• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS! Read first post for information.

BocoDragon said:
Is it lower resolution than the SNES??? If so.. disappointing.
20080708snesdsres.png

Mr. Wonderful said:
When the screen might not be stretched across both screens, that's not a point.

Well, I would expect them to crop 32 lines of vertical resolution.

But thankfully, we should not lose much in terms of veiwing area where it's most important, the dungeon and town scenes.

It turns out that those scenes only use a resolution of 256 x 211, as the bottom 13 lines of pixels are left black.

Furthermore, a battle scene needs at least 256 X 199 pixels.

You can see what I'm talking about here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11847254&postcount=1893

JoshuaJSlone said:
Regardless of one's thoughts on techniques for enlarging and smoothing sprites (which is NOT anti-aliasing), there's no way that was going to happen on DS's lower resolution screen anyway, so it's a moot disappointment.

How can you say it's lower resolution if it's basically the same number of pixels across and almost the same from top to bottom?

Wasn't the sprite smooting done on an emulated SNES screen? Wouldn't it technically be the same resolution?

Death_Born said:
How can you say it's lower resolution if it's basically the same number of pixels across and almost the same from top to bottom?
Because "The same across" times "Slightly lower top to bottom" equals "Slightly lower overall". That's just fact.
Wasn't the sprite smooting done on an emulated SNES screen? Wouldn't it technically be the same resolution?
I'm not sure which two things you mean as being the same here. The original SNES resolution and single-screen DS resolution are very similar. But unless we're talking about a portable with a crazy high resolution compared to either (or even PSP), filters that multiply the image's height and width by 2, 3, or more are out of the question.

DonDepre

Banned
It's basicly a port. At least, Square enhanced the graphics of the FF I and II games in their GBA or PSP ports. In the screenshots, some mist & magic effects are shown, and they are exactly as the SNES version.

So, it's ok, because Europe never got legally Chrono Trigger, but I don't thing the game deserves a full-price if it's so similar to the original. Don't forget that PSX got a FF6 + ChronoTrigger pack, with cinematic scenes. Paying now 40€ (in Europe) for a perfect-SNES version of ChronoTrigger is not a big deal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DonDepre said:
It's basicly a port. At least, Square enhanced the graphics of the FF I and II games in their GBA or PSP ports. In the screenshots, some mist & magic effects are shown, and they are exactly as the SNES version.

So, it's ok, because Europe never got legally Chrono Trigger, but I don't thing the game deserves a full-price if it's so similar to the original. Don't forget that PSX got a FF6 + Chrono Trigger pack, with cinematic scenes. Paying now 40€ (in Europe) for a perfect-SNES version of ChronoTrigger is not a big deal.

Keep dreaming, it was FF4 and Chrono Trigger.

Zanasea

SQUARE ENIX ANNOUNCE CHRONO TRIGGER THE CLASSIC ADVENTURE AVAILABLE IN EUROPE AND PAL TERRITORIES FOR THE FIRST TIME

London (6th August 2008)– Square Enix Ltd., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in Europe and other PAL territories, today announces that CHRONO TRIGGER® will be released across PAL territories in early 2009 exclusively on the Nintendo DS™ handheld system.

They say that "time is money" but for our hero, Crono it is much more than that! Get ready to travel through time to avoid the destruction of the world as we know it. With CHRONO TRIGGER, your notion of time will be turned upside down as you race against it like you've never done before, while all the decisions you make along the way will affect past, present and future!

Originally released in 1995 for the Super NES® CHRONO TRIGGER is regarded as a classic that was sadly never released in the PAL territories. We may not have a time machine to rectify the past, but thankfully CHRONO TRIGGER is about to change history. This all-new edition of CHRONO TRIGGER contains all the classic essence of the original while introducing the portability, dual-screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality of the Nintendo DS.

John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix Ltd. comments, "It gives me great pleasure to see CHRONO TRIGGER being released in Europe and the PAL territories. With its ground breaking story and gameplay, this epic RPG with multiple endings has already won the hearts of many fans and I hope it delights a whole new audience of players into revisiting the CHRONO TRIGGER world time and again."

About CHRONO TRIGGER

Story

When a newly developed teleportation device malfunctions at the Millennial Fair, young Crono must travel through time to rescue his misfortunate companion from an intricate web of past and present perils. The swashbuckling adventure that ensues soon unveils an evil force set to destroy the world, triggering Crono's race against time to change the course of history and bring about a brighter future.

Features

• A masterpiece with an engaging and unparalleled storyline, leading to the discovery of multiple epic conclusions to a journey that transcends time.

• An unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda.

• Intriguing battle system made possible by the unique combination of the Active Time Battle system and Tech skills.

• Famed character designer Akira Toriyama lends his signature art style to create the vibrant world that has captivated gamers around the world.

• Taking advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware, CHRONO TRIGGER makes its way onto the portable platform with all-new dual screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality.

• A brand new dungeon and a DS Wireless Play mode adds exciting new dimensions to this timeless classic.
Yay.

sw26

Sweet, and early 09 is good for me seeing as we've got FFIV and DQ4 on the DS arriving before the end of the year, so plenty to be getting on with.

It's probably already been mentioned in this thread, but I would expect the bonus dungeon to be Singing Mountain, with a more fleshed out 65000000 B.C.

Owensboro

sp0rsk said:

God, when this game was first announced, I wasn't all that excited. I mean, don't get me wrong, Chrono Trigger is easily my all-time favorite RPG. Why I don't want to play it again is because I must have beaten this game from start to finish (not including New Game +'s) around 10 times. And that even includes the hellish re-do on the PSX whose load times made me want to rip my eyeballs out. I've seen every ending, and unlocked everything. Hell, my save on the SNES cartridge has 56 Rainbow Swords. I'm serious. And yes, that's the save where I beat the last boss with only Chrono.

But damn it all, I'm probably going to buy it, and play it again. I'm such a consumer whore. Why did you have to post that video?!? Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head forever.

1up

I wonder how many posts we'll see after this comes out of "I'm stuck at trying to catch that rat!" :lol

Tabris

Hcoregamer00 said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG!!

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND, JUST GIVE ME CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!!

Here you go

Seriousely, why can't they add more than a useless wireless play (like the rest of SE's games on DS (FFIII/IV) and a hidden dungeon? I dunno, what about new story scenes?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Uh, you might want to NOT watch that video. If I wasn't emotionally attached to Epoch ~Wings that Cross Time~ already I wouldn't have been able to watch it all the way through. Cramming god-awful J-pop into a game melody is not always a winning idea.

Top Bottom