• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit -

Update 11/12:

Update: mistrial by jury deadlock.

How a jury can watch that video and not see murder is incomprehensible.

Edit: also came out in trial the officer was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt under his police uniform.

Don't think I've seen this posted, maybe it will cheer us all up a bit.

80EW7HK.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/31/u...f-cincinnati-officer-charged-with-murder.html

Full, unedited body cam video.

WARNING: Extremely graphic

Link:

A University of Cincinnati police officer was indicted Wednesday on a murder charge in what a prosecutor called “a senseless, asinine shooting” during a minor traffic stop. It was the first time such a charge had been leveled against an officer in the city.

MSNBC finally showed the unedited footage. It looks like DuBose was trying to shield his head with his left arm before getting shot.

Screenshots:
Arm up
http://i.imgur.com/xgGxA8p.png

After being shot.
http://i.imgur.com/SUZfaVb.png

Video:

Live stream of Grand Jury's decision:
Cincinnati
WLWT News 5
Fox 19
cincinnati.com

MSNBC

Black Lives Matter protest at 6:30 EST

of Sam Dubose. Couldn't fit the whole title. Video hasn't been released yet.

An Ohio prosecutor is refusing to release body camera video from the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black man during a traffic stop — but top officials are suggesting that the video disputes the campus police officer’s claims of self-defense.

Officer Ray Tensing, of the University of Cincinnati police department, shot and killed 43-year-old Sam Dubose during a routine traffic stop July 19 near campus.

Tensing stopped Dubose about 6:30 p.m. because he did not have a license plate on the front of his car, in apparent violation of Ohio law, about a half-mile from campus in Cincinnati’s historic Mount Auburn neighborhood.

The officer claims Dubose would not show his driver’s license and instead produced a bottle of alcohol and refused to get out of his vehicle.

Tensing told 911 dispatchers that he fired one shot, fatally striking Dubose in the head, because he was “almost run over” during the traffic stop, but the officer said in the incident report that he was “dragged” by the vehicle.

Multiple media outlets have sued Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters to force the release of body cam video of the incident recorded by Tensing — but the prosecutor flatly stated that he would not do so without a court order until he has presented the case to a grand jury, which could happen this week.

“Unless I’m ordered to by the Ohio Supreme Court, and I doubt I will be, they’re not going to get it,” Deters said.

But Cincinnati’s police chief said he had seen the video, and he said “the video is not good.”

“It’s not a good situation, I think that’s clear, and it will become evident once that video is shown,” said Chief Jeffrey Blackwell, of Cincinnati police. “We’re just trying to do our best to be prepared for whatever might come out of it.”

The city manager said he had not seen the video, but he told WLWT-TV that the contents had been described to him.

“It was not a good situation,” said City Manager Harry Black. “Someone has died that didn’t necessarily have to die, and I will leave it at that.”

The University of Cincinnati has suspended off-campus police stops and will hire an independent external reviewer to examine the campus police department’s policies, procedures and practices.

Dubose’s family has hired attorney Mark O’Mara, who defended George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

“The family wants two things,” O’Mara said. “First, they want dignity for themselves and for Sam and his death, and they want transparency. They want to know what happened to what happened to him — first the ‘what’ and then the ‘why.'”

The pastor who will conduct funeral services Tuesday said Dubose’s family hoped to avoid the unrest that followed the fatal police shooting of an unarmed 19-year-old black man in 2001.

“To quote the family, ‘We don’t want another Timothy Thomas situation,'” said Pastor Ennis Tait, of the Church of the Living God. “They’ve said that and that’s their heart. They don’t want the city to be turned upside down and that issue to be attached to their brother’s life.”

The pastor, as city officials did, pointed out the reforms imposed on Cincinnati police by the U.S. Department of Justice following the riots 14 years ago.

“One of the major goals is that we don’t repeat 2001,” said Tait. “This incident has that potential, and our goal is to make sure it doesn’t reach that level.”

The prosecutor has stopped speaking with most local media, citing their lawsuits against him, but he told WLW-AM host Bill Cunningham that he has prosecuted police officers before.

