• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so resistance has now sold 2 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

methane47

Booyahh.jpg

NekoFever

justjohn said:
In its letter, Sony said it did not accept "that there is any connection between contemporary issues in 21st century Manchester and the work of science fiction in which a fictitious 1950s Britain is under attack by aliens."
I love how you can practically see the cynicism dripping from that statement.

Thunderbear said:
Hmm... who to trust, you, some random guy on the internets, or Sony. Sony hasn't always been honest so I guess it's a tough call.

If you want to make a solid argument, don't use comments like 'use your heads'. Quote the sales charts that you are referring to and cover the worldwide market with dates attached.

You are joking right? Just use your head.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Resistance is to Playstation 3, what Halo was to the Xbox. Good work, Insomniac. I don't own a PS3, but I played Resistance a few months back and liked what I saw.

Ceb

careksims said:
Congrats Sony and IG! Now where's my maps and patch, guys?

They discovered a bug last night that means they have to patch each of these 2M copies manually. If you don't feel like taking a chance waiting, the new version with the Manchester stage removed will come with two map packs pre-installed.

Steroyd

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

"This seems as good a place as any to mention..."

Yep with the press watching from most of the world (Japan, America and UK at least) it's perfect for PR's, least considering the game is 8 months from it's initial release.

Not bad.

Chiggs said:
Resistance is to Playstation 3, what Halo was to the Xbox. Good work, Insomniac. I don't own a PS3, but I played Resistance a few months back and liked what I saw.
What the fück.
This thread was off to a good start, but goddamn, the ridiculous statements keep rolling in at high speed.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
duketogo88 said:
Here come the junior sales analysts!

What are you whining about? This thread was made to talk about Resistence numbers, and considering you have people coming here praising its sales, I would assume one would want to make sure they're accurate. Otherwise, why bother praising at all? WOULD YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A WORLD OF LIES?!

alterno69

Banned
Souldriver said:
What the fück.
This thread was off to a good start, but goddamn, the ridiculous statements keep rolling in at high speed.

The man has a point, i'm guessing by the time Resistance 2 is revealed the fans will go crazy, and the hype will be pretty high too.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yep.

Any good Sony news = bad Sony news.

Bill O'Reilly would be proud at this spin.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Didn't luke or one of the 1up guys say this game was sent to die because of the low userbase? 2 million? thats good.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Souldriver said:
What the fück.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to what's so ridiculous about that statement? On a software-starved machine like the PS3, which coincidentally, the Xbox also happened to be, Resistance is a game that seems to be maintaining a steady rate of sales, while also maintaining player interest (like Halo). I imagine once the PS3 userbase grows, Resistance will attract newer players because of its quality, and not get lost in the 2nd generation shuffle.

Now, if I had bandied the phrase "Halo-killer" about, I could understand your adverse reaction.

vpance

bud said:
well, sure, sony also expected to sell more ps3's ww but they only managed to sell ±3.5mln.

-3.5mln would be terrible, for me, since I never got my money back..

sullyj

I thought retailers like Wal-Mart are not included in NPD numbers? So I am wondering how anyone can claim these numbers are low when no one actually knows the total number sold? I personally hate shopping at the Walmart but if you live were I live you have no choice. I could buy through the mail but I think my UPS Driver is a heroin addict and he always drops packages at the wrong door.

Oblivion

reilo said:
Yep.

Any good Sony news = bad Sony news.

Bill O'Reilly would be proud at this spin.

What spin? People are just questioning the veracity of that statement. It's made all the more irregular considering Sony actually used the word 'sold' this time.

Edit: By the way, when did Sony fans care about sales again? I thought it was all about 'playing' games?

Mmmkay

Roders5 said:
I'd say it was at half a mil after feb NPD
Yep, that was the last we saw solid numbers for Resistance on GAF, and that gave it a tie ratio of roughly 50%.

I certainly don't believe it has sold 2 million to consumers WW (it's likely to retailers), I'm just curious why js edited. It's also odd that neither BBC nor the Times reported the alleged 2 million units comment in their articles on the apology.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This game deserves it. Online and offline this game is just fun all around. Go Insomniac!

reilo

Oblivion said:
What spin? People are just questioning the veracity of that statement. It's made all the more irregular considering Sony actually used the word 'sold' this time.

That is spinning...

Company announces 'x' amount of 'y' sold.

Fanboys say 'but we cannot trust those numbers... it cannot be THAT good...'

Basically, it's trying to discredit the source of the statement rather than try to judge the statement at face value.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
It's definitely shipped numbers and rounded to the nearest mil...

It's a good game though, deserves strong sales.

Oblivion

reilo said:
That is spinning...

Basically, it's trying to discredit the source of the statement rather than try to judge the statement at face value.

Did you ever wonder WHY people were bothering to question in the first place? It's not always always out of animosity like so many of you seem to think. Sony has a history of inflating their numbers. Christ.

Jammy

Banned
Thunderbear said:
Hmm... who to trust, you, some random guy on the internets, or Sony. Sony hasn't always been honest so I guess it's a tough call.

If you want to make a solid argument, don't use comments like 'use your heads'. Quote the sales charts that you are referring to and cover the worldwide market with dates attached.

Japan (~120,000)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128989&highlight=Japan

Europe (~600,000)
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6172233

Now add those up. You're telling me Resistance: FoM has ~1.2 million in a region where the PS3 has only sold 1.4 million total? Like I said, use your heads.

U.S. (144,000 in January, the last time it showed up in the top ten for NPD)
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6166199

If somebody cares to add more U.S. figures to Resistance, be my guest, but I'm fairly sure the last we saw of the game, it had barely crossed 500,000.

There's a long history of Sony giving BS in PRs and especially when it comes to sales. Their benchmarks are nowhere near the tallied results we get from official trackers. There's a reason we're so goddamn hesitant to give any props to them at all.

VonGak!

Banned
reilo said:
That is spinning...

And it's not like they want to find the truth or that the truth is of importance to them (ex. Resistance's sales won't change any Gaffer's life, it might make some cry them self in sleep but that's it).

It's all about hoping for a doom and gloom worst case scenario.

Would be nice if people could be happy if games did well and we got rid of those who want game to performe worse in sales than they should.

Kittonwy

Banned
careksims said:
Congrats Sony and IG! Now where's my maps and patch, guys?

I WUV RESISTANCE!!! GO GAF WEDGE GO GO GO!!!111!!!
gladtomeetya.gif

Resistance:
You know our love was meant to bee
Teh kind of love that last forever
And I want chu to be wit me
From tonight until teh end of time

You should know
Everywhere I go
You're always on mah mind
In my heart
In my soulololol baby

You're teh meaning in mah life
You're teh inspiration
You bring feelingz to mah life
You're teh inspiration

Wanna have u near me
I wanna have you hear me say yeah
No one needs u more than I
Need u

When u wuv gamebattle
till teh end of time
when u wuv gamebattle
always on mah mind

Indifferent2.gif

Busty

Banned
number1jagsfan said:
Deserves all the sales it gets i my opinion. ****ing brilliant game.

Havne't had much face time with the game as I'm not a PS3 owner but I'm impressed by what little I've played.

This is really a boost of confidence for Insomniac on many levels IMO. I feel they got unfairly dragged into a brawl with Gears Of War seeing as they were released at more or less the same time.

I've always said that history would look more favourably on Resistance than Gears Of War. Likely due to the online multi player, but it's one franchise I'd really like to see grow.

I think with the first game under their belt, the sequel next Xmas will be a monster for Insomniac.

sullyj said:
I thought retailers like Wal-Mart are not included in NPD numbers? So I am wondering how anyone can claim these numbers are low when no one actually knows the total number sold? I personally hate shopping at the Walmart but if you live were I live you have no choice. I could buy through the mail but I think my UPS Driver is a heroin addict and he always drops packages at the wrong door.

:lol I love the windows that fellow GAFFERS give us into their lives.

no sarcasm

reilo

Merovingian said:
cry cry

Have you ever even played kill switch? And then have you played Gears of War?

Or you, like the Ps3 crackie you are, just looked at some videos for some seconds, saw cover in both, kill switch came before so....hey it's kill switch with a chainsaw.

Obviously, it's not that surprising to see comments as retarded as the one you did coming from you, but it's still annoying.

Be the better man and stop the ridiculous argument before it gets out of hand... that kid just don't get it...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I played through both Resistance and Gears back to back about a month ago, and Resistance provided the superior single player campaign BY FAR. I dug that Gears was trying to go for something different, but felt that it fell flat at more than a few points. Resistance, in contrast, was a more by-the-numbers experience, but an exceedingly solid one.

Jammy said:
Japan (~120,000)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128989&highlight=Japan

Europe (~600,000)
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6172233

Now add those up. You're telling me Resistance: FoM has ~1.2 million in a region where the PS3 has only sold 1.4 million total? Like I said, use your heads.

U.S. (144,000 in January, the last time it showed up in the top ten for NPD)
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6166199

If somebody cares to add more U.S. figures to Resistance, be my guest, but I'm fairly sure the last we saw of the game, it had barely crossed 500,000.

There's a long history of Sony giving BS in PRs and especially when it comes to sales. Their benchmarks are nowhere near the tallied results we get from official trackers. There's a reason we're so goddamn hesitant to give any props to them at all.

Those are not cumulative numbers. In fact its just for January according to the article on Software sales.

Where is the rest of the data supporting your statement? Showing a single month of data particularly when Resistance was a launch title does not automagically lead to the conclusion you are stating.

Raistlin

LiveFromKyoto said:
Fantastic game, it deserves it. It suffers by comparison from having been released alongside Gears of War, which was revolutionary. But I think once Halo 3 comes out, people will look at Resistance and appreciate the visuals, creativity of the weapons and large number of players supported.

what?

Mejilan said:
I played through both Resistance and Gears back to back about a month ago, and Resistance provided the superior single player campaign BY FAR. I dug that Gears was trying to go for something different, but felt that it fell flat at more than a few points. Resistance, in contrast, was a more by-the-numbers experience, but an exceedingly solid one.

You should've tried Co-op. That's what's GOW is all about. 1st time i played it, i played in Co-op. The bomb man, the bomb....

Awntawn

chriskzoo said:
Did you even play the game? Let me refresh your memory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqUknTO8VCM

It's Killswitch with a chainsaw.

while that definately is eye-opening, the thing that set gears apart wasn't so much the cover system or any other in-game engine mechanic. admittedly, none of that was truly groundbreaking, but what makes it "revolutionary" in my eyes is the seamless online co-op features. it may seem trivial, but it is definately something we all would like to see more of, devs have seen this and it looks like more are making plans for it i.e. halo 3, haze, who knows what else. all in all, while it may be minor from a technical standpoint, it's a significant gesture in terms of the overall gaming experience.

edit: beaten by a minute 3;

UntoldDreams said:
Those are not cumulative numbers. In fact its just for January according to the article on Software sales.

Where is the rest of the data supporting your statement? Showing a single month of data particularly when Resistance was a launch title does not automagically lead to the conclusion you are stating.

He already credited the game with 350k or so in sales for the previous two months.

Do a search on GAF and find the info yourself if you don't believe him.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Sure, but nobody's going to be cribbing gameplay elements from Killswitch. Gears implemented the ideas much better anyway.
Sorry to jump in on this but CliffyB himself said that Gears was cribbing ideas from Kill.Switch.

Awntawn

Billy Rygar said:
Sorry to jump in on this but CliffyB himself said that Gears was cribbing ideas from Kill.Switch.

didn't someone say he got the idea from playing paintball or something? ;o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom