• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so resistance has now sold 2 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Merovingian said:
You should've tried Co-op. That's what's GOW is all about. 1st time i played it, i played in Co-op. The bomb man, the bomb....

I intend to. I'm not 'done' with the game, and I'll be going back to it. Pity that one of my closest X360-owning friends (who also has Gears) doesn't have XBL Gold. :(

dfyb

Banned
Merovingian said:
You should've tried Co-op. That's what's GOW is all about. 1st time i played it, i played in Co-op. The bomb man, the bomb....
jesus christ. gears is not the end all be all game. get over it. it's got a few awesome points and a lot of okay points. this isn't a gears of war thread.

AdmiralViscen said:
He already credited the game with 350k or so in sales for the previous two months.

Do a search on GAF and find the info yourself if you don't believe him.

I'm not the one stating "facts".

*** Isn't it supposed to be that you support your own supposition with data?

Mejilan

DieH@rd said:
All hail to Insomniac... Is this means that they will make a sequel??? :lol :D :lol

Have you seen the ending? Considering that and the game's sales (2 million or not), a sequel is guaranteed.

VonGak!

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
He already credited the game with 350k or so in sales for the previous two months.

Do a search on GAF and find the info yourself if you don't believe him.

Would be nice if he had added it in his argument though, just to make it seem less silly and pointless.

Insomniac has gotten the money in and there's basis for a big budget sequel.

There's is fanboy bable and utterly pointless.

Billy Rygar said:
Sorry to jump in on this but CliffyB himself said that Gears was cribbing ideas from Kill.Switch.

As well as RE4 (EDIT: beaten!), I read the same EGM interview. But again - nobody is going to be digging through used game bins looking for Kill.Switch. You can argue the semantics all day, but when developers borrow, they're going to be doing it from Gears.

Merovingian: said:
cry cry

Have you ever even played kill switch? And then have you played Gears of War?

Or you, like the Ps3 crackie you are, just looked at some videos for some seconds, saw cover in both, kill switch came before so....hey it's kill switch with a chainsaw.

Obviously, it's not that surprising to see comments as retarded as the one you did coming from you, but it's still annoying.

You pick on people quite a bit. Gifs won't save you from the embarrassment of what you've stated above.

Before you say, "I already knew that; that's not what I meant," or whatever lame epithet you're wielding today, go read this interview:

gamespot.com said:
It wasn't long, however, before the idea of doing a cover-based horror game became the central focus of design. Cliffy B said that Resident Evil 4 and Killswitch were major inspirations for Gears of War. In fact, he referred to the project as "Resident Killswitch." RE4 had a third-person perspective, but used first-person controls. And, like Gears, you couldn't run and shoot at the same time. The similarities between Gears and Killswitch are quite obvious, with Gears taking notes from Killswitch's innovative cover system and refining them to be even better.
Whatever it sold, Reisistance is a good game.

dfyb said:
jesus christ. gears is not the end all be all game. get over it. it's got a few awesome points and a lot of okay points. this isn't a gears of war thread.

?

Wtf is wrong with you. He said he played the game in single player, and i said he should've played in Co-op, which is twice the experience. I didn't make any comparisons to Resistence because hey....i don't pretend, like many people, that i've played every game in existence. And since i'll only get a Ps3 next month, i still haven't played Resistence.

So **** off

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Son of Godzilla said:
You are joking right? Just use your head.

No joke, if you make a statement you back it up with facts. I'm not going to trust Joe Schmo over Sony, or the other way around at this point. Joe Schmo's claims, in this case, were backed up pretty badly; - last NPD (without quoted numbers or what month), no concrete numbers of either Europe or Asia other than from what he knows there's nowhere near that amount. That's pretty lacking. Hell, if I were to trust everyone that think they know what they are talking about, I would not be using my head.

So no, no joke.

Thunderbear

Merovingian said:
?

Wtf is wrong with you. He said he played the game in single player, and i said he should've played in Co-op, which is twice the experience. I didn't make any comparisons to Resistence because hey....i don't pretend, like many people, that i've played every game in existence. And since i'll only get a Ps3 next month, i still haven't played Resistence.

So **** off

Maybe the point is that Gears of War is sort of pointless to bring up in this thread. Brick the attitude, it doesn't make you come across any better.

UntoldDreams said:
I'm not the one stating "facts".

*** Isn't it supposed to be that you support your own supposition with data?

Well, he proved it for Europe and Japan, which you ignored. He gave credit to Nov/Dec sales with an estimate. Unless you think Resistance sold 600,000 more than his estimate (which would be more than PS3 sold), then there's nothing to dispute in his post.

Speevy

Banned
dfyb said:

You're right. It's about how Resistance didn't aim to disgrace a place of worship/sell 2 million copies.

Kittonwy

Banned
Merovingian said:
?

So **** off

Could you post in the thread AFTER you've actually played Resistance, since the thread is about RESISTANCE?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Can

We

Stop

The

STUPID

AS

SHIT

Gears versus Resistance comparisons already?

Please?

Anyone?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Thunderbear said:
No joke, if you make a statement you back it up with facts. I'm not going to trust Joe Schmo over Sony, or the other way around at this point. Joe Schmo's claims, in this case, were backed up pretty badly; - last NPD (without quoted numbers or what month), no concrete numbers of either Europe or Asia other than from what he knows there's nowhere near that amount. That's pretty lacking. Hell, if I were to trust everyone that think they know what they are talking about, I would not be using my head.

So no, no joke.

Let's see. We get weekly Japanese numbers, and Sony stated that they shipped 600k units last in Europe(and giving them the benefit of the doubt, as well). And then we have NPD numbers, aside from a few later months, which would seem negligeble. What's the friggin issue again?

wonderkins said:
Whatever it sold, Reisistance is a good game.

Dude so what?

Gears plays like Gears plays. And it doesn't feel like Kill Switch at All, nor Res4, even if it's where it draws inspiration from.

I love God Of War, and i won't be knocking the game around just because it borrows from other games. Hell Jaffe himself said that god Of war was basically him picking what he liked from other games and putting it all together.

That people like to trash games because developers inspire on others is retarded. And GOW is the one who launched this style of gameplay, because Kill Switch, while it had the Idea, it didn't have the execution.

And it's amusing that people like to defend Kill Switch soo much, when they probably didn't even play the game since the game was a huge bomb.

And this isn't about Gears, it's about Resistence, i edited my post, and erased it all, that you still felt the need to quote other that quoted me, well, my hatt is off to you.

you know, if i had a duck, i bet you guys would think completely the opposite.

for the record i think the single player in both gears and resistance is average but i prefer gears

Jammy

Banned
UntoldDreams said:
Those are not cumulative numbers. In fact its just for January according to the article on Software sales.

Where is the rest of the data supporting your statement? Showing a single month of data particularly when Resistance was a launch title does not automagically lead to the conclusion you are stating.

Listen Junior, those Europe and Japan sales ARE cumulative. The U.S. figures are for one month, yes, but then you have the next months where the game didn't even come close to 100,000. HOW THEN is the LTD worldwide for the game supposed to be anywhere close to two million if it could not have sold 1.2 million in the U.S.?

Like I said, use your heads.

Some of you are just so damn persistent
clueless
it's crazy.

Mejilan said:
I played through both Resistance and Gears back to back about a month ago, and Resistance provided the superior single player campaign BY FAR. I dug that Gears was trying to go for something different, but felt that it fell flat at more than a few points. Resistance, in contrast, was a more by-the-numbers experience, but an exceedingly solid one.

QFT. I did the same a few months ago.

Mejilan

I don't really get why this is still even being discussed. Hasn't it been established many times in the past that Sony typically uses shipped-to-retail when they talk about numbers?

Kittonwy said:
Could you post in the thread AFTER you've actually played Resistance, since the thread is about RESISTANCE?

The thread is about the sales of Resistence not about impressions of people who played it. So if we are to restrict ourselfs to the premise of the thread title, all we can say is "Cool, it deserved it" /thread

Jammy

Banned
Thunderbear said:

So no, no joke.

Are you ****ing blind or what?

The last NPD which I quoted was JANUARY. If you were to click on the link you'd see it had sold 144,000 just by ****ing reading. I linked to Sony's PR themselves that stated they had sold 600,000 in Europe. I specifically linked to the Japan sales thread, where ALL sales are given by Famitsu themselves.

I'm telling you to do your own God damned work and look up the November and December numbers. I'm not the one in complete denial here. You have your back up against the wall, pretty much every damn fact against you, and you STILL persist on this shit. And when I give the facts you say they aren't there. WOW.

Busty

Banned
Jammy said:
Listen Junior, those Europe and Japan sales ARE cumulative. The U.S. figures are for one month, yes, but then you have the next months where the game didn't even come close to 100,000. HOW THEN is the LTD worldwide for the game supposed to be anywhere close to two million if it could not have sold 1.2 million in the U.S.?

Like I said, use your heads.

Some of you are just so damn persistent
clueless
it's crazy.

Why do you seriously care so much?

I assume that you aren't a Sony shareholder/Insomniac employee or betting the deeds of your house on Resistance selling less than two million so why get so worked up?

I appreciate that this is a thread to discuss the sales of Resisitance, but even still you're like a man possessed.

Relax son.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
It used to be Sonic vs Mario.

now its Gears vs Resistance, Halo vs Killzone, HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray.

Console wars suck.

Steroyd

Mejilan said:
I don't really get why this is still even being discussed. Hasn't it been established many times in the past that Sony typically uses shipped-to-retail when they talk about numbers?

Sony is upfront with shipped and sold and would have said Resistance shipped 2 million.

Why is 2 million so hard to believe? Resistance just like Zelda and Gears is the current cake of their respective console. The other games are just frosting.

Xeke

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Why is 2 million so hard to believe? Resistance just like Zelda and Gears is the current cake of their respective console. The other games are just frosting.

You're forgetting Necro Nesia...

Thunderbear

Jammy said:
Are you ****ing blind or what?

The last NPD which I quoted was JANUARY. If you were to click on the link you'd see it had sold 144,000 just by ****ing reading. I linked to Sony's PR themselves that stated they had sold 600,000 in Europe. I specifically linked to the Japan sales thread, where ALL sales are given by Famitsu themselves.

I'm telling you to do your own God damned work and look up the November and December numbers. I'm not the one in complete denial here. You have your back up against the wall, pretty much every damn fact against you, and you STILL persist on this shit. And when I give the facts you say they aren't there. WOW.

This is certainly a constructive member to this forum. My reply was to the other Joe Schmo, not you. It was referring to your first emotionally charged and baseless statement. The other thing is, it's been 5 months since January, there hasn't been a lot of titles released for the PS3 so I am sure Resistance has sold a couple of copies since then. Off the top of my head I'd also like numbers for Asia (not just Japan), Australasia (Australia, New Zeeland).

It's kind of pointless to argue against someone who puts so much anger/emotion into something like this, what do you have invested that makes you name call people and act like a general ass?

Thanks for making GAF great.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Oblivion said:
Jammy didn't ruin anything. Christ, some of you are so desperate for any iota of positive news that you'll take whatever you can, regardless if it's grounded in reality or not.

It was the catalyst to this entire shit storm.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there any point in saying:

WHY DONT WE ALL STICK TO THE BLOODY SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD?!!!
if you really want to talk about Gears sale figures, make another thread about it...

Merovingian said:
The thread is about the sales of Resistence not about impressions of people who played it. So if we are to restrict ourselfs to the premise of the thread title, all we can say is "Cool, it deserved it" /thread
You lecturing anyone in this thread is like a dog licking it's anus: both disgusting and comical.

You are essentially, whether in body or spirit, the new Doom_Bringer. I hope it works out for you.

Awfully rich that you first post incredulity at the sales, then admit to never playing it, and finish with your coup de grace, let's all get back to talking about how awesome the sales are.

-------------

I'm sure Sony is thankful for Resistance as it has undoubtedly moved more than a few consoles.

Mesijs said:
Well deserved sales numbers.

Resistance is still underestimated. :( It's great, the weapons are so much fun.
One of the most sincere posts in this thread. And I completely agree, having extensively played the game.

westical

Banned
Kittonwy said:

Oh good, so you're never posting in a 360 thread ever again. Fantastic.

wonderkins said:
You lecturing anyone in this thread is like a dog licking it's anus: both disgusting and comical.

You are essentially, whether in body or spirit, the new Doom_Bringer. I hope it works out for you.

Awfully rich that you first post incredulity at the sales, then admit to never playing it, and finish with your coup de grace, let's all get back to talking about how awesome the sales are.

I question the sales, because with Sony it's allways the same story, check other posts in this thread, quite a few of them, people have doubts...

Admiting to never playing it....is that bad? I don't understand.

If the sales are indeed real, which i still have my doubts, yes, all i see is critical acclaim for the game, so just based on others impressions this game deserves to be successfull.

The new Doom _Bringer. Look mister "Serious business", just ignore me really, i erased the post you apparently had a beef with waay before you quoted it. It is you that decided to bring it up and follow up a stupid situation.

So don't act all mighty, with your "i'm holier than you" attitude....really. It's like the 2nd or 3rd time i've seen you do it, and considering you just bashed me in another post because i was doing what you do...man, you are nothing but a hypocrite.

Kittonwy

Banned
westical said:
Oh good, so you're never posting in a 360 thread ever again. Fantastic.

I don't usually even though I do have a 360, not sure what your point is really.
Indifferent2.gif

Jim

As usual, some of you guys don't read the damn article.

It wasn't a press release it was an Associated Press ARTICLE, in which they asked Sony to comment for regarding the incident.

It was mostly a throwaway quote. Its not like they crafted some official PR to announce it or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom