• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arevin01

I tried to watch it more carefully and he claims his arm was stuck but if you paused at 3:16, he was grabbing onto the seatbelt by himself and could have let go any moment.

Opiate

I dont understand, how can he get run over if he is to the side of the car?

It's not as hard as you might think: he gets knocked over as the car moves away from him, he falls forward, the back wheels run over him.

Please note that I am not defending this officer more broadly: these seems like clear cut murder, based on the video. I'm just explaining that this particular component is not implausible.

I tried to watch it more carefully and he claims his arm was stuck but if you paused at 3:16, he was grabbing onto the seatbelt by himself and could have let go any moment.

Yes, that is one of the serious problems here. He also should not have had his gun out, period.

andymcc

Banned

adDeJv7.jpg

Mr. X

Good thing we have 2 videos of Tensing, otherwise one would think he's reasonable by those reports.

How much was a 15 year old shoplifting that they "needed" to arrest though? I work in retail and teenagers get caught shoplifting often.

old

Update: mistrial by jury deadlock.

How a jury can watch that video and not see murder is incomprehensible.

Edit: also came out in trial the officer was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt under his police uniform.

deli2000

I will keep on saying this, stuff like this will continue to happen and no one will care. It's horrifying on almost every conceivable level but here we are.

BowieZ

Banned
As someone involved in a jury deadlock before, let me just say that the notion of "beyond all reasonable doubt" is drilled into the jury like nothing else.

There are sometimes, naturally, a few jurors who don't have the gall to lock someone away for life on even the most fucking convincing as fuck evidence.

commedieu

Banned
As someone involved in a jury deadlock before, let me just say that the notion of "beyond all reasonable doubt" is drilled into the jury like nothing else.

There are sometimes, naturally, a few jurors who don't have the gall to lock someone away for life on even the most fucking convincing as fuck evidence.

Odd.

That hesitation isn't generally there when black people are on trial.

Wonder what gall accounts for.

commedieu

Banned
Everytime I see an update to these threads I already know what the update is going to say

I knew what the update was going to be based on OP. Last year.

Simple formula, cop executing a minority with a somewhat excuse/story + jury of "peers" = walk. 9 times out of 10.

Cop writes a mean email = fired.

We should start being emails...

Then people would notice we are being destroyed.

deli2000

And with Guliani 2 months from running the DOJ for at least 4 years, it is only going to get worse.

Moderates are going to pivot to rural voters concerns and minorities are going to be left in the dust. Because we're still on the bottom rung on all ends on the political spectrum. The glacial progress we've made is going to grind to a halt. It's the sad awful truth, death by apathy.

CHC

So it's a mistrial, but he's not acquitted? What would it take for this to be retried with a different jury?

Even if he never gets convicted, it would be good for this man to go through the most stress, anguish, and expense possible.

old

So it's a mistrial, but he's not acquitted? What would it take for this to be retried with a different jury?

Even if he never gets convicted, it would be good for this man to go through the most stress, anguish, and expense possible.

Prosecutor hasn't said if he'll retry yet. He's going to "look at the case again to see if a conviction can be attained."

A big criticism for a while was the possibility of over-charging. People felt murder was a little too much and didn't give the jury room work with. Activists even expressed they wanted some lesser charges thrown in too in case the murder charge failed, but the prosecutors didn't give the jury that luxury. It was murder or bust.

and motherfuckers still dare question BLM

Had a dumbass racist piece of shit tell me last week that BLM doesn't have a good reason to exist and is basically a hate group. I know for a fact that this video and mistrial wouldn't change his mind either. I'm really turning into a hateful person because of this bullshit. Full of rage that I don't know how to express. To top it off, I'm white and can't even grasp how POC must feel. I try to empathize, but because of my privilege I don't have to fear for my life when I get pulled over. It's all fucked.

commedieu

Banned
Had a dumbass racist piece of shit tell me last week that BLM doesn't have a good reason to exist and is basically a hate group. I know for a fact that this video and mistrial wouldn't change his mind either. I'm really turning into a hateful person because of this bullshit. Full of rage that I don't know how to express. To top it off, I'm white and can't even grasp how POC must feel. I try to empathize, but because of my privilege I don't have to fear for my life when I get pulled over. It's all fucked.

Just live your life man. Noting can be done about any of this.

There are positive things you can do. Groups like La Raza do youth leadership programs that empower the next generation. We need the current 16-24 year olds ready to get politically engaged. It isnt enough to march, they nees to get out there and vote for mayors, sherrifs, etc.

mephel

the cop is obviously guilty, the escalation was unnecessary (he should have used non-lethal method), but why the hell don't you immediately comply with officers orders

we don't have problems with guns in europe, but i wouldn't even think about not complying with whatever the officer told me, it just seems non-sensical from my point of view

you can raise complaint afterwards if you feel the officer harrased you

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Update: mistrial by jury deadlock.

How a jury can watch that video and not see murder is incomprehensible.

Edit: also came out in trial the officer was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt under his police uniform.

. . .

Zaph

the cop is obviously guilty, the escalation was unnecessary (he should have used non-lethal method), but why the hell don't you immediately comply with officers orders

we don't have problems with guns in europe, but i wouldn't even think about not complying with whatever the officer told me, it just seems non-sensical from my point of view

The point is, it doesn't matter. Innocent/guilty/scared/drugs whatever, doesn't fucking matter. The notion of not complying with police = death is horrifying.

Given the attempts to change the facts of what happened here and in many other places staying in the car is probably the safest place with no room for misunderstanding intent. Cops are above the law. Dead if you do. Dead if you don't.

We have seen people shot lying spread eagled on the ground because someone claims they saw them going for a gun. Now black people can't even sit in a car.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Huh.

First thread I click on in the morning, and I'm already done with GAF for the day. Will you look at that.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Feel free to piss up the highest and thickest of ropes in your future endeavours.

There are positive things you can do. Groups like La Raza do youth leadership programs that empower the next generation. We need the current 16-24 year olds ready to get politically engaged. It isnt enough to march, they nees to get out there and vote for mayors, sherrifs, etc.

I'll look into that, we definitely need to engage today's youths.

OK so that was my first time seeing the video and that is murder. The cop stopped him which is up to him. He clearly had no concerns over any firearms in the car and was happy to let the guy rummage through his pockets and glove compartment. He wasn't going to be dragged anywhere at any point and could have let go of the car but instead he has his gun out for some reason and just kills him. I can't believe he hasn't been found guilty of murder. Well I can but still what the hell.

You should have stuck to just talking about video games.

You sound like a sensible moderate.
There is nothing sensible about you.

HeySeuss

2903.02 Murder.
(A) No person shall purposely cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of another's pregnancy

This right here is why the jury deadlocked and it was declared a mistrial. Murder was the wrong charge.

Before you jump all over me let me explain. Yes he straight up killed that man. No there was no justification in doing so because the excuse that he thought he was going to get run over doesn't apply. The reason he wasn't convinced is because they had to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he PURPOSELY caused the death of the man. Now read the rest of what I'm saying because there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in shooting someone and purposely trying to kill someone.

Police officers aren't trained to shoot to kill. We are trained to shoot to stop the threat. So his defense can easily argue that he wasn't trying to kill the man, only to stop the threat of his misplaced fear that he was going to be run over. It sounds stupid and you may not agree, I get that. Killing someone due to shooting them to stop the threat happens, however killing them isn't the goal. The goal is to stop them from doing whatever action they are doing that makes a reasonable officer believe they are endangering the life of the officer or the lives of others.

The reason for the shooting, even though not a justifiable reason for shooting that man, doesn't change the fact that the murder charge isn't the right charge. He should have been charged with manslaughter. Also, there is no way he will receive qualified immunity so that he will actually be held liable civilly for the man's death.

Jesus Christ. I don't know how African Americans can stand living here when example after example of most of the population not giving a shit about them happens. You guys are far stronger than me, that's for damn sure.
Hell, even some of my family are part of the problem. "he wasn't no angel" and the like needs to stop. Fuck. How can you have a jury of your peers when half of them think you are less than them?

dabig2

This really has been a horrible week.

A horrible week, but in the end an enlightening one. For instance, I no longer have any questions or lingering doubts about what this country truly is. Before I was idealistic in that I believed progress was a straight arrow pointing in the positive direction, as small as that arrow might be at times. Now? LOL. I know not to waste my time with this country or the people inside it. And I know not to bother with or tolerate "moderates".

I honestly feel like a big weight has been lifted off me. So in that I thank the people of the USA for the choices they have made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom