• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China's answer to Google Maps is Pixel Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

GONz

Pokielhl said:
Yes! I've seen that place. Why is the Sanlitun area just to the east blocked?
Because the map is outdated. It was blocked during the construction of some new buildings, which are now finished.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
cartoon_soldier said:
I hope Google doesn't go this route. WOuld lose my job.
Yeah I don't think Google is going to put 20 children in a basement and tell them to SketchUp the entirety of North America.

Polari

Looks amazing, but wouldn't it be a million times more useful if they did it in 3D? You're stuck with a single perspective.

whitehawk

Banned
Polari said:
Looks amazing, but wouldn't it be a million times more useful if they did it in 3D? You're stuck with a single perspective.
Rollercoaster Tycoon was 2D. Then first the 3RD game they went 3D and it SUCKED.

sangreal

Polari said:

Google has 3D buildings in some areas in google maps for android. They're boring gray silhouettes though, not nearly as fun/detailed as these. Some cars have the same thing actually so I don't know who provides them to google

tino

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Yeah I don't think Google is going to put 20 children in a basement and tell them to SketchUp the entirety of North America.

Well maybe baidu should start offering sim map for US cities. :)

Adamm said:
pBr4g.jpg

wffCP.jpg

China wins!

This post wins.

The fantasy China looks a lot better than the actual one, and when you run a totalitarian form of government, propaganda is a very handy tool for controlling the population.

santouras

sangreal said:
Google has 3D buildings in some areas in google maps for android. They're boring gray silhouettes though, not nearly as fun/detailed as these. Some cars have the same thing actually so I don't know who provides them to google
They are boring silhouettes that can be rendered on a phone in 3D without dropping the battery life to 30 minutes and dropping the FPS to 3 FPS

This is certainly interesting but there is no way this will replace aerial imagery in interactive mapping.

Edit:

Synth_floyd said:
This post wins.

The fantasy China looks a lot better than the actual one, and when you run a totalitarian form of government, propaganda is a very handy tool for controlling the population.

Very good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom