• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
ok, so ive been playing this game since a few days..
Someone please explain me traffic.

i mean, i dont understand it. I have a few high traffic routes which i upgraded to 6 lane one way streets, but these stupid shits still clog up one lane and dont use all the others.. I dont know what to do, the AI is just to dumb..
Also, there are a few places where sometimes the jam is so long that it reaches far into the highway, and when i look at the same spot later, theres barely any traffic.. How shouldhandle that?
Also, i dont understand why noone is using my train? The use subway fine, they use bus fine (although it could be more), the use the airport fine but barely anyone is riding the train, although it conntects all major areas of the city and has direct or near direct access to subway and bus lines.

traffic is the one true enemy in this game.

Steiner84

ok, i have read through soem posts here and traffic++ gets mentioned quite a few times.
How good is it and what exactly does it do?
Do i just have more options, or will the mod improve traffic by itself? Like telling the cims to actually use middle lanes...

also, why is there nothing between 2 lane and 6 lane one way roads? This seems to be a huge huge oversight at first, but seeing the game out for so long and theyre still not available makes me thuink its intentional. but why?

also, is it usefull to have cargo train stations in high density commercial zones? so far ive only built them in my industrial areas.

Crispy75

ok, so ive been playing this game since a few days..
Someone please explain me traffic.

i mean, i dont understand it. I have a few high traffic routes which i upgraded to 6 lane one way streets, but these stupid shits still clog up one lane and dont use all the others.. I dont know what to do, the AI is just to dumb..

F8eKjp5.jpg

Also, i dont understand why noone is using my train? The use subway fine, they use bus fine (although it could be more), the use the airport fine but barely anyone is riding the train, although it conntects all major areas of the city and has direct or near direct access to subway and bus lines.

Could we see some pics of your network in the Transit view?

also, is it usefull to have cargo train stations in high density commercial zones? so far ive only built them in my industrial areas.
Yes, absolutely. Cargo trains are a direct replacement for cargo trucks. Commercial areas consume cargo, so by putting a cargo station next to Commercial, you cut down on the amount of trucks on the rest of your roads.

Steiner84

F8eKjp5.jpg

Could we see some pics of your network in the Transit view?

Yes, absolutely. Cargo trains are a direct replacement for cargo trucks. Commercial areas consume cargo, so by putting a cargo station next to Commercial, you cut down on the amount of trucks on the rest of your roads.

ok, wow. The picture is godsend, and so is the linked video in this post. I will make high use of lane management with this mod!

I will make a picture of my transit network later today (at work currently). But I need to redesign all my bus and subway routes also. I actually dont really now the routes anymore, there are just too many. Ive also realized that one of my main high traffic roundabouts got clogged by busses (i actually tried to counter the trafiic with more busses and free public transportation in that area but that made the problem even worse because then there were the same amount of cars plus even more busses). I will redo every line from scratch and focus on smaller lines that dont cross the high traffic routes.

Also didnt realize that cargo stations ( i have at least one in each industrial area) will transport to commercial too if they have the chance. Somehow i was under the impression that they are for import export only.

but this lane management and priority sign mod will be godlike.

Crispy75

That traffic pic is of the default behaviour, without mods.

Basically, road width does not equal capacity. It's better to think of it as a "more destinations". If you have a 6-way fork, feed it with a six lane road and all the lanes should get used.

(Are we getting 4-lane one-ways in After Dark btw?)

Steiner84

you know what this game would profit from immensly would be a planning mode.
where you can lay down roads and structures in a silouette and redo and replan them until you satisfied with how all the intersections will turn out and then you hit execute and it will all be build.

Kabouter

where you can lay down roads and structures in a silouette and redo and replan them until you satisfied with how all the intersections will turn out and then you hit execute and it will all be build.

Oh yeah, for sure. Especially if you can plan it out long in advance when you're starting out your city :p

Steiner84

Oh yeah, for sure. Especially if you can plan it out long in advance when you're starting out your city :p

i dont mean the entire city.
you could of course only plan one project at a time. you couldnt execute parts of it. its just stupid to waste so much money because you have to redo streets and intersections many times until the look like you want them to look. a preview, or planning mode would help immensly.
it would also be more realistic. i dont see IRL streets get built many times until they are like the planners wanted them to be.

spiritfox

A planning mode like what Citybound (whenever it's coming) has planned would be good for the game. Too often I have to waste money building and bulldozing because the roads just to fit right.

Kabouter

i dont mean the entire city.
you could of course only plan one project at a time. you couldnt execute parts of it. its just stupid to waste so much money because you have to redo streets and intersections many times until the look like you want them to look. a preview, or planning mode would help immensly.
it would also be more realistic. i dont see IRL streets get built many times until they are like the planners wanted them to be.

Well, I want both. I would love it if I could draw a layout for how I envision the larger city to eventually turn out and then gradually actually build that as my city grows :p (And I can afford it)

Logistically, couldn't you make it a special type of road? Set max speed for 0 mph, so it doesn't get used by the traffic AI, and have cost be 0 as well. Then just upgrade it when you're ready to expand.

Steiner84

Well, I want both. I would love it if I could draw a layout for how I envision the larger city to eventually turn out and then gradually actually build that as my city grows :p (And I can afford it)

yeah that would be cool too but it should then be two seperate modes.

Linius

I haven't played this game in ages. But this new patch will get me back in. It looks awesome. And I'm sure I missed tons of cool skins and other patches in the mean time. This game will feel like new again.

spiritfox

Cities: Skyline FPS Multiplayer Update 2
Steam Workshop
Reddit thread

TLDR: You can now run around in your city with your friends.

Just to make it clear, because there was some confusion last time I posted here. This mod allows you to run around in a city with other people, this does not let you play the normal game with other people.

For those wondering how it looks here is a video. This is a pretty old video but it shows how it looks in-game. For a while now with my free time I have been working on a first person multiplayer mod for Cities: Skylines, and it's finally far enough to allow people to start using it. It took me much longer to get it released then what I first thought because it got delayed quite a lot because of real life problems. It's still in really early stages so expect bugs and some lack of polish. You can download the mod from the workshop here.

Hosting
How it works is that you start a server on a workshop save, either one you have uploaded yourself or that you have downloaded. Player who connect then gets a prompt to download the map from the workshop. You can still use other mods with this mod, but most mods require having the mod running on the server and on the clients. For now there is no way to force the clients to download the required mods for the server, so if you wanna play with mods keep it to private servers for now. A fix for this is currently on high priority so you can enjoy mods to the fullest. For other people to be able to join you, you might need to port forward.

Modding
This mod has modding support which allows modders to easily access the networking functions, and do things like sync objects positions. So mods like having airplanes and helicopters with multiplayer is possible with this. Visit the project on github. Tutorial and documentation soon to come. The code is open source and I gladly accept push requests.

This mod is still in a early state, so some core features are missing. I'm gonna continue working on this mod making it better and fixing bugs. If you have any suggestions or found a bug you can either post a comment on the workshop page, or leave a comment on my trello.
If you wanna follow the updates you can either check /r/skylinesmultiplayer/ or follow me on twitter.

Copons

Is anyone aware of some kind of issue Traffic++ has when saving?

Since I've fresh-installed Win10 (last Friday) I've basically had a crash every couple of saves (both auto and manual) and when I gave a look at the error log, apparently the game crashes just after T++ tries to save its stuff (for the second time in a row, which led me to think it fails the first attempt and crashes at the second).

It doesn't seem to spike the memory usage, though (I don't use that many mods), and when it crashes it's always around 50-60%.

I didn't have the chance to try disabling T++, or replacing with Traffic Manager for that matter, but who knows, maybe someone here has an answer anyway...

EDIT: dang, it really was T++...
Disabled it and played almost a couple of hours without a single hiccup. :/

Oh, it's coming out this Thursday? I've gotta stop trying to S-rank MGSV missions and finish the damn game.
I haven't even been doing that, just going around grinding with side missions, raiding bases and check points for soldiers, resources and other junk, I've put way too many hours in MGSV and I still need to do mission 21, just did 22 a couple days ago.
Man it's such a chore designing metro maps for imaginary cities.

XUK33Pz.jpg
:3

I really should simplify me transit, I have far too many stops, bad habit I've had ever since the first SimCity.

Jintor

Can't wait for the Cities Skyline Mother Base mod

I... might bite immediately on this, if I can finish Zetsubou Girls by then

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Nice, if you can point us towards some nice vids that would be great. (or whatever, 24th is soon)

Quill18 has a couple videos up of After Dark pre-release play already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8qIv-ysX6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7V5LqxtiaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h1vbq-FtQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6MO_zbFIDI

Looks great so far! This weekend just got earmarked for me, luckily the girlfriend has to work all weekend. I'll miss her!!!!! :D

Copons

I really should simplify me transit, I have far too many stops, bad habit I've had ever since the first SimCity.

I dare to say I refined the amount of stops for trains and metro only after 100+ hours of countless tries of cities.
At first, my metro system was absurdly crowded with stops, and metro lines were basically underground bus lines.
But, after lots of thought and plenty of studying how real cities handle subways, I guess this time I'm spot on.

One thing I noticed is how I subconsciously tried to "fix" my own real-life city (Rome) crappy metro, with too few lines and fairly sparse stops, adding way more lines and stops than needed.
Looking to London or NYC metro maps, instead, made me realize that they (usually) have a stops-crowded city center but they get far and far away going towards the outskirts. It's completely obvious and it does make a lot of sense. In C:S you don't/can't have a proper city center (as in: the place most people and tourists go, unless you plop down all your monuments in the same area hi-commercial district :D ), but you still can just assume that a district is the city center and build lots of stops there, just for fun.

Talking about stops: I've yet to understand what would be the optimal distance between bus stops.
They conveniently snap on blocks, and I usually go with 2 or three "snaps" between stops (like: STOP-empty-STOP, or STOP-empty-empty-STOP), because somehow it makes sense to me.
At the same time, I think that, even though it increase the neighborhood happiness, the STOP-empty-STOP distance is simply too short to be effective.

Pinkuss

Anywhere this can be pre-ordered? Was going to dip in to Cities tonight but may as well Sunday/Monday when will be recovering for weekend shenanigans and have (hopefully) a couple of days off work.

Copons

Anywhere this can be pre-ordered? Was going to dip in to Cities tonight but may as well Sunday/Monday when will be recovering for weekend shenanigans and have (hopefully) a couple of days off work.
They said no preorder. :(

Would like at least to know the release time though...

spiritfox

After Dark 1.2.0

Paid content | After Dark Expansion

Plenty of props and buildings added
After dark menu music
Loading image variation support
New Loading screens
District toolbar has been split to 3 tabs: Paint, Industrial specializations and Commercial specializations
Economy panel shows specializations in the income and tooltips
Economy panel shows taxi
Unlocking panel shows new commercial specializations
Crime info view has a jail availability, prisoners and capacity
Prisoners added
Commercial specializations added: Leisure and Beach
Leisure and Beach assets added
Unlocking requirements for specializations and new buildings
New policies added
New Steam achievements added
District panel now shows both industrial and commercial specialization
Menu logo shows after dark for DLC owners
Prisons added
Police cars collect criminals
Police vans transport criminals to prisons
Taxis added to info view legend
New strings added, for example bicycles now have a correct info panel
International airport added
Cargo hub added
Taxi service added
Bus terminal added
Bicycles and bicycle paths working

Free for all players:

Service buildings show notification when there is no road access
Day/night option added
Added icons to info panels of vehicles and citizens
Building and attached prop window/illumination/light depends on if building is active / has electricity
Night ambient sounds implemented
New music implemented for the night
Lights go off when a building is on fire
Pink Unicorn billboard added!
Budget window now has sliders for both day and night time
Day/Night transport lines
Shoreline now has land value and land value info view shows it even if it is not built yet
Content manager: ability to create custom district styles (custom building collections) from downloaded assets to be used on districts
District panel now has a drop down allowing to change its style set
Added day time control slider in Map and Asset editor
Added Day/Night indicator where the zoom/tiles mode button is
Visual night and day cycle added
Street lights
New textures for lighting windows added to existing buildings
Modding: Textfields support added to mod options
Fixed: Left and right mouse button references in all languages
Fixed: PDX Accounts creation lacks countries
Fixed: Logged out of paradox account on every return to main menu
Fixed: Markers are invisible to the players when placed on an asset in Asset Editor
Fixed: Short description text goes out of bounds in Load Asset window if text is too long
Fixed: Exploit: It is possible to keep the crime at 0% using only 2 Fire Stations and no Police Stations
Fixed: Using Ctrl+backspace to erase your search word in the Content Manager does not bring back the whole list
Fixed: Content Manager: Using Ctrl+v in the searchbox does not update the results.
Fixed: High density commercial building H2 3x4 Shop04a has its store sign intersecting with the building model
Fixed: The industrial H3 1x1 Facility05 building has a flickering metal cargo box.
Fixed: Options: The X button applies the new settings on the New Screen Resolution prompt.
Fixed: UI : Road upgrades: The road upgrade tooltip does not display long enough.
Fixed: Citizens can often be seen going down the metro station's stair case through the handrail.
Fixed: Clouds still move in the sky while the simulation is paused.
Fixed: Low Health prompt triggered even if you have 0 citizens (only happened when using mods)
Fixed: RUS/GER: In the Content Manager, the text of the "Publish" button is a little cut off
Fixed: "Reset key mapping" does not follow the capitalization norm of the rest of the buttons
Fixed: Advisor start text does not change language when changing language in-game
Fixed: Visitors will not leave a building when it is turned off.
Fixed: Medium roads can be upgraded to Highways with functional Service buildings connected to them. (Warning added to service
buildings not connected to a road.)
Fixed: European Theme: The Theatre and the Hypermarket European Unique Buildings are too hard to unlock.
Fixed: Sliders in the Options Menu should have indications of their value.
Fixed: Content Manager: The Categories title is misplaced.
Fixed: Citizens vanish when entered in the Japanese Garden.
Fixed: Clicking on the Auto-save option toggles the Auto-open Chirper messages option.
Fixed: The Sea-and-Sky Scraper Unique Building has the already built icon displayed at all times.
Fixed: Spelling mistake in the information box of the Fire Station building.
Fixed: The tooltip for burned down buildings has a low resolution pie chart displaying 0 jobs
Fixed: Bulldozing Medical Clinic with patients in it makes them either die or get instahealthy
Fixed: Game Crashes on Exit
Fixed: Buildings should now spawn with all or their color variations
Fixed: Asset editor: Train templates are not working
Fixed: Asset editor: Using infoshot and thumbshot tools affect sky rendering
Fixed: Asset editor: Custom asset that are set not available in asset editor are available
Fixed: Asset editor: Baked LOD textures sometimes don't show correctly for very simple and small assets
Fixed: Credits won't start from the beginning when viewed more than once.
Fixed: Game flickers when autosaving on all resolutions in Fullscreen, except on 1920x1080
Fixed: Sometimes, at the very end of a loading tip, the text of the loading tip will appear corrupted for a split second.
Fixed: When switching resolution and applying it from windowed to fullscreen, the aspect ratio is not properly set
Fixed: Tiles that don't have buildings (fields, etc.) still have a building construction animation as they build up.
Fixed: The "Recreational Use" policy is inconsistent with its description.
Fixed: Using the Bulldozer shortkey while in free camera mode prevents the user to deactivate the bulldozer normally.
Fixed: When enabling free camera, the camera button disappears but is still clickable
Fixed: Asset Editor: All the European designated Wall Ads have incorrect icons.
Fixed: Asset Editor: Incorrect icon for the Small Fountain is displayed.
Fixed: Options: Keymapping : It is impossible to keymap the middle mouse button.
Fixed: The "Average Zoned Buildings Level" text in a district's Info Panel is overlapping with the Level icon.
Fixed: Paradox Account: The user is unable to log out of their Paradox account after creating or loading a game in the same game
session.
Fixed: Map Editor: Possible to use terrain brush through parts of the brush option window
Fixed: Options: Clicking on the Auto-save option toggles the Auto-open Chirper messages option.
Fixed: People working in a Service Vehicle change name every time they get out.
Fixed: Content Manager: Disabling Maps, Savegames, or Assets does not prevent the user to access empty menus.
Fixed: Starting a New Game while all Maps are disabled causes a corrupted game.
Fixed: Map Editor: The user is able to set a brush strength with a value exceeding 1.
Added error message: Saving a save file when the Local Disk is full causes multiple issues.

The OT might be a little late. I still need to finish it. >_<

According to VentureBeat, you can pick up After Dark for $10.70 from Funstock Digital. Just did it myself. Haven't received the Steam key yet, though. Can't wait to jump in to the expansion tomorrow. I really haven't played Cities in awhile.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Will be getting the expansion, but my laptop can't properly run the game with all tiles and a 250k+ pop and in house Steam streaming sucks ass when using WiFi so I cannot use my main gaming PC. Damn.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it available?

I go to the store page and all I see is "Upgrade pack". Is that it? Is that After Dark? It's $10. Is that right? How do I get this?

Jintor

so i might be blind as a back but where the fark is the dlc page on steam for cities skyline? This store page is a right mess

Copons

so i might be blind as a back but where the fark is the dlc page on steam for cities skyline? This store page is a right mess

There isn't one yet.
AFAIK it's going to appear once they launch it, and that should be at 3 PM CEST / 6 AM PDT / 9 AM EDT.

Copons

Btw today I faked being sick to take a day off work, to get After Dark as soon as it launches.
Turns out I'm sick for real and even worse, I'm starting to be super worried about my workshop buildings not supporting the lights mapping, especially the Umeda Sky Building I plopped in the middle of my current city, which is fucking huge and would totally suck as a big black box during nighttime. :(

Which mod is causing this? -

A Mod caused an error [ModException]

Details:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'CustomContentPanel' from assembly 'Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
at ImprovedAssetsPanel.Mod.get_Name () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContentManagerPanel.RefreshPlugins () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
ModException: A Mod caused an error

Lexxism

Which mod is causing this? -

A Mod caused an error [ModException]

Details:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'CustomContentPanel' from assembly 'Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
at ImprovedAssetsPanel.Mod.get_Name () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContentManagerPanel.RefreshPlugins () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
ModException: A Mod caused an error
Try checking the mod "Improved Assets Panel". That's the one causing the error. Unsubscribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom