• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light Review Thread

Doran902

Except one of those opinions is downright factually wrong - there is gear in the game. It's called oculi - they're these gems that you get that can be combined to form new & more powerful gems via the game's crafting system. It's actually a pretty cool system.

Not only that, but there's pseudo-gear in all the stat-up items the game throws at you.

Oh and RPGamer gave it a 5/5 to add to the list: http://rpgamer.com/games/childoflight/childoflight/reviews/childoflightstrev1.html

He specifically mentions the oculi in the review. I'm assuming gems =/= gear to him.

Nestunt

I wish there was some kind of a law that prohibited "difficulties" in games, sometimes it feels more like a crutch for developers than a service to consumers

It's completely valid to review a game on normal. I don't think anybody should object to that. It's called normal for a reason, and it's what most gamers choose in any game.

Yeah, this game's reception from certain sites and some of the reviews of our own games have just confirmed my plans that our next game will not have a Normal difficulty because that makes people think they SHOULD be playing it on that difficulty instead of picking the correct difficulty for the experience they want to have: http://zeboyd.com/2013/06/24/why-i-dont-think-our-next-game-will-have-a-normal-difficulty-setting/

In Child of Light's case, pretend that Normal difficulty is actually Easy. It's intended for young children, people who haven't played an RPG before, and people who just want to focus on the story. If you want entertaining, strategic combat, pick Hard mode.

He specifically mentions the oculi in the review. I'm assuming gems =/= gear to him.

Except functionally, it's totally gear. In fact, it's even more flexible than traditional gear systems because one oculi gives different benefits depending on which slot you equip it in (the attack slot, the defense slot, or the miscellaneous slot). For example, one gem might give your attack an element, defense against that element, or boost your HP depending on the slot. And some of the more advanced oculi give more interesting bonuses like starting you further along the time bar each turn or give you a big bonus to damage when low on health.

I've been playing games on Hard difficulties for quite a while now because I usually don't have the time to go replay a game back just to see what differences are between normal and hard.

When I get CoL, I'll probably play this on normal and then play it on hard since this game wouldn't take too long to beat, even though it'll push the backlog just a bit. It's probably what Gies should've done in the beginning if he found the game too easy.

I'm so glad that this game is getting a lot of praise. It looks beautiful and its been on my radar for quite some time. I know it's not going to be a very long game, but for $15 it's going to be totally worth it for me.

That Robert Boyd review of Aegies' review was pretty great.

Can't wait for reviewers to play Wolfenstein The New Order on "Can I Play, Daddy?" or "Don't Hurt Me" difficulty.

wolfenstein_the_new_order_difficulty_by_digi_matrix-d7f7vya.jpg

AwShucks

Read a few reviews. I feel like it will be good enough to justify my $15. Battle systems sounds fun and that's about all Bravely Default had going for it and I played that for 20+ hours.

Cat Party

Yeah, this game's reception from certain sites and some of the reviews of our own games have just confirmed my plans that our next game will not have a Normal difficulty because that makes people think they SHOULD be playing it on that difficulty instead of picking the correct difficulty for the experience they want to have: http://zeboyd.com/2013/06/24/why-i-dont-think-our-next-game-will-have-a-normal-difficulty-setting/
Good idea. From a player's perspective, I really appreciate it when the developers communicate to me what the differences in the difficulty levels actually are. Labels can easily be misunderstood.

Also, I mentioned this in the other thread, but I found it funny in how badly the reviewer failed to understand how the gameplay really works.

From the Edge review:

"Then your ranks are swollen by a warrior with a taunt to draw enemy attention, high health to ensure he’s rarely in danger, and better damage output than anyone else in your party. There’s no reason not to use him, no incentive or need to mix up your approach, and the rest of the game is a walkover as what should be a tactical and dynamic combat system instead becomes one-note."

This is a game where speed is the god stat because it lets you make more moves, avoid getting interrupted, and makes it easier to interrupt the enemy. The character they're talking about has drastically lower speed than everybody else. Yeah, his attack power is the highest by default, but his actual DPS so to speak isn't very good. In short, the character they thought was clearly better than everyone else IMO is quite possibly the worst character in the game.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It's completely valid to review a game on normal. I don't think anybody should object to that. It's called normal for a reason, and it's what most gamers choose in any game.

This. Too many times "harder" means that enemies become damage sponges or other tacked in mechanic that make the game frustrating rather than "more challenging".

dex3108

Yes that is true but if game offers higher/lower difficulty levels review should compare it.

There's no problem with playing a game on Normal and reviewing it on Normal.

However, there's a huge problem with complaining in your review that a game is too easy when the game provides a harder difficulty AND even lets you increase the difficulty at any time.

Listonosh

GameZone Review - 9.5/10

Child of Light isn’t the type of game we’re used to from Ubisoft, but it’s the type of game this industry needs. It’s hard not to look at the game and admire its beauty, but underneath the gorgeous visuals is a thought-provoking story that’ll draw you in. All of this rests on top of polished gameplay with enticing mechanics.

KoopaTheCasual

Woah, scores all over. But they seem to be generally positive reviews. Awesome.

Edge really doesn't like anything outside top 10 NPD, doesn't it?
Edge doesn't like anything in general, especially blockbuster titles. They're really hard on everything, but their analysis is usually fair and consistent.

Tonidayo

Whatever the journalists are basing their personal opinions on, i know for myself that i will undoubtedly emptying my virtual wallet to get this title

FryHole

However, there's a huge problem with complaining in your review that a game is too easy when the game provides a harder difficulty AND even lets you increase the difficulty at any time.

Exactly, it takes a certain amount of chutzpah to be aware of different difficulty levels, choose to play on normal and then write "I felt starved for more depth than I ever found". It's a line that suggests a certain degree of desire that might be sated by, say, trying the higher difficulty level.

Not so much starved then as a bit peckish, but not enough to actually get off the settee and see what's in the fridge.

This is a very important distinction. I mean, what is the point of being a professional video game reviewer and not being able to delve into the different difficulties a bit to see what the game actually has to offer? It would be one thing if Hard difficulty was locked at the start and you are forced to play through Normal and Normal is a breeze. But this game has Hard as a starting option along with apparently the ability to bump the difficulty mid game. So how in the world can you take a review seriously that says the game is too easy under these circumstances?

The guy literally never even attempted to try Hard difficulty and this is supposed to be a review we value?

Normal should be normal, not easy. Normal being too easy is a legitimate complaint imo, it's the difficulty that 99% of players will play it at, it should be normal.

If the dev's want normal to be easy for the sake of accessibility or appeal or younger audiences or w/e, they should clearly communicate that at the difficulty select screen (which I don't know if this game does or does not).

Like this:

or This.

EDGE said:
There’s a crafting system, with collectible gems combined to make more powerful ones to slot into weapons for little stat or elemental buffs. There’s a levelling curve that doles out skill points to be spent in a colossal tech tree. And there are Confessions – scraps of paper that flutter on the breeze and, when collected, fill out the story.

What the hell is wrong with the developers at Ubisoft? Why are they consistently pushing out these obnoxious upgrade systems through and through? Jesus, they really are truly masters of the shallow-ocean design that even the "indie" part of the team has to resort to such cheap gimmicks. Are they really so creatively bankrupt they have to borrow elements from their other, more ubiquitous franchises? Or is this some sort of Ubisoft mandate that demands other developers to embed these features in every game they're supposed to play. No wonder this game is getting a middling score from EDGE, the review pretty much described what I need to read.

This game has my attention at one point but now I'm beginning to learn a good lesson right here and then: Never trust a seller who fools you twice - in Ubisoft's case.. ALL OF THE TIME.

Oh, and I'm surprised nobody brought up the long credits in classic Ubisoft fashion.

hohoXD123

Normal should be normal, not easy. Normal being too easy is a legitimate complaint imo, it's the difficulty that 99% of players will play it at, it should be normal.

If the dev's want normal to be easy for the sake of accessibility or appeal or younger audiences or w/e, they should clearly communicate that at the difficulty select screen (which I don't know if this game does or does not).

It's not a legitimate complaint, people should be picking whatever difficulty they're best suited to. When the hardest difficulty is still too easy then there might be a problem.

But that is something that should be explored in a review. That's literally the point of reviews, to have someone tackle and explore the game to provide analysis such as this.
Are you suggesting that the game should only be weighed based on the merit of its Normal mode simply because the makers made a bad decision in their difficulty naming conventions? Or that the reviewer should just flip a switch to Hard mode to try it out for a bit and see if it fixes some of the issues he originally had with the game?

I mean you honestly value a review that plays a game on a difficulty, complains that the game isn't difficult enough, and doesn't ever try another difficulty that is available at any moment to him?

That's a naming problem though.

Don't know if they'll do it, but I sent a message off to one of the developers recommending that they change the difficulty names to "Beginner" and "Expert" in a patch since that's more indicative of the experience they provide than their current Normal/Hard.

What the hell is wrong with the developers at Ubisoft? Why are they consistently pushing out these obnoxious upgrade systems through and through? Jesus, they really are truly masters of the shallow-ocean design that even the "indie" part of the team has to resort to such cheap gimmicks

Child of Light's upgrade systems are hardly obnoxious.

The LV-Up system is really simple. You get a skill point with each LV-Up and use it to buy an upgrade. Each character has 3 completely linear paths so it's about as simple as you can make it while still giving the player some control.

The equipment system isn't particularly complicated either. Combine 3 of the same type of gem for a more powerful version of the gem. Combine 2 or 3 different colors for a different type of gem of the same power level.

Nice to read reviews from the smaller sites, and Seda's review especially detailing the difference between normal and hard being significant.

Here's our review: http://gamefocus.ca/reviews/xbox-one/child-of-light/and-then-there-was-light.php

Loved the game.

No spoilers whatsoever, it's a really enjoyable ride. Not perfect, but surprising in many ways and definitely very refreshing. It's so gorgeous too...

Our reviewer really liked it:

Child of Light PS4 Review - 9/10

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/child_of_light

I'll have to keep that 3D characters vs 2D backgrounds complaint in mind.

Here's mine --> http://www.rpgsite.net/review/3512-child-of-light-review

I cannot stress this enough. Play on Hard. Normal mode is boring as the game puts too many conveniences in place that remove any semblance of challenge or difficulty. Hard mode is is much better.

Enemy strength and defense first and foremost. Secondly, there are these flower pods in battle that the firefly can hover over gather HP, MP, and energy orbs to heal your party during combat. In Hard mode, these 'pods' only release energy orbs - basically the firefly's bar that allows him to slow down enemies. There are still health pickups outside of battle though.

Finally, I believe enemies move faster along the timeline/ATB bar.

Good to hear that the rhyming structure to the writing was successful from most reviews.

Seda

Nice to read reviews from the smaller sites, and Seda's review especially detailing the difference between normal and hard being significant.

Good to hear that the rhyming structure to the writing was successful from most reviews.

Thanks. The rhyming does get a little old, perhaps, but I think fit well with the rest of the game. Don't expect super complex characters or a deep, thought-provoking narrative. It is a fairytale after all.

Gryph

Ah, terrific news. I really would like to see more beautiful 2D games and if this and Valiant Hearts are successful perhaps we will.

I hope people support this kind of work...

KHlover

Banned
Do any of these reviews mention the WiiU version? If it is 1080p60 I might get it for WiiU, else I'll probably buy it for PC.

Top Bottom