• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan criticizes Netflix's digital distribution model for movies

True but unless you're going to a Drafthouse or Night showing, it's gonna get ruined by assholes such as parents who couldn't hire a babysitter, phone jerks, loud talkers, etc.

Across 20 years and hundreds of showings, all of three times has that ever been a real issue for me. And one of those times I wouldn't even count, since it was actually a live concert set to the movie (Jurassic Park) rather than a proper theatrical showing.

Seriously? Watching major sporting events in stadiums have been some of best experiences of my life.

I think they were joking.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Seriously? Watching major sporting events in stadiums have been some of best experiences of my life.

I don't know if we're just more polite in the UK, but I have only once had a bad experience in a cinema like that in my entire life.

I think he was being facetious but human interaction is something to be avoided by some due to a bad experiences here and there.

Ploid 3.0

I'm with Netflix on this. Screw having to wait to see a movie on Netflix, I'm not a fan of having to go to theaters if there's an option. I have a good setup at home.

Get em Netflix!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What? $1 billion in ticket sales doesn't tell you anything?

It tells me that people enjoy watching movies and are willing to pay for them. Tells me nothing about the theater experience and how many people actually like and or prefer it to watching in the comfort of their own homes.

Ploid 3.0

I don't know where the person you quoted was going, but at least Stadium and Bars don't have an embargo type situation on drinks, and games. People around the word can watch the Super Bowl, or the World Cup from their couch while drinking their favorite beverage. They can also watch new Netflix movies from their couch.

Edit: Oh they were joking.

The backlash in this thread isn't even about convenience, really. The movie would still be available on home devices after a certain window of time. It's about feeling entitled to watch a movie day one in the Netflix app on your Galaxy while you participate in a raid and browse GAF.
Actually it's the movie theaters that feel entitled to an exclusivity window. If all movies were simultaneously available for streaming customers would vote with their wallet for home streaming.

Doikor

What exactly do you think would cause them to be good enough for people not to just stream?

Yes, the business model depends on exclusivity. But that doesn't mean there's some new model that wouldn't. If anything theaters would have to raise ticket prices and spend less money on projection hardware... but.. then even less people would go.

Name a few things you think cinemas could change?

Well for one at least here they haven't put any money in upgrading anything. The shitty digital projectors they got have worse picture quality then the film ones before them. Tickets are 12 to 20 euros depending on the time of day + 3D. I literally have to go to another country (Estonia being the closest one) to go to an IMAX screen. Yeah the film experience sucks here in Finland. Basically one chain has monopoly and does what ever the fuck they want. I guess the only good thing is that the audiences behave well here.

And do you know how all the small non chain cinemas make their living here? Showing art films that the big ones won't show and showing old films that you can see on Netflix or DVD/Bluray because they get the distribution rigths dirty cheap. Also the tickets are like 6 to 8 euros.

Ashhong

It tells me that people enjoy watching movies and are willing to pay for them. Tells me nothing about the theater experience and how many people actually like and or prefer it to watching in the comfort of their own homes.

So then what tells you "they haven't been the main place to watch movies for most people for quite some time now."? Your gut feeling?

They are already changing. Reserved seating, reclining leather seats, much better food and service at your seat through the movie, even adding beer and liquor.

And better projection and sound systems. I think the future of cinemas is luxury, quality over quantity. More expensive, but worth it for people who really want to experience a movie instead of simply watching it. I could even see most large theaters closing and smaller ones opening that focus on that quality over quantity. Having 20 shitty screens these days is just ridiculous and bound to have long stints of empty chairs and wasted potential, but having like 4 high quality screens, rotating movies if need be, that would have no problem keeping its chairs full, while also keeping day to day costs lower. The only problem there is that smaller films would lose their screen realistate as there would only be space and time for blockbusters. But that wouldn't bother me one bit. Those smaller movies can do just fine in the home realm.

Won

I can only repeat what was said a dozen times already, but if exclusivity is the only thing that keeps cinema alive, then I would definitely argue that's cinema's problem to figure out.

Which my be hard, but such is business.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, I have little sympathy for theatres charging more and more for the same service while digital has embraced the convenience and acknowledged other ways to consume that same content, also causing theatres to adapt and provide a different experience (3D, Dbox, ordering food, etc.). There's a bunch of filmmakers out there that, while still romanticizing the theatre experience like many of us do, acknowledge how far the institution has strayed from what made it great and how those same social and recreational functions are being accomplished in other formats like digital.

Regardless of how you prefer to watch your movies, times have changed, and most importantly the market has spoken, and Netflix' approach provides flexibility for your preferences, be it the big comfy couch or the theatre. A streaming service funding films to lock out of their streaming service for an arbitrary and continually shrinking period of time is ass backwards and Netflix has only prospered from the opposite strategy.

I feel like people that aren't all that big on cinema are the ones that are the "I like the comfort of my couch more" group

Don't know where most of you live but the theaters around me are upgrading and taking strides in better/more unique directions .

overcast

As somebody who loves theater going I hate how Netflix movies don't even get shown in theaters. Amazon released some of the best films (Manchester By The Sea and The Handmaiden) last year into theaters before being available widely at home. Much more preferable.

I don't think it's wrong to release onto streaming but I WANT to support something like Okja by seeing it in theaters. There can be both.

Castef

Banned
TV movies have always been a thing.

Usually they were cheap. Now Netflix does them right.

What's the problem?

Let's say Netflix sends those movies in theaters. Would Netflix users pay 10$/person for the ticket while they could see the very same movie in 4K at home?

Would theater owners reduce the ticket price for those movies to attract Netflix users?

If the only thing drawing people to the theater is artificial scarcity then the theater is adding zero value.

The theater experience used to be a massive step up over the home experience. Today, that's not there in a lot of places.

There are some theaters that have put in effort and do make it worthwhile to see something on the big screen. But it took years for theaters (as an industry) to start making that investment and adding value.

Theaters that do add value will always draw people. They can show new films, or they can show old films, and still pack the house. Hell, good theaters can still sell out (at a premium) when showing TV shows. That is a thing.

Something that is free on TV, yet people will still pay to see it on a quality big screen, with a large audience.

While it's not a theater directly, tickets for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at the symphony hall are currently selling out at $150+ here in SF. They had to add additional showings.

That is an old film, that anyone can easily rent or purchase to watch at home, but the symphony is packing seats for an exhibition because the score is being performed live. THAT is a value add.

I'm not saying that theaters need to have live music, but the ones that want to survive long term need to offer real value beyond "exclusivity" to continue to draw crowds.
Exclusivity is part of what draws people in, but it's not everything. As you confirmed, people LIKE going to a theater - even if the content is something they could see for free elsewhere. But that isn't enough to run an entire industry upon. Exclusivity bumps up that audience number, and ensures more people see the film as it was meant to be seen - in a theater.

And plenty of theaters are focusing on an improved experience. Most chains do reserved seating. More offer beer/wine, and expanded food options. Plenty of theaters are being refitted to house fewer seats that are full recliners.

The simple fact is that the exhibition market relies on exclusivity to survive. And the studios rely on the higher revenue to make films at the scale and capacity they currently do. Netflix can try to disrupt it all they want, but they're only harming themselves and their creators with their efforts.

Syriel

I don't think a short window for theaters is a big deal. is it really gonna kill you to wait a couple months?

Heh. You obviously haven't read enough TV-GAF threads. There is a large segment here on the forum that openly justifies piracy because they don't want to wait.

What exactly do you think would cause them to be good enough for people not to just stream?

Yes, the business model depends on exclusivity. But that doesn't mean there's some new model that wouldn't. If anything theaters would have to raise ticket prices and spend less money on projection hardware... but.. then even less people would go.

Name a few things you think cinemas could change?

What could theaters do?

Better quality projection/screens.
Better seats.
Better enforcement of no interruptions/no phones/etc.
Better food (if I'm paying a premium, make it worth it).

There are a number of theaters that are doing this.

Theaters with improved service can also expand beyond films. That's been happening already with certain TV shows. Just because it's a theater doesn't mean it can only show new release films.

Basically, give me enough of an improvement to justify dropping $30-40 so two of us would rather come to the theater than sit at home.

Some theaters could also strike deals like Regal has been for the past year or two. It's actually kind of brilliant, IMO. If you see a block of four films in the theater and have a Regal rewards membership, you'll automatically get the UV code (for free) the day the film is available for VOD purchase. This encourages people to pay a premium to see the movie in the theater right away, because they know that they're also getting the home video copy as part of that purchase.

Kelsdesu

Nope. Don't agree with Nolan at all. Its a business and if you want to see their original content then sign up.

Something like Okja and Beast of no Nation is something I honestly would not pay at a movie theater for.

Tobor

Horse salesman yells at car.

Bingo.

I can only repeat what was said a dozen times already, but if exclusivity is the only thing that keeps cinema alive, then I would definitely argue that's cinema's problem to figure out.

Which my be hard, but such is business.

Bingo.

Nolan knows as well as we do that if movies were released the same day at home as in theater the market would stay home. And that's the exhibitors fault.

If Nolan wants to champion saving the cinema, he should focus on fixing the real problems, like the perceived lack of value and sky high concession prices.

Netflix is a solution, not the problem.

overcast

Can't wait until theaters are dead and movies just release straight away on vod services.
Speak for yourself man. Going to the theaters with friends or my girl or my brother is 100% better. At home people constantly turn to their phones, talk and make noise. Alone the sound/picture isn't as good for me. On a personal and social level theaters are better for me.

I'll catch things at home of course, but if I want to see a movie I will catch it in a theater first.

karnage10

Banned
I don't mind theaters but i don't get why would netflix need to launch their movies first on theaters.
I'd be fine with a theaters and a digital release at the same time. If that happened maybe I'd waste more money on movies instead of games.

Speak for yourself man. Going to the theaters with friends or my girl or my brother is 100% better. At home people constantly turn to their phones, talk and make noise. Alone the sound/picture isn't as good for me. On a personal and social level theaters are better for me.

I'll catch things at home of course, but if I want to see a movie I will catch it in a theater first.

This doesn't make any sense. In theaters you have a lot more noise and are forced to have subtitles. The fact that your friends dont respect your "home studio" either indicates they shouldn't be your friends or you really don't care that much about it.

I'd also say that it's pretty much guaranteed that Netflix have looked into various models for theatrical releases of their films and clearly they can't make the numbers work rather than some Machiavellian scheme to ruin cinemas. Does anyone think a content producer would turn down "free" money if the figures added up?!
Honestly, yes. Silicon Valley culture often puts ideals above profits. It wouldn't surprise me if the driving force behind Netflix's resistance to cinemas isn't about profit, but spite.

dbztrk

Cinemas and the living room are in competition with each other and I think it's inevitable that the Cinemas will lose. We are society of convenience and comfort. Our televisions are the theater experience all the while be able to watch the movie in my PJs, on my comfy couch and I don't have to pay an arm and leg for snacks.

While I don't think Cinemas should die out as they have a time and a place, I think the home theater will eventually positions itself as being equal to or better than the cinema in overall experience.

JABEE

Interesting that Nolan talks about a 90 day window when the same window before Netflix was more like 180 days and most films today are more like 30-60 before paid VOD. I wonder if this number will go up or down over time and whether people should invest more or less in theatres going forward. Hmm.

And people will wonder why they don't make certain kinds of films anymore. Who is going to finance Apocalypse Now to stream on Netflix? (Coppola spent all his money making this film)

Everything will be made cheaply just like in the TV and music industry.

Reality TV, EDM, and documentaries streamed to shitty phone screens. No more mesmerizing epics that require time and money to create.

Dunkirk, Planet of the Apes, and Avatar would never be funded using the Netflix model. It doesn't happen.

Netflix original series shows look like they were made on a shoe-string budget. Anything that goes over gets fucked and cancelled. Look at the series "Get Down." They had to animate most of the 2nd half of the series, because Netflix couldn't give a shit about art or the product they are selling.

People are out of their mind if they think they would ever see Avengers being made for 200 million dollar budget if it was only streamed at home .

People getting together in a living room and only having to fork out $20 to watch it?

Yeah, glad you guys think that's even practical if you want cinema and technology to advance lol

Wiped89

Horse salesman yells at car.

Don't agree with this. Plenty of people still enjoy cinemas.

Hell, I have a big OLED TV and sound system at home and I still want to go to the cinema to see new releases. You can't possibly compare an IMAX screen to a Netflix stream, no matter how good your TV is.

Some people don't like cinemas and that's fine. They're not going anywhere, though.

Ploid 3.0

I was just thinking about how little I'm interested in movies these days. They take a lot of time, and going to the movies takes even more time due to having to set up a date and go on their time slot (not flexible at all).

I should look up what movies are on netflix and watch a bit, close it when I have to do something else, and continue later where I left off. Now to look up a list of shows worth looking at on Netflix. I'm sure I missed out on a ton, I mainly use it for the marvel shows, 30 Rock, and other random popular things (Stranger Things, etc.).

dl77

Honestly, yes. Silicon Valley culture often puts ideals above profits. It wouldn't surprise me if the driving force behind Netflix's resistance to cinemas isn't about profit, but spite.

Lol. Like they're going to go into their annual shareholders meeting and say "Yes we can make substantial profits theatrically but we're not going to because we don't like cinema. Hope you're all ok with that."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And people will wonder why they don't make certain kinds of films anymore. Who is going to finance Apocalypse Now to stream on Netflix? (Coppola spent all his money making this film)

Everything will be made cheaply just like in the TV and music industry.

Reality TV, EDM, and documentaries streamed to shitty phone screens. No more mesmerizing epics that require time and money to create.

Dunkirk, Planet of the Apes, and Avatar would never be funded using the Netflix model. It doesn't happen.

Netflix original series shows look like they were made on a shoe-string budget. Anything that goes over gets fucked and cancelled. Look at the series "Get Down." They had to animate most of the 2nd half of the series, because Netflix couldn't give a shit about art or the product they are selling.

TV is looking better than ever and its not just Netflix so I have no clue what you're on about.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Personally, I prefer to watch movies at home. Generally, me and my wife wait until they drop on Amazon VoD or Netflix before we check out the vast majority of films released. Moviegoing is expensive, even when it's just a date between two people.

I have a big screen tv, a nice comfy bed, plenty of snacks, and no distractions, or people recording the movie (happened when we saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2, then again in Wonder Woman), or talking, or playing games on their phones, etc, etc. Just me, my wife, and the movie.

I'd gladly pay if there was a service that let me rent a newly released movie for a few hours, at the cost of a movie ticket. The catch being that you had to watch the film within the hour of renting it.

There will always be people that want to see a movie in the theater, so I don't think filmmakers have to worry about that.But I also don't see anything wrong with people preferring to see them in the comfort of their own home. As long as they aren't pirating the movie, I don't see the problem.

I found an auditorium in town that I really like. Dolby Atmos and recliners. Doesn't have the red cast on the bottom of the screen from red aisle lighting like the Dolby Cinema screens have.

In the last month I've watched Wonder Woman, War for the Planet of the Apes, and Spider-Man on that screen. I sit dead center three rows from the back, the viewing position is perfect and the Dolby Atmos is the most immersive theater sound I've heard.

Typically when I go for a 5pm Tuesday showing there's like maybe six other people in the room. Nirvana.

I'm actually going to more movies per month this year than I have in over 20 years.

Kaizer

Banned
Much in the same way there are some shows or movies that I enjoy watching in the comfort of my home, there are just some movies that demand to be watched in a theater in my opinion. There's absolutely no way watching Avatar for the first time would've been the same visual experience if I had watched it at my home on my normal flatscreen. I can see how for people who can afford & have a good home theater setup, watching a lot of bigger, blockbuster titles at home can be enticing, but for me, there are just some films that you HAVE to watch in a movie theater.

I saw that special preview for Dunkirk at an IMAX theater ahead of Wonder Woman & it was truly & absolutely astounding. I can only imagine how the full film will look like in IMAX, & I can almost gurantee watching it on a normal home tv setup will not be remotely the same experience.

TV is looking better than ever and its not just Netflix so I have no clue what you're on about.

Like what? Lol... game of thrones after its been airing for 10 seasons and finally able to get a huge budget ?

Tell me all these tv movies/shows that have this high production budget

Timbuktu

I have pretty good set up at home but still prefer to go to the cinema, almost once a week at some times of the year. Netflix can do what they want, but i am not obliged to use them either.

Starviper

Dunno why you're all so averse to going out in public to see a movie? Like i'm super excited to see Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX. I get why Netflix pushes for having more ways to watch, but at the same time other people are running businesses too.. And some of us don't mind going to a theater to see a movie. Hell when I saw paranormal activity and the theater was scared spooked, shit made the experience way more engaging for me.

Sometimes you get crying kids or assholes talking and that sucks, but don't let that define the experience for you. Go to a different theater if assholes aren't being dealt with or you're not being comped in some way for the inconvenience. I remember one dude who was talking in the theater, stepped out to smoke some weed and the police came in to pull the guy out -- he argued and ended up getting tased lol.

The backlash in this thread isn't even about convenience, really. The movie would still be available on home devices after a certain window of time. It's about feeling entitled to watch a movie day one in the Netflix app on your Galaxy while you participate in a raid and browse GAF.

Entitled? You can't be serious. We're paying for Netflix. It's a Netflix funded movie. How are paying customers expecting to get exclusive content first being entitled?!

Man, fuck that.

I love going to the movies. There's plenty of content on streaming services if you want to plant your ass at home.

Multiple cinemas near me offer $5-6 Sunday matinees.
Over here I have $5 Tuesday shows all day. It's great. I love going to the movies because it's a great experience to be immersed in (regardless of the type of movie). And for certain types of movies I really enjoy the communal experience. I don't see why we can't have both, using the Amazon model.

dl77

People are out of their mind if they think they would ever see Avengers being made for 200 million dollar budget if it was only streamed at home .

I don't think that's unrealistic. Netflix are currently spending $100m on a gangster film with no A-list stars. If theatrical presentations died then it stands to reason that VOD would increase ergo more people subscribing to services like Netflix. In that case the amount that can be spent producing content would increase.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Like what? Lol... game of thrones after its been airing for 10 seasons and finally able to get a huge budget ?

Tell me all these tv movies/shows that have this high production budget

West World is a big one. Better Call Saul is not fancy but it's as well filmed and presented as the best drama films

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
A few years ago I heard the prediction theaters will eventually become premium, almost Broadway like experiences with ticket prices to match. So going to see a movie in a theater would be much more of an event. Seems that would work well for Nolan's movies. Either way, seems the landscape is definitely changing, it'll be interesting to see those who adapt and those who dont.

Top Bottom