• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civil War 4 | Fighting game tournament | April 27-29

jbug617

Banned
Spooky is most likely burned out from the crazy tournament schedule. I don't he does anything in May after Season Beatings so a break maybe well needed

sephi22

"Yo guys be sure to watch EVO coz its going to be mad hype. But real talk, I'm quitting this shit after EVO. You may think this is a troll, but its not. Ask Arturo, ask min, ask Fooblat. After EVO, I'm done" - Sp00ky

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Spooky is most likely burned out from the crazy tournament schedule. I don't he does anything in May after Season Beatings so a break maybe well needed

He's getting paid for doing these events though, right? It's not like he's volunteering his time and energy.

I've learned the hard way not to make your hobbies your job ;) Spooky may have learned that lesson as well

That's a bit surprising, but makes perfect sense. He seems to get pretty stressed out, puts a ton of work in, and probably doesn't get paid much.

"Yo guys be sure to watch EVO coz its going to be mad hype. But real talk, I'm quitting this shit after EVO. You may think this is a troll, but its not. Ask Arturo, ask min, ask Fooblat. After EVO, I'm done" - Sp00ky

3wlIf.gif

This is a sad day for the FGC

That's a bit surprising, but makes perfect sense. He seems to get pretty stressed out, puts a ton of work in, and probably doesn't get paid much.

Pretty much, if there's a guy who deserves to "sell out" it's this guy, but he probably gets shit from ad revenue and I don't know if TOs give him anything more than a room + maybe a plane ticket.

It still amazes me how few commercials he plays compared to other streamers or "ESPORTS" streams.

Spacebar

Wtf... I just went up to spooky to say hello and told him I was a fan. He did seem off. I figured he was just tired from last night. Sucks to hear this at my first tourney.

In other news I got bodied in the first round by a Bison. Lol

AAK

I'm surprised it took this long. A guy with his work ethic and technical knowledge can get a much better paying job. He has to live his life too in the end.

Without Sp00ky the east coast loses there primary streamer and also obviously we lose a huge part of our community. My heart is heavy and full of sorrow.

remist

A sad day. Spooky was pretty much the reason I recently started watching and playing fighting games. Such a chill and down to earth guy. Hopefully he keeps coming to events and hops on the mike every now and then, even if he isn't streaming.

I wonder if he'll appoint a successor to take over teamspooky.

Long hours, tournament delays, tech/stream issues, constant travelling, probably doesn't get paid too much, and it's thankless work from the stream monsters. I can see how that shit would weight down on somebody, even if you love what you do and the people you do it with.

But FUCK man, this is upsetting news.

I have no ascii emoticon to emote this emotion I feel

There are no gifs which could show my despair right now

But if that's what Spooky wants to do, it's what's gonna happen. I'll wish him well and hope for the best, but I'll try not to let it kill my excitement for the weekend.

It's on life support, though :(

I hope he's just frustrated and blowing off some steam. He's probably the most important person in the FGC.
I don't know about that. He is certainly the most important member in the East Coast.
Sp00ky mentioned twitch.tv cops winning, so they probably did something to make him quit.
Didn't he say something about Twitch.tv "winning"?
What the fuck man... :(
Probably Twitch getting to run EVO even though Spooky didn't want to work with them in such a large capacity.

Long hours, tournament delays, tech/stream issues, constant travelling, probably doesn't get paid too much, and it's thankless work from the stream monsters. I can see how that shit would weight down on somebody, even if you love what you do and the people you do it with.

But FUCK man, this is upsetting news.

Agreed on the whole.

Can't think of someone who does more for FGC. Dude deserves the utmost respect and no shit at all for his decision.

jbug617

Banned
I don't know about that. He is certainly the most important member in the East Coast.

Probably Twitch getting to run EVO even though Spooky didn't want to work with them in such a large capacity.

What he means about Twitch winning is that his viewers did not come over with him when he moved to Own3d.

ScOULaris

ლ( ಥ╭╮ಥ ლ ) - Don't go, Sp00ky!

He seems to be pretty serious about quitting the streaming business. I'm sure it's just gotten to be far too much work for whatever amount of money he makes doing it. The guy probably wants to take some time for himself and maybe his career, which I understand.

That being said, I just hope that someone will be able to pick up where he left off.

Nabs

This is a sad day.

Sp00ky will be a huge loss to the stream community and the FCG. Though it makes a lot of sense, he's had to put up with shit on all fronts over the last few month and the only event where he seemed to be enjoying himself was at Norcal regional when he was just commentating. I really don't want to see him stop as he's the best in the business, but I'm glad he's not putting himself through something he real doesn't enjoy any more. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him even if he's not going to be streaming them.

Duxxy3

What he means about Twitch winning is that his viewers did not come over with him when he moved to Own3d.

Some viewers just don't like own3d. When it works, twitch is a better experience IMO.

I wouldn't even know that spooky is streaming without checking this forum and then checking the own3d site. The only email i got from own3d in the past month was at 2:34am today. They suck at notification.

zlatko

Banned
Wow I said back when Gootecks bailed that I'd be probably done giving a shit about FGC related stuff by a large degree if Spooky ever left. Can't believe that's happening...

8pbrJ.jpg

What's next? Hu and Aqua have a falling out? Arturo gets married and leaves? Haunts starts to only stream DOTA 2?

I can't bare this.

"Events aren't fun anymore. It's not about stream monsters. I come to the event and sit at a desk and stare at a screen all day. Not really enjoyable anymore"

AAK

Let's at least try to be happy for him now that the stress and agony of streaming is behind him. He deserves better for sure.

Art doesn't know. I'm hoping its because Sp00ky is trolling, and not because he hasn't told Art.

Believe.

dL3YI.jpg

"streaming sucks" drives it home. The concept is great, but so many factors hold it back from its true potential--technologically and culturally speaking. On one side, you never know what you'll get in terms of venue internet, on the other side, you've got people bitching about every last move you make...both things could probably be safely ignored, brushed off by telling yourself you are doing what you can with what you have and that so much is out of your control, except for that third thing: you aren't getting paid shit. and also in spooky's case, he's left out of the actual event.

I doubt he's gone from streaming 100%, he'll probably just go back to doing house streams and stuff like that, like regular people :)

Threi

notag
Meh. Stream monsters chose Kappa and other stupid emoticons over Spooky. If he wants to leave let him, he deserves better anyways.

Top Bottom