in there for 40€, including preorders (few notable games: GOW4, FH3, TLG, FF15, Horizon ZD, BF1, TF2). Also, Pokemon SuMo are available for preorder for 20€.

RiggyRob

I've used Boomerang a good number of times now, to purchase ex-rental games, and have no complaints at all - their prices can be very competitive and the games have always arrived promptly and in great condition.

I was asking about the rental service actually, not permanent purchases, but it's great that they do actually offer the ability to keep the game permanently if you wanted to.

popo

I was asking about the rental service actually, not permanent purchases, but it's great that they do actually offer the ability to keep the game permanently if you wanted to.

Boomerang provide a very good service and, crucially, they are about the only game renter left in the country.

If you have practical concerns over security I recommend getting a pre-paid debit card. I use pockit, fee free (one off payment of a quid when I got mine) and you just load enough cash from your real debit card once a month to cover the sub.

If you have ethical concerns then yeah, they did not do a great job of handling that one. I got hit at the time and was pretty pissed off with them (although bank refund was fine) but I am pragmatic about it. It isn't like I have the option of giving my business to a competitor. It isn't the first time I have given money to a company with a dodgy record in business and will not be the last.

Man, CEX over here takes them in for €240 cash or €260 credit... Not sure which store is more insane. Great for the Germans though.

I mean that trade price will fall like a stone if the german business is anything like the UK one. What do the german stores smell like :D

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
How long does it usually take to get the 5% voucher from CDkeys?

I'd have to dig out the topic, but I'm pretty sure a big part of the problem with the Boomerang data breach was that they put their heads in the ground and basically denied any culpability. They handled it extremely poorly.

Goldrusher

Belgium / Netherlands

PS4 Pro

https://www.gamemania.be/info/inruilactiePS4Pro
https://www.gamemania.nl/info/inruilactiePS4Pro

Until December 4, you can trade your old PS4 or an Xbox One to get a PS4 Pro much cheaper.

New prices:

€199 after trading in a PS4 1 TB
€249 after trading in a PS4 500 GB
€249 after trading in an Xbox One 1 TB
€279 after trading in an Xbox One 500 GB

UYDUjG5.png

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Immediately on their FB page, AFAIK. Did they change that?

I bought some steam credit the other day for shadow warrior 2 and it was the same.

You don't even have to put an email in. Just press the button and it comes up.
Hm, nothing came up for me. But I liked them on mobile, so maybe it's because of that?

mclem

It's ridiculous to set a release date then put rules into place so that a large portion of consumers who pre-order expecting it day one...which they constantly tell you to do, cannot get the thing on the release date.

"Pre-order and get it on release*"

*not on release

Friday releases aren't the end of the world either.

I do get particularly frustrated with WoW expansions, where they have the ability to gate access to the expansion at the server level, so I really don't see why they can't distribute the actual physical packages a week or so earlier than that. Given the way the demand for the title works, there's more demand than usual to play it at the moment of launch, and at the moment that's the privilege of people who purchase digitally or who are fortunate enough to get the package delivered early.

(Particularly because I generally take the actual first day of release off work, which means I need to make the judgement call in advance as to whether to get the package delivered to work (on the assumption it'll arrive early) or home (on the assumption it'll arrive on the first day).)

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
It's possible it doesn't work on mobile then, yeah.

I always do it on desktop since it's a bit of a pain copying the code from fb otherwise.
Alright, it worked from my desktop. Didn't see the "get your 5%" button on mobile.

Edit: nice, that makes 50€ Austrian PSN moneys cost 41,79 :)

Belgium / Netherlands

PS4 Pro

https://www.gamemania.be/info/inruilactiePS4Pro
https://www.gamemania.nl/info/inruilactiePS4Pro

Until December 4, you can trade your old PS4 or an Xbox One to get a PS4 Pro much cheaper.

New prices:

€199 after trading in a PS4 1 TB
€249 after trading in a PS4 500 GB
€249 after trading in an Xbox One 1 TB
€279 after trading in an Xbox One 500 GB

Same prices in Micromania. for PS4 Trades... This isn't the effort exchange program we are waiting... I still hope Sony will offer better offers to retailers to get people trade their systems

does anybody know where to get a ps3 controller? i've looked but the best price i can find in the Netherlands is €30 for a used one

Anyone know the best deal for Overwatch in UK? For PS4.

Now is a bad time to buy Overwatch in the UK - it's hella expensive everywhere for some reason. Way more than you could get it for during the free weekend some weeks ago.

If you're patient, wait for the mad rush of heavy-hitters to come out during Oct/Nov. If Blizzard don't want their game practically disappearing off the charts, that's when a price cut will be introduced.

Now is a bad time to buy Overwatch in the UK - it's hella expensive everywhere for some reason. Way more than you could get it for during the free weekend some weeks ago.

If you're patient, wait for the mad rush of heavy-hitters to come out during Oct/Nov. If Blizzard don't want their game practically disappearing off the charts, that's when a price cut will be introduced.

I don't want to miss the halloween stuff is the problem.

Top Bottom