• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Benoit family conference on CNN : official thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manics said:
The fact that they aired a "tribute" to this piece of shit is sad.

Now, I'm a bit pissed at the WWE for doing that tribute. They should have done nothing. Now I'll keep remembering JR addressing Benoit's other kids: "I know you're sad kids, but let me tell you, your daddy was a good man!"

Boogie

Masta_Killah said:
Wow, I feel for the family. All Im going to say is let the cops conduct their investigation before you guys start condeming the man. Yes, we know he killed his family, but there are so many variables that are still left unanswered. Was he sane when he did this? Was he out of touch with reality? Did something trumatic happen that would cause him to do this? I mean, people are quick to judge people without first looking at ALL the facts.

Facts, as in the fact that he had a history of making threats of violence against his wife?

fallout

DarkJediKnight said:
Now, I'm a bit pissed at the WWE for doing that tribute. They should have done nothing. Now I'll keep remembering JR addressing Benoit's other kids: "I know you're sad kids, but let me tell you, your daddy was a good man!"
They thought he was a good man. You can't blame them for that.

bjork

Shard said:
Also, to those of you who think the WWE did this for very cynical reasons, I am just not buying it. You mean to tell me that Vince would willingly subject his company to all of this humiliation and embarrassment and the public relations nightmare that this shit must be for them?

You've got a lot of people who don't follow the product, attaching themselves to this news in an attempt to somehow down the product while pumping themselves up because they're "better" than someone who enjoys pro wrestling. I mean, no disrespect to the guy because I think he's cool, but what the hell does Willco know about wrestling, other than it was in a spiderman movie?

Anyway, I think Vince's track record shows that he is willing to go a little bit further than the next guy in order to pop a rating or to get people talking about the storylines... after all, he *did* suggest an angle where he was the father of Stephanie's baby, and he *did* capitalize on the death of Eddie and totally exploit the guy's memory just to give Rey Mysterio and Chavo some storyline credibility. And the limo explosion thing showed that he'd take things pretty far. Bischoff with HLA, Mae Young's puppies, etc etc. He's not afraid to shock people or whatever.

But do I think he knew Benoit killed his family and then still went on with the show? Doubtful. This is the same guy who cut Warrior off completely for no-showing events, and blacklisted Macho Man for allegedly trying to pop Stephanie's cherry or something to that effect, and making Adrian Adonis crossdress for... drug problems making the news, iirc?

If he knew Benoit was a killer, I think there still would've been a RAW, but they either would've had just matches (like ECW/SD are going to be this week), or they'd have gone ahead with the Mr McMahon storyline. WWE is very good at not showcasing talent that's in the doghouse or has burned their bridge, or painting them in a negative light. I think with the draft just taking place and even though Benoit did have a match last week on ECW and was slated to win that title, it would have been possible to sweep him under the rug with little or not mention.

Like I said about 500 times before, they tried to do the right thing so people wouldn't bitch about McMahon's ego taking priority over the death of a popular star on the company's current roster. It just happened to blow up in their face. I don't think there was any exploitation behind it or anything. :shrug:

Burai said:
What an appalling tragedy.

I don't know if I agree with calling Benoit "evil" or a "piece of shit" though. I think mentally ill is a far more fitting description for someone that believes their only path it to kill their immediate family and themself.

It's not like, say OJ Simpson, where he killed his wife because she was taking his money, ran from justice and used the best lawyers, his race and political pressure to get away scot-free and then attempted to sell a book about "how he'd have done it". You want to know evil? That's your poster-child.

What we've got here is a man that's so mentally unhinged that he believes killing his wife, his son and himself are the only answer to his problems. You cannot justify murder and that's certainly not what I'm trying to do here before people start throwing vortexes at me, but I think to just dismiss the man as evil is oversimplifying something we can't ever begin to understand.

The biggest tragedy here is that Chris Benoit never got the psychiatric help he so desperately needed. People have said he's had a snap personality, his wife has once filed for divorce because she felt she and her son were in danger. The signs were there that this could possibly happen once he'd been pushed too far. This was an avoidable situation.

Three lives senselessly lost. A terrible, terrible tragedy.

Yes, I didn't want to bring OJ up, but I totally agree with you. Not only did he murder two people in cold blood, he completely got away with it, and now plays golf for a living. How is that ANY justice? What Benoit did was probably more heinous, but he's dead now, and from what I understand hanging is one of the more painful ways to off yourself. Justice? Hardly. But it's something.

Kenobi

What I don't understand is with what happend with Nancy. So she was strangled by Chris, and yet she was found tied up both wrists and legs in a towel, with blood in the back of her head?

Possible that Chris was Strangling her and in the process was knocking her head around till she hit something? Just wanted to bring this up since it is confusing.

Also, there was mention of "instraments" being used? What his hands?

Zep

Banned
bjork said:
You've got a lot of people who don't follow the product, attaching themselves to this news in an attempt to somehow down the product while pumping themselves up because they're "better" than someone who enjoys pro wrestling. I mean, no disrespect to the guy because I think he's cool, but what the hell does Willco know about wrestling, other than it was in a spiderman movie?

Anyway, I think Vince's track record shows that he is willing to go a little bit further than the next guy in order to pop a rating or to get people talking about the storylines... after all, he *did* suggest an angle where he was the father of Stephanie's baby, and he *did* capitalize on the death of Eddie and totally exploit the guy's memory just to give Rey Mysterio and Chavo some storyline credibility. And the limo explosion thing showed that he'd take things pretty far. Bischoff with HLA, Mae Young's puppies, etc etc. He's not afraid to shock people or whatever.

But do I think he knew Benoit killed his family and then still went on with the show? Doubtful. This is the same guy who cut Warrior off completely for no-showing events, and blacklisted Macho Man for allegedly trying to pop Stephanie's cherry or something to that effect, and making Adrian Adonis crossdress for... drug problems making the news, iirc?

If he knew Benoit was a killer, I think there still would've been a RAW, but they either would've had just matches (like ECW/SD are going to be this week), or they'd have gone ahead with the Mr McMahon storyline. WWE is very good at not showcasing talent that's in the doghouse or has burned their bridge, or painting them in a negative light. I think with the draft just taking place and even though Benoit did have a match last week on ECW and was slated to win that title, it would have been possible to sweep him under the rug with little or not mention.

Like I said about 500 times before, they tried to do the right thing so people wouldn't bitch about McMahon's ego taking priority over the death of a popular star on the company's current roster. It just happened to blow up in their face. I don't think there was any exploitation behind it or anything. :shrug:

This should about end the bitching from people who dont even watch wrestling anymore. Just shut the **** up.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
[/QUOTE]
WickedAngel said:
Yes, you are the fool.

Atonement implies the result of actions that were taken to earn forgiveness. Given the nature of the investigation (No clear motive, no suicide note), nobody knows exactly what Chris Benoit was thinking when he killed his family and followed by killing himself. What we do know is that he, for one reason or another, paid the biggest price a person can pay in this life. This means one of two things;

1. He had some kind of mental disorder and wasn't completely himself when he committed the crimes.

Or

2. He committed the crimes, realized what he'd done was wrong, and took his own life.

OJ Simpson seemingly murdered two people, hired a crafty lawyer, and walked away with his freedom. To make matters worse, he wrote a "hypothetical" How To book in order to profit from what he did. He has paid nothing except money.
Oh god I can't believe I'm doing this. I'll put it as simple as possible.

Listen. You said Benoit PAID for his actions by taking his own life. When someone pays for something in the context you used it it means they have wiped some sort of slate clean. If you truly believe that Benoit's actions were "Paid for" as you so eloquently put it, by taking his own life, you're insane. Oj is a murderer, Benoit is a murderer. I don't care what kind of "dysfunctions" or "Mental illnesses" he may or may not have allegedly had, but there is one fact in all of this, he is a stone cold murderer. Just like Oj. (or maybe not like Oj since Benoit killed 2 people instead of 1)

FightyF

Banned
Burai said:
What an appalling tragedy.

I don't know if I agree with calling Benoit "evil" or a "piece of shit" though. I think mentally ill is a far more fitting description for someone that believes their only path it to kill their immediate family and themself.

It's not like, say OJ Simpson, where he killed his wife because she was taking his money, ran from justice and used the best lawyers, his race and political pressure to get away scot-free and then attempted to sell a book about "how he'd have done it". You want to know evil? That's your poster-child.

What we've got here is a man that's so mentally unhinged that he believes killing his wife, his son and himself are the only answer to his problems. You cannot justify murder and that's certainly not what I'm trying to do here before people start throwing vortexes at me, but I think to just dismiss the man as evil is oversimplifying something we can't ever begin to understand.

The biggest tragedy here is that Chris Benoit never got the psychiatric help he so desperately needed. People have said he's had a snap personality, his wife has once filed for divorce because she felt she and her son were in danger. The signs were there that this could possibly happen once he'd been pushed too far. This was an avoidable situation.

Three lives senselessly lost. A terrible, terrible tragedy.

I agree. What occurred was evil, inhumane, and heinous. But it could have been the result of something external that caused this situation to occur. In the same way anyone here could do something stupid when they are drunk, Benoit could have been affected the same way by drugs. Or, he could have simply went crazy and couldn't distinguish right from wrong.

To say that he was "an evil person" doesn't address the situation and doesn't prevent similar situations from happening again.

koam said:
I was pretty active in that thread and i don't remember anyone bitching until AFTER we found out about the double murder suicide

People were claiming the WWE knew more than we did though, and perhaps that Benoit had something to do with the killings.

Quazar said:
So was the supposed suicide hanging done on a bowflex type weght station? If so I dont get it.

The conference said the wire was used so I think he had to take it of the contraption then make the noose, tie it up somewhere else get him self up to it and then hang himself.

Boogie said:
Facts, as in the fact that he had a history of making threats of violence against his wife?

ALL FACTS! What happened that day, the days before, financial reasons, marital reasons, mental disorder, drug dependence, EVERYTHING. Don't jump to conclusions, your not one of the investigators so you really dont know what happened. All your going by his what is being said on the news. Let the investigators do their job and hopefully we get a much clearer picture of what happened. It's a murder investigation, so it will take a couple days to maybe weeks or months to have a conclusion. Things like this are never simple and black-n-white.

Forceatowulf said:

Listen. You said Benoit PAID for his actions by taking his own life. When someone pays for something in the context you used it it means they have wiped some sort of slate clean. If you truly believe that Benoit's actions were "Paid for" as you so eloquently put it, by takign his own life, you're insane. Oj is a murderer, Benoit is a murderer. I don't care what kind of "dysfunctions" or "Mental illnesses" he may or may not have allegedly had, but there is one fact in all of this, he is a stone cold murderer. Just like Oj. (or maybe not like Oj since Benoit killed 2 people instead of 1)

Hey SWIFT, OJ murdered two people. God, you're effing LOST. Why don't you fact check something before posting? Secondly, no one is saying Benoit's slate is clean. But he's not living it up on the golf course right now, IS HE? Christ.

Zep

Banned
worldrunover said:
People were claiming the WWE knew more than we did though, and perhaps that Benoit had something to do with the killings.

that wasnt until RAW started.

Chiggs

Gold Member
koam said:
I was pretty active in that thread and i don't remember anyone bitching until AFTER we found out about the double murder suicide

I'm sorry, but they should have let things simmer down. The few details that were available--like, you know, the three of them being dead (not even the double murder/suicide angle, either) should have raised a red flag to someone in PR. Here's what SHOULD have happened: Vince should have spoke, and they should have went on with the show. All I could think of last night while watching RAW is just how dumb the WWE was going to look in the morning.

They knee-jerked into a stupid "A Legend has Passed!" style tribute, and now they look like ****ing morons because of it. ****ING MORONS.

jmdajr

Listen. You said Benoit PAID for his actions by taking his own life. When someone pays for something in the context you used it it means they have wiped some sort of slate clean. If you truly believe that Benoit's actions were "Paid for" as you so eloquently put it, by taking his own life, you're insane. Oj is a murderer, Benoit is a murderer. I don't care what kind of "dysfunctions" or "Mental illnesses" he may or may not have allegedly had, but there is one fact in all of this, he is a stone cold murderer. Just like Oj. (or maybe not like Oj since Benoit killed 2 people instead of 1)[/QUOTE]

It's not so black and white. Murder happens for many different reasons.
Yeah he's a murderer, but why? People can learn from these things, and just saying he was a murder/evil and moving on does nothing good.

Boogie

Masta_Killah said:
ALL FACTS! What happened that day, the days before, financial reasons, marital reasons, mental disorder, drug dependence, EVERYTHING. Don't jump to conclusions,

Don't jump to what conclusions? That Chris Benoit was a murderer? That he killed his wife and 7 year old son?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
worldrunover said:
Hey SWIFT, OJ murdered two people. God, you're effing LOST. Why don't you fact check something before posting? Secondly, no one is saying Benoit's slate is clean. But he's not living it up on the golf course right now, IS HE? Christ.
Yeah I totally forgot about the other guy. My mistake. And yes, someone is saying he wiped his slate clean. Wicked said he "Paid for his actions". Like somehow what he did was forgiven or ok because he killed him self. Which is utter insanity.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
jmdajr said:
Yeah he's a murderer, but why? People can learn from these things, and just saying he was a murder/evil and moving on does nothing good.

He killed a kid. He was evil. There is no justifying that at ALL.

He's lucky he killed himself. Otherwise he would've been murdered in prison for being a child killer.

jmdajr

Boogie said:
Don't jump to what conclusions? That Chris Benoit was a murderer? That he killed his wife and 7 year old son?

these things don't JUST happen. We need reasons, and not just blame "evil"

Boogie

jmdajr said:
these things don't JUST happen. We need reasons, and not just blame "evil"

Oh sure. There was probably a "reason" for it. Roid rage, drug-induced rage, insanity, whatever.

None of that changes the fact that he ****ING KILLED HIS 7 YEAR OLD SON.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Masta_Killah said:
ALL FACTS! What happened that day, the days before, financial reasons, marital reasons, mental disorder, drug dependence, EVERYTHING. Don't jump to conclusions, your not one of the investigators so you really dont know what happened. All your going by his what is being said on the news. Let the investigators do their job and hopefully we get a much clearer picture of what happened. It's a murder investigation, so it will take a couple days to maybe weeks or months to have a conclusion. Things like this are never simple and black-n-white.

Killing your own child seems pretty black and white to me.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
jmdajr said:
It's not so black and white. Murder happens for many different reasons.
He murdered his 7 year old son in cold blood.... if that isn't an act of evil I don't know what is.

jmdajr

ManaByte said:
He killed a kid. He was evil. There is no justifying that at ALL.

He's lucky he killed himself. Otherwise he would've been murdered in prison for being a child killer.

Andrea Yates drowned all five of her kids, and she was found NOT GUILTY in a court of law for reasons of insanity. It's not that simple.

thanks for putting everything in 1s and 0s

The guy killed his kid. Dead. Not fake dead, not wrestling dead, but laying in a freezer waiting to be buried dead.

This isn't an episode of Raw.

The guy is a ****head murderer, and 5 million 5 star wrestling matches will never, ever change that and that is his only legacy.

2 people who didn't deserve it are dead, and one of them was a 7 year old. That's what matters here. Not why he did it, or how sad it is that he didn't get the help he needed, or anything else. He's a ****head and that's the only way he deserves to be remembered. The end.

Forceatowulf said:
Yeah I totally forgot about the other guy. My mistake. And yes, someone is saying he wiped his slate clean. Wicked said he "Paid for his actions". Like somehow what he did was forgiven or ok because he killed him self. Which is utter insanity.

I didn't say he "Wiped his slate clean" you imbecile. He paid for his actions as much as he could pay in this world. He is dead. There isn't a bigger price that he can pay to civilization.

You are but another fool who has been added to the ignore list.

Boogie said:

We know he's a murderer, but what were his motivations, his mindset at the time. Him killing his family for no apparent reason does not help us. I mean, don't you want to find out why he did it? Are you going to call a man who killed someone out of self defense a murderer, just because of the end product? Let the investigators do their job, and hopefully we get more info in the coming days.

Nester

koam said:

beermonkey@tehbias
(Yesterday, 08:16 PM)

They shouldn't have a three-hour tribute to him until there's zero doubt that he killed his family.

That was right after Vince spoke and people attacked beermonkey for saying that.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
jmdajr said:
Andrea Yates drowned all five of her kids, and she was found NOT GUILTY in a court of law for reasons of insanity. It's not that simple.

thanks for putting everything in 1s and 0s

I severely doubt that Chris Benoit was suffering from postpartum psychosis when he murdered his 7 year old.

Boogie

jmdajr said:

NOT GUILTY doesn't mean innocent. /Admiral Adama

X26

Banned
Kano On The Phone said:
The guy killed his kid. Dead. Not fake dead, not wrestling dead, but laying in a freezer waiting to be buried dead.

This isn't an episode of Raw.

The guy is a ****head murderer, and 5 million 5 star wrestling matches will never, ever change that and that is his only legacy.

2 people who didn't deserve it are dead, and one of them was a 7 year old. That's what matters here. Not why he did it, or how sad it is that he didn't get the help he needed, or anything else. He's a ****head and that's the only way he deserves to be remembered. The end.

Exactly. I'm amazed people are defending him in this thread and making excuses for what happened (steroids! travel schedule! stress!)

Aisenherz

Banned
Kenobi said:
What I don't understand is with what happend with Nancy. So she was strangled by Chris, and yet she was found tied up both wrists and legs in a towel, with blood in the back of her head?
I think, he murdered her and after that, he wanted to hide her. In a lake, wood, who knows.

jmdajr

ManaByte said:
I severely doubt that Chris Benoit was suffering from postpartum psychosis when he murdered his 7 year old.

its just an example! Plus, some people still think Andrea should be in jail period. That murder is murder. Some folks disagree.

I for one still want to know why. Yes he is a murderer, and want to know why.
If people are fine with just saying he was evil and move on, thats up to them.
Not good enough for me.

Boogie

Masta_Killah said:
We know he's a murderer, but what were his motivations, his mindset at the time. Him killing his family for no apparent reason does not help us. I mean, don't you want to find out why he did it?

Of course I want to learn more about what happened. But we know enough to call him a ****ing murderer.

Are you going to call a man who killed someone out of self defense a murderer, just because of the end product? Let the investigators do their job, and hopefully we get more info in the coming days.

Do you think this was ****ing self defense? He killed his wife on Friday or Saturday. Then killed his 7 YEAR OLD SON A DAY LATER.

THAT ISN'T ****ING SELF DEFENSE.

HE IS A MURDERER.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Masta_Killah said:
We know he's a murderer, but what were his motivations, his mindset at the time. Him killing his family for no apparent reason does not help us. I mean, don't you want to find out why he did it? Are you going to call a man who killed someone out of self defense a murderer, just because of the end product? Let the investigators do their job, and hopefully we get more info in the coming days.

He murdered his kid and his wife, for ****'s sake. There's no possible motive that changes that. No reason that can even remotely justify it.

"Self defense"? wtf?

Boogie

bjork said:
Boogie.

Please post the same post you've posted for the zillionth time?

Please?

Well, if some of you rejects don't quite get it, perhaps repetition might force things to sink in.

cvxfreak

Fight for Freeform said:
I agree. What occurred was evil, inhumane, and heinous. But it could have been the result of something external that caused this situation to occur. In the same way anyone here could do something stupid when they are drunk, Benoit could have been affected the same way by drugs. Or, he could have simply went crazy and couldn't distinguish right from wrong.

To say that he was "an evil person" doesn't address the situation and doesn't prevent similar situations from happening again.

The thing is, a lot of murders are a result of mentally unstable people (and there are those who are pure evil). Do people in general afford random murderer on the channel 2 news the same kind of leeway whether they deserve it or not? Having an illness doesn't make anyone inherently evil, but as you said it's still inexcusable to not only kill your wife but your son, too. Still, everyone's entitled to a full investigation, but it's hard to unhinge his killing of his wife and 7 year old son.

Boogie said:
Of course I want to learn more about what happened. But we know enough to call him a ****ing murderer.

Do you think this was ****ing self defense? He killed his wife on Friday or Saturday. Then killed his 7 YEAR OLD SON A DAY LATER.

THAT ISN'T ****ING SELF DEFENSE.

HE IS A MURDERER.

I was using an example. I wasn't saying Benoit did it for self-defense. Kind of like how jmdajr used Yates as an example. Seriously, you guys have blood in your eyes.

Boogie

jmdajr said:
:) rejects!
thanks man! so nice of you.

I'm only referring to those nutbars writing things like "what about self defense?! Don't jump to conclusions!"

Masta_Killah said:
I was using an example. I wasn't saying Benoit did it for self-defense. Kind of like how jmdajr used Yates as an example. Seriously, you guys have blood in your eyes.

Then you tell me what conclusions I have "jumped to" that aren't warranted by the facts that we know at this point.

bjork

Boogie said:
Well, if some of you rejects don't quite get it, perhaps repetition might force things to sink in.

People understand that the guy killed his kid, killed his wife, killed himself, and now know that he had a history of problems like this. So... fine. You win. Do you feel better about yourself? I really don't see what you gain by going HA SEE I TOLD YOU, other than you think it's giving you e-cred on the other forum or something.

If someone wants to be in disbelief, you're not going to change that until they see it for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom