• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
That may be the case in the eyes of the law, but if you are going to accidentally kill someone and lie about it, then you might as well have just intended to kill in the first place in my opinion. I label him as a murderer in this case whether or not the law does.

So yes, in my eyes, in either case he is a murderer. Whether or not the law agrees with that is moot. It is how I personally view the situation.

Do you consider George Zimmerman a murderer despite what the law said? I do.
How is the Zimmerman's situation remotely the same? Here, we're talking about what you said, not what the "law" said. What you said was, essentially, "he didn't murder the victim, but he's still a murderer." Those statements are not consistent at all. With Zimmerman, you can say, "he was acquitted in court, but I still think he's a murderer," and both statements are consistent with each other. Now, if you believe (1) that Zimmerman did not purposefully kill Trayvon Martin, (2) but you still think he's a murderer, then, well, I don't know what to tell you.

I have watched the video many many times now and I honestly think the cop ND'd (negligent discharge).

A few things.

Car had hardly moved before the shot went off.

Officer was in no way in a firing stance and had, in my opinion, every opportunity to take one if he was going to shoot...

...it would have made more sense for the officer to leave the vehicle, take a stance, and empty the magazine into the car.

There was NO way he had enough time to get his hand caught on anything in the vehicle that would result in a "dragging" situation.

How many times do cops only shoot once when deadly force is used?

Most people with firearms experience would really have to be in a no other choice situation to fire a weapon that close to their own face on purpose.

This is all conjecture of course.

I feel like the officer grabbed at something in the car and in the moment squeezed both hands in a sympathetic reaction to the situation.

To be clear, I am not defending the officer. If this was an ND and instead of owning up to it, he lied about it to cover it up and it is still murder in my opinion.

If he admitted to an ND, he is still incompetent and should have been dealt with in respect to that.

Either way now, he is a scum bag and a murderer given any circumstance.

The cops actions in the video just do not mesh remotely with 'accidentally squeezing the trigger'.

If I was a movie director and I told an actor "....and then I want you to take hold of the guy like this, and then BAM! Pop him in the head like he's nothing."

This is exactly what I'd be looking for.

lenovox1

The question should really be how likely is it that this was a negligent discharge vs. a premeditated, cold-blooded murder.

Only a thought exercise and not necessarily pertinent to this case. The DA didn't charge him with negligent homicide and neither he nor his counsel have argued that the gun went off mistakenly. Whatever he did, the position is that he did it intentionally.

The important question in this case seems to be whether the cop was "provoked" or put in a position to use a deadly weapon. That would mean him skating by with voluntary manslaughter (or nothing) instead of murder.

saxman717

Banned
Re-watch the stabilized version at .25 speed on youtube. He positions both himself and DuBose to get a shot. The gun doesn't fire until he aim it at his head. If his arm or the gun was at an odd angle, maybe I could entertain accidental discharge, but everything about it screams intent to me.

Edit: You can even see him raise his arm to get a better angle on the shot.

Yeah, I've watched it a whole bunch of times. On the last page, I even posted "Holy F, he just held him down and executed him".

But then the idea of accidental discharge was brought to my attention. Then I watched the realtime, with sound, version again. The slo-mo stabilized version shows how the shot happened ---- how he actually managed to hit the guy with 1 shot.

The realtime version shows exactly how fast everything happened.

IMO, the way it went down was:

1) The cop unreasonably reached in the car to try to get the guy's seatbelt off and get him out of the car.

2) It freaked the driver out and he put the car in drive

3) The cop, upon witnessing this, held firm to the seatbelt and whipped out him gun (stupidly) and went to point it directly at him as a major overreaching threat of lethal force if the guy didn't comply.

4) Within fractions of a second of threatening the driver with the gun, the gun fires and hits the driver.

It was fractions of a second between steps 3 and 4 ---- it was so fast, and the cop was approaching the situation so reasonably up until that point, that I highly doubt that the cop purposefully executed the driver.

What he did do was cowardly lie about the circumstance afterwards, so he should be held accountable for both that and for involuntary manslaughter.

It's still an outrage and warrants serious reform in weapons training and rules of engagement for police officers nationwide.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Re-watch the stabilized version at .25 speed on youtube. He positions both himself and DuBose to get a shot. The gun doesn't fire until he aimed it at his head. If his arm or the gun was at an odd angle, maybe I could entertain accidental discharge, but everything about it screams intent to me.

Edit: You can even see him raise his arm to get a better angle on the shot.
He never claimed it accidentally went off, so why would you entertain that?

The car was moving, I can see that now, but that doesn't change that the right thing to do is let him drive off. Don't reach in the car, don't grab the man, don't pull your gun, don't shoot him.
If it was moving, which those screencaps seem to show that it did move forward a couple feet before the shot, then that means the cop moved with the car and was still able to headshot the guy. He was in control of his body and was not going to be dragged. He maintained his hold on the seat belt and kept up with the car in order to make the shot.

saxman717

Banned
Only a thought exercise and not necessarily pertinent to this case. The DA didn't charge him with negligent homicide and neither he nor his counsel have argued that the gun went off mistakenly. Whatever he did, the position is that he did it intentionally.

The important question in this case seems to be whether the cop was "provoked" or put in a position to use a deadly weapon. That would mean him skating by with voluntary manslaughter (or nothing) instead of murder.

True, and the cop is faced with this charge because of the probable lies that he told in his report.

IMO, it was negligent discharge and the cop could have avoided a murder charge trial if he had told the truth in his report and manned up to an involuntary manslaughter charge.

As it stands, the liar is probably seriously effed, because there is no way he was provoked or put in a position to use a deadly weapon.

He never claimed it accidentally went off, so why would you entertain that?

Because the cop clearly lied in his initial report about being dragged and in fear of his life. That, coupled with how fast everything escalated, and how fast the shot came after pulling the gun, and how out-of-position the cop was for taking a normal shot etc.

heyf00L

If it was moving, which those screencaps seem to show that it did move forward a couple feet before the shot, then that means the cop moved with the car and was still able to headshot the guy. He was in control of his body and was not going to be dragged. He maintained his hold on the seat belt and kept up with the car in order to make the shot.

Yeah. There's no way he was being dragged. What could possibly have been holding him? DuBose's hands are in the air.

True, and the cop is faced with this charge because of the probable lies that he told in his report.

IMO, it was negligent discharge and the cop could have avoided a murder charge trial if he had told the truth in his report and manned up to an involuntary manslaughter charge.

As it stands, the liar is probably seriously effed, because there is no way he was provoked or put in a position to use a deadly weapon.
Man, it really sucks for this cop that you guys weren't on hand to remind him how the "truth" actually went down.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Because the cop clearly lied in his initial report about being dragged and in fear of his life. That, coupled with how fast everything escalated, and how fast the shot came after pulling the gun, and how out-of-position the cop was for taking a normal shot etc.

"My bad guys I accidentally just murdered this guy."

"No, worries man. It was just a ND it doesn't really count. Plus he had an aggressive sitting stance so who knows what he could have done."

Thats what I get from your post.

BobLoblaw

Banned

You're going through a lot of mental gymnastics to try to somehow justify how this could've been an accident. It wasn't. He pulled his gun out and shot the guy within seconds of the guy starting his car. He held the guy, pointed the gun at his head, and pulled the trigger. Do you think all cops should be able to pull out their guns and point it at someone's head if they start their car? Fact is it wasn't an accident. You don't stick you arm in someone's car, grab them, hold them in place, and then squeeze the trigger on your gun. That was intentional.

GhaleonEB

We have very clear video of the cop drawing his gun, holding the driver back, lining up a shot at his face, and firing. The cop says it was intentional (for obviously false reasons, due to said video). There is no reasonable argument or basis for this being "negligent discharge".

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
We have very clear video of the cop drawing his gun, holding the driver back, lining up a shot at his face, and firing. The cop says it was intentional (for obviously false reasons, due to said video). There is no reasonable argument or basis for this being "negligent discharge".
Black people just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American Police culture (I'm an expert), but guns and stereotypes are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Europe where you can be Black and not get shot. If you have an agressive stance around the Police, you're asking for a bullet to your head, and the only way not to get shot is to not be driving in the first place.

What this means is the American Police, after hearing about this, theybare going to be pissed are not going to abide by proper procedures when pulling over a black man.. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but black people have put the entire American Police force against them.

Black people publicly apologize for having aggressive looks and doing suspicious things or never see Equality again.

I hope this wasn't in poor taste

This is basically how some people in this thread and a ton in real life act.

ReAxion

It looks like he stayed ahead of the car, too, as opposed to just being even. Enough steps ahead to fire a shot that entered DuBose's head from the left temple and exited to the right rear of his scalp.

Yes, either that or he was grabbing the seatbelt to force compliance while pulling his gun (stupidly) and reflexively/accidentally pulled the trigger.

The realtime version really is most easily explained by negligent discharge. He should still get pegged for homicide. Having never even considered accidental discharge before a few minutes ago, however, it really is what makes the most sense after watching the entire thing. It especially explains how it just all escalated so rapidly and was over so quickly.

EDIT: I think we all should stop talking about whether the car was moving and the officer was being dragged. It clearly was moving very little, if at all, and was not a threat to the officer (or even a legitimate perceived threat).

The question should really be how likely is it that this was a negligent discharge vs. a premeditated, cold-blooded murder.

No. It was cold blooded intentional murder.

Redd

Just saw the video. Damn just because he didn't want to get out of the car that's no reason to shoot him. I'm guessing after he got fatally shot his foot hit the gas pedal. Yeah that looks like murder to me.

Real Hero

guy is either a terrified little pussy or a sick fuck who was salivating at the thought of getting the chance to kill someone and get away with it

Grym

Can't believe the other two cops weren't charged with anything. If we didn't have the body cam footage shit would've been covered up.

Did the other cops have bodycams too? I haven't seen video of what they saw (or what they said in the report either to be honest). Did they cover for him or just not see what happened?

LiK

Did the other cops have bodycams too? I haven't seen video of what they saw (or what they said in the report either to be honest). Did they cover for him or just not see what happened?

they all did. they released footage from their cams to show what Tensing said when they asked him what happened.

Tripolygon

Banned
The bullet entered from left front and came out right back. I am in no way a forensic expert but that is not consistent with the narrative that the car was moving or moved a couple of feet before the shot. For that to have happened, he would have to be moving ahead of the driver side window and not dragged behind as he first claimed.

Like right here. His arm is inside the driver side window, not touching any frame of the car, if the car was moving at any reasonable speed before the shot, it would have hit his arm out the way.

ptIlpZT.png

James

Here is an img of his last moments from the new video.

czFxibD.png

He is clearly holding both his hands up while the officer is pointing a gun at his head. The car is not moving at this time.

Squalor

Tensing (murderer) and the other cop (complicit liar) were the same cops responsible for the death of a man Tensing tasered to death (while the other held him down) in 2010.

Of course, after verifying their reports, their superiors said they acted with "sound judgment," but that would have been the case here without the body cam.
He is clearly holding both his hands up while the officer is pointing a gun at his head. The car is not moving at this time.
There's no point to care about that. The cop reached into his car well before there was any movement.

In the scuffle, maybe the car started to move. Maybe it didn't. While he had a fucking gun pointed at him, maybe the car started to move. Maybe it didn't.

The murderer wasn't dragged. The murderer was never in any danger.

Arkeband

Banned
Remember the first media reports that made sure it made special note of how the officer scuffed his fucking pants?

So did he go and crawl around on his hands and knees to further fake evidence?

Did this get posted in the thread? Sorry for the buzzfeed link.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnash...f-a-tense-2014-traffic-stop-with-a#.ai5LOB4r0

Link description: Aside from Tensing being involved with tasing someone to death in 2010, he's caught on tape here being a total dickhead to some black citizens in 2014 and exhibited similar (not legal) behavior.

James

In the scuffle, maybe the car started to move. Maybe it didn't. While he had a fucking gun pointed at him, maybe the car started to move. Maybe it didn't.

The murderer wasn't dragged. The murderer was never in any danger.

Well, I think you are right. But this is an important argument against those that say he was threatened by the driver starting the car.

What I am saying is that there is no defense, and all arguments for the officer are incorrect.

zewone

It was obvious this cop was having a power trip when Dubose didn't comply when he asked him to get out of the car.

He was so upset he questioned him, he lost himself in the moment and shot him in the head.

I'm sure immediately afterwards he knew he fucked up.

I hope the prosecution can use a stabilized, slowed down video to show how this man was executed for not complying with a campus cops request.

James

It was obvious this cop was having a power trip when Dubose didn't comply when he asked him to get out of the car.

He was so upset he questioned him, he lost himself in the moment and shot him in the head.

I'm sure immediately afterwards he knew he fucked up.

I hope the prosecution can use a stabilized, slowed down video to show how this man was executed for not complying with a campus cops request.

Whats impotent to note is that the officer didn't even ask him to leave the car. He just asked him to take off his seat belt.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
What would happen if he gets found "innocent" in court? Or something rediculous like manslaughter 1 (weakest)?

My city will burn and maybe justifiably so. There has been a very long and rooted history of police brutality here just like almost all other big cities. If this guy walks it will be the straw that snaps the camels back so to speak. I know I will be outraged and joining in on whatever kind of civil protests I can. I will likely head down this weekend to see if there are any civil protests I can co-sign.

Fuchsdh

I'm having a really hard time believing this was negligent discharge with slowed down video or screen caps.

He stabilizes himself, points the gun at the guys face and fires.

He had to awkwardly twist his wrist the opposite position he'd want it in if he was merely flailing and grabbing and not thinking about the gun in his hand.

It's still entirely possible that it was negligent discharge, and he was just an idiot for bringing the gun to bear to threaten the victim to comply like he was in an action film. Considering he wasn't following policy or common sense drawing his gun in the first place, that's just one more additional dumb idea that helped precipitate this entire fiasco.

Given that the state statues for murder don't excuse competency, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference at least insofar as this guy can defend his actions.

GhaleonEB

It's still entirely possible that it was negligent discharge, and he was just an idiot for bringing the gun to bear to threaten the victim to comply like he was in an action film. Considering he wasn't following policy or common sense drawing his gun in the first place, that's just one more additional dumb idea that helped precipitate this entire fiasco.

Given that the state statues for murder don't excuse competency, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference at least insofar as this guy can defend his actions.
Neither the cop nor his lawyer are making this argument. They say he shot deliberately because he "feared his life" (somehow). The video shows in great clarity how he took aim and then adjusted his aim to get a better shot at the driver's face. Why are you making this argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom