• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I just don't understand how someone could be so fucking stupid and willing to kill someone while they have a fucking video camera strapped to their chest.

And the notion that it doesn't even seem to do much is all the more upsetting.

well the camera was always the first step the second step was that police officers were to be indicted/lose their jobs based on the footage. That fear of repercussions is what is suppose to keep them in check...... unfortunately the legal system with prosecutors and grand jurys and whatnot is fucked up so that second part of the deterrent isn't working.

sonicmj1

I remembered that Amir0x made a thread about the long history of attempted reform in the Cincinnati Police Department. I guess we'll see how far they've come.

well the camera was always the first step the second step was that police officers were to be indicted/lose their jobs based on the footage. That fear of repercussions is what is suppose to keep them in check...... unfortunately the legal system with prosecutors and grand jurys and whatnot is fucked up so that second part of the deterrent isn't working.

This is why a lot of people lost faith in the body camera solution after Grand Jury decision on the Eric Garner case. The problem runs so much deeper than people simply knowing that this stuff is happening.

I remembered that Amir0x made a thread about the long history of attempted reform in the Cincinnati Police Department. I guess we'll see how far they've come.

This officer works for the University of Cincinnati. Campus Cop. Though I could be wrong about the connection with the city police. If someone knows, please school me.

daveo42

Banned
This officer works for the University of Cincinnati. Campus Cop. Though I could be wrong about the connection with the city police. If someone knows, please school me.

Yeah, the cop is related to UC, but this could impact the city at large depending on how the city and university handles it.

It should always be released, so long as the family consents. When the state takes a life, the public have a right to know why and how.

No they really don't.

The UK has an independent government body that polices the police. It's not in the publics interest to see cops kill people.

There should be an independent civilian body in the US that investigates police shootings and killings.

Garlador

This is going to get ugly, I assume.

Whatever the aftermath is, whatever outrage and finger-pointing, I hope that some good DOES come of this and change is enacted.

No they really don't.

The UK has an independent government body that polices the police. It's not in the publics interest to see cops kill people.

There should be an independent civilian body in the US that investigates police shootings and killings.

Busiest agency in the nation, right there.

Wads

Banned
For this unaware, Cincinnati has a history of riots in regards to police brutality. Don't be surprised to see riots if this is as bad as it sounds, i.e. unjustified.

Foggy

Things are already super tense after what happened on the 4th of July in downtown. Stay safe Cincy-GAF.

marrec

Banned
For this unaware, Cincinnati has a history of riots in regards to police brutality. Don't be surprised to see riots if this is as bad as it sounds, i.e. unjustified.

I imagine if an indictment comes down then it won't be as bad as it has been in the past.

If the Grand Jury decides not to indict though...

No they really don't.

That would be great but the USA has had more police killings this year than the UK has had in 100.

Volimar

Yeah, once the video is released that city is going to burn. It really doesn't even matter much if the cop is indicted, the people are fed up.

Stay safe Cincy GAF, from one Ohioan to another.

Velcro Fly

By all accounts from when this first broke it sounded bad. And if they are saying the video is bad this dude better get indicted.

I swear one of my fb friends posted something saying some high ranking person expected him to face charges.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
That title is bad. lol. Like posting:

"Breaking news: Obama assassinated" and then it being about a drone strike Obama put out assassinating an Isis member.

OT Well, let's see what this video has to offer. I'd like some truth.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This is why a lot of people lost faith in the body camera solution after Grand Jury decision on the Eric Garner case. The problem runs so much deeper than people simply knowing that this stuff is happening.

Exactly then you now have the precedent that it takes a riot to just get an indictment due to Baltimore and how basically we didn't even get that in all the other cases and yeah this is going to keep happening until either a special prosecutor position is made to deal with these cases.

Paskil

I don't think we'll be seeing a police defense force for this, at least prior to video release. When other police are talking about it being bad, it's pretty fucking bad.

RangerX

Banned
I still can't get my head around the fact that a university has an armed police department, what in the absolute fuck. If the video is a bad as the chief says I hope this guy gets put away for a long time. Over a missing license plate man.

wwm0nkey

I still can't get my head around the fact that a university has an armed police department, what in the absolute fuck. If the video is a bad as the chief says I hope this guy gets put away for a long time. Over a missing license plate man.
Not gonna lie, before this I never knew they were armed and I'm up there almost every day.

Have to agree with the prosecutor here.

If he is going to make a case against a police officer, he wants to do it all by the book.

Not releasing evidence until after the grand jury convenes is the right thing to do.

I agree, excepting the fact that the system is broken to the point that indictments are not happening without a public upswell, which generally comes after the release of video evidence.

So, the problem is an overall system that has largely let down the civilian populace in favor of protecting law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom