• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V: Brave New World official (summer 2013)

Bregor

Venice being one of the remaining unannounced Civs has been heavily speculated on for months now, it is no surprise.

I'm not a big fan of another Italian Civ, Rome was enough in my opinion. Their UA is pretty unique however but I don't think I'll ever use it. Maybe for a one city culture challenge, maybe.

I'm not a big fan of another Italian Civ, Rome was enough in my opinion. Their UA is pretty unique however but I don't think I'll ever use it. Maybe for a one city culture challenge, maybe.

Rome and Venice are pretty far removed from one another (with the former being the imperial power of its time and the latter a wealthy merchant republic), apart from the capital city of both being in the Italian peninsula. Italia was just one small part of the Roman Empire.

Rome and Venice are pretty far removed from one another (with the former being the imperial power of its time and the latter a wealthy merchant republic), apart from the capital city of both being in the Italian peninsula. Italia was just one small part of the Roman Empire.

I know, it still just rubs me the wrong way, especially when there are literally hundreds of other choices.

I know, it still just rubs me the wrong way, especially when there are literally hundreds of other choices.

The Italian city states were such a big player in history that have never been given any significant love in the Civ series. Their impact on modern, western culture is undeniable. I think this is a really cool idea. Florence would've been a good choice too but the ostentatious masquerades of Venice offer a certain appeal.

Sibylus

Banned
Venice isn't just "another Italian Civ", it represents a completely different period of history, wherein there was no communal Italian governorship, there were numerous city states that were often in rivalry or open conflict against each other, the Popes, and other major European states. At its height, it had virtual monopoly over the trade going through Constantinople and the Black Sea, a position of preeminence in Mediterranean trade, and it's territorial claims were such that their power wasn't broken until the Venetians ran headlong into the motherflippin' Ottoman Empire. They wouldn't cease self-governorship until running headlong into the person of motherflippin' Napoleon Bonaparte.

Gives you an idea of what sort of company Venice kept, non? These are not bit players in the scheme of European history.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So Venice would be ancient Italy then?

Also it seems like buying the game from GMG won't hand you the code until its release date.

Juice

I love how all the mods for *hyper realistic earth* maps all actually feature oversized Europes.

It's an ironic social commentary on how Euro-centric this game's audience's interest in history is.

Sibylus

Banned

Also it seems like buying the game from GMG won't hand you the code until its release date.
Medieval-Early Modern. Reputedly founded in 421 AD, though it would be 500-600 years or so before it emerged as a pivotal player on the world stage.

spiritfox

Venice isn't just "another Italian Civ", it represents a completely different period of history, wherein there was no communal Italian governorship, there were numerous city states that were often in rivalry or open conflict against each other, the Popes, and other major European states. At its height, it had virtual monopoly over the trade going through Constantinople and the Black Sea, a position of preeminence in Mediterranean trade, and it's territorial claims were such that their power wasn't broken until the Venetians ran headlong into the motherflippin' Ottoman Empire. They wouldn't cease self-governorship until running headlong into the person of motherflippin' Napoleon Bonaparte.

Gives you an idea of what sort of company Venice kept, non? These are not bit players in the scheme of European history.

Except that Venice is already in the game, as a city state. Admittedly, it had a greater contribution to Early Modern history than a NPC city state can achieve, but I rather have a unified Italy, which controlled more land area, was a colonial (albeit minor) power, and had a significant impact in modern Europe. Having Venice lessens, if not completely destroys, the chances for an Italy Civ.

No, the Most Serene Republic of Venice wasn't a city state until after the fall of the Western Roman Empire. So, medieval (and to some extent renaissance, though Venice's influence began to dwindle soon after) times, not ancient

Boss Doggie

Medieval-Early Modern. Reputedly founded in 421 AD, though it would be 500-600 years or so before it emerged as a pivotal player on the world stage.
No, the Most Serene Republic of Venice wasn't a city state until after the fall of the Western Roman Empire. So, medieval (and to some extent renaissance, though Venice's influence began to dwindle soon after) times, not ancient

Ahh I see, thanks.

Also the Shoshone are trade-focused native Americans?

Sibylus

Banned
Except that Venice is already in the game, as a city state. Admittedly, it had a greater contribution to Early Modern history than a NPC city state can achieve, but I rather have a unified Italy, which controlled more land area, was a colonial (albeit minor) power, and had a significant impact in modern Europe. Having Venice lessens, if not completely destroys, the chances for an Italy Civ.
Yes, as a city state, but it's not the same thing :p. Denmark didn't face the same objections raised when several city state names were retired with its inclusion, nor should Venice.

Yes, as a city state, but it's not the same thing :p. Denmark didn't face the same objections raised when several city state names were retired with its inclusion, nor should Venice.

I agree, though I'm guessing Venice is being objected to on those grounds because it was an actual, historical city-state (whereas Denmark is a country)

Though because city-states are extremely simplistic in this game and aren't differentiated from one another (apart from type) I think Venice certainly deserves a spot

spiritfox

And the rumored UA basically paints Venice as a super city state. That kind of kills the point of there being city states in the first place. Are we going to see a Singapore civ next?

I just feel that Venice does not fill the role of a Civ as well as other choices. Gameplay-wise, it's an interesting Civ, but I rather they look to other parts of the world, like Vietnam or an African kingdom.

leroidys

If true, that's probably the best way to represent the Venetian Republic in Civilization and pretty in-line with the city-state historically.

Although it is strange to have an actual historical city-state be a civilization in this game. But I suppose that's due to the simplicity of the game more than anything (as city-states in the game aren't really differentiated from one another).

I dunno. I think it's kinda stupid how inconsistent Civ games are in this regard, Civ V being the worst offender thus far.

If they're going to make vastly different styles of play like this, then why can Shoshone still build cities, Inca build cavalry, etc.

Sibylus

Banned
And the rumored UA basically paints Venice as a super city state. That kind of kills the point of there being city states in the first place. Are we going to see a Singapore civ next?

I just feel that Venice does not fill the role of a Civ as well as other choices. Gameplay-wise, it's an interesting Civ, but I rather they look to other parts of the world, like Vietnam or an African kingdom.
The UA is significant, but the list of things a Venice civ can do is still far, far longer than the list of things a Venice city state can do. Expanding by force and cash are two biggies, and they're through and through true to the empire the Venetians built. Historically as well, the city state appellation doesn't even begin to tell the whole story.

Holy crap being able to pick bonuses from looting ruin is pretty awesome. I really like being able to run around with free movement archers early on in the game, being able to do this at will shall be godlike.

Free movement rocket arties would be even better. Could only be topped if someone modded Grit into the game and I got +1 range rocket arties that get an additional +2 range during golden ages awwww right

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy crap being able to pick bonuses from looting ruin is pretty awesome. I really like being able to run around with free movement archers early on in the game, being able to do this at will shall be godlike.

Free movement rocket arties would be even better. Could only be topped if someone modded Grit into the game and I got +1 range rocket arties that get an additional +2 range during golden ages awwww right

Now you dunit. I can't unhear the music now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtovlHjBtS8

;)

Benedict

Digital release of Brave New World is available for preorder at amazon.com now.
How do I use my 2K $30 discount I got from preordering Bioshoch Infinite?

It says it's not valid for pre-orders but I thought that Amazon-Tony removed that earlier.

jph139

From what I remember, the Ideologies have their own separate page from Social Policies - like, a new tab from the popup. But they're unlocked the same way (by building up culture).

And since they're on top of the policy trees I feel like they'll be lowering the culture bar, or vastly increasing productivity, or something.

Sblargh

Banned
Memory of the Q&As is fuzzy, are the Ideology trees accessed like any other social policy, or did they show something a bit different?

They open up either when you get to the industrial age or when you build, I think, 3 factories. But then they become a system of their own, accessed through the social policy window but with a lot of things unique to them.

I like that the notion of Ideology is to kind of lock what victory path you are pursuing at the same time it frees you to have a more open beggining. They said... somewhere I don't remember, that their intention was to allow you to second guess your victory path mid-game in case things weren't looking so bright. So if picking the Honor tree first wasn't paying off because a military victory is seeing out of hand, you can use the ideology to try to cook up another path in the later half of the game. It's not optimal, but gives a fighting chance to an otherwise failed game.

I am so excited for it.

Boss Doggie

Ahh so the three Social Policies are turned into ideologies.

Also I'm so envious at you NA folk, you get the game earlier!

I am aghast and agog that people are bitching about Venice. They are introducing an entirely new playstyle with this civ. It sounds amazing!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ever since this expansion was announced. I stopped my playing of this cold turkey. I have it paid off, just waiting on this to drop. It looks utterly fantastic

Ever since this expansion was announced. I stopped my playing of this cold turkey. I have it paid off, just waiting on this to drop. It looks utterly fantastic

When the expansion was first announced, I went and started a new game (my first in months). I didn't finish it because I kept wanting to use features that aren't in until BNW comes out.

Mr. F

Banned
I really hope multiplayer gets fixed. Got a bit more stable with Gods and Kings, but still experience frequent freezes and drops when playing with friends online.

Hi all,

I've had Civilization V original version on my Steam account for a long time, but I never got the Gods and Kings expansion.

I'm itching to play more Civ, but the main game is a little boring by now. I'm debating on whether to buy Gods and Kings now and then upgrade to BNW when it comes out, but it seems like I'd be able to save money by waiting a month and getting a package deal. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Also, I saw some other people mention that all the expansions are cheaper through some other service that's not Steam. Since my Civ V is through Steam, am I forced to keep getting the expansions through that, or is that other option (whose name escapes me right now) available to me?

Thanks!

Boss Doggie

Civ 5 and its expansions are steamworks, so regardless from where you buy it, it's going to be used in Steam

ShaneB

I'm itching to play more Civ, but the main game is a little boring by now. I'm debating on whether to buy Gods and Kings now and then upgrade to BNW when it comes out, but it seems like I'd be able to save money by waiting a month and getting a package deal. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

You just missed a sale (it's always on sale seemingly), but I guess if you HAVE to get it now, I guess the cheapest option would be to buy the Gold Upgrade, which is 20 bucks on Steam, which would upgrade you with Gods and Kings and all the dlc so far, and then you'd buy BNW separately. Also what Boss Doggie said, you can buy it anywhere no worries (but I think the upgrade to gold option is just on Steam)

Top Bottom