“I’m not talking about this particular case, but if there’s a bad cop, the cops want him removed, OK?” Deters said. “They would give everybody a bad name. Nobody’s protecting anybody in this case.”

He blasted state Sen. Cecil Thomas, a former Cincinnati police officer and city councilman, for describing a “groundswell of anger” among community members.

“I think those comments are reckless,” Deters said. “People need to let the system work and let the chips fall where they may.”

Edit -

Public Safety (publicsafety) publicsafety@ucmail.uc.edu

9:16 AM

to SAFETYNOTICE

The University of Cincinnati will cancel all classes on the Uptown and Medical campuses at 11:00 a.m. today including all classes in session at that time. Offices on these campuses also will close at 11:00 a.m. This decision is made with an abundance of caution in anticipation of today’s announcement of the Hamilton County grand jury’s decision regarding the July 19 officer-involved shooting of Samuel Dubose and the release of the officer’s body camera video. We realize this is a challenging time for our university community.

This closing applies only to non-essential personnel. It does not involve the university’s Blue Ash and Clermont campuses.

Welp

Isak_Borg

Maybe the police should stop being so reckless, and that will help stop the comments, hey?

I'm amazed that the people in power are asking us to trust a system that is constantly failing minorities and low income individuals.

The government needs to stop killing minorities and telling us to STFU about it.

Measley

Man, wtf is going on? It's either mass shootings, or police shootings.

BTW, have the cops always been this bad? It's like this generation of cop is paranoid.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Then how about doing something about the situation other than preparing for the worst. If the footage is that fucking damning, then it's about goddamn time you do the right thing and become the standard of justice when cops decide they're above the law and start throwing their weight around.

Fuckin dickless weasels.

BTW, have the cops always been this bad? It's like this generation of cop is paranoid.
It's how they've been getting trained for the last few decades now. An Us V Them mentality. We, the citizens they vowed to protect, are now fully realizing how damaging that line of training, thought, and impact that is leaving on us as a society.

cwmartin

I get this eery feeling that most police officers have chosen to take a suspects life rather than letting them get away.

Is it worth murdering a human over?

To me, there just seems to be this over emphasis on not letting the 'bad guy' get away, by any means necessary.

Skyzard

Banned
No one is shocked.

The wait is for the video still, glad bodycams are a thing.

Watch them try and pass a law to make it illegal or much harder for the public to see this stuff.

Hycran

Banned
Title makes it seem that the cop got killed.

I would have thought the same thing if I didn't already know exactly what the op was referring to. When the video comes out of this guy just getting straight up popped for no reason, it is going to be absolute bedlam.

i have always had concerns about armed campus police, even after Virginia tech. I know it's the nati and you can get undesirables coming onto campus, but really if it gets too hot, please for christ sakes call the real police. Ugh. Will I force myself to watch, probably.

Syriel

Multiple media outlets have sued Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters to force the release of body cam video of the incident recorded by Tensing — but the prosecutor flatly stated that he would not do so without a court order until he has presented the case to a grand jury, which could happen this week.

“Unless I’m ordered to by the Ohio Supreme Court, and I doubt I will be, they’re not going to get it,” Deters said.

But Cincinnati’s police chief said he had seen the video, and he said “the video is not good.”

“It’s not a good situation, I think that’s clear, and it will become evident once that video is shown,” said Chief Jeffrey Blackwell, of Cincinnati police. “We’re just trying to do our best to be prepared for whatever might come out of it.”

Have to agree with the prosecutor here.

If he is going to make a case against a police officer, he wants to do it all by the book.

Not releasing evidence until after the grand jury convenes is the right thing to do.

scabro

theyre probably better than cops in the past. ironically. these things are happening with cops knowing there are cameras everywhere. imagine how it was when they knew no one was watching and they could write whatever they wanted in their reports. But this is no new development, social media and cameras are just bringing it to light.

Hari Seldon

I don't really have a problem with not releasing the video until after the grand jury has seen it. As long as it is released.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It must be really bad because we seen footage of cops being dirty before and they got a pass
Kinda rounds back around to the big question. How bad does it need to get for change to occur? 20+ kids killed by gunfire in a school, a man selling cigarettes in front of a store being choked to death on camera by cops...

I don't know if this footage could be anymore damning if it tried. Unless the officer gives his full name and intentions before proceeding kill this man I guess.

I'm just mentally and emotionally exhausted by all this.

Fuchsdh

I don't really have a problem with not releasing the video until after the grand jury has seen it. As long as it is released.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the sentiment that everything has to be released and subjected to a trial by the public immediately. Releasing it after being shown to a grand jury or as part of internal investigations and reports, whichever is first, seems like the right time to do it to me.

I dunno why these city employees are talking about it, though. They're just needlessly antagonizing people and making the situation worse.

Have to agree with the prosecutor here.

If he is going to make a case against a police officer, he wants to do it all by the book.

Not releasing evidence until after the grand jury convenes is the right thing to do.

The other issue I see with leaving when to release evidence outside of the judicial or department process is it sets up expectations of guilt and innocence based on how long it takes for the video to be made publicly available.

OctoMan

Banned
Wait, the black guy who got shot and killed, his family hired George Zimmerman's lawyer?

Wahetever works I guess.

According to what I'm seeing on Twitter (take with a grain of salt), U of C campus is being evacuated. There are state troopers there and students and non essential employees are being told to leave.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
According to what I'm seeing on Twitter (take with a grain of salt), U of C campus is being evacuated. There are state troopers there and students and non essential employees are being told to leave.

Saw that as well. Might be releasing the video?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Public Safety (publicsafety) publicsafety@ucmail.uc.edu

9:16 AM

to SAFETYNOTICE

The University of Cincinnati will cancel all classes on the Uptown and Medical campuses at 11:00 a.m. today including all classes in session at that time. Offices on these campuses also will close at 11:00 a.m. This decision is made with an abundance of caution in anticipation of today’s announcement of the Hamilton County grand jury’s decision regarding the July 19 officer-involved shooting of Samuel Dubose and the release of the officer’s body camera video. We realize this is a challenging time for our university community.

This closing applies only to non-essential personnel. It does not involve the university’s Blue Ash and Clermont campuses.

Welp

Africanus

Yes. The Timothy Thomas they refer to is this incident from 2001, which was the largest urban disturbance since a similar protest against the police in 1992.

These incidents by police go back all the way to the authorian measures implemented by certain Jamestown settlers, or the slave police in the post 1619 colonies.

KHarvey16

It sounds like there is little doubt in the minds of those who have seen it or had it described to them. I think releasing the video and the grand jury decision at the same time is the right call.

So is this standard for something like this? I understand that tensions have been high lately but do they really think people will attack the campus or something?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Maybe they will learn from Baltimore and arrest the officer in question.......

Then again that is way to common sense an approach to a problem..... better to evacuate everybody to a different town or school, maybe if their lucky to another state....

Tedesco!

So is this standard for something like this? I understand that tensions have been high lately but do they really think people will attack the campus or something?

I lived in Cincy during the Timothy Thomas incident, and the radio station I worked at told everyone they were free to leave if they felt scared. The funny thing was those that left were all the upper management and high paid people. All us grunts stayed. I remember having a smoke on the roof of the third floor with an engineer, and seeing a giant mass of people moving up the street in protest of what happened. It was pretty surreal.

Earendil

Yes. The Timothy Thomas they refer to is this incident from 2001, which was the largest urban disturbance since a similar protest against the police in 1992.

These incidents by police go back all the way to the authorian measures implemented by certain Jamestown settlers, or the slave police in the post 1619 colonies.

I remember the Timothy Thomas incident. I was actually driving through Downtown just before it started, wondering what was going on with the massive crowds that were gathering on Central Parkway. My company ended up keeping us out of the downtown area for several days to keep us safe.

Bodacious

Banned

Correct. As along as it is released, regardless of whether they indict or not.

I dunno why these city employees are talking about it, though. They're just needlessly antagonizing people and making the situation worse.

Maybe you answered your own question?

Darksol

I just don't understand how someone could be so fucking stupid and willing to kill someone while they have a fucking video camera strapped to their chest.

And the notion that it doesn't even seem to do much is all the more upsetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom