• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden) has died

CloudWolf

Damn.

I loved the album he did with Timbaland.

RIP.

I hated that, but at least it gave us one of the best music-based April Fools jokes

nin_strobe.jpg

I still want to hear that Fergie & Al Jourgensen song.

I've listened to a song here and there over the last several days but I can't jump into watching/listening to stuff when someone who had some influence on some aspect of my life unexpectedly passes and coming to terms with it, I avoided Robin Williams movies and everything for months after he died and aside from a few listens for the EP my best friend (who was responsible for getting me into Soundgarden and Chris was one of his music heroes) finished before he passed away I largely avoided listening to it or his former band for years and it still stings, it'll probably take me awhile to fully listen to anything Chris Cornell related beyond an occasional song.

Oidisco

I honestly thought Scream was a really cool album. Definitely different and weird, but once you got past Part of Me there's some great stuff there. Plus it translated really well to the live performence, they were some of my favourites when I saw him in Dublin in 2009. And at the very least, it gave us Two Drink Minimum which is fantastic!

AcridMeat

Banned
Today I fished out my Audioslave CD and had that on my commute. It's amazing how much of it I remember still, I hadn't listened to that album in probably 6-8 years, but consistently listen to Soundgarden.

not comparable at all, imo. Everything is not the terrible song people make it out to be, it's just jarringly happy sounding at times, and god forbid reznor show any minor crack in the facade like that

i love cornell, and i never saw any need to trash him for trying new stuff, but let's be honest, scream was bad.

It isn't comparable, it's worse. He put this on a nin record. Cornell didn't try to have timbaland work on a Soundgarden record.

not comparable at all, imo. Everything is not the terrible song people make it out to be, it's just jarringly happy sounding at times, and god forbid reznor show any minor crack in the facade like that

i love cornell, and i never saw any need to trash him for trying new stuff, but let's be honest, scream was bad.

but it wasn't, there are excellent songs on Scream and a lot of them translate great into his solo acoustic stuff. People shit on the album without actually giving it a chance and the "idea" of it turned them off before even listening.

There are great songs the album, Enemy, Time, Scream, Ground Zero are all great, and Two Drink Minimum is probably one of the better solo songs Chris ever recorded. Also, the songs that didn't make the cut on the album are really great too. It's fine to not be a fan of it or be turned off by Timbaland and the production, but inside that album is the same excellent song creating craft Chris has always displayed.

Does this topic really have to become about corny fucking Trent Reznor?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Been listening to SG for a bit today. Man...that voice. Christ.

Vocals on New Damage are simply insane.

but it wasn't, there are excellent songs on Scream and a lot of them translate great into his solo acoustic stuff. People shit on the album without actually giving it a chance and the "idea" of it turned them off before even listening.

There are great songs the album, Enemy, Time, Scream, Ground Zero are all great, and Two Drink Minimum is probably one of the better solo songs Chris ever recorded. Also, the songs that didn't make the cut on the album are really great too. It's fine to not be a fan of it or be turned off by Timbaland and the production, but inside that album is the same excellent song creating craft Chris has always displayed.

Yeah, I mean both artists have been releasing music since the 80s; no one, no matter how much a genius they are, doesn't make music for 30 years without some misses.

The fact that Soundgarden as a band hasn't released a statement seems to me like they agree with Vicky Cornell that his suicide was caused by misprescription or misdosage of Ativan, and they don't want to say so for legal reasons, so they're just not saying anything. I'm not saying that's the only read, but it feels like the likely one given how many days have gone by without hearing anything from them, especially Kim Thayil. (I know Matt Cameron had a brief statement that acknowledged grief and the fans, but still).

Oidisco

I'm not sure if it's a bit soon to be discussing this, but I wonder if they'l release the demos for the album Soundgarden were working on. Kim mentioned that some songs already had vocals done for them. I'd imagine they'l be released at some point, but probably not for a long while.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Jesus fucking Christ. This absolutely sucks.

Chris Cornell was my favorite vocalist. Soundgarden and Audioslave really kicked off my love of rock and grunge when I was younger. His songs with both bands and his solo works helped me a lot when I was younger get by.

Bagels and I were just talking about plans to see Soundgarden not too long ago. What a garbage fucking way to start the day. Well wishes to his family. Cannot even attempt to know the grief they're experiencing right now.

RIP.

Suicidal people often hide how they feel as not to upset loved ones.

I keep thinking about our plan to see Soundgarden and how it never came together. I'm somehow sort of relieved that we did not not make it out. The whole thing would be forever colored by what happened so soon after.

Growing up, when I really really got into Soundgarden, my older brother lived and breathed Prince's music. It's very strange to be where we are now.

I'm not sure if it's a bit soon to be discussing this, but I wonder if they'l release the demos for the album Soundgarden were working on. Kim mentioned that some songs already had vocals done for them. I'd imagine they'l be released at some point, but probably not for a long while.

Give it a few months.

Depending on the bits they have they could release a LP or maybe just do a greatest hits and include them as bonus material.

Thats how these things go unless they really dont want to.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Speaking of Trent, remember this Tweet about Chris Cornell in 2009?

42u0ORv.png

I agreed with him, but slamming other people's work on social media is pretty tacky tbh. Like, it's one thing for 15 year olds, but very artist has their missteps and taking pot shots in a public forum for a few easy RTs is a little dopey.

Like, I don't want The Coen Brothers tweeting about how shitty they think Alien Covenant is.

It isn't comparable, it's worse. He put this on a nin record. Cornell didn't try to have timbaland work on a Soundgarden record.

that's dumb. soundgarden is an actual group, even if cornell is the most notable member.

and that nin song really isn't that different from a lot of his stuff, definitely not to the level of scream

well it's good in the sense that chris cornell is good, but that particular style of music is lame, and it diminished what the songs could have otherwise been. my point is just that the nin song mentioned isn't some giant departure from your typical reznor like people make it out to be. scream definitely went in a drastically different direction.

Guys please don't make this about whether Trents worst stuff is lamer then Cornells.

Every artist has something you shake your head at.

Let's continue to celebrate what a great career Chris had.

Oidisco

It's weird going back and watching videos from the first time I saw Chris in 2009. Totally forgot he climbed up to the side balcony when he sang Scream. I took some pictures of the show, though I can only find a few that I uploaded on facebook so the quality isn't great, but figured I'd post a couple anyway.

27085_1326634047555_6758710_n.jpg

27085_1326634207559_909141_n.jpg

27085_1326634167558_863439_n.jpg

i was at rock on the range last weekend; soundgarden was supposed to headline day 1 on friday night. they had to scramble and put together a tribute, this is my video of corey taylor from stone sour and slipknot covering hunter strike (idk who the other guitarist is)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2aRkUrj33Q

sorry its kinda blurry and shitty but i was freezing from the rain storms we had all day, sound is good tho. i still think it was good. i heard a few other bands do tributes, and my ROTR shirt says soundgarden on it, was kinda surreal knowing that chris was supposed to be on stage at that point but we had this tribute instead.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
It's weird going back and watching videos from the first time I saw Chris in 2009. Totally forgot he climbed up to the side balcony when he sang Scream. I took some pictures of the show, though I can only find a few that I uploaded on facebook so the quality isn't great, but figured I'd post a couple anyway.

Great pictures! That's at the olympia in dublin isn't it? I was there that night too, first time seeing him as well. Unfortunately also the last time I saw him; was hoping to see him again solo or with soundgarden but it never happened. Was an amazing show and I remember him playing a decent amount of old stuff. The stuff he played off Scream was much better live, too.

Catdaddy

For some reason this one hit me hard, I'm in my late 40s and liked Soundgarden but not considered a huge fan, But Audioslave really got me as one of the few groups that I really liked in the 2000s. When I heard interviews with Chris, he was likable, charming and was just an all around good guy, I dont listen to much music these days, but after his death I went on youtube and watched Audioslave vids and it got me..

I'm not sure if this was posted here or who this guy is, but my wife sent me this and pretty much summed up my feelings:

https://thefirsttenwords.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/its-not-what-you-think/

PillarEN

CloudWolf

I did Wonder why he wasn't at the funeral.. I figured out he wanted to give his condolences in a more private manner to the family, since he was so close to them, but he apparently did not. That's weird..

He's in Europe for a sold out tour. He probably didn't want to disappoint thousands of fans by cancelling the shows. It's an impossible position to be in as a musician. That said, the show he gave in Amsterdam sounds beautiful.

Necro900

He's in Europe for a sold out tour. He probably didn't want to disappoint thousands of fans by cancelling the shows. It's an impossible position to be in as a musician. That said, the show he gave in Amsterdam sounds beautiful.

If I recall correctly, the tour started on the 27th and the function was the 26th. But finding the time to attend the funeral is beside the Point, maybe he really couldn't or didn't even want to be there, everyone has its way to deal with losses. No shame in that. Honestly, I too have skipped funerals too heavy for me to take.

What i find weird is that he apparently didn't even reach out to the family at all since news broke out.. It doesn't take much time to do that.

Of course, I'm not justifying what chris' Mother in law is doing, since this stuff should really stay private anyway.

EDIT: While thinking about why one wouldn't reach out to a good friend's family at a time of mourning.. I figured out there may be something wrong with the family itself, and the way the mother-in-law is behaving (why would a mother in law even bother messing with this stuff?! and on twitter?) definitely speaks volumes.

We all have that one friend with the overly protective/bitchy wife/girlfriend we swear we'll never know what he sees in her. Maybe that was the case, and maybe someone who knew Chris better than many others (Eddie) knew where the late singer's issues stemmed from.

Last bit of "gossiping" and I'm done: word's out that this post from January actually references Cornell's affairs. This pretty much confirmed my thoughts (also, read the comments), but it's just speculation.. so, take it with a giant boulder of salt.

Whatever the truth is, I hope those tweets get deleted, there's really no need for this right now. Calling out someone for "not being a man" is.. ugh.

Steeven

If I recall correctly, the tour started on the 27th and the function was the 26th. But finding the time to attend the funeral is beside the Point, maybe he really couldn't or didn't even want to be there, everyone has its way to deal with losses. No shame in that. Honestly, I too have skipped funerals too heavy for me to take.

What i find weird is that he apparently didn't even reach out to the family at all since news broke out.. It doesn't take much time to do that.

Of course, I'm not justifying what chris' Mother in law is doing, since this stuff should really stay private anyway.

EDIT: While thinking about why one wouldn't reach out to a good friend's family at a time of mourning.. I figured out there may be something wrong with the family itself, and the way the mother-in-law is behaving (why would a mother in law even bother messing with this stuff?! and on twitter?) definitely speaks volumes.

We all have that one friend with the overly protective/bitchy wife/girlfriend we swear we'll never know what he sees in her. Maybe that was the case, and maybe someone who knew Chris better than many others (Eddie) knew where the late singer's issues stemmed from.

Last bit of "gossiping" and I'm done: word's out that this post from January actually references Cornell's affairs. This pretty much confirmed my thoughts (also, read the comments), but it's just speculation.. so, take it with a giant boulder of salt.

Whatever the truth is, I hope those tweets get deleted, there's really no need for this right now. Calling out someone for "not being a man" is.. ugh.

I've seen that story before. That 'source' sounds like complete bullshit. I do wonder what Cornell and his wife actually discussed before he died though.

Oidisco

That story sounds like complete bullshit. Once I got to the part where the friend "died under mysterious circumstances" I just stopped reading. As for the lawsuit thing with Chris's ex-wife, I remember back around when Scream came out he wrote a blog about getting his guitars back from his ex-wife that involved a lawsuit, so yea I doubt it was them trying to drag her name through the mud.

I do agree that his Mother-in-law is being awful, but I can also understand that she's probably very angry and upset since she seemed to be very close with Chris.

Top Bottom