• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan criticizes Netflix's digital distribution model for movies

Entitled? You can't be serious. We're paying for Netflix. It's a Netflix funded movie. How are paying customers expecting to get exclusive content first being entitled?!
I pay for Amazon Prime. I don't expect every Amazon Studios release to be made free for me on day one. I pay for HBO - they fund plenty of documentaries that get theatrical runs before showing up on HBO GO.

I pay enough for Netflix. I'd pay more to see their movies in theaters - especially if it meant having them funding bigger & better films.

Ploid 3.0

Don't agree with this. Plenty of people still enjoy cinemas.

Hell, I have a big OLED TV and sound system at home and I still want to go to the cinema to see new releases. You can't possibly compare an IMAX screen to a Netflix stream, no matter how good your TV is.

Some people don't like cinemas and that's fine. They're not going anywhere, though.

The problem is that Netflix doesn't seem to be against things showing up in theaters, but movies being in theaters and streaming at the same time. Why should theaters have that exclusive window, especially for Netflix shows or whatever the subject is that require Netflix's input? It won't make theaters inaccessible for people that enjoy them.

Sure, people saying theaters should die are in the wrong. Though if they die out because movies launch simultaneously with streaming services then that's on them, they failed to capture an audience. People in this thread mentioned the big projectors, 3D, and other expensive technologies that theaters have, and that could be their selling point. The exclusivity is not needed, though it does help them stay as relevant without working harder I suppose. They won't die out though. If they need more money for the tech they use, they could get sponsors, and sell the social aspect like after the movie parties?

Theaters will still have their big money blockbuster exclusives anyway, so let Netflix do it's thing. It's surviving pretty well so they are doing something right.

Doikor

The problem is that Netflix doesn't seem to be against things showing up in theaters, but movies being in theaters and streaming at the same time. Why should theaters have that exclusive window, especially for Netflix shows or whatever the subject is that require Netflix's input? It won't make theaters inaccessible for people that enjoy them.

Sure, people saying theaters should die are in the wrong. Though if they die out because movies launch simultaneously with streaming services then that's on them, they failed to capture an audience. People in this thread mentioned the big projectors, 3D, and other expensive technologies that theaters have, and that could be their selling point. The exclusivity is not needed, though it does help them stay as relevant without working harder I suppose. They won't die out though. If they need more money for the tech they use, they could get sponsors, and sell the social aspect like after the movie parties?

Netflix also want simultaneous international releases for all of their original content. Doing that with theater chains involved would be a pain in the ass. A lot of big blockbusters still fail at that too.

JABEE

Honestly, yes. Silicon Valley culture often puts ideals above profits. It wouldn't surprise me if the driving force behind Netflix's resistance to cinemas isn't about profit, but spite.

Nah. The driving force behind this is increasing the value of their company. Silicon Valley's culture is telling you about their ideals while you fork over cash and provide them with foreign slaves to build their camera phones.

You need a big budget to look even comparable to blockbuster and with netflix Budget its going to be hard especially since a lot of their big budget stuff end up flopping like Marco Polo, Sense8, Get Down etc. I see Netflix investing more in low/medium budget titles.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I had to look up Amazon produced movies and I haven't really heard of most of them. I feel like even without the wide releases Netflix still does better marketing for their movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Studios

Of the list, I've only heard of Neon Demon due to neogaf, Manchester by the Sea, and I am not your negro due to neogaf again.

I am not sure how Amazon's way is better.

Skii

So lets say you put a new movie in the cinema and on netflix on the very same day. Would there even be an audience at the theatre? I highly doubt it. If you give people the option, the vast majority would rather watch something at home on the cheap.

I had to look up Amazon produced movies and I haven't really heard of most of them. I feel like even without the wide releases Netflix still does better marketing for their movies.

Of the list, I've only heard of Neon Demon due to neogaf, Manchester by the Sea, and I am not your negro due to neogaf again.

amazon releases them in theaters before you can stream them.. thats the point

Manchester by the sea was a best picture nominee.. not some obscure piece you can only hear about on a gaming forum

I dont mind this. Only blockbusters would be affected, and I barely ever see them in the Cinema.

Real cinematic art would end up untouched by this change, imo.

They've collected multiple Oscar nominations, and are quickly becoming known as a distributor for great indie flicks. They're building a brand.

overcast

So lets say you put a new movie in the cinema and on netflix on the very same day. Would there even be an audience at the theatre? I highly doubt it. If you give people the option, the vast majority would rather watch something at home on the cheap.
Depends on the flick. I think Netflix entertainment comes and goes for many and that's fine. But they don't resonate in word of mouth for long.

Something like The Big Sick (produced by Amazon) has had great legs at the cinema. Racking up more money as it went along. Feel like it wouldn't have even left a blip on Netflix given it's so reliant on a growing release.

He's right. The cinema is a different experience to watching films at home and I'd hate to see it go away. Okja was definitely a film that would have worked in the cinema. It would have made a fair bit of money.

No it wouldn't. It's the kind of movie that, at best, would only work out on limited release in major cities. Netflix is the kind of place that movie can do well because of the boosted visibility.

That's what makes Amazon "different" from Netflix, but he was asking what makes Amazon's method "better". I'm sure it's better for a lot of people for a variety of different reasons. Unfortunately I don't think it will be enough people to save cinemas.

You haven't heard of The Handmaiden, Chi-Raq, Wiener-Dog, or Lost City of Z? These are not obscure releases, if you follow non-blockbusters with any consistency. Cafe Society is a Woody Allen flick, ffs.

riotous

Banned
Well for one at least here they haven't put any money in upgrading anything. The shitty digital projectors they got have worse picture quality then the film ones before them. Tickets are 12 to 20 euros depending on the time of day + 3D.

So spend more money on equipment while lowering prices... that's the plan to fend off competition that didn't exist if timed exclusivity goes away?

The medium likely isn't tenable without timed exclusivity; and if the medium doesn't exist, then films make less money.. less money spent on films, lower quality special effects, etc.

This "well things have changed so therefor companies need to adjust" doesn't always work out in the consumers favor.

In this case, what do consumers even gain if timed exclusivity goes away? Being able to watch things earlier for cheaper? Is that advantage worth putting loads of theaters out of business and thus decreasing options for consumers?

If most we'd end up with less theaters and even higher ticket prices. This whole "fix everything by spending money while lowering revenue" is sort of ludicrous.

D6AMIA6N

The problem with the "theater experience" is that I have to share that experience with a bunch of strangers who may not share the same respect for that experience.

If I could pay a premium for a ticket where there were only adults, who don't use their cell phones, who don't hack and cough, leave their seats and come back 45 times during the movie, etc. I would do it.

Since that isn't an available option, I'd rather just watch at home, despite not having a projector and sound that make the "theater experience" so grand.

Netflix wins this round to me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Is that the point though? Netflix is buying stuff of comparable scope as Manchester by the Sea without having to give them theatre streaming. Obviously I would say MbtS is a better film than any of the Netflix originals so far, having not seen Okja yet, but it's definitely not a different film in terms of its economics than the Netflix originals. Nolan correctly suggests that not having first-run revenue potential is hurting Netflix's ability to get bigger films, but Amazon also hasn't managed to get any bigger films despite negotiating a theatrical window. What really is the difference here?

number11

Can someone explain what advantage Netflix has over streaming Okja straight away? I doubt many people are creating subscriptions just for one film.

Shredderi

I love going to the movies. The whole experience. Problem is that here in Finland it costs about 15e. Sometimes 13e. I mean, I'm pretty sure it used to be a lot less at one point when I was alive. They also pad the prices with shitty forced 3D showings. I hate 3D because it's super uncomfortable with me since I already have glasses and it dims everything, but the theaters here prioritize 3D over 2D so there are less 2D showings to choose from in the schedule. When I was reserving ticket to a 2D showing of Spider-man:homecoming the "normal 2D version" link kept redirecting to the 3D one. It's not even the first time. They really want people to buy the more expensive 3D tickets.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can someone explain what advantage Netflix has over streaming Okja straight away? I doubt many people are creating subscriptions just for one film.

People subscribe to Netflix for everything they offer, not a single film. Their breadth of content attracts people.

He's right. The fact that Netflix barely released Okja and Beasts of No Nation in theaters is an insult to the very films they finance. They should do what Amazon does with a limited arthouse run with possibility of a wide-expansion, but then right on Netflix within a month of leaving theaters.

Or, they should do what they want.

Signed, opinion.

People want to watch movies at home. Point blank. If I could just order a new movie for 20$ on my cable box or through an internet site and skip the theatre then so be it. Not having to share a theatre with loud ass teenage kids will be a god send. Sorry Mr. Nolan but theatres are kind of a novelty this day and age.
This is out of touch AF.

You seen the numbers Wonder Woman just did?

number11

People subscribe to Netflix for everything they offer, not a single film. Their breadth of content attracts people.

That's my point. Let's say the theatrical window is 6 months. Okja is still gonna end up on Netflix forever. It's still gonna be a film to add to their catalogue. Releasing it straight to streaming makes no difference.

I go to the theater a lot. Several times a month and sometimes a few times a week.

If I could pay the same price and watch at home on my 4K TV, I would always choose the home option every time.

This is out of touch AF.

You seen the numbers Wonder Woman just did?

Did these people (myself included) want to watch Wonder Woman now or want to watch Wonder Woman in a theater. There is a difference.

Is that the point though? Netflix is buying stuff of comparable scope as Manchester by the Sea without having to give them theatre streaming. Obviously I would say MbtS is a better film than any of the Netflix originals so far, having not seen Okja yet, but it's definitely not a different film in terms of its economics than the Netflix originals. Nolan correctly suggests that not having first-run revenue potential is hurting Netflix's ability to get bigger films, but Amazon also hasn't managed to get any bigger films despite negotiating a theatrical window. What really is the difference here?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Amazon even chasing higher budget projects? It seems like they're satisfied with arthouse & independent fare. I can't see Amazon bankrolling movies like Spectral, Bright, or Death Note.

I went to see Spiderman Homecoming because I was really looking forward to it and because the movie was receiving very good reviews. This past weekend I get to the theater with my girlfriend, find us a spot, and then proceed to put up with some kids behind us kicking our seats, with the mother right next to them. It got so annoying I finally turned back and told them both to stop doing that, while getting glares from the inept mother.

I enjoy the cinema experience. I have fond memories of enjoying movies that were historic in the medium with a packed audience. Those are memories I will cherish for the rest of my life. But every time I have to put up with stupidity at the theater it pushes me more to just watching stuff at home. If I'm paying $10-$15 bucks for my ticket I want as close to a perfect experience as I can get, if nothing else, then at least comparable to what I get at home.

Ridley327

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Amazon even chasing higher budget projects? It seems like they're satisfied with arthouse & independent fare. I can't see Amazon bankrolling movies like Spectral, Bright, or Death Note.

At present, no, but even Netflix didn't start out with big budget stuff right away. It's a natural progression for a streaming service to take that wants to draw in all kinds of crowds to subscribe.

I am a healthy advocate for streaming services and I think it's done some rather wonderful things for genre films in particular, but I am 100% with Nolan on it not coming close to the theater experience. I wound up knocking down my estimation of The Neon Demon a little bit from where I rated it originally simply because a home viewing experience doesn't begin to wash over you nearly as completely as it did for me in a theater.

Did these people (myself included) want to watch Wonder Woman now or want to watch Wonder Woman in a theater. There is a difference.

Two things. How is the movie as much of a spectacle just watching at home ? Which takes the experience out of it to an extent. .

Second... you wouldn't even get the same production budget if you could watch it at home first regardless. So it basically wouldn't even be the same movie anyways

At present, no, but even Netflix didn't start out with big budget stuff right away. It's a natural progression for a streaming service to take that wants to draw in all kinds of crowds to subscribe.
I don't think Amazon sees Amazon Studios as a value add for Prime, though. It's a separate wing of their business, one that could survive with or without those movies going to Prime.

Part of Netflix's issue is that they fund such a wide array of projects, the Netflix 'brand' is meaningless. It feels like they're picking up projects to ensure their library meets a certain quota, rather than chasing high quality content.

fade_

Why can't there be room for both? Hasn't HBO and Showtime been making movies for years? Is the only difference that Netflix a more viable threat competitively? There will always be movie theaters, nothing is going to kill it. People are always making thing so black and white.

Syriel

People are out of their mind if they think they would ever see Avengers being made for 200 million dollar budget if it was only streamed at home .

People getting together in a living room and only having to fork out $20 to watch it?

Yeah, glad you guys think that's even practical if you want cinema and technology to advance lol

Netflix has more than 100 million subs at $10+/month.

Conservatively, that is $12 billion/year in gross revenue and constantly going up.

The Netflix model has a high buy-in, but every additional sub is more and more profit. It is a cyclical model where more subs -> more profit -> more spending on higher budget content -> more subs, etc.

Netflix will have a blockbuster action film. Just give it time.

Dunno why you're all so averse to going out in public to see a movie? Like i'm super excited to see Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX. I get why Netflix pushes for having more ways to watch, but at the same time other people are running businesses too.. And some of us don't mind going to a theater to see a movie. Hell when I saw paranormal activity and the theater was scared spooked, shit made the experience way more engaging for me.

Sometimes you get crying kids or assholes talking and that sucks, but don't let that define the experience for you. Go to a different theater if assholes aren't being dealt with or you're not being comped in some way for the inconvenience. I remember one dude who was talking in the theater, stepped out to smoke some weed and the police came in to pull the guy out -- he argued and ended up getting tased lol.

It is on the theater to make sure that experience is worthwhile.

My SO shouldn't have to hope that someone tall doesn't sit in front of her.
Handicap seats shouldn't all be jammed up in the front rows.
Security should be ensuring that kids aren't running around causing trouble.

A good theater takes care of these issues by having stadium seating, good seat distribution, and a code of conduct that is enforced. Someone acts like a shit at a live theater show, they get kicked out ASAP. Movie theaters should do the same.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Manchester by the sea was a best picture nominee.. not some obscure piece you can only hear about on a gaming forum

Yes, I know. Pretty much all their other films were obscure. People's criticism of Netflix's model is that it does a disservice to the films since they don't get promoted to the public. Looking at Amazon's list, only Manchester by the Sea is well known.

SilentRob

People want to watch movies at home. Point blank. If I could just order a new movie for 20$ on my cable box or through an internet site and skip the theatre then so be it. Not having to share a theatre with loud ass teenage kids will be a god send. Sorry Mr. Nolan but theatres are kind of a novelty this day and age.

Watching a movie like Dunkirk or Gravity anywhere but the cinema would be in detriment of the movie, so it's obvious why one of the directors of these movies wouldn't be a great fan of services basically undermining the existence of movie theaters.

That's my point. Let's say the theatrical window is 6 months. Okja is still gonna end up on Netflix forever. It's still gonna be a film to add to their catalogue. Releasing it straight to streaming makes no difference.

It does to people who wouldn't see that release in theaters. Closest theater to me that gets those releases is several hours away (and make no mistake, movies like Okja aren't full release movies). Doing this would just force me to wait 6 months for a movie for arbitrary reasons.

And he's right about the Netflix model of distribution. I'm disappointed that the irishman is gonna be a Netflix release even tho I'm happy they financed the project

Ideally Netflix movies get like a one month limited release in theaters before they hit the platform imo. Would have been cool to have seen okja in cinema

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The problem with the "theater experience" is that I have to share that experience with a bunch of strangers who may not share the same respect for that experience.

If I could pay a premium for a ticket where there were only adults, who don't use their cell phones, who don't hack and cough, leave their seats and come back 45 times during the movie, etc. I would do it.

Since that isn't an available option, I'd rather just watch at home, despite not having a projector and sound that make the "theater experience" so grand.

Netflix wins this round to me.

I agree. I can only stand flix brewhouse and Alamo drafthouse. Spares me most teens, craft beer, better seating, and no propaganda level dumbfuck ads about coke and popcorn.

Buckle

Sounds abit old fashioned.

Whether watching them at the theater or at home, as long as I get to see them, I'm good.

Top Bottom