• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The image stablization does show the car was moving when this happened.

I'm not justifying or defending what happened at all. Please don't quote my post insinuating that I am.

Okay...well I've watched it a few times and cannot see any evidence that the car is moving before he is shot. Maybe I'm missing something?

So earlier in thread I saw that this murderer was bailed out by people donating money (for reasons that are very clear i.e. Got another thug off the street). Anyway my question is that bail is returned to you in full if you show up for court, but what happens with this crowd funded stuff? Is this cop going to come out of this with a cool million dollars? Maybe a little off topic, but I couldn't find anything about what happened in all these other cop cases that people donated toward their bail.

Z_Y

The image stablization does show the car was moving when this happened.

I'm not justifying or defending what happened at all. Please don't quote my post insinuating that I am.

I'm not seeing that as clearly as you are. Not being a smartass but what are you looking at to determine that? Genuinely asking.

Even if the car was moving it couldn't have been moving very fast because the cop was keeping up with him laterally. Also, he appears to fall straight back. If he was moving forward along with the car (being dragged) he would have rolled a bit, I would think.

edit: I see you answered above. It looks he was already shot before the car started rolling to me.

Squalor

Holy fuck, how did I miss the information that Tensing (murderer) and the other cop (complicit liar) were the same cops responsible for the death of a man Tensing tasered to death (while the other held him down) in 2010?

Of course, after verifying their reports, their superiors said they acted with "sound judgment," but that would have been the case here without the body cam.
So earlier in thread I saw that this murderer was bailed out by people donating money (for reasons that are very clear i.e. Got another thug off the street). Anyway my question is that bail is returned to you in full if you show up for court, but what happens with this crowd funded stuff? Is this cop going to come out of this with a cool million dollars? Maybe a little off topic, but I couldn't find anything about what happened to the bail in all these other cop cases that people donated toward their bail.
Let's get the facts straight: People said they would donate to his bail. They offered to donate. They may have even started some, but the one who bailed Tensing out was his own father, who mortgaged his own home to pay 10% of the million-dollar bail.

He will get his money back only after the whole thing is over. If Tensing is found guilty, the father will only get a percentage back.

Grym

The police car in the background shrinks and the reflections off of the car look like the car is rolling slowly as it happens

I dunno. Look at the truck in the driveway through the passenger window. It is there before and after the shot even through the cop perspective change while falling. IF he is moving during that 2 seconds (I think that is a big if because I don't see it), he hasn't rolled more than a couple feet at most before dying.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I dunno. Look at the truck in the driveway through the passenger window. It is there before and after the shot even through the cop perspective change while falling. IF he is moving during that 2 seconds (I think that is a big if because I don't see it), he hasn't rolled more than a couple feet at most before dying.
Yeah, it accelerates rapidly once he is shot, which is what causes the cop to fall

It looks like it slowly rolling for the couple seconds prior, to me at least.

Xcellere

Even if the car did start moving, the cop's body WAS NOT in the car when he drew his gun, so clearly the drawing of the gun was not related to the supposed fear of being dragged. Can we stop with this bullshit line of thought please?

Mass One

The police car in the background shrinks and the reflections off of the car look like the car is rolling slowly as it happens

So let's say the car did move when the struggle. So what? Was it malicious? I've Never been in a life or death struggle but I imagine I'll to ever thing my body will allow to escape. Can he be at fault for that? Surely you understand now that it was warranted because the dude did shoot him in the head.

Nope. Looked for what your talking about 5 times and I'm not seeing it. The cop doesn't lose his balance until after he shot the victim in the head. Unless he was wearing rollerblades I don't see how he glided along with a moving car while pinning the guy down and popping him in the head.

ReAxion

Coroner's findings:

66bTsQF.jpg

Left temple in, out the back right.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I have watched the video many many times now and I honestly think the cop ND'd (negligent discharge).

A few things.

Car had hardly moved before the shot went off.

Officer was in no way in a firing stance and had, in my opinion, every opportunity to take one if he was going to shoot...

...it would have made more sense for the officer to leave the vehicle, take a stance, and empty the magazine into the car.

There was NO way he had enough time to get his hand caught on anything in the vehicle that would result in a "dragging" situation.

How many times do cops only shoot once when deadly force is used?

Most people with firearms experience would really have to be in a no other choice situation to fire a weapon that close to their own face on purpose.

This is all conjecture of course.

I feel like the officer grabbed at something in the car and in the moment squeezed both hands in a sympathetic reaction to the situation.

To be clear, I am not defending the officer. If this was an ND and instead of owning up to it, he lied about it to cover it up and it is still murder in my opinion.

If he admitted to an ND, he is still incompetent and should have been dealt with in respect to that.

