• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden) has died

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Ah. I haven't kept up with Pearl Jam. Not a big fan of theirs. Alice in Chains is working on a new album as well. They are releasing it this year. Fuck, we could have had both new Soundgarden and Alice in Chains albums this year. :(

I am a huge Pearl Jam but not a huge Alice in Chains guy. Pissed I didn't see Temple of the Dog now this past year.

AudioNoir

Banned
In Detroit here. Rumor is it was an "accidental suicide." Read into it what you will. I won't divulge the rest of the rumors cuz I'm not an asshole.

I get the feeling rumours are just rumours, considering the report saying his wife called for someone to check on him.

I'll never forgive myself for never seeing Soundgarden live. And his last show was an hour away? I'm so mad at myself right now.

Cornell's on repeat all day today RIP

BFIB

I was really excited to see Soundgarden at PointFest this weekend. Damn, this hurts as much as Cobain. :(

AcridMeat

Banned
FUCKING NOO

Are you kidding me!? I started a new job with a long commute and I've probably listened to Superunknown through about 40-50 times in the last two months (Only CD of theirs I could find at home).

Like Suicide is one of my favorite songs ever.

RIP Chris, I always really respected your work. Even your Bond intro was awesome.

A lot of great artist died last and this year, but his voice and lyrics ARE practically​ one of the cornerstones of my youth.
This fucking sucks.
Fuck that.

Also: fuck your "RIP"-Shit.

So....his work was one of the cornerstones of your youth, but you don't want him to rest in peace?

OK, then...

nny

This is hitting me harder than I would expect it to.

"Nothing seems to kill me no matter how hard I try
Nothing is closing my eyes
Nothing can beat me down for your pain or delight
And nothing seems to break me
No matter how hard I fall nothing can break me at all
Not one for giving up though not invincible I know

(...)

Someone tried to tell me something
Don't let the world get you down
Nothing will do me in before I do myself
So save it for your own and the ones you can help"

*sigh*

Jarlaxle

RIP Chris.

This one is hitting me harder than I expected. I LOVED Soundgarden. I liked Audioslave. I especially loved Chris' first solo album, Euphoria Morning. There's a lot of great material there and I think it's vastly underrated.

I'll just leave one of my favorite all time Soundgarden songs right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5a8zXaKapc

_woLf

:(

I woke up to the guy on the radio station i leave in over night pretty much crying while announcing this. I couldn't believe it.

RIP Chris, thank you for all the music and helping put Seattle on the map in the genre.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Pearl Jam is still going.

Yep. More so than Alice in Chains since Layne Stayley died years ago and they have a new singer where as PJ is all original members sans having Matt Cameron (Soundgarden) on drums and he's been with them since 1998.

Grunge is definitely rough on those of us who grew up on them. It hit big time end of middle to high school for me and I really got into music with PJ, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains et al. Sucks how many of those we've lost, and how it seems to happen every generation in rock from "the day the music died," to Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison etc.

AcridMeat

Banned
Fuck man I've listened to so much Alice in Chains and Soundgarden the last 6 months. I always thought "At least Cornell is alive and well." Fuck this shit

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This really sucks :(

RIP Chris Cornell, you sang the best 007 song ever made IMO.

Listen, hear, he is inside
One who lives while others lie
I close my eyes and walk a thousand years
A thousand years that aren't mine
It seems he's near me as I walk
One who loved what love denied
He lives these years that I walk blind
All these years cannot be mine
Tomorrow begat tomorrow
Begat tomorrow
Begat tomorrow
A thousand doors a thousand lies
Rooms a thousand years wide
He walks in the cold sun and wind
All these years will not begin
Tomorrow begat tomorrow
Begat tomorrow
Begat tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg2YxCiM5fA

My favorite Soundgarden song

Those lyrics...

He better live a long fucking time.

Eddie Vedder will live to be 115. He better.

NeoRausch

Fuck man that's awful. One of my favorite rockers ever. Especially loved him on Audioslave. RIP

?

So....his work was one of the cornerstones of your youth, but you don't want him to rest in peace?

OK, then...

You don't feel like aN almost DriveBy "jeez, sad! RIP"-Post is.... Disrespectful?

Maybe I'm just angry, but those post already trigger me in threads where I didn't know/didn't like the person that died.

I can understand a lot of feelings when somebody you knew/loved/liked/had a fascination for dies, but " oh shucks...RIP" can go away and never come back.

You can express your sadness in many ways, but those kind of post always felt to me like they wanted to be part of whatever.

I shut my mouth now and listen to their "Rusty Cage"-Cover on full blast.

How fucking great are Badmotorfinger and Superunknown? Two of the best for sure.

Time to listen to 4th of July on repeat all day.

You don't feel like aN almost DriveBy "jeez, sad! RIP"-Post is.... Disrespectful?

No. I think "rest in peace" is pretty universally accepted as a proper thing to say about anyone recently deceased. You don't need to write 1,000 words to pay your respects.

Anyways- we're drifting off topic. It's a sad day, that we can all agree on.

bender

What time is it?
Hard to believe he was 52 but makes me realize I'm getting old too. Still way too young. RIP Chris.

Top Bottom