• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Is someone making a version for Civ 5?

There are probably dark fantasy mods in the works, but I don't know of anything that compares to the scope of FfH2, especially since the lead dev now works on Fallen Enchantress.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
He really turned that series around from what I hear. I was VERY excited for Elemental. Hell, I still play MoM on my phone all the time. Then I hear that the game was unplayable garbage. I got Fallen Enchantress and the one game I played through was pretty good.

Incorrect month fixed.

Civ IV can still expect to get the "big" style overhaul mods that you can find over at CFC (Caveman2Cosmos being my current favorite), while Civ V has a ton of smaller mods you can get from the Steam Workshop.

Terra

It is amazing how they turned & tweaked Civ 5 from something awful into something very, very good. And this opinion comes from a Civ-fan that has been playing it all since the first one.

Wish I hadn't pre-ordered the boxed copy. I'm normally pretty patient with game releases what with my ridiculous backlog and all, but I really don't want to wait until the end of the week to play this one.

any deals on pre orders right now?

Steam has it for 10% off but I figured I'd ask here before pulling the trigger.

Great OT btw!

This looks to be a truly great expansion

Facism

any deals on pre orders right now?

Steam has it for 10% off but I figured I'd ask here before pulling the trigger.

Great OT btw!

This looks to be a truly great expansion

Look up member "dunderhassan" in the buy/sell/trade thread to see if he has any more steam keys for this game. He sorted me out with one for $12.

Enco

Is G&K worth buying if I have pre ordered BNW?

I know BNW has the main GK features but will the mods using GK work with BNW?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I want this so bad. I actually want to start a game right now but without those changes it seems pointless. Maybe I'll fire up some GalCiv2. Who wants to play with me?! Oh wait :(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is G&K worth buying if I have pre ordered BNW?

I know BNW has the main GK features but will the mods using GK work with BNW?

I think any mods made for GK will probably have to be updated to work with BNW.

The only reason to get GK is to get the new civs from that expansion.

Here is a good deal for 20 bucks:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613841

You can get Civ 5 gold, which includes GK and all the released DLC so far. Also...Civ 4 complete and XCOM. Killer deal.

Trigger

Its killing me breh. Trying not to think of it or play G n K.

Just one more day...

fu2GhUa.gif

alstein

Is someone making a version for Civ 5?

No, but it's rumored that Fall From Heaven 3 may come out under Stardock in the future. (the creator of FFH now works for Stardock and did a pretty good job fixing up the Elemental games, though it's nothing like FFH) FE with latest expansion is a solid game in its own right.

Funny thing is the guy who was the original designer for Civ 5 (Jon Shafer) also ended up at Stardock, though he's no longer working there full-time and is doing hs own indie game (At the Gates- a Roman Barbarian game)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
No, but it's rumored that Fall From Heaven 3 may come out under Stardock in the future. (the creator of FFH now works for Stardock and did a pretty good job fixing up the Elemental games, though it's nothing like FFH) FE with latest expansion is a solid game in its own right.

gif_clint_yes350.gif

1cmanny1

Why have they removed the groupings? It is quite annoying my units can't move through other units. That is my only issue with 5 so far.

I might pick this expansion up, but it is so damn expensive.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why have they removed the groupings? It is quite annoying my units can't move through other units. That is my only issue with 5 so far.

I might pick this expansion up, but it is so damn expensive.

Personally, I think one unit per tile adds more strategy to the combat gameplay.

alstein

Personally, I think one unit per tile adds more strategy to the combat gameplay.

The problem is , the AI hasn't shown it can handle the strategy, unless it's improved drastically in the last patch. I've not played Civ V for months waiting for the expansion (had FE to play instead)

They could resolve the issue w/ 1UPT vs. stacks of doom with some kind of wargame-like stacking limit per tile (that increases with technology), but then that really messes up the combat simplicity and rock paper scissors unit design.

It's a dead horse at this point, but I prefer Civ 5 unit-per-tile implementation over the collateral damage and superstack focus of Civ 4. Civ 5's real glaring problems have always been erratic AI behavior (mostly fixed at this point, with more in BNW) and the miserable implementations of cultural and diplomatic win conditions (being reworked totally in BNW).

The problem is , the AI hasn't shown it can handle the strategy, unless it's improved drastically in the last patch. I've not played Civ V for months waiting for the expansion (had FE to play instead)

It can't really. It can however just beat you with sheer numbers if you are playing at a difficulty appropriate for your level. I get swarmed and stomped from time to time even on Deity where I have a respectable win rate. I know some people hate "cheating" AIs with massive bonuses to production but if they generate more interesting games I am all for them.

I much prefer 1upt but it mainly boils down to the fact that it is how it makes sense in my head.

Also I had no idea how much more efficiently the game runs on a quad core pc. It flies now.

jph139

Just 24 hours left... can't wait! I've been following this one closely for months now. Still feeling the lack of speculation and new Civ reveals.

Most excited for Brazil - they'll probably be my first game. Interested in seeing how the new Cultural Victory works, as that's been my go-to thusfar. Staying small and focused tends to be my MO, so hopefully the need for great works and archaeology doesn't put too much of a damper on that!

So glad I ended up pre-ordering on Steam. Sure it's pricy by my usual standards, but I've already gotten ~250 hours worth of game time off of $15 spent. So I don't feel too bad tossing them (almost) full price this time. Worth it to play on launch.

Jintor

Think it'd be pretty unlikely for it to go any further down during the Summer sale (if that's hitting)? I kinda doubt a new release that's already 10% off is gonna get, but it might be part of a pack or something.

Kinda want Gods and Kings as well so holding out, but given that espionage and religion are part of base BNW, might not bother...

Gods and Kings came out right before the summer sale last year and was NOT on sale. Don't get your hopes up about BNW having some absurd discount after release as part of the Steam sale.

I think the G&K Civs are pretty interesting and would much prefer to have them in the available pool of Civs in my games vs. not having them around. G&K will most certainly be part of the Steam sale.

Jintor

May as well preorder now (or GMG it or something) and then just hope G&K shows up in the sale, then. Cheers for the input.

Sibylus

Banned
So I've been hella confused by the release date on this one, thought it was the 9th, then the 8th, then the 9th...

Steam says approximately 10 PM PST today. Is this a number that could be wildly revised as Valve/Firaxis wake up and show up at their respective workplaces? Oh, and how much of a time lag does greenmangaming codes usually experience?

ShaneB

So I've been hella confused by the release date on this one, thought it was the 9th, then the 8th, then the 9th...

Steam says approximately 10 PM PST today. Is this a number that could be wildly revised as Valve/Firaxis wake up and show up at their respective workplaces? Oh, and how much of a time lag does greenmangaming codes usually experience?

I see "unlocks in 15 hours", aka midnight tonight, aka July 9th :p edit.... I now realize this means I wont go to sleep until like 4am tonight.

Sibylus

Banned
Well, that's July 8th for us on the best coast. I'll be happy if so! Wasn't anticipating getting to crack it open tonight (unless gmg drags ass...).

dream

Oh man. I actually know very little about Brave New World other than that it's tailored to fit my playing style (I'm a peaceful pussy who likes to build cool shit and influence the world). So the Polygon review is the first I've really read of the new civilizations and, my god, Venice sounds absurdly fun.

Lyng

I really like the new culture victory system. Makes it far more interesting to go culture again. A much needed change away from the horrible "inactive" system we had before. Cant wait to play it myself.

Sibylus

Banned
Oh man. I actually know very little about Brave New World other than that it's tailored to fit my playing style (I'm a peaceful pussy who likes to build cool shit and influence the world). So the Polygon review is the first I've really read of the new civilizations and, my god, Venice sounds absurdly fun.
Have to agree, Venice is practically my civ made to order: Strong capital, ocean-faring, and with a strong focus on city states, trade, and gold income. They'll be the first of the new additions I play.

Let fly the banner of St. Mark!

Dylan

Civ 5 is one of my top games this gen. I bought the Steam preorder yesterday.

And since my social life doesn't seem to be going anywhere these days... bring it on!

samn

I just remember reading a lot of things being gone, and then being announced for God and Kings as ALL NEW!!!!

The features they 're-added' in G&K were not easier to make just because they had already existed in previous games. The name of the feature might be the same but the mechanics, implementation and balance all have to be scrapped and remade.

Trigger

I'm rolling Shoshone on my first play through. I've never played a Native American civ before, and they'll force me into a unique playstyle I think.

Top Bottom