• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Those additions look completely game changing. THis xpac includes the new mechanincs from Gods and Kings as well, right?

oh my goodness a deity game on this stream where an AI Civ actually has their happiness thrown into the shitter. If that doesn't sell you on the xpac I don't know what else would.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Europa Universalis harder to learn than Hearts of Iron? Or should I say is it hard to learn if I know how to play HoI?

A patch went out last night, did it break the game for anyone else? Mine kept crashing

It broke my pre patch on going game that I had started couple of days ago...Shame as I had spent several hours to it (Marathon speed). Also is it just me or have they optimized engine a lot? Load times between turns are a lot shorter even late in the game with huge map. Fuck yes.

Veezy

que?
It broke my pre patch on going game that I had started couple of days ago...Shame as I had spent several hours to it (Marathon speed). Also is it just me or have they optimized engine a lot? Load times between turns are a lot shorter even late in the game with huge map. Fuck yes.

That's actually one of the things that, if you look at past patches, has been address. Turn time, depending on how long your game was, how big it was, and how many people were playing, used to be insane. Much more manageable now.

I wish there was a way I could get this on the Steam store for cheaper than 26. I have $40 in store credit to spend, but I don't feel like dropping 30 on this. I mean, shit, I will, but god damn.

Anybody down for trying to set up some sort of multiplayer game for this maddness?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
mostly MMP and GMT titles when actually playing cardboard. I have a dedicated wargamer group I play with.

Otherwise iOS ports of whatever is the flavor of the month.

You ever try any of the big box stuff like Twilight Imperium or Eclipse? Seems right up your alley lol

Also, I wish android would get some of that stuff :(

traveler

Not Wario
I still haven't found any board games I enjoy more than Power Grid, but I've never really set aside the time for the super heavy 4x types.

I still haven't found any board games I enjoy more than Power Grid, but I've never really set aside the time for the super heavy 4x types.

I feel pretty much the same. Power Grid is a weekly game among my friends (an event that has slowly expanded to encompass a rotating crew of 12+ people and multiple boards at once). I'm trying to figure out what to try next, but I'm hesitant to invest in a super intense game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I feel pretty much the same. Power Grid is a weekly game among my friends (an event that has slowly expanded to encompass a rotating crew of 12+ people and multiple boards at once). I'm trying to figure out what to try next, but I'm hesitant to invest in a super intense game.

You can try Arkham Horror. Easily plays 8 players, kind of hilarious to spectate and not too heavy after you get past the initial learning phase.

edit: Is this xpac currently on super sale somewhere?

You can try Arkham Horror. Easily plays 8 players, kind of hilarious to spectate and not too heavy after you get past the initial learning phase.

edit: Is this xpac currently on super sale somewhere?

Not super sale but I believe going through GMG for a key-if you can get through the mass of people trying to get their 666 deals-is 25% off.

roddur

after last night's update buying new tiles in the game is disabled at certain point even if there were tiles that can be bought. anyone experienced this?

edit : i've enough gold to buy tiles

web01

A patch went out last night, did it break the game for anyone else? Mine kept crashing

Yeah it broke a lot of things like achievements in custom games and game freezing on diplomacy screen in saves made before the update.

I am actually pretty sure I have cleared 2200 hours over the years on those games, if my Steam counts are right and my estimate of Civ IV is somewhat accurate.

Thinking about making a section in the OP for some of the stuff in Maddjinn's stream on Friday-worth doing? The only big bits of new stuff that I saw were the +2 faith from pearls/gems pantheon, Iron reveal moved to Bronze Working, and Lighthouses giving +1 hammers to sea resources.

DEO3

I love the changes to the early game, I hate hate hate feeling like if I don't do the standard tradition/AI cheese opener I'm not playing the game right. Now with that nerfed I can finally try some other opening strategies.

I fear the late game will be even more tedious now though. With G&K, if I haven't won by the atomic era I usually just start over because turns just take too long once you have a ton of cities asking you what to build, a ton of troops you need to position, a ton of workers to micro, etc. And now you need to manage the incredibly in depth culture/tourism/ideology system on top of all that.

From watching MadDjinn's video, it doesn't seem like something you can ignore either. He managed to fuck up the other civilizations pretty bad, even though he said he hadn't even really focused on building up his tourism up to that point. So even if I wanted to be a genocidal war monger, I'd still have to build up and manage culture/tourism else I'd risk being subjected to -80 happiness.

I am actually pretty sure I have cleared 2200 hours over the years on those games, if my Steam counts are right and my estimate of Civ IV is somewhat accurate.
I've 1600h of Civ5 under my belt... just glad that I'm not the only one to dedicate so much time into it.

And in a few days from now, we'll have to dedicate a whole lot more time!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I haven't dug into Civ 5 too much yet because the early detractors drove me away. Lately I had some good games going but got a weird save game bug that would lock any game I restored after I passed a certain number of turns I think. I'll get this, let it patch up then go fucking crazy.

Maybe it's just me, but I was never a fan of any of the scenarios in any of the games.

shrug

The base interest isn't there for me-my taste is for random maps like most Civ players, but the ones in Civ 5 have actually been mostly pretty good.

Just finished a comical t260 science win with Babylon. Now that's not that great of a Babylon time, but I was isolated and I had like no food on my island. Babylon was like size 15 at the end of the game and I spent no more than 7 turns in unhappy. Terrible stuff, but that early academy and GS generation is so silly it didn't matter.

I can do some of the scenarios, but not the ones that deal with mass armies. I'm grateful I was able to do the 1066 scenario twice.

On the other hand, I got all the achievements for the Polynesia scenario, but that wasn't asking you to beat it on the highest difficulties.

Vespene

I'll wait until the Enhanced Mod comes out. It truly changed the game for the better for the vanilla and G&K editions.

What killed the original game was the AI diplomacy. It was so hard to work with and always made seemingly erratic decisions. It was almost impossible to have friends in the late game because Civs never forgave past transgressions.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I loved the scenario in Fall from Heaven 2. Was like playing a full blown RPG with amazing city management lol

Top Bottom