• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light Review Thread

Gammacide

I hadn't heard of this until recently and one watch of the trailer and I knew I had to play it. I am a sucker for gorgeous art and beautiful music, not to mention interesting and different gameplay. Very excited to download!

Gamekult: 6/10

Translation of their conclusion:

Here's a game that had everything to seduce on paper: an original licence, a mix of good influences, characters devoid of clichés, a surprising artistic direction and even a well-implemented, new idea. Given that the development team was reduced yet had the support of a huge structure for this particularly confined project, we hoped to see better writers shine and for them to do away with the industrial aspect of design, which we often see in AAA productions. However, the Ubisoft Montreal title gets tiresome in the medium term as much as it enchants at first, allowing itself an almost anecdotal ending. Far from being bad on all points, it's only average just about everywhere. Child of Light could have been a magnificent and epic poem, it's eventually just a pretty, yet somewhat hollow lullaby.

THE GOOD
  • A Singular artistic direction
  • A wonderful open world
  • Characters are original and not caricatured
  • An efficient battle system...
THE BAD
  • Big lack of rhythm
  • Soporific music
  • Exploration gets repetitive quickly
  • Enemies lack variety
  • Too many useless sweets
  • ... which shows its limits quickly

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As I expected, a lot of mixed reactions... guess this has to be one of those games where I will have to play and judge for myself... sadly, a lot of the flaws brought up are things that would directly affect my love of the game - especially if it has a weak soundtrack and a simplistic battle system. I'd love to see more reviews from hardcore RPGers, though.

Seda

As I expected, a lot of mixed reactions... guess this has to be one of those games where I will have to play and judge for myself... sadly, a lot of the flaws brought up are things that would directly affect my love of the game - especially if it has a weak soundtrack and a simplistic battle system. I'd love to see more reviews from hardcore RPGers, though.

Do you like Grandia's combat? If so, it's worth a try. There's a demo on PSN.

th4tguy

Any one know how you chose to move between different paths? For example, I went up a ramp that levels off with the ground. I want to go back down the ramp but it keeps making me walk over it maintaining ground level.

Edit: Never mind, just figured it out. Hold down and press jump.

Top Bottom