• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
I agree, excepting the fact that the system is broken to the point that indictments are not happening without a public upswell, which generally comes after the release of video evidence.

So, the problem is an overall system that has largely let down the civilian populace in favor of protecting law enforcement.

And in this case we're getting the Grand Jury decision and the release of the video on the same day.

heyf00L

I still can't get my head around the fact that a university has an armed police department, what in the absolute fuck. If the video is a bad as the chief says I hope this guy gets put away for a long time. Over a missing license plate man.

Every University I know of has one. They're real police: they go through the same academy, training, and licensing. They're state police with a focus on the campus. Campuses are in a lot of ways like a town unto themselves. What's weird about that?

Folks started paying attetion, the police have to self report this kind of shit, and paperwork gets lost or misfiled.

Is there actually any evidence of a cover up? I find it hard to believe that the police were able to hide tens, maybe hundreds of killings up until 2010.

Though the wiki article is probably very incomplete since one of their sources lists 391 justifiable killings in 2007 while the wiki page only mentions 25 for that year? Anyone know of a better source I could look at?

kirby_fox

Banned
Feels weird to see this as huge national news, when I technically work on UC campus. Really hoping that with the cancelling of classes they aren't expecting riots to break out due to it happening in the past. And for that matter, I hope we can peacefully protest without more violence from either protesters or officers.

Zyae

The prosecutor just said

"ive been doing this for 30 years and this is the most asinine thing ive ever seen a police officer do"

dave is ok

aztek is ok
He said Sam DeBose "was simply slowly rolling away" and the officer didn't need to shoot.

He thinks he lost his temper because he wouldn't get out of the car. Says "you will not believe how quickly he pulled his gun and shot him in the head. It was one second"

Mobius 1

Madness.

"This doesn't happen in the United States, it happens in Afghanistan. People don't get shot on traffic stops." (paraphrased).

"This is without question a murder"

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
"A second to take out his gun and shoot him in the head."

Jesus. Always quick to pull the trigger.

If they give him a Murder charge, it should alleviate some of the tension.

The problem in other cases is that the cop just gets desk duty or leave and wind up not being indicted.

A Murder charge at least tells everyone that it was wrong and the cop will go on trial for murder.

Arkeband

Banned
Do you guys have a link to the video of the press statement? The live stream links above said that they weren't available.

cirrhosis

If this video is as bad as this prosecutor says it is, this Zimmerman lawyer has their work cut out for them.

Prosecutor is a good guy, wish they were all like him.

I feel like I'm going to regret watching this.

Meier

As someone who works at a University, closing the campus is serious business. Wow.

Says "you will not believe how quickly he pulled his gun and shot him in the head. It was one second"

It's like the Trayvon murder - they rolled up and shot him dead within literal seconds. Unfathomable stuff.

TheFatOne

Man I'm worried about rioting now by the way he is speaking. He's making the video sound horrendous.

If they give him a Murder charge, it should alleviate some of the tension.

The problem in other cases is that the cop just gets desk duty or leave and wind up not being indicted.

A Murder charge at least tells everyone that it was wrong and the cop will go on trial for murder.

With so many high profile cases like this recently I don't think the murder charge will do much. Especially if it's as bad as he is making it seem. Man this is terrible.

Am I reading this wrong or is the lawyer who wants to go against the cop the same one who doesn't want the video released yet?

If so isn't that good news for the cop?

Edit - Reading the rest of the threads makes me want to see the video even more. Might witness a high level of stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom