• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS! Read first post for information.

test_account

XP-39C²
ZeroTolerance said:
Ah, good to know. I missed out on its first release so will defintely check it out this time around. Thanks.
No problem :) I havnt played the SNES version of Chrono Trigger myself, hopefully i will some day. Or maybe i will play the DS version first, i dont know, unfortunately i'm sometimes lazy when it comes to play some games :( I guess its the lack of motivation to start to play games, especially role playing games that are relatively long. But sometimes if i start to play these games the motivation might come so i will contunie to play the games more :)

Fatbot said:
So is it a just a 2D port like the gametrailers video makes it out to be?

My guess that it is unless someone can post something proving otherwise.

If that is the case, they'll probably release another version ala the FF4 remake later down the line just because they can (as it'll sell copies both ways.)

RpgN

To be honest, they're being pretty lazy with this port. I'm not asking for a huge remake, but the ds is not a gba either. So take advantage of what the ds can offer with better 2d graphics and music. Though the graphics do look nice now and definitely for a snes game, but it should have been more for a ds game.

Somnia

They most definatly are just pushing it out the door because they know we will buy it either way, but if this game sells good enough and that makes them make a sequel...I am all for it :D

Zeenbor

Looks like they've upgraded the colors from the SNES restrictions (16 4-bit palettes). It's much, much more vibrant now. There are many more colors being used! I'm guessing this is what they mean by "enhanced".

Zeenbor said:
Looks like they've upgraded the colors from the SNES restrictions (16 4-bit palettes). It's much, much more vibrant now. There are many more colors being used! I'm guessing this is what they mean by "enhanced".

So.....it's like the Okami port?

Where is teh paper filter!!!11!

Zeenbor said:

I think you forget just how pretty CT was on the SFC.

Princess Skittles said:
I hope they fill in the blanks of Triple Techs (I seem to recall a few empty combinations).
I don't remember how many triple techs there were, but I believe there'd be 35 possible three-party combinations. So yeah, a lot unfilled.
Zeenbor said:
Any direct comparisons you want to make with old pics? I'm trying not to read too much into things like the released screenshots. Considering the original game was 256x224 and each DS screen is 256x192, JPEG screens at resolutions like 290x217 are stretched and imprecise.

Zeenbor

Dragona Akehi said:
I think you forget just how pretty CT was on the SFC.

OLD:

chrono.png

NEW:

c20080707_18_ct_03_cs1w1_290x.jpg

You can see the difference, hopefully. There are just more colors being used (and different colors being used all together).

Can't be for certain until we get direct screen grabs though.

Aeana

Zeenbor said:
OLD:

chrono.png

NEW:

You can see the difference, hopefully. It's not blurry in the new one, there are just more colors being used.

Can't be for certain until we get direct screen grabs though.

How about...

campfire_4.gif

RpgN

The snes version looks sharper and better :lol Please let this be just the screenshot quality!

psy18

Just throw away your hope for getting graphic revamp.
Might be better if they put the resource to add more story/explanation with CC.

Death_Born said:
You mean to tell me that left looks better than right?

Uh, the one on the left looks infinitely better. It also looks better when it isn't scaled way out of proportion. You guys can keep your smudgy, blurry, messy filters. I've never thought they looked good on emulators.

A redrawn Chrono Trigger wouldn't be bad, but you can't really just rely on these filters to do that job.

This game will look great running on an actual DS, as it looks great on a TV when played on an SNES.

You guys forget that CRTs combined with the low resolution of 16-bit systems and shoddy RF/composite connections would cause it's own blur and filtered look. As much as you guys like the look of the screen on the left, what most of use saw on our TVs was closer to the one on the right (just not as clear).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wow, complaining about it costing 40 dollars to buy now...you guys remember what the original cartridge cost? Yup, a cool $70.00.

According to inflation measured by the Consumer Price Index, what cost $70 in 1994 would cost $99.27 in 2007.

Angry Grimace said:
Complaining about it costing 40 dollars...you guys remember what the original cartridge cost? According to the inflation calculators, what cost $70 in 1994 would cost $99.27 in 2007.

Point? The cards do not cost as much to make as the SNES game did.

It's an SE tax, not a legitimate "we need to make the money back". CTDS will be a must-buy, but it doesn't need to be priced at $40.00, because it's just a port with extras that was really just a GBA game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A Link to the Snitch said:
Point? The cards do not cost as much to make as the SNES game did.

It's an SE tax, not a legitimate "we need to make the money back". CTDS will be a must-buy, but it doesn't need to be priced at $40.00, because it's just a port with extras that was really just a GBA game.
Point being that a little perspective is in order. And it's hardly an "S-E tax", becuase you don't have to buy it. The fact remains that for the most part, half of the SNES cartridges don't even work anymore due to the battery wearing out.

I'll grant that everyone's also played this one before, but then again, you're also getting it for 40% of what it cost when it came out and that now it's portable, which seems to be most overlooked positive of the re-issue.

I personally have some excitement over the fact that Squeenix is putting out ANYTHING with the word "Chrono" in the title after having basically thrown the series in the wastebin for almost 10 years.

Aeana

_leech_ said:
You guys forget that CRTs combined with the low resolution of 16-bit systems and shoddy RF/composite connections would cause it's own blur and filtered look. As much as you guys like the look of the screen on the left, what most of use saw on our TVs was closer to the one on the right (just not as clear).

ct-r.jpg

It looked more like that, for me.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Death_Born said:
You mean to tell me that left looks better than right?

http://i32.tinypic.com/k1b3ti.png
Yes, the one on the left looks better. The atrocity on the right is a blurry, ugly mess.

_leech_ said:
Nope. I never had anything as ugly as the filtered mess on my television. I had very distinct visible pixels and clarity. Not everyone on the planet used RF and a dead TV, you know... some of us used composite or s-video and a good quality display unit.

Angry Grimace

DavidDayton said:
Yes, the one on the left looks better. The atrocity on the right is a blurry, ugly mess.

Nope. I never had anything as ugly as the filtered mess on my television. I had very distinct visible pixels and clarity. Not everyone on the planet used RF and a dead TV, you know... some of us used composite or s-video and a good quality display unit.
And some of us were actual children that enjoyed video games for their overall effect rather than whether the freakin' pixels were properly visible. :lol

Vinci

Danish
Iaido Sword said:
Those bullshots need more gray, brown, and bloom.

Waaay too colourful.

CONFIRMED: S-E is internally restructuring for the future: Wii and DS games. They're skipping next-gen from now on.

Angry Grimace said:
Point being that a little perspective is in order. And it's hardly an "S-E tax", becuase you don't have to buy it. The fact remains that for the most part, half of the SNES cartridges don't even work anymore due to the battery wearing out.

I'll grant that everyone's also played this one before, but then again, you're also getting it for 40% of what it cost when it came out and that now it's portable, which seems to be most overlooked positive of the re-issue.

I personally have some excitement over the fact that Squeenix is putting out ANYTHING with the word "Chrono" in the title after having basically thrown the series in the wastebin for almost 10 years.

A little perspective? You're comparing an awful situation where games were horrible expensive to a much, much, much better situation and using it to validate making games more expensive.

Your post definitely failed to establish one thing - that the game, NOW, should be overpriced.

Reilly

Angry Grimace said:
Wow, complaining about it costing 40 dollars to buy now...you guys remember what the original cartridge cost? Yup, a cool $70.00.

According to inflation measured by the Consumer Price Index, what cost $70 in 1994 would cost $99.27 in 2007.

This is by far the biggest piece of shit post I've seen in awhile.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Iaido Sword said:
Those bullshots need more gray, brown, and bloom.

Waaay too colourful.

Yeah, it looks nothing like Diablo II!! :D

Anyway, what Aeana posted is pretty much how it looked on my TV so many years ago. I then remember that Chrono Trigger was one of the first games that I tried my fancy new S-video cable. It looked...different.

Sometimes pixel filters work and sometimes they don't. I think they're really outstanding when used on a game that is intended to have that kind of look anyway, like Yoshi's Story.

Angry Grimace

Princess Skittles said:
I hope they fill in the blanks of Triple Techs (I seem to recall a few empty combinations).
It's not that there were "empty" combinations, it's that for the most part (without special items) they all required Crono to be a part of them. Given that there was no real incentive (or even ability for most of the game) to remove him from your party, I can see why they didn't bother making any of those.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Princess Skittles said:
Okay, you got me. :lol Can't believe I missed that.

BTW, has it been confirmed/debunked yet if this is what Nintendo Power was talking about?

Jiggy

While I'm thinking about it, I think it'd be really cool if they took a cue from The World Ends With You and unlock a chapter select for New Game+. Or--well, what I have in mind isn't exactly a chapter select, but something along the lines of a system where each time you see one of the endings, you open some kind of feature where you can jump to a point in the story where you would be able to get that ending when you feel like it. I don't know, it's hard to explain, but it'd be interesting to see.

I'd also like it if they took the cue to allow you to scale down your level whenever, so that I could adjust down and have some fun fighting wussy beginning-of-game bosses only to adjust back up when needed, but I'll try not to be too hopeful about that one.

Anyway, re: the price... As with the Dragon Quest remakes, TWEWY, and others, I'm annoyed at the probable Square-Enix Tax precisely because Chrono Trigger is such an excellent game. The gaming world isn't all about me, and I don't want one more layer of psychological barrier potentially preventing would-have-been newcomers from getting in on high-quality gaming, from purchasing CT, and from implicitly saying by doing so that they want more games in this vein. Fanservice and portability is great and all, but it would be nice if Chrono Trigger (and the DQ remakes) could earn another audience besides that whole wide world of 1) diehards who have already played and 2) people who have already had those diehards shill the game for them.

Regardless of one's thoughts on techniques for enlarging and smoothing sprites (which is NOT anti-aliasing), there's no way that was going to happen on DS's lower resolution screen anyway, so it's a moot disappointment.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
JoshuaJSlone said:
Regardless of one's thoughts on techniques for enlarging and smoothing sprites (which is NOT anti-aliasing), there's no way that was going to happen on DS's lower resolution screen anyway, so it's a moot disappointment.
Is it lower resolution than the SNES??? If so.. disappointing.

Top Bottom