• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Dring Leaves Twitter due to harassment

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just look at the bickering in here for example:

I know it's still games and people have always shit posted. But I just randomly was browsing one from 2016 and it was a lot more civil and detailed. And then noticed M MatPiscatella posting in there and everyone was just chill and nice to him.

Anyway, whatever.

Last edited:

Woopah

YO! It's literally the least we've EVER talked about sales. You should have been on GAF during the Sales-Age era. There used to be 20,30, 40 pages of debate for ONE MONTH's worth of NPD data lol. This was during the PS2 and early PS3 days.
And threads would get into the double digits just for one week of Japan sales. Would be great to get back to that again!

Well he can always go and call Jimbo. He mentioned that Jimbo was privately talking with him so....

Personally I have always enjoyed his constant attempt to pivot any Playstation number into something positive. It was also hilarious when he was trying to turn some sales of Nintendo titles into something negative.
This why I find it weird that people keep saying he has some kind of agenda. Some people think he spins PlayStation numbers to make them positive, others think he hides any numbers that make Xbox looks negative, and others think he has something against Nintendo, even thought he's a pretty big Nintendo fan. If you listen to people on Twitter you'd think Chris has a hidden agenda against all three console manufacturers.
Agreed, but he didn't share the Yoy decline for Xbox in Europe for March 2024. Maybe it's a one off, we'll see in the coming months. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/comma...arts-as-sales-improve-european-monthly-charts
Hopefully just a one-off, since he included all three in the UK chart for March. Either way, I don't think he intentionally hid the exact YoY declines for Switch and Xbox, especially since they were better than the the decline for PS5.

@Ass of Can Whooping strikes from beyond the grave.

It wasn't him; I know who it was and where it's from but I'm not gonna say anything.

Folks can just get a bit too wild sometimes, I'll say 😂

Anyway, unfortunate Dring was harassed to this point. Disagreements shouldn't lead to personal attacks and hate. Hopefully he comes back sometime in the near future; maybe locking his tweets to only let certain people reply would be a good way of getting rid of the toxic folks.

Here's the context if anyone cares or is looking for it btw:

I'm curious what Nintendo fans would be attacking Dring for on Twitter. Actually, I'm surprised there are even that many Nintendo fanatics on Twitter. Seems like they'd still be a few gens behind on Tumblr or MySpace.

I'm just joking, Nintendo fanatics. Don't harass me too 😂

Sony shill in his quoted screenshot. That's how they behave.

That comment wasn't in Dring's Twitter replies and came after he vacated his Twitter account.

It is definitely some kind of comment, tho.

That may be true but I think it had a much more intellectual and mature tenor to the conversation. Back then there were detailed and active communities for almost any hyper niche topic. I wasn't on in the PS2 days though so no idea that far back. I know back then I read physical magazines and had no concept of sales at all.

Next Generation regularly mentioned sales; they were kind of like a GI.biz/Digital Foundry/insert-other-professional-gaming-website-here before those things existed.

I think they were the only magazine back in the day with that type of focus regularly, though. And I don't know if they published outside of the United States. Well, Famitsu also would report sales, but just for the Japanese market.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
just don't read replies 🥴
What’s the point of posting in a social media platform if you are not going to be social. The whole point of Twitter if you are not a news organization is to engage with your followers. Else it’s just another spot for links.

That’s kind of a flippant response to be fair.

That level of vitriol and salt because he posted sales stats?

105823f7-2d03-4ee7-b75e-a5dd84023eab_text.gif

That same vitriol over sales is found here, daily.

Less data is bad for everyone, this is not a good thing.

cormack12

Gold Member
If you're on twitter to share data then just share it. What type of conversation is there to be had? Post and lock it down. Its always been a one to many publishing platform. You are publishing information centrally to lots of random interested parties. It was never meant to be a platform to start discussing with your followers, some people have millions of them. It's also only ever used as console war bait. Plus Dring is just as guilty as stoking fires with inflammatory comments dressed up as benign observations.

People are addicted to the replies, pats on the backs and sycophantic praise. There's an easy way to manage it if you're the publisher but it comes at the cost of removing all the fake adulation.

Woopah

If you're on twitter to share data then just share it. What type of conversation is there to be had? Post and lock it down. Its always been a one to many publishing platform. You are publishing information centrally to lots of random interested parties. It was never meant to be a platform to start discussing with your followers, some people have millions of them. It's also only ever used as console war bait. Plus Dring is just as guilty as stoking fires with inflammatory comments dressed up as benign observations.

People are addicted to the replies, pats on the backs and sycophantic praise. There's an easy way to manage it if you're the publisher but it comes at the cost of removing all the fake adulation.
He was on Twitter to interact with people. For "a one to many publishing platform", he can just use Gamesindustry.biz.
Xbox fanboys can’t handle the truth; that’s why they are the absolute worst.
He gets harassed by fanboys of all three platforms.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Grown men are allowing an army of 11 year olds to drive them off a platform. They can do whatever they want, but they gotta realize most of these people are kids. Don't read the comments. When it comes to social media, ignorance is bliss. If you don't see the criticism, it can't affect you.

Barakov

Honestly, he should just keep posting the numbers just to spite these people. When dealing with the terminally online the best course of action is to make them even more angry than they already are.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What’s the point of posting in a social media platform if you are not going to be social. The whole point of Twitter if you are not a news organization is to engage with your followers. Else it’s just another spot for links.

That’s kind of a flippant response to be fair.

But he was a news organization..........

cormack12

Gold Member
He was on Twitter to interact with people. For "a one to many publishing platform", he can just use Gamesindustry.biz.

He gets harassed by fanboys of all three platforms.
Twitter was meant to bypass the formality of content management systems or the lead times on editor sign off for breaking or first of type news. Or to give a personal insight into what celebrities were up to in their spare time. It was never meant to be a fireside chat platform for anyone of note. The lines are blurred because of influencers needing to do this when starting out or those trying to build offshoot communities.

How does someone like Taylor Swift interacts with 95m followers? Or anyone with even more than 1200 daily active followers? He was there to get direct pats on the back, and see the likes shoot up from having access to privileged data (e.g. optaJOE). Like most of twitter.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real

Twitter posts get traction if people engage with it. Engaging with tweets include likes, sharing, and replying. Limiting or turning that off is akin to screaming the numbers to himself in his room. I'm sure he'll keep publishing the information on Gameindustry.biz. Hopefully they at least link to those on their twitter account.

As for what the platform was meant to be, the "Replies" feature has been a part of Twitter for almost 20 years now. Was added shortly after it launched. Before celebrities & influencers were even on the platform.

Also, In 2007/2008 most "influencers' were still operating on their own personal blogs. Instagram is what propelled them to where they are today and started the "social media influencer" thing.

StereoVsn

Twitter/X morons and trolls strike again.

Personally I like seeing sales data as it helps to get an understanding of the gaming market. It’s too bad that folks that give out this info for free have to deal with this shit.

And yeah, Social Media is a fucking curse to society at large.

It was a mixture between the Xbox tax people and his comments on Mario wonder and princess peach that dragged a lot of Xbox and Nintendo fans after him .

Too bad because he gave a lot of insight about UK

cormack12

Gold Member
Twitter posts get traction if people engage with it. Engaging with tweets include likes, sharing, and replying. Limiting or turning that off is akin to screaming the numbers to himself in his room. I'm sure he'll keep publishing the information on Gameindustry.biz. Hopefully they at least link to those on their twitter account.

As for what the platform was meant to be, the "Replies" feature has been a part of Twitter for almost 20 years now. Was added shortly after it launched. Before celebrities & influencers were even on the platform.

Also, In 2007/2008 most "influencers' were still operating on their own personal blogs. Instagram is what propelled them to where they are today and started the "social media influencer" thing.
Engagement = likes. Yes, that's my point. If people are interested in the data, post it and people will still follow you. There are view metrics now. You either care about posting the data Iike the snippets/comparisons he did, or you care more about the 'engagement'. This also doesn't really cover the video interviews he did as well where he was throwing round comments crafted to antagonise one fanbase or another.

Replies were a novelty in the hope that your favourite celeb or someone may notice you in a crowd. Over time replies were meant to provide access and responses from brands and customer support. You might as well say they created DMs so we could all privately converse with Lady Gaga.

I'm mainly talking about how Twitter developed, ever since Stephen Fry tweeted from the airport was it? It developed into a celeb/sports personality/artist access platform. No one really cares about following John who goes the match every week, except his mates. Sometimes you get a few odd personalities that hit it big for a couple of years or parody accounts or you come across sub communities built on follow for follow. There are very few, and I mean very few actual branching conversations that happen from any big push accounts.

I don't know what the last point is or what it's relevance is tbh. I'm not saying influencers were a thing back in 2008.

Either way, it doesn't really matter much. Guy has closed his account. I'm sure he will be back, they all return in the end. I'm tired and it's almost midnight so

You Got This Hat GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Last edited:
Twatter is trash and I wish it would die already because Elon Musk has like 5 other companies which are actually important and he spends all his time fucking around on Twatter

Fuck Twatter

Solarstrike

Gold Member
ISP's are soon going to be given the right by governments to fine people who harass, stalk, or otherwise name-call, hack, cheat, steal, imposter others on the internet. It's all on the way because some idiots get away with shit.

Note: I only use Twitter when i'm on the shitter

Last edited:

Loomy

Engagement = likes. Yes, that's my point. If people are interested in the data, post it and people will still follow you. There are view metrics now. You either care about posting the data Iike the snippets/comparisons he did, or you care more about the 'engagement'. This also doesn't really cover the video interviews he did as well where he was throwing round comments crafted to antagonise one fanbase or another.

Replies were a novelty in the hope that your favourite celeb or someone may notice you in a crowd. Over time replies were meant to provide access and responses from brands and customer support. You might as well say they created DMs so we could all privately converse with Lady Gaga.

I'm mainly talking about how Twitter developed, ever since Stephen Fry tweeted from the airport was it? It developed into a celeb/sports personality/artist access platform. No one really cares about following John who goes the match every week, except his mates. Sometimes you get a few odd personalities that hit it big for a couple of years or parody accounts or you come across sub communities built on follow for follow. There are very few, and I mean very few actual branching conversations that happen from any big push accounts.

I don't know what the last point is or what it's relevance is tbh. I'm not saying influencers were a thing back in 2008.

Either way, it doesn't really matter much. Guy has closed his account. I'm sure he will be back, they all return in the end. I'm tired and it's almost midnight so

You Got This Hat GIF by Pudgy Penguins
I think we're agreeing on this. The issue is that as long as he's sharing these from his personal account on Twitter, he's open himself up to the type assholes who get upset and make death threats when CoD nerfs guns.

It's why I hope Gi.Biz starts sharing links to those articles.

Loomy

Twatter is trash and I wish it would die already because Elon Musk has like 5 other companies which are actually important and he spends all his time fucking around on Twatter

Fuck Twatter
It's fucking frustrating. I'm glad SpaceX is managing with however little attention he's giving it.

Where I struggle with Twitter is that, in spite of all the crap on it, it is the closest to a global communications platform we've ever had. People could get their message out to everyone from anywhere.

Downside is that we got a bunch of useless crap, but the upside is that we got people making sure the world knew what was happening on the ground during conflicts before journalists could get there. Or whistleblowers who could share important information they'd otherwise have no avenue to share.

Twitter could be so much more, and I think it still can - or something like it can be - just not with Musk at the helm.

Unknown?

Twitter didn’t exist during the Sega Master System, Turbo CD, 3DO, Jaguar, and Saturn days, and I still knew they were selling like shit.

If you didn’t know Saturn was being discontinued then you weren’t reading the many gaming magazines of that time.
No, I wasn't. Most people didn't know unless it was reported in mainstream news or hardcore enough to read stuff like that.

That's the point, it gets around better now with Twitter/X, so you can put feelers out for how something is doing and by hiding the numbers you don't really know and reality gets drowned out by fanboy fodder.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is not shocking that there’s some sort of harassment hit list here from certain fanboys. I have seen people here trying to discredit them.

Mochizuki for his Sony temporary halting PSVR2 manufacturing news. Mat for his tweets over console hardware spending. zhuge for claiming FF7 Rebirth selling less than FF7 Remake.

yazenov

Fuck Twatter
This is somewhat off topic, but I disagree. Twitter was horrible before Elon took over Twitter. At least now both the good and bad opinions can be heard from either sides.

Twitter 1.0 was like an echo chamber (kind of like Reeeeee) where only 1 side of the argument is visible, and if you disagree with the narrative, your opinion can't be seen because you'd be banned or shadow banned without even knowing.

I know that Twitter is trash regardless, but at least it's better post Elon acquisition.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I never understood how people allow randoms on the internet get them in their feelings. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but I just can't wrap my head around it. Getting worked up about some clown posting shit they wouldn't say in real life because they'll get their block knocked the fuck off.

Twitter is a shit hole. Mets fans were sending death threats to their $330 million shortstop and his wife after he got off to a slow start. I dont know wtf elon is doing but this is something twitter has always had a problem with and its only gotten worse since he took over.

this is what happens when you stop moderating online discourse.
Moderation is censorhip... There is a site that is for that it's called Reeee. The same picks who want to CE sort valve for a curator and having user reviews. Free speech for all unless it promotes violence , starts a riot or is targeted towards kids. Elon is doing everything right. It was a shit hole and everyone was censored before he took over.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Moderation is censorhip... There is a site that is for that it's called Reeee. The same picks who want to CE sort valve for a curator and having user reviews. Free speech for all unless it promotes violence , starts a riot or is targeted towards kids. Elon is doing everything right. It was a shit hole and everyone was censored before he took over.
Moderation request here please.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Bitch. Anyone who claims they are getting bullied online is a bitch. Back in my day(lol) We were bullied to our faces for whatever reason. We just took to drinking like real men to deal with it.

Top Bottom