• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 4

AFAIK, very few people play because it's one of the buggiest, rushed games of the year.

I got it for someone for Christmas, and I really wish I knew about how fucked up it is before spending money on it. I've seen its bugginess in action.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
AFAIK, very few people play because it's one of the buggiest, rushed games of the year.

I got it for someone for Christmas, and I really wish I knew about how fucked up it is before spending money on it. I've seen its bugginess in action.

How is it buggy except for the random crashing

Phoenix

Random crashing? Did this get introduced in a patch or something because I'm playing the retail on an AMD3500, nVidia 7800GT and 1GB running XPSP2 with never a single random crash.

From what I've seen, the terrain either shows up broken, flickers or doesn't show up at all on a lot of video cards, the sound stutters like crazy, the tooltips are broken, the game will recommend naming your city "TXT_TWN_NAME_BOX" or somesuch, there's a crash that always happens on the exact same video to 99% of customers, and there are many, many giant memory leaks that make the game slower and unplayable for many people as your game goes on.

I know there's way more, but that's only what I've actually seen in person and have seen confirmed on the Internet when looking up solutions.

To anyone that's gotten this for Christmas and hasn't opened it yet: please look into possibly returning it before opening it and being stuck with it.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
From what I've seen, the terrain either shows up broken, flickers or doesn't show up at all on a lot of video cards, the sound stutters like crazy, the tooltips are broken, the game will recommend naming your city "TXT_TWN_NAME_BOX" or somesuch, there's a crash that always happens on the exact same video to 99% of customers, and there are many, many giant memory leaks that make the game slower and unplayable for many people as your game goes on.

I know there's way more, but that's only what I've actually seen in person and have seen confirmed on the Internet when looking up solutions.

To anyone that's gotten this for Christmas and hasn't opened it yet: please look into possibly returning it before opening it and being stuck with it.

It randomly crashes for me later in games and it totally screws up directx and i have to reboot, and I guess it does slow down in between turns later in the game but I assumed that is because there is a shitload more for the AI to do during that time

Other then that, things are fine

The crashes occur like every few hours mostly so its usually just a sign to stop playing haha

Phoenix

Weird, I haven't noticed any of those problems with the game and I play it at least once a day and have done so since it was released. I'm going to guess that the majority of the cards that its breaking on are ATI cards since there was an issue with those at launch.

Everyone!

How the fuck can I go after a cultural victory when the game forces you to spend so much on creating a big army to defend yourself early in the game :s

Top Bottom