• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keio

For a Finer World
Honestly thought the initial footage was disturbing. This? This is just too fucking clear..I don't even want to see it again. Agreed. Murder..
This is the first time that I'm seriously doubting going to the U.S. as a tourist again. I'm not too keen on getting shouted at and this thing... no, just no.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So. Honest question.

How many people expect him to be found guilty? I don't think he will be found guilty even of Manslaughter.

Xcellere

So. Honest question.

How many people expect him to be found guilty? I don't think he will be found guilty even of Manslaughter.

It's an unknown. There are enough potential jurors out there that could be shown irrefutable evidence like this and still not convict. All they have to hear is "I feared for my life" and all bets are off at that point.

I have no faith in the average American to make a rational decision, but they do surprise me from time to time.

geardo

I don't think this has been posted yet. Apparently the other cops on the scene aren't being charged: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-of-duboses-killing_55bbcd04e4b0b23e3ce2c9e2?

County Prosecutor Joe Deters says Kidd and Lindenschmidt arrived as Tensing reached into DuBose's car. Their official statements about what happened matched what was shown on Tensing's body camera, and neither officer said in official interviews that he saw Tensing being dragged, according to Deters.

I guess they knew Tensing was going down at that point and decided to bail on him.

So. Honest question.

It depends on how successful the defense is at stacking the jury with idiot racists. The video is pretty damning though. I don't think we'll see a repeat of the Zimmerman case, but I highly doubt Tensing gets life (which is what he deserves).

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Has a cop ever been convicted of murder for something they did in the capacity of a cop?
Recently? I don't think so.
In the past 20 years, at least 17 police officers in the United States have been charged with murder for their actions in line-of-duty shootings. None of these officers, though, was convicted of murder — and most weren’t convicted of anything, according to a Chronicle review.
http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/What-happens-to-police-officers-accused-of-murder-5840318.php

ReAxion

Perhaps the police are starting to witness a shift in tides? I know that I would be really mindful of when the blue line started to blur if I was a cop.

Like, I hope they're responding to everything that's happening, but I can't muster a whole lot of faith behind that idea, given, you know... everything that continues to happen.

Xcellere

And we STILL have people defending the cop?

The cop could have heartily chuckled a crass one-liner, put out a lit cigarette on the victim's forehead, blew his head off with a sawed-off shotgun, defecated on the still warm corpse, and people would still defend the cop. There are no limits for what Americans will defend LEOs from.

Guevara

I'll admit, I did not originally think bodycams would change much: I thought there'd be too much room for interpretation, and of course most jurisdiction can't or won't put cameras on everyone.

But here obviously the bodycam is the only and best witness.

akira28

The cop could have heartily chuckled a crass one-liner, put out a lit cigarette on the victim's forehead, blew his head off with a sawed-off shotgun, defecated on the still warm corpse, and people would still defend the cop. There are no limits for what Americans will defend LEOs from.

They are our honorable protectors and servants. The man was just doing his job, goddamnit!@!@$

you know...

shooting black dudes.

anyway, people will stand up for them with all the Facebook likes and small donations necessary. Doesn't even need to be a cop. Just a "legal minded" white man with a gun, defending justice.

dan2026

Holy smokes!

If this guy doesn't get life in prison the US legal system is literally fucked.

He just blew him away! This trial could be over in 5 minutes flat. How can you possibily dispute this?

Mass One

Holy smokes!

If this guy doesn't get life in prison the US legal system is literally fucked.

He just blew him away! This trial could be over in 5 minutes flat. How can you possibily dispute this?

You'll probably hear:
  • the car was moving.
  • He was fleeing, it was better to stop him then than have a police chase
  • the car was moving
  • He was being dragged.
  • the car was moving.
  • The police guy thought he saw a gun in the backseat seat and thought he was reaching.

This is just my opinion.
What I'm trying to say the car point will probably be the main focus during the trial. I think.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't think so. America is by and large really anti-smoking, so I can see the pitchforks coming out at that.

Zing

Banned
The stabilized video says it all. I can't believe someone agree to be the defense lawyer for this guy after watching the video. The victim has his one hand on the steering wheel and the other in the air. The cop reaches in for a second, aims the gun and shoots. All because of a license plate and that the victim didn't immediately remove his seat belt.

Why did the cop want him to take his seat belt off so badly! So he could drag the guy out and beat him on the ground?

zeshakag

The stabilized video says it all. I can't believe someone agree to be the defense lawyer for this guy after watching the video. The victim has his one hand on the steering wheel and the other in the air. The cop reaches in for a second, aims the gun and shoots. All because of a license plate and that the victim didn't immediately remove his seat belt.

Why did the cop want him to take his seat belt off so badly! So he could drag the guy out and beat him on the ground?

Well, I always thought that (and anybody with actual lawyer knowledge can chime in and call my bullshit) being a defense lawyer for extremely obvious situations like this is still a good thing, because it forces the court to have their shit together and the prosecutor still has to do his homework and build a conclusive case to sentence him. It's a process that shouldn't be thrown out for things even like this, because once that's broken this might affect actually innocent defendants who appear guilty at first glance.

Of course one could argue that this phenomenon happens a lot with corruption anyway, but it's the principle.

(IMO, upon reading his statements, the defense lawyer just seems like a dickbag who actually thinks what this guy did is ok.)

kirby_fox

Banned
So. Honest question.

In this area? They'll likely have enough jurors to convict on manslaughter I think. Murder will be a lot harder. There's a decent mix of political and ideological views here on both sides.

I honestly expect the case to end with a plea deal for Manslaughter and a chance at parole in so many years.

Driving down in that area, I realized how freaked out I would be now if a cop pulled me over down there. As a white guy who has never been pulled over before, and has met a lot of the Cincinnati PD officers who are very nice and courteous to me, I think I would still fear for my life in that situation.

geardo

Thats the weirdest thing about this incident to me - how quickly he was turned on.

Career before anything else. I guarantee that's what they were most worried about. They saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to jeopardize their pensions. The same mentality every careerist asshole has no matter what field they're in. God knows they wouldn't have done shit for jail time.

Omega

Banned
So. Honest question.

I do and he'll be made an example of.

If not then I don't see how all hell doesn't break loose. There's video evidence of a cop execution another human. If he gets off free they're basically saying it's legal to murder black people.

and then on top of that it would also say cops have free reign to execute. that shit isn't gonna fly. it can't

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh my god, just watched the slowed down and stablized video. The dude straight up executed him. He even put up his hands...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You'll probably hear:
  • the car was moving.
  • He was fleeing, it was better to stop him then than have a police chase
  • the car was moving
  • He was being dragged.
  • the car was moving.
  • The police guy thought he saw a gun in the backseat seat and thought he was reaching.

This is just my opinion.
What I'm trying to say the car point will probably be the main focus during the trial. I think.
If the car was moving that guy wouldn't have been able to line up a head shot. And if his life was in danger he shouldn't have been wasting time lining up a head shot. He has no case.

In this area? They'll likely have enough jurors to convict on manslaughter I think. Murder will be a lot harder. There's a decent mix of political and ideological views here on both sides.

I honestly expect the case to end with a plea deal for Manslaughter and a chance at parole in so many years.

Driving down in that area, I realized how freaked out I would be now if a cop pulled me over down there. As a white guy who has never been pulled over before, and has met a lot of the Cincinnati PD officers who are very nice and courteous to me, I think I would still fear for my life in that situation.

I've lived in Cincinnati for almost 30 years (11 years in Clifton where this happened) and I find this a little hyperbolic.

Because I'm white, though.

Tonight there was a protest march that rolled through Fountain Square after a while (the concert was temporarily suspended). I found it interesting how many people on Facebook were saying tensions were high. I was there, and didn't feel tense.

Seriously, though. Dozens and dozens of black people and white people. The four people wearing masks (three of them were wearing Guy Fawkes masks, and they were all white males), know this: You are silly douchebags. Fuck you.

To the rest of the protesters, I support you.

akira28

He has an agenda. His behavior shows that he should not be an officer. His prejudice prevents him from doing that job properly

Apparently the Justice Dept put out a warning that the US military and by extension the US police force have been infiltrated by white supremacist group members. 10 or so years ago they started organizing to join the military and after getting out a lot of them join the force and the government isn't sure what they're up to, but the've stated watch lists to weed out police force applicants with ties to people who are in racist organizations.

http://thegrio.com/2015/05/12/fbi-white-supremacists-law-enforcement/

Nelo Ice

Banned

As I posted earlier in this thread I saw first hand what people will defend. Needless to say it was absolutely disgusting.

Also that vid throws their stupid argument out the window and yet I think my friend's or should I say now acquaintance's family would still go through a tremendous amount of mental gymnastics to defend the cop :(. Like how I was also told people are guilty until proven innocent.

I thought you were going for "and a jury would still find them not guilty", but yes, you're right. Give Charles Manson a badge and he'd suddenly be an American hero or some shit. People would refer to his comments about a coming race war and say "finally, an officer not afraid to say what we're all thinking!"

Nafai1123

Banned
Damn that video of him pulling the two guys over for nothing really says of all. You can see on his face just how uncomfortable he is relinquishing any power whatsoever to a black man. Once again opening the car door without any warning or right (this time on the passenger side).

Seriously fuck this racist psychopathic piece of shit. Drop his ass in prison for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom