• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Matush

Before this week's Clan chest, we still have few open spots left (20Y9PQ), always looking for active members. Don't forget to say you are coming from other GAF.

hollomat

Banned
Based on the radio royale thing, it looks like 2v2 is definitely coming in the next update.

2v2 was awful in the Star Wars clash royale rip off so it'll be interesting to see if it's any better here.

Alur

Actually enjoyed it in Force Arena and seemed to be pretty popular with the more hardcore players. YMMV of course.

Will be nice to be able to do something together for people in the same boat as folks like me and GuyFive. No more upgrades without a month plus or requests, pushed up against 5k and regularly facing max players with our level 2/3 legendaries, 6 epics, and 9 rares.

Dazzler

Actually enjoyed it in Force Arena and seemed to be pretty popular with the more hardcore players. YMMV of course.

Will be nice to be able to do something together for people in the same boat as folks like me and GuyFive. No more upgrades without a month plus or requests, pushed up against 5k and regularly facing max players with our level 2/3 legendaries, 6 epics, and 9 rares.

I feel your pain, I'm at 455/800 to get Giant to Level 10 and I never get any in chests as it's my most levelled rare

There is space in the gaf royal clan if anyone wants to join. You couldn't find a nicer bunch. Always helpful and very friendly.

I've left because fuck that game

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
2 v 2 is going to be a bit crazy. Not sure I'm gonna like that. How do you communicate with your teammate?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Sad it didn't work out you were so close.

Thanks dude. I was just constantly up and down and I had lost count the amount of times I lost a game due to my connection dropping on my iPhone. I might come back after a month or so away, maybe that's what I need.

Matush

How are you guys feeling about the new update?

2v2 seems cool but chaotic
not sure about new cards, heal spell seems like an overkill tbh
new arena at 3800 is welcomed

Hey guys, just started playing this a little while ago and am enjoying it so far. Half way through level 6 and around 1500 trophy score.

Was looking into joining a gaf clan but the couple that are active the most and have a space free do t seem to let me join so I assume I have to be added.

Does anyone know how I could join either of these?

hollomat

Banned
Hey guys, just started playing this a little while ago and am enjoying it so far. Half way through level 6 and around 1500 trophy score.

Was looking into joining a gaf clan but the couple that are active the most and have a space free do t seem to let me join so I assume I have to be added.

Does anyone know how I could join either of these?

Apply to GAF (#QYYQCQ) and in the request say you're from Neogaf.

We keep it closed, otherwise we literally get a request to join every 5 mins. Post here when you're ready to join and I'll open it up for you. I'll be watching this thread throughout the day.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Honestly 2v2 seems like a joke mode. There's absolutely zero way to coordinate anything meaningful during a game without voice chat, and even then it's still just chaos.

Hate the new cards too. Stupid dark witch is legendary, so I'll never get to use it which automatically pisses me off

Apply to GAF (#QYYQCQ) and in the request say you're from Neogaf.

We keep it closed, otherwise we literally get a request to join every 5 mins. Post here when you're ready to join and I'll open it up for you. I'll be watching this thread throughout the day.
Hey thanks for the response, I'm ready to join now so I will. Keep an eye out.

hollomat

Banned
The new arena will help with the problem of people dropping for the clan chest. Now everyone will drop to 3800 rather than the low 3000s.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I don't mind the new troops mostly but the Heal spell seems like it could be really problematic. For example, sitting on top of a Royal Giant. Mirror Heal in that situation and you have a whole lot of guaranteed tower damage.

I think Heal would work best on medium troops that survive Fireball/Fire Spirits. Stuff like EBarbs, Mini Pekka, LJ, Valk, Baby Dragon, etc

I can see myself being very annoyed at Hog Valk Heal pushes.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I think Heal would work best on medium troops that survive Fireball/Fire Spirits. Stuff like EBarbs, Mini Pekka, LJ, Valk, Baby Dragon, etc

I can see myself being very annoyed at Hog Valk Heal pushes.

On the plus side, Heal is a static area, so harder to use on fast moving troops like Ebarbs and Hog.

Agent

Final Sneak Peek!

New League structure:
-Season reset is now 30 days
-Once you get 4000 trophies you start climbing the new league structure
Challenger I - 4000+ trophies
Challenger II - 4300+ trophies
Challenger III - 4600+ trophies
Master I - 4900+ trophies
Master II - 5200+ trophies
Master III - 5500+ trophies
Champion I - 5800+ trophies
Grand Champion - 6100+ trophies
Ultimate Champion - 6400+ trophies

Once you make it into a league you will earn that chest reward, even if you drop below that trophy limit. Some of the chest rewards let you pick between two cards to receive.

Orange Juice Summary Video on the League structure and overall update overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kviCsSIfHr4

hollomat

Banned
I like being able to choose between two cards for the rewards. All in all seems pretty solid and will give me a reason to get back to the 4000s.

My lvl 13 royal giant and lvl 12 towers have been making the 3400 trophies range hell for the past few months.

Dazzler

do any of you have the issue in iOS where you can't update the app for a while after each update?

I'm prompted to download the update, but when I get to the listing in the App Store, there's only the option to "Open" the app and not to "Update" it

Alur

do any of you have the issue in iOS where you can't update the app for a while after each update?

I'm prompted to download the update, but when I get to the listing in the App Store, there's only the option to "Open" the app and not to "Update" it

Had the same problem. Actually have it every patch for CR. I usually have to hit the actual update tab on the App Store a couple of times, and if that doesn't refresh I switch it back to another tab and do it again and it refreshes.

Dazzler

Had the same problem. Actually have it every patch for CR. I usually have to hit the actual update tab on the App Store a couple of times, and if that doesn't refresh I switch it back to another tab and do it again and it refreshes.

I deleted the app and just reinstalled it. Instantly fixed the problem

Make sure you're logged into Game Center before doing it tho

Kioshen

That's what I did too.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

The problem occurs because it takes a while for an update to propagate across the Store, but Supercell gets you to try to upgrade immediately before it is ready PLUS the App Store App caches content and doesn't always refresh quickly.

In the future, just wait a while, make sure to switch to the Update tab in your App Store App, and/or kill your App Store App process to get it to refresh better.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
They keep moving the goalposts on me so I guess I'm never going to get to legendary arena.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm suddenly getting annihilated by aggressive giant/graveyard/fireball combos :/ Seems like every second or third deck around 4000.

I just can't kill that giant fast enough to not end up taking a ton of damage, even though I'm otherwise well set up to defend against graveyard (valk, minions, musk, and princess). If I overcommit, Ebarbs come at me in the opposite lane.

Not sure how to adjust.

LiQuid!

I'm suddenly getting annihilated by aggressive giant/graveyard/fireball combos :/ Seems like every second or third deck around 4000.

I just can't kill that giant fast enough to not end up taking a ton of damage, even though I'm otherwise well set up to defend against graveyard (valk, minions, musk, and princess). If I overcommit, Ebarbs come at me in the opposite lane.

Not sure how to adjust.

Q8JoDMw.png
+
BIhJZZO.png

Agent

Not sure how to adjust.

What is your deck?

I've been using a similar deck of Zap, The Log, Arrows, Minions, Skeleton Army, Musketeer, Giant, and Graveyard (3.4 Average Elixir). To be honest, it is a quite annoying deck to defend against since it has a lot of quick damage potential.

The times I struggle with are against players who are hyper aggressive in their offensive plays so I can't effectively play Giant/Graveyard. Even though I have a relatively low deck cost, I can't really play the GG combo much since it is 10 elixir. Essentially my opponent having an aggressive offense means their defense is better since I can't play the combos I want. The aggressive offense also means you tend to get people out of cycle more often, which helps your case defensively.

Other potential suggestions:
-Barbarians tend to be quite effective against the GG combo. Granted, I don't use Fireball so Barbarians are probably more effective against my deck than others. However, they do make quick work of Giants and can support a counter push.
-The one deck I struggle with more than any is the Lava Hound / Balloon Combo.
Granted, that is just a strong deck overall and is very punishing.
-Not sure if you have any buildings in your deck, but that would be recommended. To be honest, I don't really care of my opponent plays a building because the combo typically still gets a lot of damage off, but it is less than it could be. Tombstone seems to work the best since it distracts then the skeletons can deal damage. Inferno Tower could work, but there are too many cards used currently that can distract the IT from locking onto your Giant.

I feel like the balancing between air and ground troops is getting out of hand in the 4000 trophies+ range.
Playing air decks depends not on skill at all but purely on your opponents deck.

Since air decks have gotten worse and worse less and less people defend against them and now playing them has become valid again, but not because they pay off if you play them well, but because you encounter so many people who have basically nothing to defend against it.

Out of the last 5 games I played with my air deck, 4 had only one troop that could defend against air and I can easily take that out with a lightning.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
What is your deck?

Miner, Princess, Minions, Arrows, Fireball, Giant, Valkyrie, Musketeer.

Pretty old school deck but has proven very versatile. Strong against Lavahound, and holds up well against spawner decks or decks with Tombstone, Inferno Tower, and/or Hog with sound play. I'd rather not swap out a card but I may be forced to. I have all available cards, though my current deck is where I've invested the most in upgrading.

I've happily defended against Graveyard decks before, but the aggressive Giant/Graveyard combo has me beat currently, even though I just jumped up a tower level yesterday. Perhaps getting aggressive on the opposite lane with a push, sacrificing the tower with just a Valkyrie to clean up the Skeletons and Giant?

I feel like the balancing between air and ground troops is getting out of hand in the 4000 trophies+ range.
Out of the last 5 games I played with my air deck, 4 had only one troop that could defend against air and I can easily take that out with a lightning.

Bats and Night Witch are probably going to force people to invest in more Air Defense.

Alur

If you are in one of the less active/dead GAF clans and would like to be in a more active clan for 2v2 fun next week, GAF Royale (#Q8C9CY) will make room for you.

We have an alt or two we can drop to make room, just me know that you want to join here in thread with your trophy count so we can adjust it so you can request to join.

tamminen

Arena 7 feels like the absolute maximum I can reach as a f2p. Enemy cards are multiple levels ahead of me and the spells that used to work on certain enemies dont do jack shit.

So without further complaints is there anything I could actually do? Im level 7 so I can only keep doing regular battles and losing over and over again. Thats not fun.

Arena 7 feels like the absolute maximum I can reach as a f2p. Enemy cards are multiple levels ahead of me and the spells that used to work on certain enemies dont do jack shit.

So without further complaints is there anything I could actually do? Im level 7 so I can only keep doing regular battles and losing over and over again. Thats not fun.

What's your deck and what enemy units/decks do you struggle with in particular?

Alur

These legendary draft modes are the best. Just some weird shit in hand sometimes, some amazing games, some regrettable stomps. Nice change of pace from the same old, same old decks tho.

hollomat

Banned

Unfortunately unless you want to spend a ton of money there's not much you can do apart from just slowly lvl your cards and work your way up.

Even if you somehow found an amazing deck right now and had amazing skill and managed to get up to a higher arena right now, every battle will be against people with higher lvl cards and towers than you. It will be super frustrating.

I've only spent $20 on the game buying the two value packs with 100k gold, and I'm tower lvl 12 and made 4300 trophies this season. So it's definitely possible to make it high as f2p or putting in a little money.

UFO

Banned

Nah, 3000 totally achievable as f2p. You just need to keep pushing, I didn't reach legendary until I was almost a arena lvl 10.

sackninja

I'm currently on 4200 while staying free to play. Just don't change your deck too often and focus on requests in order to upgrade your cards.

These legendary draft modes are the best. Just some weird shit in hand sometimes, some amazing games, some regrettable stomps. Nice change of pace from the same old, same old decks tho.
I ended up hitting 12 wins and getting bandit. It took me 4 tries. It all comes down to choosing cards that allow you to effectively counter the cards you've given up. Wizard might be bad but if you gave them minion horde wizard becomes a great card. Also need to make sure you draft a win condition can't rely on the opponent to give you something. Generally I think tanks are super strong and cards like mortar and Xbow are super weak since you need to build a deck around those cards.

tamminen

Golem lv2, Baby D lv4, Musketeer lv5, Skelly army lv2, Archers lv6, Spear goblins lv6, Zap lv6 and Lumberjack is the deck Im using in arena 7 at the moment. Ive another deck pretty similar to it that uses a lv3 Hog rider. Burned all my gems on the 500 gem chest and got the Lumberjack. Dunno if it was worth it but hes okay I guess. I used Knight or Valkyrie before and replaced them with him. My strategy is to try and defend with my kind of weak defense line and try to punish with Lumberjack going in front and buffing my weaklings. Golem rarely sees play until the last minute.

Ive managed to stay in arena 7 for now but the climb is reeeeeeally slow. Guess I might check some of the value packs once in a while if it boosts my performance.

The jump from arena 6 to 7 is huge. My best arena 6 deck was this really strange deck with cannon, witch and other strange crap but it just worked so well. On 7 its trash though and I get 3 crowned right away.

Edit: So this one youtuber showcased a Lumberjack deck which has Hogrider, Minions, Archers, Ice Golem, Cannon, Zap and Poison. Now I dont have Ice Golem and my Poison is only rank1 but I really wanna try the deck, what can I use as substitutes? Im guessing Arrows would be okay since he mostly uses Poison to counter Graveyard and Im not facing GYs too much myself. What about the Ice Golem sub? Knight maybe?

Golem lv2, Baby D lv4, Musketeer lv5, Skelly army lv2, Archers lv6, Spear goblins lv6, Zap lv6 and Lumberjack is the deck Im using in arena 7 at the moment. Ive another deck pretty similar to it that uses a lv3 Hog rider. Burned all my gems on the 500 gem chest and got the Lumberjack. Dunno if it was worth it but hes okay I guess. I used Knight or Valkyrie before and replaced them with him. My strategy is to try and defend with my kind of weak defense line and try to punish with Lumberjack going in front and buffing my weaklings. Golem rarely sees play until the last minute.

Ive managed to stay in arena 7 for now but the climb is reeeeeeally slow. Guess I might check some of the value packs once in a while if it boosts my performance.

The jump from arena 6 to 7 is huge. My best arena 6 deck was this really strange deck with cannon, witch and other strange crap but it just worked so well. On 7 its trash though and I get 3 crowned right away.

Edit: So this one youtuber showcased a Lumberjack deck which has Hogrider, Minions, Archers, Ice Golem, Cannon, Zap and Poison. Now I dont have Ice Golem and my Poison is only rank1 but I really wanna try the deck, what can I use as substitutes? Im guessing Arrows would be okay since he mostly uses Poison to counter Graveyard and Im not facing GYs too much myself. What about the Ice Golem sub? Knight maybe?

Knight for ice golem is fine but you get a lot of value from its death damage paired with zap for killing minions or what have you. Usually fireball is the correct sub for poison which is usually preferred for hog decks anyways. Minions archers are more than enough GY counters to not use poison there. Hog rider lumberjack is a solid combo though. You could watch pongtv on YouTube. He plays that combo a lot usually paired with a princess.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Golem lv2, Baby D lv4, Musketeer lv5, Skelly army lv2, Archers lv6, Spear goblins lv6, Zap lv6 and Lumberjack is the deck Im using in arena 7 at the moment. Ive another deck pretty similar to it that uses a lv3 Hog rider. Burned all my gems on the 500 gem chest and got the Lumberjack. Dunno if it was worth it but hes okay I guess. I used Knight or Valkyrie before and replaced them with him. My strategy is to try and defend with my kind of weak defense line and try to punish with Lumberjack going in front and buffing my weaklings. Golem rarely sees play until the last minute

I'd suggest swapping out archers for minions. You already have spear goblins and musketeer for low and high power defense against air and ranged attack. Minions will also help counter air but are also good for countering valk, knight, skarmy, mini pekka.

You might also consider switching out zap for arrows. It costs a little more but will take out princess and minion horde properly as well as any troops you were already using it on (of course you lose the reset).

Top Bottom