• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light Review Thread

antitrop

how's the story? that's usually what i care about the most when i play a jrpg. a story that engages me enough to keep playing.
Really the only thing I'm concerned about with this game, being from the writer of Far Cry 3 and all.

I'm sure the gameplay will deliver (had me at Grandia battle system), but the story/writing are the real unknown quantities with this one.

Can't really comment much on the story itself since I haven't quite finished it and don't want to give away spoilers, but in the end, I don't really care for the writing. The entire script has a rhyming scheme which sometimes feels clever but more often than not, feels really forced. Not only that, but they'll often include multiple characters in the same dialogue box to keep the rhyme going which makes it harder to follow than it needed to be.

Overall, I'd say that the visuals, gameplay (specifically combat), and music are the highlights and not so much the story/dialogue, but maybe the ending will really wow me.

DirtyLarry

So can someone elaborate on the RPG elements of the game? Specifically how important are they?
I am not a huge RPG player but I love platformers.
The visual style and level design that I have seen make it seem like a platformer, but it is continuously referred to as an RPG.

So I am wondering is this game more of an RPG presented as a platformer?
Or more of a platformer with RPG elements?

Begaria

It's not a platformer, it's a RPG. From what I understand, you get wings early on which lets you fly about, so there's no "platforming" per se (i.e. jumping from one thing to another and avoiding pitfalls).

Seda

So can someone elaborate on the RPG elements of the game? Specifically how important are they?
I am not a huge RPG player but I love platformers.
The visual style and level design that I have seen make it seem like a platformer, but it is continuously referred to as an RPG.

So I am wondering is this game more of an RPG presented as a platformer?
Or more of a platformer with RPG elements?

Child of Light is best described as sidescrolling RPG - it's barely a platformer.

And as for narrative, it's certainly not a selling point of the game. It's a whimsical fairytale, nothing especially strong but I don't think it detracts from the whole. However I don't put a lot of emphasis/value on that in general.

In desperate need for another game on my X1. Seems like the ps4/x1 versions are on a technical scale the same, So ill probably get it for my xbox.

Vamphuntr

I've read Gamespot and Edge's reviews and I think I will wait to pick it up in a steam sale. The only thing that had really me interested is the Grandia-like combat and it seems to be so simple (only 2 characters in battles) from what I read that I don't think it will be enough to have me pick it up right now. The complaint about the 70 skills not mattering was already raised in another thread where people called it an illusion of choice and it seems to be the case. That's too bad. Edge reviews is also talking about how you level up after pretty much every battle for a good while. That reminds me of those awful unbalanced iOS RPGs.

Game's seems to look really good but I'm not feeling anything from the storybook thematic.

DirtyLarry

Child of Light is best described as sidescrolling RPG - it's barely a platformer.
Thanks for the response. I admittedly did not know much about the game other than the screenshots and one or two trailers I have seen, so it makes absolutely sense how it is a sidescrolling RPG and not a platformer. I was just seeing what I wanted I believe.

I still adore the visual style though, so do plan on picking it up later down the road just ti see it in action.

I've read Gamespot and Edge's reviews and I think I will wait to pick it up in a steam sale. The only thing that had really me interested is the Grandia-like combat and it seems to be so simple (only 2 characters in battles) from what I read that I don't think it will be enough to have me pick it up right now.The complaint about the 70 skills not mattering was already raised in another thread where people called it an illusion of choice and it seems to be the case. That's too bad. Edge reviews is also talking about how you level up after pretty much every battle for a good while. That reminds me of those awful unbalanced iOS RPGs. Game's seems to look really good but I'm not feeling anything from the storybook thematic.

Actually, there are relatively few abilities in the game. For example, the main character has Attack, Defend, a couple attack spells, a buff spell, and some Target: All variants. You get most of your skill variety by swapping characters in and out.

The 2 characters in battle worried me before I played it, but between the firefly 3rd character & instant battle swapping, the whole system works really well. Very fun on Hard mode.

Jomjom

Banned
Someone tell me, is Polygon a professional game review outlet? Last time I checked they are. Seeing as how reviews are a major part of their business would it have killed them to at least try all of the difficulties at least once? They didnt even have to play through the game multiple times as you can switch difficulties on the fly. How about, you know, once you have all the abilities in the game, switch to hard difficulty for 20 minutes and give an impression of how combat is then? Or you know assign a reviewer who even plays JRPGs much less likes them or understands them??

Professional car reviews generally dont fail to tell me the topspeed or the 0-60 time just because the vast majority of people wont take it all the way to 120mph or take their car to the track for a quarter mile race.

Professional movie reviews for action flicks arent 1 sentence long claiming that the movie is good because it has explosions and fights even if the majority of people going to those movies are going just for that.

Harts316

It's always funny to see Gies dig his heels in when he gets called out on his BS.

Polygon is such a weird site. They try really really hard to come off as an elite site that is a "premium" brand all wrapped up in their pretentious design. Then you have Gies running around like an immature baby who lacks professionalism.

Jomjom

Banned
It's always funny to see Gies dig his heels in when he gets called out on his BS.

Yeah love his defense of hey I'm doing the bare minimum at my job. Our world would be so much better if every person had the same mentality in their professional life.

Xater

Someone tell me, is Polygon a professional game review outlet? Last time I checked they are. Seeing as how reviews are a major part of their business would it have killed them to at least try all of the difficulties at least once? They didnt even have to play through the game multiple times as you can switch difficulties on the fly. How about, you know, once you have all the abilities in the game, switch to hard difficulty for 20 minutes and give an impression of how combat is then? Or you know assign a reviewer who even plays JRPGs much less likes them or understands them??

When I review a game, and I am by no means a professional, I do this if the default seems to be too hard or too easy. It's really not much to ask for.

Harts316

Yeah love his defense of hey I'm doing the bare minimum at my job. Our world would be so much better if every person had the same mentality in their professional life.

His general attitude and immature reactions to criticism seem to be at odds with the image they are trying to project with their site.

Converse

Banned
how's the story? that's usually what i care about the most when i play a jrpg. a story that engages me enough to keep playing.

You might want to have a look at the review I posted a page back -- the presentation of the story is mostly what it focuses on, and that particular reviewer has issues with it. Similarly, The Guardian's preview says that the game's poetry is "so unutterably terrible that as soon as a subtitle appears you'll be bracing yourself for more jarring, punishment-grade doggerel."

On the flip side, Nintendo Life, for example, loves it. And they usually have pretty solid reviews.

Nintendo Life said:
Child of Light also trades the major depth of story found in some RPGs for a narrative and dialogue told almost entirely in rhyme. It’s a bold and exhaustive-sounding move, but amazing in how well it works. Treated more like an epic poem than nursery rhymes, the flow rarely falls into treacly sing-song territory (although there is one character who deliberately trolls the unwritten rhyming rules of the universe). The story of the world and its characters still remains interesting as well, and Aurora’s tale is particularly strong. Far from frilly and helpless, she’s easy to empathize with as she faces conflicting desires and finds her role in the world.

Jomjom

Banned
Polygon is such a weird site. They try really really hard to come off as an elite site that is a "premium" brand all wrapped up in their pretentious design. Then you have Gies running around like an immature baby who lacks professionalism.

Oh Gies has "pretentious" down pat. He completely toes the company line in that respect.

His general attitude and immature reactions to criticism seem to be at odds with the image they are trying to project with their site.

When I read Gies' Review, its funny he was disappointed the game was too easy, or didn't offer enough depth on the Easy Difficulty. I guess for him, most games are difficult and offer great depth on easy, why else would he even have chosen it? If it is his lack of experience with RPGs, then why is he reviewing it in the first place? He seemed surprised, or at least ,disappointed in how it played on Easy Difficulty, but never delved into Normal or Hard.

Oh well, I guess he should take a freaking gamble and play a game on Normal like most gamers do. It is a review, shouldn't he at least toy around with the other difficulties for a minute or two? Then he could at least comment on how these had no bearing on his opinions on the lack of depth. However, it is probably hard to play a game on Normal or Hard while you are playing with all your kitty cats and tweeting pics of them with one hand while gaming with the other. I kid, I kid.

In all seriousness, the guy just cannot get out of his own way. He always seems to open himself up to criticism by his own doing. If he was a more likeable person, with a more positive engaging personality, I think he wouldn't be given so much crap.

hohoXD123

When I read Gies' Review, its funny he was disappointed the game was too easy, or didn't offer enough depth on the Easy Difficulty. I guess for him, most games are difficult and offer great depth on easy, why else would he even have chosen it? If it is his lack of experience with RPGs, then why is he reviewing it in the first place? He seemed surprised, or at least ,disappointed in how it played on Easy Difficulty, but never delved into Normal or Hard.

Oh well, I guess he should take a freaking gamble and play a game on Normal like most gamers do. It is a review, shouldn't he at least toy around with the other difficulties for a minute or two? Then he could at least comment on how these had no bearing on his opinions on the lack of depth. However, it is probably hard to play a game on Normal or Hard while you are playing with all your kitty cats and tweeting pics of them with one hand while gaming with the other. I kid, I kid.

In all seriousness, the guy just cannot get out of his own way. He always seems to open himself up to criticism by his own doing. If he was a more likeable person, with a more positive engaging personality, I think he wouldn't be given so much crap.

Think he was playing on "normal". Trouble is that normal seems to be easier than other games, and even though you can change difficulty on the fly for some reason he didn't think to change it to hard.

Saty

1. I expect any review of a game with multiple difficulty settings to dabble in more that one of them in order to report how this difficulty change is achieved and if\how it affects the game and mechanics - so that's strike one.

2. It's hard to a reviewer and his review seriously when a major complaint is against the difficulty\depth but he fails to press a button to raise the challenge and check if his complaint still holds true or it brings out other stuff worth to point out - strike two.

3. Twitter nonsense again - strike three. Does Giles ever admit it when he's in the wrong?

Wereroku

When I review a game, and I am by no means a professional, I do this if the default seems to be too hard or too easy. It's really not much to ask for.
Silence! Do not question the Gies. For only he and his knights of the polygon table know the worth of difficulty settings and when frame rate truly matters in a game.

On a side note Robert it's selling me on this game.

Finalow

damn 6.5 on polyg- Lol arthur gies.
if the game was exclusive to xbox I bet the score would have magically changed to 8-9. am i rite arthur

I always thought that Gies was confused and used the same scoring system used in golf.

At least, everything makes a whole lot more sense with that knowledge.

Cat Party

1. I expect any review of a game with multiple difficulty settings to dabble in more that one of them in order to report how this difficulty change is achieved and ifhow it affects the game and mechanics - so that's strike one.
Not defending Gies here but I doubt many reviewers have the time or inclination to test out all the difficulty levels just for the sake of saying they did.

Wereroku

Not defending Gies here but I doubt many reviewers have the time or inclination to test out all the difficulty levels just for the sake of saying they did.

You can change the difficulty on the fly he could have just changed the difficulty for one section of the game and had an idea of its effect.

hohoXD123

But with this game you can change the difficulty on the fly, it's hardly time consuming to press a button and see what it does. There's no excuse.

Edit: Beaten. In related news:

it's a free country, etc etc, so you can say whatever you want. but i am not obligated to interact with people acting like jerks.

(especially people acting like jerks over a review for a game that almost no one has played.)

Don't think I've ever seen him admit to being at fault on anything, would be nice to be proven wrong.

His job is literally to play video games and tell people about them, he gets paid money to do that, think about that

taco543

So glad to hear all the praise I honestly pre ordered this on a complete whim off of psn and when i started looking into it made me more and more hyped.

FDC1

I just looked at Metacritic: the game stands at the moment at 80 despite 13 scores between 80 and 100 and only Edge score at 50. Edge has a huge weighting in the metastore lol.

I just looked at Metacritic: the game stands at the moment at 80 despite 13 scores between 80 and 100 and only Edge score at 50. Edge has a huge weighting in the metastore lol.

Yeah, it's pretty horrible. If each site was weighed equally in that Metacritic average, it would currently be sitting at 84.12%. But if you get a couple of popular heavily weighted sites that hate the game, your Metacritic rank just tanks.

From what I can tell, the lowest scores for the game are Edge (5/10), Polygon (6.5/10), and Joystiq (3.5/5). Edge & Polygon complained that the game lacked depth & difficulty (which is easily fixed by playing it on Hard), while Susan Arendt's review at Joystiq said she felt it was competently made but lacked soul. Everybody else is giving it 80% or higher with a few sites like RPGamer giving it a perfect score.

Looking at the Joystiq review, it sounds like her main issue is with the dialogue style making it hard to get into the story. Which to be fair, is a valid complain as that's probably the most divisive part of the game.

breakfuss

Yeah, it's pretty horrible. If each site was weighed equally in that Metacritic average, it would currently be sitting at 84.12%. But if you get a couple of popular heavily weighted sites that hate the game, your Metacritic rank just tanks.

From what I can tell, the lowest scores for the game are Edge (5/10), Polygon (6.5/10), and Joystiq (3.5/5). Edge & Polygon complained that the game lacked depth & difficulty (which is easily fixed by playing it on Hard), while Susan Arendt's review at Joystiq said she felt it was competently made but lacked soul. Everybody else is giving it 80% or higher with a few sites like RPGamer giving it a perfect score.

So you'd feel better if everyone gave it the same score? All 8.5s? I find it hilarious that no one complains when Polygon deviates by actually beating the average. I need to stop getting sucked into these debates because people will believe what they want. Though I'm not sure what you assume their motives are with this particular review. It's hardly a high profile release.

So you'd feel better if everyone gave it the same score? All 8.5s? I find it hilarious that no one complains when Polygon deviates by actually beating the average. I need to stop getting sucked into these debates because people will believe what they want. Though I'm not sure what you assume their motives are with this particular review. It's hardly a high profile release.

No, I'm saying that Metacritic is a horrible site and the fact that it's not even a straight average across sites.

Somebody thinks about buying a game and does a cursory look at Metacritic, sees an "average" score of 78% and decides against it. Not realizing that almost everyone thought it was a good to great game (80%-85%) with a couple sites thinking it was a masterpiece (90%+) but because a couple of popular sites that are heavily weighted in the Metacritic average hated it, it dropped the score down into the dreaded mediocre range.

And this particular instance hits a nerve with me in particular because Polygon's review (the first review from a major site that was up since they broke the review embargo) complained about a lack of depth & difficulty while refusing to acknowledge the existence of higher difficulty levels which were included precisely to address just that problem. We've had that exact same issue with some reviews of our own games - people complaining that our game's are too easy and yet not playing them on Hard or Insane mode.

saunderez

I wonder if Gies changes controls between normal/inverted or if he always just goes with whatever the developer set.

He plays with the most ridiculous controller grip I've ever seen. He cannot use a controller as it was intended to be used.

Clawone.jpg

He plays with the most ridiculous controller grip I've ever seen. He cannot use a controller as it was intended to be used.

I am a master and proponent of the Monster Hunter claw(tm) technique so I can't judge him too harshly, but what in the fuck is he doing there?

saunderez

I am a master and proponent of the Monster Hunter claw(tm) technique so I can't judge him too harshly, but what in the fuck is he doing there?

I dunno. I'm trying to figure out what benefit you get from that grip. I've tried it myself and it doesn't seem to have one. How do you button mash for instance? Take your thumb off the right analog, re-position the controller in your hand then use your thumb?

Scher

That's pretty much how I play with a controller if I need to use face buttons and triggers in a game. It was especially helpful when I was speedrunning Demon's Souls, since it allowed me to easily control the camera, run/dodge, and hit things at the same time.

I dunno. I'm trying to figure out what benefit you get from that grip. I've tried it myself and it doesn't seem to have one. How do you button mash for instance? Take your thumb off the right analog, re-position the controller in your hand then use your thumb?

And yes, you would just have to re-position your hand if you wanted to button mash. It's pretty easy to change the configuration of your hand when you need to.

saunderez

That's pretty much how I play with a controller if I need to use face buttons and triggers in a game. It was especially helpful when I was speedrunning Demon's Souls, since it allowed me to easily control the camera, run/dodge, and hit things at the same time.

That's fair enough, but would you complain about the controls in a game if they were designed around the controller be held the traditional way? Because Gies does.

Scher

That's fair enough, but would you complain about the controls in a game if they were designed around the controller be held the traditional way? Because Gies does.

There's really no reason for him to complain. Just change your grip. I'm always changing my grip depending on what I'm playing or what I'm doing in a game. It doesn't take much to adjust.

saunderez

There's really no reason for him to complain. Just change your grip. I'm always changing my grip depending on what I'm playing or what I'm doing in a game. It doesn't take much to adjust.

Absolutely. I'm a proponent of the "muscle spasm" technique for games that have a ridiculous amount of button mashing myself. Obviously you can't use that technique for other games so you adjust.

What the fuck is that? He holds a controller that way?

I've been told it's called the Southpaw Claw.

Top Bottom