Either way now, he is a scum bag and a murderer given any circumstance.
If it was a negligent discharge, then it was a negligent discharge and he should be charged with negligent homicide under Ohio's laws. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2903.05

Lying about it afterwards doesn't somehow elevate the crime from negligent homicide to murder, because it doesn't change the intent of the officer at the time he pulled the trigger. However, lying in his report does most likely violate other laws dealing with filing false reports and/or obstructing justice.

So if you're taking the position that it was a negligent discharge, you can't also take the position that the guy is a murderer. They're incompatible points of view.

Images for discussion

Officer approaches car. Pay attention to the car parked in the driveway in the background for reference of possible forward movement. To be clear, ANY forward movement is no cause for lethal force and the officer should have never put hands inside the car at all.

ZfphiXe.png

Hands up, right before the shot.

gq0F8Fn.png

Right after the shot, hands down, head recoiling.

ptIlpZT.png

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Well, that should put the little doubt to rest. But it won't unfortunately. Definitely not a negligent discharge.

They should review every single case this "cop" has ever been a part of.

Edit: From the pics, either the camera moved or the car moved. I'm thinking it was the camera.

Images for discussion

Office approaches car. Pay attention to the car parked in the driveway in the background for reference of possible forward movement. To be clear, ANY forward movement is no cause for lethal force and the officer should have never put hands inside the car at all.

ZfphiXe.png

Hands up, right before the shot.

gq0F8Fn.png

Right after the shot, hands down, head recoiling.

ptIlpZT.png
From where I'm sitting my view of the driveway over the road, through the window, is completely blocked by a curtain. Whithout moving my body, I can tilt my head 45 degrees and I have a full view of the driveway and the 2 cars parked on it.

The cop went out of his way to get a clear shot at the guy's head. Absolutely no way it could be argued as an accident or unintentional. It was clear intent to murder.

mre

CNN says he was charged with Murder and Manslaughter. What level of Murder did they charge him with, or does Ohio not do that? Also, can you be found guilty of both Murder and Manslaughter, or is it likely the jury chooses one at the trial?
Ohio has Aggravated Murder, Murder, Voluntary Manslaughter and Involuntary Manslaughter: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2903 If I had to guess, he was charged with Murder and Voluntary Manslaughter, based upon their definitions in the code.

You cannot be convicted of both murder and manslaughter for the same homicide, as the intent element of each is different. Murder, here, is purposely causing the death of another without immediate provocation, while voluntary manslaughter is knowingly causing the death of another "while under the influence of sudden passion or in a sudden fit of rage, either of which is brought on by serious provocation occasioned by the victim that is reasonably sufficient to incite the person into using deadly force." With voluntary manslaughter, the severity of the offense is lessened because the perpetrator's actions were incited in some way by the victim. With murder, however, there is provocation to mitigate the perpetrator's actions. So, in Ohio, you either have provocation, and it's voluntary manslaughter, or you don't, and it's murder. You can't have it both ways.

Now the State can charge both murder and manslaughter and it can try to prove both in its case, but the jury can only convict on one.

saxman717

Banned
If it was a negligent discharge, then it was a negligent discharge and he should be charged with negligent homicide under Ohio's laws. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2903.05

Lying about it afterwards doesn't somehow elevate the crime from negligent homicide to murder, because it doesn't change the intent of the officer at the time he pulled the trigger. However, lying in his report does most likely violate other laws dealing with filing false reports and/or obstructing justice.

So if you're taking the position that it was a negligent discharge, you can't also take the position that the guy is a murderer. They're incompatible points of view.

Interesting and sad.....this is the first time I've read anything about negligent discharge being a possibility, mainly because the officer's report failed to indicate this.

This very well could have been the case.

The one thing we know as 100% fact is that the officer's report is BS ---- he was not in danger and was not justified in pulling the gun, let alone pulling the trigger.

The guy is either a cold-blooded murderer or an incompetent fool. Either way, he needs to be locked up, either for flat out murder or negligent homicide.

So tragic for both parties if it really was an accidental discharge. The officer might have had a fighting chance at a little legitimate public support if he had owned up to it as such (or lied about it, if he had willingly pulled the trigger) in the initial police report. As it stands, he is either a lying fool or a psychotic murderer.

Grym

Images for discussion

Could easily be a slight perspective change/shift (the perspective seems more forward and a tad bit right - in order to reach in with the gun). But it could also easily be the car began a roll forward of a foot or two.

In my mind, neither scenario changes the fact that a gun shouldn't have been drawn. And the cop's story about being dragged and shooting over a fear of being run over remains bullshit

mre

Interesting and sad.....this is the first time I've read anything about negligent discharge being a possibility, mainly because the officer's report failed to indicate this.

This very well could have been the case.

The one thing we know as 100% fact is that the officer's report is BS ---- he was not in danger and was not justified in pulling the gun, let alone pulling the trigger.

The guy is either a cold-blooded murderer or an incompetent fool. Either way, he needs to be locked up, either for flat out murder or negligent homicide.

So tragic for both parties if it really was an accidental discharge. The officer might have had a fighting chance at a little legitimate public support if he had owned up to it as such (or lied about it, if he had willingly pulled the trigger) in the initial police report. As it stands, he is either a lying fool or a psychotic murderer.
For the record and before I get jumped on by others, I wasn't saying it was negligent discharge. I was merely responding to the guy that said he thought it was negligent discharge, but that he also felt the guy was a murderer.

Though I do agree with you, that negligent discharge was the best defense that this guy could have made for himself, knowing he was wearing a body cam. Instead, he decided to compound his actions by making up a lie about being dragged and being in fear of his life.

Would make a sarcastic remark regarding the apologists and people who strong arm the bottle/ID arguments, but that video was too horrid for that.

That's just fucking disgusting. I hope this dude gets life no parole.

Could easily be a slight perspective change/shift (the perspective seems more forward and a tad bit right - in order to reach in with the gun). But it could also easily be the car began a roll forward of a foot or two.

In my mind, neither scenario changes the fact that a gun shouldn't have been drawn. And the cop's story about being dragged and shooting over a fear of being run over remains bullshit
Agreed.

riotous

Banned

And neither scenario makes sense to shoot the guy.

What does shooting a guy in the head who is allegedly flooring a vehicle really accomplish? How would it stop you from getting pulled under?

(note: I do not believe he was flooring it, even if the car was moving you'd hear audio of him flooring it)

Beefy

Just the images posted are fucked up, no way do I want to see the video. The cop needs to get life . He just straight up killed a guy.

Holy shit at the image stabilized version. He is holding DuBose to get a better shot at him. His actions to murder him could not be any more clear. He shot a man in the face for no fucking reason. Disgusting.

That may be the case in the eyes of the law, but if you are going to accidentally kill someone and lie about it, then you might as well have just intended to kill in the first place in my opinion. I label him as a murderer in this case whether or not the law does.

So yes, in my eyes, in either case he is a murderer. Whether or not the law agrees with that is moot. It is how I personally view the situation.

Do you consider George Zimmerman a murderer despite what the law said? I do.

ReAxion

Assuming the car is rolling before the shot is fired, the cop being dragged before a shot is fired is impossible, given the coroner's report on the trajectory of the bullet.

saxman717

Banned
The officer grabbed his seat belt to stabilize and line up his shot.

Yes, either that or he was grabbing the seatbelt to force compliance while pulling his gun (stupidly) and reflexively/accidentally pulled the trigger.

The realtime version really is most easily explained by negligent discharge. He should still get pegged for homicide. Having never even considered accidental discharge before a few minutes ago, however, it really is what makes the most sense after watching the entire thing. It especially explains how it just all escalated so rapidly and was over so quickly.

EDIT: I think we all should stop talking about whether the car was moving and the officer was being dragged. It clearly was moving very little, if at all, and was not a threat to the officer (or even a legitimate perceived threat).

The question should really be how likely is it that this was a negligent discharge vs. a premeditated, cold-blooded murder.

riotous

Banned
I'm having a really hard time believing this was negligent discharge with slowed down video or screen caps.

He stabilizes himself, points the gun at the guys face and fires.

He had to awkwardly twist his wrist the opposite position he'd want it in if he was merely flailing and grabbing and not thinking about the gun in his hand.

atr0cious

Some people in this thread are disgustingly obtuse.

Nah, I think it's part that phenomenon talked about where blacks have to know every letter of the law, while whites who've never really had to stress it, don't. Pretty sure cops prey on that as well.

Yes, either that or he was grabbing the seatbelt to force compliance while pulling his gun (stupidly) and reflexively/accidentally pulled the trigger.

The realtime version really is most easily explained by negligent discharge. He should still get pegged for homicide. Having never even considered accidental discharge before a few minutes ago, however, it really is what makes the most sense after watching the entire thing. It especially explains how it just all escalated so rapidly and was over so quickly.

Re-watch the stabilized version at .25 speed on youtube. He positions both himself and DuBose to get a shot. The gun doesn't fire until he aimed it at his head. If his arm or the gun was at an odd angle, maybe I could entertain accidental discharge, but everything about it screams intent to me.

Edit: You can even see him raise his arm to get a better angle on the shot.

heyf00L

The car was moving, I can see that now, but that doesn't change that the right thing to do is let him drive off. Don't reach in the car, don't grab the man, don't pull your gun, don't shoot him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom