• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Dring Leaves Twitter due to harassment

yazenov

If Chris was intentionally hiding Xbox numbers to protect Microsoft, he wouldn't have spoken about Xbox flatlining in Europe.

This doesn't explain why less data such as YoY decline for Xbox and the software splits percentage between multiplatfrom games are not provided now. In the past he used to provide these data for free regularly and now it's not available.

Sure that opinion pieces on MS is negative but id rather have facts over opinion articles.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

200w.gif

Three

If Chris was intentionally hiding Xbox numbers to protect Microsoft, he wouldn't have spoken about Xbox flatlining in Europe.
Interestingly he did no tweet about that info at all on X, likely to avoid the crazy twitter fanboys. It was in his GI microcast only (with comments disabled ofcourse)

More journalists should follow his example instead of complaining about being harassed. He already has multiple outlets for his content so it’s not like he’s being silenced. Just write the story and let the weirdos fight each other about the content.

Kdad

Post it to your own website and let others post to social media. The death of personal and corporate websites is lamentable.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
These soft dudes don't even think about the options that Twitter has. They'd rather all of us get less data for some odd reason.
Chris "soft dude" Dring. Not a alpha badass like the people that obsess over console wars 24/7 on twitter . Everyone knows all real men obsess over video game sales numbers when they're not building things, repairing a car or impregnating women by just entering a public pool waist deep.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Chris "soft dude" Dring. Not a alpha badass like the people that obsess over console wars 24/7 on twitter . Everyone knows all real men obsess over video game sales numbers when they're not building things, repairing a car or impregnating women by just entering a public pool waist deep.

Bro, we just discussing games and the games industry. Why is that a crime to you? Men do the same thing with Sports, Movies, and Tech companies. Why should video games be any different?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Bro, we just discussing games and the games industry. Why is that a crime to you? Men do the same thing with Sports, Movies, and Tech companies. Why should video games be any different?
Do I have to respond to explain that I never said anything is a crime? Talk about whatever you want. I like knowing generally what sells, but people do obsess over it way too much this gen. Never really saw anything like this last gen, or any gen prior. I personally think it is like patient zero for toxic console warring, but you do whatever you want. I can just avoid threads. I was just mocking your insinuation that only soft dudes don't obsess over game sales, which was just hilarious to me. Only the softest of dudes spend time obsessing over this stuff. We're all nerds.

I'll be fine getting whatever is posted from gameindustry.biz, hopefully it's more raw data than biased analysis.

We used to get REAL npd data back in the day and it wasn't accompanied by poor analysis. Same with weekly famitsu, media create, or dengeki numbers.

Somehow with the rise of twitter we started getting people's two cents on the data while the data itself was obscured.

I don't think he'll be missed. That being said twitter trolls are pretty pathetic as well.

Last edited:

rm082e

Do I have to respond to explain that I never said anything is a crime? Talk about whatever you want. I like knowing generally what sells, but people do obsess over it way too much this gen. Never really saw anything like this last gen, or any gen prior. I personally think it is like patient zero for toxic console warring, but you do whatever you want. I can just avoid threads. I was just mocking your insinuation that only soft dudes don't obsess over game sales, which was just hilarious to me. Only the softest of dudes spend time obsessing over this stuff. We're all nerds.

Oh, this has always been an issue. Let me tell you about the nutbar SEGA fanboys back in the early days when the Dreamcast was not doing well, then got killed. Death threats on forums were a thing back then too. If you wind up in the wrong place on the internet, you can always find some crazy person yelling about console sales, attach rates, review scores, etc. I remember seeing this shit back in the early 00's on Gamespot. Twenty years later, people are still slinging the same shit at each other. They just do it on Twitter now.

Woopah

This doesn't explain why less data such as YoY decline for Xbox and the software splits percentage between multiplatfrom games are not provided now. In the past he used to provide these data for free regularly and now it's not available.

Sure that opinion pieces on MS is negative but id rather have facts over opinion articles.

He does continue to share that data in his articles though:

This is mostly due to the PS5, which saw a 177% increase in sales year-on-year. PS5 suffered severe stock issues during 2022.

PS5 was far and away the biggest console of the year. Nintendo Switch holds the No.2 spot, with sales dipping nearly 10% over the year before.

In third place is Xbox Series S and X, which saw sales drop nearly 18% over the year before.
All three main platforms posted sales drops in February. PS5 is most resilient, with sales down just 2% year-on-year, Switch – which has just turned seven years old– is down 17%, while Xbox continues to struggle with Series S and X sales down 47%.
PS5 sales are up 25% over February, but down 9% over March last year. Sony's console is comfortably No.1 for the month.

Nintendo Switch sales are up 20% month-on-month, but down 20% year-on-year. While narrowly missing out on second place is Xbox Series S and X, which is up 19% over the month before, but down 18% year-on-year.
I don't think we can say he is hiding Xbox's decline, when he is consistently reporting on it.

I would like to get the platform splits again (and we do actually get more of that detail from the UK ,thanks to Nintendo Life). However, I don't think it make sense to say Chris is perfectly happy reporting on the decline of Xbox hardware, but he refuses to report the decline of Xbox software due to some hidden agenda to protect Microsoft.

Last edited:

Woopah

Interestingly he did no tweet about that info at all on X, likely to avoid the crazy twitter fanboys. It was in his GI microcast only (with comments disabled ofcourse)

I think that's true, but a lot of the crazy twitter fanboys were those people saying he was purposely hiding the poor performance of Xbox. It wasn't just Xbox fanboys attacking him

Last edited:

Three

I think that's true, but a lot of the crazy twitter fanboys were those people saying he was purposedly hiding the poor performance of Xbox. It wasn't just Xbox fanboys attacking him
That's true. Fairly recently he even made a comment on X about sweet baby inc. That was a big mistake IMO.

Something along the lines of "After seeing all these angry 12-year-olds getting worked up about Sweet Baby, I thought I'd look them up..." he likely got a lot of shit flung his way for that too.

mckmas8808

YO! It's literally the least we've EVER talked about sales. You should have been on GAF during the Sales-Age era. There used to be 20,30, 40 pages of debate for ONE MONTH's worth of NPD data lol. This was during the PS2 and early PS3 days.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
YO! It's literally the least we've EVER talked about sales. You should have been on GAF during the Sales-Age era. There used to be 20,30, 40 pages of debate for ONE MONTH's worth of NPD data lol. This was during the PS2 and early PS3 days.
That may be true but I think it had a much more intellectual and mature tenor to the conversation. Back then there were detailed and active communities for almost any hyper niche topic. I wasn't on in the PS2 days though so no idea that far back. I know back then I read physical magazines and had no concept of sales at all.

Last edited:
I thought older people like Chris would be more ironclad, why are they so afraid of dumb trolls.

Just ignore it and keep posting, it's your job and drives traffic to your stories. Nobody follows the gamindustry.biz twitter/X channel.
Well he can always go and call Jimbo. He mentioned that Jimbo was privately talking with him so....

Personally I have always enjoyed his constant attempt to pivot any Playstation number into something positive. It was also hilarious when he was trying to turn some sales of Nintendo titles into something negative.

Last edited:

geary

A mild version of twitter is also here. You cannot start a thread without being sooner or later derailed into a console war argument. You just cannot argue in good faith on the internet.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You wouldn't like to know if your platform was dying so you could get out or stay out?

I really wanted a Saturn in 97 but I didn't know it was being discontinued. If I didn't know I would have bought a platform with very little support.

Twitter didn’t exist during the Sega Master System, Turbo CD, 3DO, Jaguar, and Saturn days, and I still knew they were selling like shit.

If you didn’t know Saturn was being discontinued then you weren’t reading the many gaming magazines of that time.

Certain people attach their entire identity to a particular console brand, and are upset anytime someone report its failing numbers across the world.

I never cared for the sales analysis of Mat or Chris but I did appreciate the fact they posted real sales data. It's too bad they are gone because a certain salty group of people don't wanna accept reality.

yazenov

He does continue to share that data in his articles though:

I don't think we can say he is hiding Xbox's decline, when he is consistently reporting on it.

I would like to get the platform splits again (and we do actually get more of that detail from the UK ,thanks to Nintendo Life). However, I don't think it make sense to say Chris is perfectly happy reporting on the decline of Xbox hardware, but he refuses to report the decline of Xbox software due to some hidden agenda to protect Microsoft.
Agreed, but he didn't share the Yoy decline for Xbox in Europe for March 2024. Maybe it's a one off, we'll see in the coming months. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/comma...arts-as-sales-improve-european-monthly-charts

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
That may be true but I think it had a much more intellectual and mature tenor to the conversation. Back then there were detailed and active communities for almost any hyper niche topic. I wasn't on in the PS2 days though so no idea that far back. I know back then I read physical magazines and had no concept of sales at all.
Now that's comedy! If you were a PlayStation fan around here (or most gaming outlets for that matter) during the 2006-2010 period (just an example), it was anything but that. The difference was people just dealt with it. They sucked it up. Today, folks seem to let things get to them far more. I've watched GAF users (again, as an example) have complete meltdowns simply for challenging their viewpoint, claiming you are "mental", have "reading comprehension issues/are slow as fuck", and reaching a point of total vessel busting.

As some already mentioned, there are tools in place to handle folks you don't engage with/see. We have them, Twitter has them, etc.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Now that's comedy! If you were a PlayStation fan around here during the 2006-2010 period (for example), it was anything but that. The difference was people just dealt with it. They sucked it up. These days, it's easier top allow yourself to be victimized.

As some already mentioned, there are tools in place to handle folks you don't engage with/see.
Personally, I still kinda doubt it. Someone can pull up an ancient NPD thread and we can look at it. I wasn't here that far back.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Personally, I still kinda doubt it. Someone can pull up an ancient NPD thread and we can look at it. I wasn't here that far back.
You can doubt, but I wasn't just talking about GAF. And one ancient NPD thread is hardly indicative of the discourse surrounding the PS3 back then, especially between 2006/7. As I said though, people moved on/got over it quicker. There also wasn't a Twitter or TikTok to lose your mind on nor a sense that "we must cancel you at all costs" for saying something someone didn't like.

As some have put it, the word "soft" is apt for modern online discourse.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

we have reached, people blaming Elon for not moderating a few Xbox gamertrolls on a sales thread he doesn't care about and some sales dude quitting Twitter because his feelings got hurt

Its alright if he wants to leave ,life continues, i wish there wasn't such hyperbolic reactions to numbers but thats how it is with these nerds, why not just drop the numbers and don't read the comments?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

It was so much more mature and intellectual back then to talk about sales data. I think it had more to do with the fact that we got so much info with no opinions added. Just straight numbers for all companies and the numbers did most of the talking.

Now we have MAUs, physical data, digital data, Gamepass subs, etc. It's just crazy.

Bkdk

There is better target to harass on social media like anita sarkeesian, go for those first lol. When these people leave social media for good perhaps western devs will now learn how to make hot sexy female characters.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It was so much more mature and intellectual back then to talk about sales data. I think it had more to do with the fact that we got so much info with no opinions added. Just straight numbers for all companies and the numbers did most of the talking.

Now we have MAUs, physical data, digital data, Gamepass subs, etc. It's just crazy.
It's a lot of things. Just a totally different culture back then. Everyone used keyboards and could write well. Now most people are on phones. Some industry people were still on here, etc. No social media yet.

Three

Just look at the bickering in here for example:

mckmas8808

Just look at the bickering in here for example:

Ah man......My guy K Kittonwy lol. I remember very well. :)

I kinda miss those days.

Top Bottom