• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chomsky: Nov 8 is possibly most important date in history; GOP historically dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that we are upset but come on.

flS7xgG.gif

It's ironic that your GIF perfectly encapsulates the problem.

I think there is some element of intent, at least among parts of the Republican apparatus, to allow climate change to occur, because it disadvantages poorer countries disproportionately, and may be a boon to the U.S. It is as if they are accelerating a new genocide, against equatorial countries, against poor people, against those countries which do not have economies strong enough to rebound or adapt to a changing world. If the American Midwest becomes more temperate, and there is a greater latitude for an agrarian economy within the U.S., and a greater need for other countries to import goods from the U.S., we distance ourselves from those countries to an insurmountable degree. Much of the rest of the world will become dependent on us. And those areas of the United States that are most negatively affected by the change in temperature and rising sea levels are along the coast, where populations tend to be more liberal. The destruction of these areas ensures a stronger footprint for conservative lawmakers, those who are directly contributing to a changing climate, in the future.

Erm, the Midwest is a miserable dustbowl. It's not very likely to become more agrarian (it already is...?) because of climate change.

Rather, climate change is likely to make wide swathes of the country off the coasts unlivable. The ocean is what regulates the climate and help keep an area temperate. That's one of the major reasons large numbers of humans tend to settle in coastal regions. There's no comparable insulation for, say, Kansas.

Red

Erm, the Midwest is a miserable dustbowl. It's not very likely to become more agrarian (it already is...?) because of climate change.

Rather, climate change is likely to make wide swathes of the country off the coasts unlivable. The ocean is what regulates the climate and help keep an area temperate. That's one of the major reasons large numbers of humans tend to settle in coastal regions. There's no comparable insulation for, say, Kansas.
Hush, I am comfortable with this post apocalypse.

It is better than the reality.
Those people don't just up and die. They move to the Midwest thus making the remaining parts of the country more liberal.
Maybe? They will become decentralized and their influence will be diluted.

Lime

No, in this thread only shrieking, apocalyptic alarmism is allowed. Republicans are 100% mindless murderous genocidal maniacs who hate good and love evil. They are the literal embodiment of Satan, they only want to see as many people suffer as possible, and have no human qualities whatsoever.

I guess this is the result when you spend a generation calling every member of the opposition Hitler. Where else is there to go? So, yeah, the world is over. It's all done. Might as well say goodbye. Hell is empty and demons walk the earth. No hyperbole is possible when describing the horror, etc.

Try telling what you just wrote to someone who can't get an abortion of an unwanted baby as teenager. Or to a BLM supporter who got thrown to jail and beaten up for protesting police murder of black Americans. Or to the Hispanic woman who gets yelled at to go home where she comes from. Or to the hijab wearing Muslim who gets spit on in public. Or to someone who's losing their brother to cancer and is overwhelmed in hospital bills. Or to the entire nation of the Maldives who will be the first country to be submerged from climate changes that the US has accelerated willfully for decades.

At best they're willful ignorants who won't listen to reason that result in people facing unnecessary oppression and hardship, and ultimately will be the deaths of us a large part of the Earths population. Malicious or just plain ignorant, the result is the same.

No, in this thread only shrieking, apocalyptic alarmism is allowed. Republicans are 100% mindless murderous genocidal maniacs who hate good and love evil. They are the literal embodiment of Satan, they only want to see as many people suffer as possible, and have no human qualities whatsoever.

I guess this is the result when you spend a generation calling every member of the opposition Hitler. Where else is there to go? So, yeah, the world is over. It's all done. Might as well say goodbye. Hell is empty and demons walk the earth. No hyperbole is possible when describing the horror, etc.

Regardless of your own personal intent, think more broadly about the people you elect to represent you and what they stand for at large.

If you are a single issue voter (I.e., lower my taxes at any cost), you may very well wind up fucking over the entire world because you didn't read the fine print.

Red

Regardless of your own personal intent, think more broadly about the people you elect to represent you and what they stand for at large.

If you are a single issue voter (I.e., lower my taxes at any cost), you may very well wind up fucking over the entire world because you didn't read the fine print.
HsDE87A.jpg

mlclmtckr

Banned
I don't know how children of Republican congressmen can stay sane. Their lawmaking parents would literally allow them or their children to face serious struggles of survival, for short term monetary gain.

The Republican parents say "global warming is a hoax perpetuated by liberal academia" and the kids go "oh OK."

BBboy20

Some folks here have NO IDEA just how much big business gives a shit about the future.

Answer: Absolutely fucking none.

Is this a joke?

Just by posting on NeoGAF, driving to work and/or school, and eating food that's shipped to your city from across the country, you're outputting more CO2 than the average person in China, many, MANY of whom are still living in a barely industrial world.
For some reason I didn't expect Canada to be even higher than the US.

malyce

Eh.. let's be honest, it's not like we give a fuck about the well being of the earth. It's more about how climates change will affect us and the quality of our lives. Thing is.. humans only learn by making mistakes. If 90% of the world's population needs to be wiped out for us to learn, then so be it. It's a non factor in the grand scheme of things.

Blader

I think there is some element of intent, at least among parts of the Republican apparatus, to allow climate change to occur, because it disadvantages poorer countries disproportionately, and may be a boon to the U.S. It is as if they are accelerating a new genocide, against equatorial countries, against poor people, against those countries which do not have economies strong enough to rebound or adapt to a changing world. If the American Midwest becomes more temperate, and there is a greater latitude for an agrarian economy within the U.S., and a greater need for other countries to import goods from the U.S., we distance ourselves from those countries to an insurmountable degree. Much of the rest of the world will become dependent on us. And those areas of the United States that are most negatively affected by the change in temperature and rising sea levels are along the coast, where populations tend to be more liberal. The destruction of these areas ensures a stronger footprint for conservative lawmakers, those who are directly contributing to a changing climate, in the future.

No one who denies climate change is thinking that far ahead.

Lime

Eh.. let's be honest, it's not like we give a fuck about the well being of the earth. It's more about how climates change will affect us and the quality of our lives. Thing is.. humans only learn by making mistakes. If 90% of the world's population needs to be wiped out for us to learn, then so be it. It's a non factor in the grand scheme of things.

No it's not so be it when we know what needs to be done but we have a bunch of rich fascists who are obstructing for decades any sense of progression or action towards avoiding it.

No it's not so be it when we know what needs to be done but we have a bunch of rich fascists who are obstructing for decades any sense of progression or action towards avoiding it.

This is the exact problem: rich oligarchs with a bunker mentality that manipulate society via divide and conquer tactics. They utilize the media to pit citizens against each other and reap the rewards in the meantime while no watches them steal from your wallet and your future.

Skinpop

Yup. Politicians are very very cheap.
They dont mind Fucking all of us over for personal short term gains.

at least that's what people expect of politicians to some degree. bribed scientist that work for sponsored "think-tanks", now that's the lowest level of moral depravity.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They've got a ways to go to surpass the body count of the Nazi party....or the Mongol Empire for that matter.

This might sound cold but even if Genghis went on to conquer and destroy, I don't know, 70% of the world's population it's something humanity can recover from. We can almost always make more people. We've had a lot of practice at making more people, it's what we're naturally equipped to do.

What we're not equipped to do is create more arable land or more reservoirs of freshwater. We're not equipped to change the chemical composition of the atmosphere, to reverse the process of desertification. Chomsky isn't saying the Republicans are dangerous because they might kill a lot of people. They're dangerous because their policies revolve around hastening the entropic degradation of the planet. People dying is just a side effect of literally making places unlivable.

And he's right. There is no historical precedent for it. The closest thing in history to what's going on right now was the threat of a nuclear winter brought about by a global war, and the solution there was relatively simple: don't use nukes, and dissuade people from using nukes.

This is like if nuclear winter became inevitable, and as everyone scrambled frantically stop using nukes, the GOP stepped up and said: "Let's launch ALL our nukes."

Brinbe

Completely right... A party by and for the rich and entitled that actively exploits the poor and stupid. And it's sad that this decision will have harsh ramifications all over the world. Humanity is fucked.

Aurongel

GOP denial of climate change is probably much simpler than many of you are making it out to be. The GOP is beholden to business interests, some of the most historically powerful companies are the fossil fuel industries, anything that can be perceived as critical of such historic corporations is viewed as foreign propaganda. I doubt it's a giant conspiracy to disproportionately doom smaller countries, I'm willing to let that be a happy accident.

Future

I used to think trump couldn't win because the Republican Party has essentially become a villain. Spouting lies to rally support, ignoring facts and intellectual findings for profit, ignoring things like climate change.... where the majority of the base is old and probably will not suffer any of the consequences

Then last week I remembered just like a good movie, people often like and root for villains. And now I'm literally here witnessing it, live, and pretty much gotta deal with it

Republican viewpoints on climate change is a prime example of trumps techniques to win: flat out ignore facts and expert testimony in favor of things that sound good if your selfishly inclined. I don't know if the party will lead everything towards disaster, but this will certainly be the most selfish 4 years we will ever see. Every decision made mainly to make short term gains while someone else has to pick up the pieces in the next term

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This is one case wheee I actually think the markets can fix things as fossil fuels become more expensive than renewables...though through fuckery I guess green energy can be stifled.

At least the last of us (heh) will get to piss on the graves of those fuckers who led them into the apocalypse, before they retreat into the shelters holding the 5% that can survive for a bit longer.

shaneskim

Will be sad to see the US trailing behind when other nations have evolved their energy mix to be less reliant on natural resources (which themselves will become more of an object of war).

Its also a shame if renewable R&D research in the US is stunted, double whammy.

Maxim726X

Where I live in the states is likely to be underwater in a century or so.

It will have drastic effects on the world, but we won't go extinct. I guess that's a silver lining?

Humans can't accept a problem if it isn't hitting them directly in the face. That's where we stand.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Your hyperbolic straw man is a cute way to argue about topics other than the fact that Trump and the Republican party have awful views on race, poverty, the environment and individual rights.

Futureman

when they ask him about the similarities between Brexit and Trump being elected, Noam says...

"here are definite similarities to Brexit, and also to the rise of the ultranationalist far-right parties in Europe—whose leaders were quick to congratulate Trump on his victory, perceiving him as one of their own: [Nigel] Farage, [Marine] Le Pen, [Viktor] Orban and others like them. And these developments are quite frightening. A look at the polls in Austria and Germany— Austria and Germany—cannot fail to evoke unpleasant memories for those familiar with the 1930s"

what does he mean about he polls in Austria and Germany right now? What are they saying?

Lime

when they ask him about the similarities between Brexit and Trump being elected, Noam says...

"here are definite similarities to Brexit, and also to the rise of the ultranationalist far-right parties in Europe—whose leaders were quick to congratulate Trump on his victory, perceiving him as one of their own: [Nigel] Farage, [Marine] Le Pen, [Viktor] Orban and others like them. And these developments are quite frightening. A look at the polls in Austria and Germany— Austria and Germany—cannot fail to evoke unpleasant memories for those familiar with the 1930s"

what does he mean about he polls in Austria and Germany right now? What are they saying?

Austria is very close to voting in a neo-nazi as president (new election coming up here next month).

Germany has AfD who continue along similar fascist/racist ideologies as the other European racist parties (UKIP, Front National, Dansk Folkeparti, Fremskridtspartiet, Sverigedemokraterne, Wilders' party, etc.)

The Repubican Party is an ulitmate manifestation of the "I've got mine, fuck everyone else" mentality, so yeah, that's bound to cause serious problems down the line. It's depressing more than anything.

spekkeh

Banned
Remember remember the eighth of November, the Rust Belt Treason for GOP. I see no reason why the Rust Belt Treason should ever be forgot.

boiled goose

good with gravy
at least that's what people expect of politicians to some degree. bribed scientist that work for sponsored "think-tanks", now that's the lowest level of moral depravity.

I dont see how lowered expectations and actually passing legislation makes politicians less bad.

Skinpop

P.E.I. farmer assists in near-eradication of methane from cow farts

looks like we might be able to keep beef around while combating climate change at the same time :)

The agricultural scientist, then at Dalhousie University, helped test Dorgan's seaweed mix, and discovered it reduced the methane in the cows' burps and farts by about 20 per cent.

Kinley knew he was on to something, so he did further testing with 30 to 40 other seaweeds. That led him to a red seaweed Asparagopsis taxiformis he says reduces methane in cows burps and farts to almost nothing.

"I was testing one day a series of samples when all of a sudden it looked like my instruments were having problems, and I wasn't able to see emissions from one particular sample," he said. "So I did it over and over again and lo and behold the methane emissions were eliminated.

"Ruminant animals are responsible for roughly 20 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions globally, so it's not a small number," said Kinley, an agricultural research scientist now working at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation in Queensland, Australia.

"We're talking numbers equivalent to hundreds of millions of cars."

Kinley thinks it could take anywhere from three to five years to get a commercial animal feed to market. He says the biggest challenge will be growing enough seaweed.

Skinpop

This is actually pretty cool. If we had a non-gop congress I'd bet we could incentivize farmers to use this stuff and get it widespread. Could possibly save civilization as we know it.

yeah I hope it doesn't have any nasty side effects and actually leads to something substantial.

Neo C.

This is one case wheee I actually think the markets can fix things as fossil fuels become more expensive than renewables...though through fuckery I guess green energy can be stifled.

Truth be told, considering how much many countries have subsidized the fossil energy industry, we have withheld renewables for at least two decades.

the article isn't long, and I quoted relevant parts... c'mon man...

basically the seaweed has compounds that inhibit methane production.

I know, i read it, but it does not go very deep into it. I mean, it reduces methane but there has to be a byproduct from it anyway, right? Just worried is another one of those articles in which scientists seem to have come up with a solution for something and then, reading the small print, you realize the solution creates other problems they conveniently left out from the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom