• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Factory Producing Parts for Wii U Closes Temporarily Due to Anti-JP Demos

Major electronics parts producer Mitsumi Electronics has announced that due to damage caused by the demonstrations including arson-related damage, they will suspend operations at their Aoshima factory until the 18th.

I'm guessing that should be Qingdao if we're talking about a place in China.
(Not to be that guy or anything, just trying to help!)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Delicious how the two hot topics of the day were Wii U and the Chinese riots, and now they delightfully intertwine for my amusement. Popcorn.gif.

Log4Girlz

The smoke and particle effects are pretty good. The guy on the left on the second pic has some weird shading on his head. Hope they fix that before launch.

Angry Fork

Wish chinese workers had the political consciousness to revolt against their own government instead and demand legitimate communism. Unfortunately this is just about being anti-japan or historical/cultural reasons I guess.

BocoDragon

I'm guessing that should Qingdao if we're talking about a place in China.
(Not to be that guy or anything, just trying to help!)
Not necessarily. No Chinese parts incoming means a Japanese factory has to stop production.

It's not about the rocks, it's about the fishing grounds and supposed resources. Made the news here as well without mentioning Nintendo specifically of course.

I didn't even realise that chinese workers are "allowed" to go on strike/demonstrate without getting hammered down by police.
As long as it supports the party's policy all is good.

IJs6E.jpg

The Chinese version of GET A BRAIN MORANS.

Neo C.

Delicious how the two hot topics of the day were Wii U and the Chinese riots, and now they delightfully intertwine for my amusement. Popcorn.gif.

I'm not amused though. My Wii U has a much higher priority than this nationalistic bullshit. Sigh, all the mainlanders constantly make the life of the Chinese Diaspora harder. :(

BocoDragon

It's not about the rocks, it's about the fishing grounds and supposed resources. Made the news here as well without mentioning Nintendo specifically of course.
I would argue it isn't even about resources. The people rioting don't care about that.

This is about nationalism and old rivalries between China and Japan... And also about whatever purpose this nationalism can be channeled by the CCP leadership as well as Japanese politicians like Tokyo governor Ishihara. CCP has a leadership transition coming up, and they'll use this to secure that transition, as will the Japanese politicians for their own ends.

Yes. This is madness, and what else can you do but watch and laugh at the stupidity of it all?

I'd call it sad and scary before I would funny. It's a pretty extreme instance of herd mentality destroying any kind of rational thought and leading to some REALLY bad destruction. This isn't a few small groups going crazy, this is nearly 100 cities. If things persist, the lasting effects won't be pretty.

BocoDragon

I'd call it sad and scary before I would funny. It's a pretty extreme instance of herd mentality destroying any kind of rational thought and leading to some REALLY bad destruction. This isn't a few small groups going crazy, this is nearly 100 cities. If things persist, the lasting effects won't be pretty.
We don't fundamentally disagree. I've been debating this topic for days online and off. But I'd call the fact that the Wii U has been dragged into this pretty goddamn funny.

All humor is to ease pain. Think about it.

We don't fundamentally disagree. I've been debating this topic for days online and off. But I'd call the fact that this Wii U has been dragged into this pretty goddamn funny.

All humor is to ease pain. Think about it.

I guess. I really only started following this earlier today, so I haven't had a bunch of back and forths about it or anything like that. I imagine someone who has been following it since the beginning would be more likely to look for ways to make it amusing.

BocoDragon

I guess. I really only started following this earlier today, so I haven't had a bunch of back and forths about it or anything like that. I imagine someone who has been following it since the beginning would be more likely to look for ways to make it amusing.
I also live in a city who rioted recently over a hockey game. Stores smashed to bits, in the same way as today (the scale's different, but so is everything in China)

There are riots right now in the middle east over a movie.

It's not really scary, so much as dumb IMO. I've seen it before in human nature.. Not surprised at all that Chinese would be drummed up by anti-Japanese sentiment.

And in two months the cycle will continue as Nintendo fans riot over unfulfilled preorder slips ;P

JordanKZ

These riots are completely insane. Japan is one of the reasons China is now an industrial power house. Japan uses Chinese companies to manufacture it's products so this helps no one. The worst thing is, these pictures are getting out without any censorship meaning the Chinese government also approves. Honestly, riots all over the world with Muslims... Chinese going crazy over Japan. The fuck is wrong with this world?

BocoDragon

These riots are completely insane. Japan is one of the reasons China is now an industrial power house. Japan uses Chinese companies to manufacture it's products so this helps no one. The worst thing is, these pictures are getting out without any censorship meaning the Chinese government also approves. Honestly, riots all over the world with Muslims... Chinese going crazy over Japan. The fuck is wrong with this world?
Of course the Chinese govt approves. This would have never been allowed to happen otherwise.

And I'd say a lot of the rioting in the world today is due to the Internet/social media, allowing for spread of information and mobilization

I would argue it isn't even about resources. The people rioting don't care about that.

This is about nationalism and old rivalries between China and Japan... And also about whatever purpose this nationalism can be channeled by the CCP leadership as well as Japanese politicians like Tokyo governor Ishihara. CCP has a leadership transition coming up, and they'll use this to secure that transition, as will the Japanese politicians for their own ends.
This was in response to people questioning the worth of the rocks. The actual situation is much more complex, mixing economical interest with domestic and foreign policies, history etc.

BocoDragon

This was in response to people questioning the worth of the rocks. The actual situation is much more complex, mixing economical interest with domestic and foreign policies, history etc.
True. It's obviously not easy to sum up in a few sentences. But I would say that, yes, a lot of the reason people are on the ground is because of the simplistic reason of the rocks getting stolen by big mean enemy Japan. They are being used by those who have more tangible aims, however...

Neo C.

But your Wii U is gonna cost $500 when Nintendo has to pay factory workers in Japan $20 an hour instead of $1 in China...

I wouldn't mind letting the Vietnamese build the Wii U. Unfortunately, this won't happen soon, bureacracy and corruption are still too strong in Vietnam. The government needs to step up their game.

Neo C.

Is the cost of labor really such a significant factor ? I doubt it.

Cost of labour is the main part, but also the relatively safe environment and advanced infrastructure. There are other countries with even lower cost of labour, but companies still prefer China, at least until now. This is slowly going to change in the next two decade, if not even earlier because of the rising labour cost in China.

jonno394

I’m surprised there isn’t more of this sort of thing considering what the Japanese did to the Chinese during WWII; however, screw history, I hope they stop. I want my Wii U!

Furoba

I’m surprised there isn’t more of this sort of thing considering what the Japanese did to the Chinese during WWII; however, screw history, I hope they stop. I want my Wii U!

Yeah in Europe we still burn those filthy German cars every time they manage to slip across the border, considering what the Germans did to their neighbours during WWII... :/

Relations with China were normalised 40 years ago.

BocoDragon

Yeah in Europe we still burn those filthy German cars every time they manage to slip across the border, considering what the Germans did to their neighbours during WWII... :/

Relations with China were normalised 40 years ago.

Yeah it's not so much atrocities 70 years ago that are the concern, so much as how
1. lack of atonement and nationalism continued in the decades since, and more importantly
2. how it's been strategically unleashed by political interests over the past weeks and months for their own purposes.

farnham

Banned
seems like china is beginning to stretch its muscle..

nearly all manufacturers have their product manufacturing in china now and only HQ rwmains in the region the company originates from

not saying the senkaku or diaoyu isles belong to japan or vice versa but this will hurt the japanese companies in the future...

Persona86

Banned
Your avatar says it all.

Enough is enough. :(

BocoDragon

European history (EU, "outer threat" Sowjet Union) as well as how we Germans dealt with our crimes probably has a lot to do with it. No (non-Nazi) German politician would ever dare to relativise the crimes.
Definitely. You might have paid a price in terms of national guilt, but it has gone a long way to easing resentment.

farnham

Banned
It's a lot more convenient than pretty much anywhere else currently. The lack of work regulations/safety conditions is very important, as is the fact pretty much everything is manufactured not too far away, which (among other things) reduces the manufacturing time (and cost). The actual cost of labor, i.e. the income of the workers, is low, but it's far from the only reason they manufacture there and it has a lot less influence on the final price than many realize, most certainly it wouldn't lead to $500 Wii Us.

European history (EU, "outer threat" Sowjet Union) as well as how we Germans dealt with our crimes probably has a lot to do with it. No (non-Nazi) German politician would ever dare to relativise the crimes.

so thats why the german secret service helped nazi terrorists to kill 10 innocent immigrants the last decade..

to say germany is white washed from its crimes is way too naive when xenophobia and antisemitism is widely accepted in germany with people like dobrindt (high ranking politician) are openly discussing to ban immigrants that are not highly qualified

urfe

not saying the senkaku or diaoyu isles belong to japan or vice versa but this will hurt the japanese companies in the future...

Interesting, I think companies pulling out, and having factories in Vietnam or the Philippines (coincidentally both countries with territory disputes with China) will hurt China more than Japan.

2MF

Cost of labour is the main part, but also the relatively safe environment and advanced infrastructure. There are other countries with even lower cost of labour, but companies still prefer China, at least until now. This is slowly going to change in the next two decade, if not even earlier because of the rising labour cost in China.

To spell it out a bit more, it's also largely because in China factories are allowed to pollute a lot more, which means Western companies can export pollution to China without paying any fines. This won't stop until Chinese are pissed off enough about the destruction of their land.

C.T.

I don't want to be "that guy", especially with being german, but Japan never really admitting their warcrimes during WWII or even acknowledging their killings in Nanjing, of forced prostitution of chinese women, which they call by the euphemism "pleasure women" (ianfu), might have played a part in it. It took an eighth party coalition led by Hosokawa in the 90s to finally speak of the truth. MPs visiting the yasukuni shrine (we are looking at you Koizumi) to honour fallen citizens in WWII including warcriminals didn't help either. Of course these feelings are instrumentalized by the chinese government but I met a lot of chinese in my generation in Japan who still have mixed feelings about Japan, some even expressed their hatred and just came for the education. It's anecdotal evidence, but Japans media often underline their role as victims of WWII while their role as aggressors is neglected.

Top Bottom