• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CLANNAD Official English Release Kickstarter (Funded | Stretch goals announced)

Tenck

Somehow audio books keep getting made too... If they did it, they'd probably set it as a pretty high stretch goal, yes. Considering historically games have sometimes used college students or programmers as voice talent, it's not a matter of if it could be done, but whether it would have the quality to be listenable.

You know how many people read lines for my copy of Game of Thrones audio book?

One.

You know how cheap that was? Not very.

You know how many characters are in Clannad?

You know how many people read lines for my copy of Game of Thrones audio book?

One.

You know how cheap that was? Not very.

You know how many characters are in Clannad?

Professional voice work is expensive and who the hell wants a terrible dub from made by "college students or programmers?"

Tenck

Professional voice work is expensive and who the hell wants a terrible dub from made by "college students or programmers?"

People are already giving English dubs a hard time. I can't even fathom how bad of a reception Clannad VN dub would get if it was a random "college student or programmer."

mikeebi3

hats off to those fine folks who helped make the game a reality, but man I can't imagine dropping 7k like that all of a sudden. Makes me wonder if they're the kinda guys that light cigars with $100 bills or are the biggest clannad fan and spent everything they've got on a once in a lifetime chance for neato goods+game

baekshi

Banned
They're talking about stretch goals already. Was talked about it in the original Clannad VN thread.

If there's an audience for it, I'm sure they wont ignore them.

If they made a 3DS one, I'd be all over that.

I'd be ok with 3DS also but it's cheaper to make Vita version since it already exists.

L~A

Can't believe this is happening... Fully funded in less than 24h.

I wonde if they'd include Tomoyo After as a stretch goal. Already played the fan translation, but definitely paying for an official release.

Hopefully, Key will realise there's a real market for VN in the West and greenlight translations of their other games. And then other publishers will do the same and open up to the West.

bobawesome

Can't believe this is happening... Fully funded in less than 24h.

I wonde if they'd include Tomoyo After as a stretch goal. Already played the fan translation, but definitely paying for an official release.

Hopefully, Key will realise there's a real market for VN in the West and greenlight translations of their other games. And then other publishers will do the same and open up to the West.

I'd be down with Tomoyo After: Memorial Edition. I'm not sure I could stomach the H-scenes in the original game again.

gretos

Neo Member
Oh they are considering the vita :D

Watch the anime first; some emotions you exude just aren't as strong when playing a VN.

If that's the case then all the more reason to not to ^^; because I can't handle too much emotions twice so I think I'll wait for the game before watching the anime to prepare myself to get hit with that wave of emotions.

Shizuka

They're well aware of the Vita, with how much it's been mentioned everywhere. I hope it happens, because I'd kill for it. They're trying to get in touch with Sony, I've suggested contacting Shahid, Giocorsi or Shane, they must help with the process.

Ef is great! High-five for good taste.

I hope the VN is better than the adapted anime, but that shit was offensively bad.

They're well aware of the Vita, with how much it's been mentioned everywhere. I hope it happens, because I'd kill for it. They're trying to get in touch with Sony, I've suggested contacting Shahid, Giocorsi or Shane, they must help with the process.

Oh fuck yes. Oh fuck the hell yes. Clannad on the Vita would definitely be mine.

Then they release it digital only on the US store... *cries*

Shizuka

Oh fuck yes. Oh fuck the hell yes. Clannad on the Vita would definitely be mine.

Then they release it digital only on the US store... *cries*

They barely have a license to publish games on Playstation platforms, I'm almost sure it'd be DD-only. They could team up with Aksys, XSEED or NIS America to get a physical print out, it'd be a hit for both companies.

Shizuka

They'd be wise to get the stretch goals going while the iron is still hot, or else supporting will slow down fast after reaching the goal in a day.

JNA

Banned

Holy crap! Rap actually...works very well here!

That's a first. Usually most rap mixes I have seen make most songs sound A LOT worse. This song however fits Clannand pretty well though and the beat is catchy as hell. XD

I'll think about getting the physical version soon. But glad they have reached their goal already.

Bring more Visual Novels in yo!

They'd be wise to get the stretch goals going while the iron is still hot, or else supporting will slow down fast after reaching the goal in a day.

You're absoluetly right. I REALLY want a vita version please! :)

They barely have a license to publish games on Playstation platforms, I'm almost sure it'd be DD-only. They could team up with Aksys, XSEED or NIS America to get a physical print out, it'd be a hit for both companies.

I don't have a problem with it being digital. It's if it's digital in the US only that the problem starts, since you can only really have one account on the Vita and mine is Australian...

A Pendulum remix of Toki Wo Kizamu Uta would make my life complete.

There are Vita and PS3 ports, but there are a lot of expenses and red tape to deal with on consoles.
Well yeah but considering this project got 100% funded for PC in less than two days I'm letting myself wonder if console ports can be considered as stretch goals. I mean there's still 59 days left on this Kickstarter!!

stryke

Well yeah but considering this project got 100% funded for PC in less than two days I'm letting myself wonder if console ports can be considered as stretch goals. I mean there's still 59 days left on this Kickstarter!!

The probable added complication is that the console versions were done by Prototype and to get those released will need renegotiation of royalties and licensing agreements.

edit - and even have to get them involved again to put in the English translation as well.

Roshin

ZZZ004290-PP.jpg

I expected something completely different.

hamchan

Yep, will pledge for a Vita version for sure. Happy this easily reached the goal in like a day.

or PS3 version, cool with that too.

JNA

Banned
I guess I could back this.

Would just like more western support for VNs in general, so anything helps.

Hopefully we get Angel Beats VN next. Heard there is going to be a big VN for that one, and I really liked the anime. (Even if it was rushed, which is probably why the VNs will be a thing)

Shinriji

I'll definitely pledge for a vita version if they make it as a stretch goal.

The good thing of the Clannad KS is that $250k stretch goal for the vita version of Grisaia should be very, very easy to achieve.

Grisaia KS is still on track for november?

Shizuka

The good thing of the Clannad KS is that $250k stretch goal for the vita version of Grisaia should be very, very easy to achieve.

Grisaia KS is still on track for november?

No PSM pls.

It's easier for Sekai Project to get in touch with Prototype directly, pretty much every game Sekai is working on have a Vita version developed and published by Prototype.

Top Bottom