• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Factory Producing Parts for Wii U Closes Temporarily Due to Anti-JP Demos

BigDug13

Every country glosses over the bad shit they did when teaching kids in History class, hoping to eventually pretend it never happened. It's just too bad the grudges continue to fester.

Apology/Acknowledgement or not, Japan is a much different place than they were back then.

farnham

Banned
Interesting, I think companies pulling out, and having factories in Vietnam or the Philippines (coincidentally both countries with territory disputes with China) will hurt China more than Japan.

china has more than enough business and tech input from usa, europe and korea. also when it comes to alliances in that region that you speak of... japan has much more problems (due to their daitoa policy in the SEA region)

33d802fe.jpg

Jeez. Hope everyone is okay.

farnham

Banned
I don't want to be "that guy", especially with being german, but Japan never really admitting their warcrimes during WWII or even acknowledging their killings in Nanjing, of forced prostitution of chinese women, which they call by the euphemism "pleasure women" (ianfu), might have played a part in it. It took an eighth party coalition led by Hosokawa in the 90s to finally speak of the truth. MPs visiting the yasukuni shrine (we are looking at you Koizumi) to honour fallen citizens in WWII including warcriminals didn't help either. Of course these feelings are instrumentalized by the chinese government but I met a lot of chinese in my generation in Japan who still have mixed feelings about Japan, some even expressed their hatred and just came for the education. It's anecdotal evidence, but Japans media often underline their role as victims of WWII while their role as aggressors is neglected.

yasukuni is a wicked place.. as a korean/german it was the most twisted view on WW2 that i have ever seen

2MF

I don't want to be "that guy", especially with being german, but Japan never really admitting their warcrimes (...)

As someone who visited Germany (particularly Berlin), I think you are allowed to be that guy, because it was very obvious that Germany did own up to the crimes committed in the Nazi era. In fact I have never seen a country owning up to its bad deeds as much as Germany does, with museums about the holocaust etc.

Eric C

Well damn. Hope nobody was injured in that fire.

THOSE tiny little islands creating a Wii U supply shortage. I never would have even thought of it last week.

Now I have no idea if my preorder will be any good. :(

2MF

Now I have no idea if my preorder will be any good. :(

This should not have any effect on preorders (assuming the place where you pre-ordered had launch supply guaranteed).

The launch consoles probably finished manufacturing a few weeks or months ago, not to mention their components.

If this results in a supply shortage it be a while until this shortage reaches retail.

C.T.

so thats why the german secret service helped nazi terrorists to kill 10 innocent immigrants the last decade..

to say germany is white washed from its crimes is way too naive when xenophobia and antisemitism is widely accepted in germany with people like dobrindt (high ranking politician) are openly discussing to ban immigrants that are not highly qualified

I know your cynical here, but that comment is a little bit misleading, especially for people who don't follow the NSU case and who aren't familiar with the differences of the Verfassungsschutz (a secret service, translation would be: federal office for the production of the constitution) Your implying there's something wrong with our constitution and that our Verfassungschutz took part in killing, like it is similiar to the STASI. I think this as an baseless accusation. Which doesn't mean they messed up though and things have to change.
For those who want to know what it's about: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...estigation-into-nsu-neonazi-case-8139241.html

Intelligence agencies in Germany work differently than the FBI for example. We have no federal police, there is the BKA but it holds no power over the state police and is mostly organisational. Law enforcement is strictly vested in the states. After the STASI's abuse of power intelligence agencies can't enforce laws anymore. They have to work actively with police forces and have no power over them. They strictly observe, are supposed to share their knowledge with law enforcement agencies and use police informants to get their information. Working with these criminals, so called V-männer (V for Verfassungsschutz), is a highly critisized practice. (there's a racist political party and the Verfassungsschutz wanted to bann it, but it is so infiltrated by V-Männer that it's hard to distinguish between crimes commit by them and non-v-männer, that's why attempts to bann it failed. According to law they have to inform the Minister of the Interior. In the NSU case, they fucked up, didn't share their knowledge, which might have prevented innocent people from getting killed by racists. Reasons for the mess up could be; they are infiltrated by brown scum and supported their "brothers" but structural problems are more likely IMO. Also, the LKA (state police) was involved as well. It could be a case of one hand didn't knew what the other did. It's not exclusive to Germany. We could talk about the legitimacy of secret services all day though. It's still under investigation, there's a parlamentary commitee of investigation to figure out what happened. All agencies are suppossed to cooperate, but even the minister of the interior Frank Henkel (of berlin) witheld some information for all we know. Heads have to roll, people have to take responsibility and structures might have to be changed, I just don't think this was all caused by brown bureaucrats. We know about similiar cases where the FBI didn't know what the CIA did or they didn't want to share their exclusive knowledge. I think this is something which needs to be discussed. A value of a secret service is measured by the knowledge they held, but this lake of transpirancy could lead to a desaster as well. I know that the Verfassungsschutz is suppossed to share vital information with the public as well, if it helps to prevent crimes. I don't know alot about the CIA and FBI though. But I think, in general, our constitution is quite good.

Top Bottom