• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CLANNAD Official English Release Kickstarter (Funded | Stretch goals announced)

Andrefpvs

EDIT 3: The Kickstarter is over with $551,881 raised.

EDIT 2: The actual stretch goals have been announced:

• HD Assets - $200,000 (Reached)
  • Side stories from the PSP/Vita/PS3 versions (ported to this new PC version) - $320,000 (Reached)
  • All-new CLANNAD anthology manga - $380,000 (Reached)

Unfortunately, a PlayStation Vita port and "Tomoyo After" are "outside the scope of the Kickstarter". Sekai Project are aware of the demand for a portable version.

EDIT: Fully funded in less than 14 hours! Stretch goals should be coming soon.

Some of the stretch goals being considered are:

• Ports (Since the original Kickstarter only covers the PC version, this would allow for more versions of the game to be localized, e.g. PS Vita version)
  • HD assets for the PC version
  • Extra scenarios from the PS3/PS Vita version

Sekai Project recently announced their plans for bringing this classic visual novel to Steam with a new, professional English translation. They launched the Kickstarter today and it's been a tremendous success, with over $100,000 pledged 8 hours after the campaign started.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/clannad-official-english-release

Help us bring Key’s classic visual novel, CLANNAD, to English-speaking markets through Steam!

Game Info

First published on the PC April 4th, 2004, CLANNAD has been ported to the PS2, Xbox360, PS Vita, and many other platforms. It was also adapted into a popular anime with the first season broadcast in 2007 and a sequel, CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~, broadcast in 2008. CLANNAD is a masterpiece by the visual novel studio Key, and its themes of family and bonds have deeply moved its fans since it was first released.

Project Outline

If this project is successfully funded, we plan to release Key’s epic life visual novel in English, fully voiced on Steam for digital download! We also have prepared various Kickstarter exclusive CLANNAD rewards, such as tapestries, T-shirts, and mini-shikishi drawn personally by the artist of CLANNAD, Itaru Hinoue! Depending on the success of our Kickstarter, a physical hard-copy release of CLANNAD is possible as well! We are looking to raise $140,000 which allow us to offer a physical edition of CLANNAD as well as a digital edition.

Why Kickstarter?

We at Sekai Project have decided to use Kickstarter because the cost of not only providing a professional, top-quality translation for 50+ hours of gameplay, but also covering licensing royalties, developing costs as well as the voices of many of the industry’s top Japanese voice actresses is quite a monumental task and we need your help! As visual novels still only occupy the hearts of a small group of gamers and anime fans overseas, localizing and translating such an epic comes with many risks, and now is our chance to show Key and other amazing visual novel companies together how much we want to enjoy their games in English!

Will CLANNAD be fully voiced?

Yes! If the project is successfully funded, it will be fully voiced in Japanese and include the wonderful voices of Japanese voice actresses such as Mai Nakahara, Ai Nonaka, Mamiko Noto, Kikuko Inoue, and more! Please note that the protagonist was not voiced and we will not be adding voices for his lines. Additionally, we will not be recording an English dub.

Who is Sekai Project?

We are a multinational group of fans and creators, working to promote Japanese multimedia and live content overseas. Being fans of visual novels ourselves, it is our dream to see many of the classics released in English.

Lots more info, including backer rewards at the Kickstarter page.

Personally, I think it's great to see such tremendous support for a genre that has historically struggled to penetrate the western market. While there's a chance this might be an isolated case due to the popularity of Clannad, there have been some recent indicators that people in general are more open to this kind of game (Zero Escape, Danganronpa, Steins;Gate, World End Economica, etc.). I myself am fairly new to the genre.

Btw, Clannad is not a hentai game, if this needs mentioning.

I put in $40 as soon as it was up. I would have pledged more but I already own most of the things they were offering at the higher tiers.

I wonder what Key/other VN companies think of the overwhelming support.

GcRayden

Supporting this ASAP.

It seems we're getting a lot of Japanese games translated to English now days. Most recent examples being the overwhelming support for Hatsune Miku, Steins;Gate PC version, and the release of Akiba's Trip (Akiba Strip, whichever). I hope this trend continues!

CLANNAD's length is definitely one of it's most challenging aspects. With over 1.35 million Japanese characters in the game, CLANNAD is actually longer than Tolstoy's "War and Peace"!
Woah, woah. "Longer than a Tolstoy novel" is somewhat a detriment to me. Especially War and Peace.

FluxWaveZ

One of the stretch goals should be to fix their eyes.

Also, yes. This is a nice sign for the viability of visual novels in the western market.

D-Man

Watching the video on the Kickstarter page and hearing the theme song playing got me a bit teary-eyed, I will admit. I really loved Clannad and After Story.

Definitely supporting this one.

FSLink

Banned
That's probably counting all the paths, as I think this one branches a bit. One path might be more like a regular novel, don't know for sure though.

It's pretty fucking long, I remember reading the fan translation and following a "300 hour guide".

OceanBlue

It's cool that they're doing their own translation considering how large the VN is. The fan translation for the game is really spotty.

Corpekata

Banned
Wow 100k in a day and the lowest tier is 40 dollars. That is pretty insane. Little interest in the game but nice to see a kickstarter tearing things up after a few recent dissapointments.

dani_dc

Seems like 60 days might have been a bit excessive.
Missed the early bid apparently, and $40 a bit too rich for my pocket at the moment. Glad to see the kickstarter doing well, I'll pick the game after release.

Corgi

Banned
Are they doing one of the HD rereleases or just the original release thats the resolution of a smart watch?

Aeana

Their eyes are enormous.

Could be worse.

kanon10b.jpg

laser

Neo Member
I liked Rewrite and Little Busters more, but I'll be in for $40 if I have any money left after the Grisia kickstarter.

I remember playing the fan translation and I fully enjoyed it. I'd love to see some official support though, the more VN's the better.

I have a desire to feel the sadness again.

We kinda underestimated our fans...a good lesson learned

I got home not too long ago and pledged 200 bucks. Now to evangelize this Kickstarter to my friends.

Is that the Toei version of Kanon? My god the character designs were deplorable in that series.

Yeah, that's the Toei 2002 version of Kanon. The crap part about Toei is that they're doing 8 animation projects simultaneously at the moment:
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/

Zakard

Never heard of this game before. Can someone explain to me the appeal of the game without spoiling anything?

Wedge7

I loved the anime and the sequel, after story. Damn, the feels. The music, everything. Just loved it. Fantastic to see the support and hopefully more Visual Novels will be translated in the future.

xtradi

Banned
You will cry many times and the music is amazing.

It's one of the best Visual Novels ever.

That will be Clannad After Story for me. Clannad just feels lots of emotion, sometimes funny sometimes sad.

Music is good i agree. I listen until i bored hahaha

I'm gonna back if there is Clannad After Story game especially Tomoyo After. It' best if there is mobile version too.

javac

Never watched Clannad, my brother loves it. Never played a Visual Novel either but I backed the physical tier...just because I guess. :p No idea if I'll even play it. Damn Kickstarters...

stryke

That will be Clannad After Story for me. Clannad just feels lots of emotion, sometimes funny sometimes sad.

Music is good i agree. I listen until i bored hahaha

I'm gonna back if there is Clannad After Story game especially Tomoyo After. It' best if there is mobile version too.

This is clannad and clannad AS.

I expected this to get easily funded, but not in the 16 hours or so it's on pace to be done in. I wonder what stretch goals they have in mind.

gretos

Neo Member
I really hope they'll consider releasing the game on a handheld be it 3DS or Vita!

I love playing these kind of games on the go.

BTW, I was going to watch the anime "clannad & after story" when I get the blu-rays this
holiday but now I'm afraid it may ruin the game for me so can anyone tell me , for a great
experience should I watch the anime first or wait for the game?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I really hope they'll consider releasing the game on a handheld be it 3DS or Vita!

I love playing these kind of games on the go.

BTW, I was going to watch the anime "clannad & after story" when I get the blu-rays this
holiday but now I'm afraid it may ruin the game for me so can anyone tell me , for a great
experience should I watch the anime first or wait for the game?
Watch the anime first; some emotions you exude just aren't as strong when playing a VN.

Top Bottom