• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Charla (Microsoft) seems to imply that PUBG is a timed exclusive

I find it funny that his last name is "Charla".

In my country "Charla" could be used to someone that's "talking" to you convinced and with elaborate arguments about something that it's ultimately a lie.

Ricky_R

Do we really need more confirmation for this? The wording was obvious that it will be timed, unless MS and Bluehole change the terms of the contract later on.

Chobel

giphy.gif

Kill3r7

I feel like the only way this was ever staying exclusive to One on consoles was if MS somehow bought the company.

Depending on its performance on consoles it might very well be Minecraft lite. There were rumors that Tencent wanted to invest in Bluehole but they denied them.

blakep267

I just want to know what the control scheme is for this on console/s.

Yup.
They said a little. It of it in the pubg gamescome thread. It has standard fps controls and gears of war like Tps controls. DPad is swapping weapons, etc

I'm assuming the d-pad would also be used for the inventory once you bring up that screen

mas8705

In fairness, I think we all knew this was going to be a timed exclusive. Hell, even those who game with Microsoft probably figured that they would get first dibs on the game before it would spread out to a wider audience.

Wereroku

Just like ROTTR until the developer comes out and says it everyone will go back and forth over this for the next year.

Better buckle in

I mean the aforementioned PlayerUnknown was on the couch with him and agreed that it was a timed exclusive. There isn't really anything else to say it is a full exclusive unless something changes in the future.

LewieP

Seems that it probably would have only skipped PS4 if MS had acquired the studio and IP, which whilst not entirely outside the realm of possibility, would probably have been a little premature.

Rymuth

PS4's lead alone made it an extremely wishful proposition that this was an exclusive.

And that's not factoring how if we assume the Xbox division no longer has access to the warchest.

Faynwulf

How high is the chance that this game will run well on current consoles? I've played it a few months back and it ran so horribly on my pc that I refunded it. Did they fix performance problems?

I wonder if its just for its time in Game Preview or if they have actually locked down a 3, 6 or 12 month exclusivity window?

Then again, I wonder how long it'll be in Game Preview for?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I wonder what kind of exclusivity window they bought.

Because I don't see it launching on consoles in 2017 in any capacity. Would suck if PS4 owners would have to wait until the 2018 XB1 launch + the arbitrary exclusivity period after that. I doubt Bluehole would gimp themselves too much in this situation.

Raide

How high is the chance that this game will run well on current consoles? I've played it a few months back and it ran so horribly on my pc that I refunded it. Did they fix performance problems?

MS are publishing it, so I expect them to have their tech teams guiding the project to make sure it works well.

Kill3r7

I don't think it will matter much early on due to hype. See Friday the 13th or Ark. Too early to tell otherwise.

Kayant

One would think after the rightful shitstorm/poor PR from TR they would be more forth coming with these things it's of coming back/getting worse...

The Xbox has a thing called the "Preview Program" (early access) which the PS4 and Switch don't have.
Multiple unfinished games over the years like Elite Dangerous,ARK:SE,The Long Dark,etc.. have appeared first on XB1 because of this.
PUBG is no exception. Once they have the game fully developed it'll be released on other consoles.

EdgeXL

It's obviously coming to PS4. A game that sold 8 million copies on PC this year would be way too expensive for full console exclusivity.

Memento

I think the confusion in regards to this whole situation is confirmation enough that it is a timed console exclusive. If it was full exclusive they would be shouting out loudly about it.

leeh

Hate this practise, I understand from their point of view they want to make people think its exclusive so they swoop into Xbox for it, but that's just anti-consumer in itself and would annoy anyone who does that.

I hope it doesn't become more and more frequent. Same goes to Activision and Crash.

The only thing I find confusing is if the xbox exclusivity will only cover the early access stage or the the final product will only have an exclusivity period too.
I don't know why they don't clarify this like they did with ROTR (which was less confusing to me). This is so dumb on their part.

EvB

I think the confusion in regards to this whole situation is confirmation enough that it is a timed console exclusive. If it was full exclusive they would be shouting out loudly about it.

A timed exclusives suggests they paid to keep it exclusive for a fixed period of time.

The reality is that the team porting it is tiny (3 people) and much like various other indie games on PS4 and Xbox, sometimes one is chosen to do first.
This is where MS have come in, they are assisting and maybe even the ones paying the salaries of said 3 person team, whilst also providing internal support from their own software engineers. The game has only been available as an early access product on the PC for 4 months, I don’t see why they would have been diverting resources internallly to develop a console version of the game when the PC game is so content light as it stands.

Top Bottom