• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
People need to be careful getting hyped, after the mess that was Civ:Beyond Earth.

They'll have to earn my trust again, certainly won't be easy.

unit-per-tile limits without increasing the number of tiles will end in disaster once again

the game is being made by the civ5 expansion pack team (who made a mediocre game even worse), so i don't have high hopes for this

civ 5 has no strategy. you just:

1. make ranged units
2. never attack. attacking is pointless because defense is OP with supercities and without enough tiles for attacking forces to win without being 3 eras ahead in tech
What?

Edit: read your complaints and they're valid I guess but not for me

Mrbob

Out of nowhere.

Steam controller bundle is interesting. Hopefully this means the ui will be tuned for TV viewing.

I'll play mostly on my main pc but will try out on my home theater PC. Assuming I can view the ui.

here's a compressed screen of my latest session on high

77C1F2A546E3484132CC76A419EACCE03E9E9462

definitely looks better imo

Making Civilization Great Again.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Wow, really not liking the look. I want to be excited for a new Civ, but expectations are firmly in check.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Really? I thought it was the single best thing they have ever done. It took combat from being just a mindless, meat-grinder where you stack as many units as you can in a single square to something where you need to think about the terrain, army composition and your attack strategy.

You clearly havent played much of the older Civ-games if you thought it was all about stacking as many units to win before. There are alot of problems with the 1upt-system, but I can add some of them:

1. Civilization is an empire-building game, not a tactical game. I think this is important on a general level, the series was always about building your empire, getting much production and so on, and I think its the skill in this part of the game that should be the most important - as it was in all 4 prior civ-games. This also means of course, that bigger is better and will beat smaller armies, most of the time. Just as in any other strategy-game like Starcraft etc. The 1upt-system had to drastically cripple the amount of units you could build to work, and as a consequence made the whole empire-part of the game dumbed down, easy and ultimately less interesting than in previous games.

2. The maps are not built for 1upt, and that always creates "bottlenecks" that forces you to heavily micromanage unit movement - something which was way less busywork in earlier games.

3. The AI can not keep up. At all. Im sure it feels good to outsmart the stupid AI, but from a gameplay-perspective, this is the single biggest flaw of civ5.

4. All the subsystems had to be designed to accomodate for 1upt. When combat featured fewer units, production was slowed down, meaning the game became more boring, so Firaxis had to develop other stuff to do. What they came up with was a lot of "random bonus if you do x", which took even more away from the strategical nature of the series. In Civ4 in particular there were a lot of interesting decisions to be made that also played a huge role in what empire you forged. In civ5, what kind of city state you bordered was often more important than the choices you made yourself.

My last point goes back to what i said first. Civ4 in particular was not AT ALL about only stacking, even though production superiority was more important than tactical superiority (since even the AI understood how to play the game at a basic level). First, there was the rock/paper/scissor-design of the units, meaning you always had to balance your armies. Second, there were siege weapons that could be sacrificed to reduce the hp of all units on a tile, thirdly, there were the possibility of going around your enemies to take out vital resources, citites or just kill workers (which the AI used to great effect). This fourthly, meant that you most of the time had to spread out your army to defend your border, which in itself is completely different than the cliche of "stacks of doom". I could go on about this. But the point is that combat is way deeper in civ4 than in civ5.

And I therefore hope they go back to the deeper, and more strategic experience of Civ4 and of course develop that further.

Edit: But why take it from me, even the game's lead designer Jon Shafer thought the 1upt in the end did more harm than good.

Jharp

Firaxis just killin it.

It'll be hard to top Civ V, my favorite strategy game of all time, but I'll be in for this on day fucking one.

Arthea

I'm glad Civ6 is announced, but that probably means that they won't improve on BE via expansions, will they?

Hopefully Civ6 will be good one finally

Arthea

the artstyle seems to be an odd choice to me, but as we've seen just couple of screens, I'll save my judgement for later.
I wonder why they picked this particular look, though

Arthea

I will not pre-order because I had awful performance issues with Civ 5 vanilla, but I'm hyped.

but Civ 5 vanilla ran really well and I've played it on several different PCs.
Civ 5 in general runs much better than it can be expected of such a game, and turning off fog, should make it run pretty much on everything, how well it runs.

I hope this game comes with a Map Editor / Scenario Creator like Civ V did. The lack of one in Beyond Earth is the reason why I almost never played that game.

Civilization V is probably my most played game ever, it's so good, so I'm pretty hyped for this.

I don't like the art style, but who knows, maybe it makes sense when playing the game. I also hope they learned from Beyond Earth that people expect a full experience from day one and not after a few (expensive) expansions.

Arthea

I'm guessing to appeal to modern strategy game players, which the vast majority reside on iOS and Android.

I hope ... it's not the reason behind that artstyle, which doesn't really suit Civ all that much, but maybe we'll get used to it if a game turns out to be good.

Lots of comments on the new art direction here and everywhere else on the net. Wonder if Firaxis will address it since it seems like a widespread concern.

Gameplay is ultimately what matters, but the aesthetic can certainly impact the overall enjoyment.

Maledict

Will be the first Firaxis game in a long time I don't pre-order.

Firstly, the art is dreadful. Sorry but whoever thought releasing those screenshots was a good idea needs firing. It looks like something I play on my IPad for 5 minutes. I want my civ maps to show the grand sprawl of my empire across history - not look like a free to play game that's going to ask me to buy gems to speed up construction. I'm not someone who gets held up by graphics (playing Stellaris arm, replayed might and magic 3 a few months ago!) - it's the actual style and design of the graphics that is so bad.

Secondly, and more importantly - Beyond Earth was terrible. A horrible, empty shell of a game that didn't know what it was trying to do and failing at that. It was fundamentally flawed in lots of ways that should have been spotted on day 1 of testing, and Firaxis utterly failed to even try and fix those issues. Instead we got a shitty expansion no-one asked for - which still doesn't make the game actually playable or fun.

Firaxis, like Stardock, don't deserve my money upfront anymore.

m_dorian

Well it is a Sid Meier game so i ll eventually get it, though i have avoided BE due to bad reviews. However if this is the art they are using, it is terrible.
I see no problem handling stacked units the way Endless legend game did, but if they copy it's city expansion that would be awful because it made no sense.

I really liked Civ 5 and steam says i was with it for 876 hours but i went back to Civ 4 with the superb Realism Invictus mod. Civ 5 never had a mod like this but i hope Civ 6 will.

Really not feeling the art style. Looks more like Civ Rev or whatever other iOS freemium crap.

Seems like a poor decision to go that route.

It's still Civ though, so tentatively interested anyway? Though I'm sure I could still milk plenty of hours out of Civ V, let alone Endless Legend and Stellaris.

Carl7

but Civ 5 vanilla ran really well and I've played it on several different PCs.
Civ 5 in general runs much better than it can be expected of such a game, and turning off fog, should make it run pretty much on everything, how well it runs.

Turns change took way to long, it was like 1 or 2 minutes in late game. they improved it with patches later but the solution only came with brute force when i got a high end processor.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
generic sunshine trailer music
clash of clans art style
blurred boobs

when you start off with three hate crimes you've got a long road ahead of you.

vpance

You clearly havent played much of the older Civ-games if you thought it was all about stacking as many units to win before. There are alot of problems with the 1upt-system, but I can add some of them:

Nice summary. Basically 1upt won't truly work out until the average PC is many times faster so the game can actually accommodate sufficiently large maps and amount of units, with a smarter AI. But I doubt it's going away anytime soon since most gamers will find it more appealing on the surface.

While 1upt is more aesthetically and thematically pleasing, SoD is more like an abstract, concentrated representation of your civ's military power which is actually easier to manage.

jwhit28

I don't mind the art, reminds me of TF2. I was sure the next Civ would be f2p. It fits the model so well. Weekly free Civ rotation, Civ and Map DLC available for GOLD and real money, daily challenges to earn the GOLD. Oh well, I hope VI catches on fast with the Lets Players. I like having them up on the other screen while I play.

Top Bottom