• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

b33r

I absolutely love 2v2 mode, but it simply does not work in a challenge mode where you are forced to pair with a random. There are simply too many idiots that play this game to have fun in a level capped environment. I was looking forward to all of the 2v2 challenges this month, but if they are going to force you to pair with a random then no thanks. Quite frankly, there should be no gem entry fee for 2v2 challenges with randoms. It's not like the rewards are that great.

I'll stick with 2v2 ladder mode where card/tower levels can sometimes compensate for a bad teammate or you can actually pair up with a clanmate/friend.

Yeah in my first match my partner dc'd in the first 30 seconds. I don't like these either. They should at least let you play with a clan mate.

hollomat

Banned
The 2v2 challenge doesn't lvl your cards up to tournament lvl if they're below. Wish supercell had said something about that. My 2v2 deck is completely different from my 1v1 deck and. I haven't bothered lvling some cards in it. Found out in my first game I was using a lvl 1 executioner and lvl 1 rocket. I'm sure my partner was pissed.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So, still rocking the same deck for a long time, tower level 11, and drifting up and down in the 4200-4400 trophy count range. Trying to work out what cards to level next.

My deck is

Miner L3, ready to go to L4 for 50k gold
Princess L3, 6/10 to L4
Minions L12, 998/5000 to L13
Arrows L12, ready to go to L13 for 100k gold
Fireball L9, 212/800 to L10
Giant L10, 170/1000 to L11
Musketeer L9, ready to go to L10 for 50k gold
Valkyrie L9, 378/800 to L10

With around 25k in the bank, I'm saving up towards the 50k mark to level either my Miner or Musketeer. Any advice on what to do first? I'd like a tankier Miner but also think a beefier Musketeer would avoid getting one shotted by Fireballs more as I climb the ranks and extra firepower there would be good.

Also, I'm currently focusing my requests on Valkyrie because it is the "closest" to being leveled. But I suspect a L10 Fireball might have more impact, and wondering whether I should go all in on Giant and get that to L11 as the benefit I gained getting that from L9 to L10 was huge. Thoughts?

Edit: season chest adjustments

totowhoa

Banned
So, still rocking the same deck for a long time, tower level 11, and drifting up and down in the 4200-4400 trophy count range. Trying to work out what cards to level next.

My deck is

Miner L3, ready to go to L4 for 50k gold
Princess L3, 6/10 to L4
Minions L12, 998/5000 to L13
Arrows L12, ready to go to L13 for 100k gold
Fireball L9, 212/800 to L10
Giant L10, 170/1000 to L11
Musketeer L9, ready to go to L10 for 50k gold
Valkyrie L9, 378/800 to L10

With around 25k in the bank, I'm saving up towards the 50k mark to level either my Miner or Musketeer. Any advice on what to do first? I'd like a tankier Miner but also think a beefier Musketeer would avoid getting one shotted by Fireballs more as I climb the ranks and extra firepower there would be good.

Also, I'm currently focusing my requests on Valkyrie because it is the "closest" to being leveled. But I suspect a L10 Fireball might have more impact, and wondering whether I should go all in on Giant and get that to L11 as the benefit I gained getting that from L9 to L10 was huge. Thoughts?

Edit: season chest adjustments

Personally, I'd go all in on giant. Musketeer is a good upgrade choice now for added fireball defense, And same thing for archers if you run into many mac arrows... but I'm guessing you don't.

I don't feel like the miner upgrade is that critical, but obviously go for it when you have the gold to spare!

Man I really need something like NW or Bandit for my deck. I'm stuck at 2900ish trophies. At least my cards are good enough to not drop much

HotHamBoy

Seige: Titan Wars is a new CR clone that has potential. Gameplay wise it's a little like CR meets a 1v1 MOBA.

(Edit: Dev said it was actually inspired by Starcraft 2 mods but the meta game was lifted ftom CR)

You make a deck of basic troops, spells and Titans. Basic troops are always in hand and you can spam them as soon as you have mana. Spells and Titans are played just like the cards in CR.

Your troops rush forward from your base, past your defense towers and towards your opponent's towers, attacking them automatically until they reach the opponent's base.

Titans can be played instantly where ever your farthest basic troops are. Spells can be played anywhere.

The menu, economies, upgrade system, store, clans, etc is an exact copy of CR in every facet. Unlike CR, everything is a little more lenient. Silver chest open in 1 hr, not 3, for example.

I just started playing, I'm not sure if it's good. It doesn't have the placement strategy that CR has but it has other factors to consider that may make up for that. For one thing, having to have your troops run all the way from your base means you still need good timing.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Personally, I'd go all in on giant. Musketeer is a good upgrade choice now for added fireball defense, And same thing for archers if you run into many mac arrows... but I'm guessing you don't.

I don't feel like the miner upgrade is that critical, but obviously go for it when you have the gold to spare!

Seems like sound advice.

My valkyrie is up to 426/800 so I think I'll finish that off, then get to work on the Giant. Upgrading Giant has always given me big trophy count gains.

And up to 37k gold, so that musketeer upgrade won't be far off.

Hustler

Any active NeoGAF clans for this game? Started playing again after quite some time.

edit: for reference, I'm currently sitting at 2047 trophies if there is a trophy requirement

hollomat

Banned
Any active NeoGAF clans for this game? Started playing again after quite some time.

edit: for reference, I'm currently sitting at 2047 trophies if there is a trophy requirement

I sent you a PM with an invite to our clan. We don't have a trophy requirement and are pretty active.

totowhoa

Banned
Seems like sound advice.

My valkyrie is up to 426/800 so I think I'll finish that off, then get to work on the Giant. Upgrading Giant has always given me big trophy count gains.

And up to 37k gold, so that musketeer upgrade won't be far off.

Above 5k I'm finding I have trouble making headway without upgrading a few cards myself. I went from 5100 one season to 5400 the next with archers, skeletons, ice spirit and my crown towers all getting an extra level on them.

I think I'm done with that mortar deck that got me to 5.4k though. At least until I can effortlessly get a max mortar (1k/5k now). Should have my hog to 10 and lightning to 6 in two weeks so I'm gonna see if I can get to 5500 with that

Finally made it to Arena 10 after upgrading Minions. Deck is:

Golem 5
Tornado 4
Collector 7
M Minion 8
Mini Pekka 7
Minions 10
Archers 10
Zap 9

Next upgrade is zap, then Mini Pekka. I'm about to lvl up to Crown Tower 10 also!

My secondary account got Night Witch also, I'm trying a similar deck with it, and it is just so damn good. Wish I have it for main account lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I now hate golem for a new reason. Shitty players reach new personal highs by spamming golem and then make shitty teammates in 2 v 2.

Minion horde flying towards tower. Opponent waits until the horde are attacking the tower, then drops a princess. I mean, buddy, come on. There needs to be a "WTF are you doing" expression added to the game.

Any time I see a level 10 teammate I know I am about to get wrecked.

Lourio

Finally got 'The Log' :D Just missing Lumberjack and Bat Witch now.

But yea, this new wave of 2v2, I am getting constantly matched with garbage teammates and/or a lot of disconnects.

I believe someone said it on here, if your teammate gets disconnected, the player remaining should be into double elixir for the remainder of the match without the other team knowing.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Picked this game back off after months (a year?) off and goddamn - it really is great, isn't it? I'm simultaneously impressed and disappointed that Supercell managed to keep it basically unchanged, with basically no new modes and minimal new units, all this time.

If anyone is playing Brawl Stars and needs a clan, GAF Royale has one in game. Search for GAF and put your name in the request.

I made it as a placeholder for when the game releases and we inevitably need more than one clan. Most of our GAF Royale members are holding off to try it til then. In the meantime, there are still 5 slots left in the NeoGAF Brawl Stars clan as well so should probably fill that first.
I sent a request if there is anymore room. Thanks!

Agent

I now hate golem for a new reason. Shitty players reach new personal highs by spamming golem and then make shitty teammates in 2 v 2.

Minion horde flying towards tower. Opponent waits until the horde are attacking the tower, then drops a princess. I mean, buddy, come on. There needs to be a "WTF are you doing" expression added to the game.

Any time I see a level 10 teammate I know I am about to get wrecked.

There are two types of decks that annoy me when I see them as a teammate. The first is any deck with an Elixir Collector. Elixir Collector might be the most useless card in 2v2 as literally every team you go against is going to have some combo of Fireball/Rocket/Lightning/Poison/Miner so there is almost a guarantee of it to have no value.

The second is the low cost Hog cycle decks. Those decks don't work as well given the elixir gain so you can't cycle them as fast. That, and they generally have poor defense so if your opponents have any type of competent push you're screwed.

With that said, off-topic, Bandit might be my favorite card in the game right now. Such a versatile card that catches people off guard very often. The best is when you have a tower down and the 2nd tower is ~500 left. Just drop it in the center and it is almost guaranteed to finish the tower off because it locks on so fast and is difficult to react to.

There are two types of decks that annoy me when I see them as a teammate. The first is any deck with an Elixir Collector. Elixir Collector might be the most useless card in 2v2 as literally every team you go against is going to have some combo of Fireball/Rocket/Lightning/Poison/Miner so there is almost a guarantee of it to have no value.

The second is the low cost Hog cycle decks. Those decks don't work as well given the elixir gain so you can't cycle them as fast. That, and they generally have poor defense so if your opponents have any type of competent push you're screwed.

With that said, off-topic, Bandit might be my favorite card in the game right now. Such a versatile card that catches people off guard very often. The best is when you have a tower down and the 2nd tower is ~500 left. Just drop it in the center and it is almost guaranteed to finish the tower off because it locks on so fast and is difficult to react to.

E-Collector works for me in 2v2 because it makes the opponent basically waste their Fireball/Rocket/Lightning/Poison/Miner. They tend to use more elixir than what I used, and leave my teammate to use their cards without the fear of being hit by them. Better yet, if they use miner, I use my Tornado and activate the Towers. And if they leave it, then I get more Elixir !

It's cool also because there is a moment where the opponent just don't care anymore about it and leave it there.

Anyway, I only play with my gf, so we know our cards. We know how to play together, and how we bait the opponent so we can get our Golem/GS to the Tower and Clone them

commish

Yes, I hate when my teammate has an EC. It's a waste of a card imo in 2v2. If your opponent is using a spell on the EC, chances are he's also hitting your tower. That's a pretty good deal for him and is not really a "waste" of a rocket/fireball/etc. It's getting good value. I'd do it every time. And honestly, even if it's not attacked, it's really hard to be elixir efficient in 2v2 like you can be in 1v1 (e.g., the double log on the incoming goblin barrel), so I think it's harder for the EC to actually make a difference. Having another troop or spell would be better.

I don't mind fast hog cycle decks so much as partners. I just have to adjust my style to complement their deck, which isn't too hard. Hogs always seem to get to the tower with some hits eventually.

I honestly never tried bandit outside of draft games. Maybe I'll give him a chance.

And Serpens, there's a lot to be said about playing with someone who knows how to play with you and your deck well. A few weeks ago me and this guy in my clan just got totally in sync with our decks and had something like a 20-1 run in 2v2.

Yes, I hate when my teammate has an EC. It's a waste of a card imo in 2v2. If your opponent is using a spell on the EC, chances are he's also hitting your tower. That's a pretty good deal for him and is not really a "waste" of a rocket/fireball/etc. It's getting good value. I'd do it every time. And honestly, even if it's not attacked, it's really hard to be elixir efficient in 2v2 like you can be in 1v1 (e.g., the double log on the incoming goblin barrel), so I think it's harder for the EC to actually make a difference. Having another troop or spell would be better.

I don't mind fast hog cycle decks so much as partners. I just have to adjust my style to complement their deck, which isn't too hard. Hogs always seem to get to the tower with some hits eventually.

I honestly never tried bandit outside of draft games. Maybe I'll give him a chance.

And Serpens, there's a lot to be said about playing with someone who knows how to play with you and your deck well. A few weeks ago me and this guy in my clan just got totally in sync with our decks and had something like a 20-1 run in 2v2.

Yeah pretty much. That's why I said it, It works for me, but I don't play with strangers. I get that it wouldn't work much with someone that don't know what you're doing. With strangers I'd use Tombstone or something like that, or another deck.

With our decks, 6 elixir to get a Rocket, Lightning or 2 Fireballs is good when my teammate will use their Wiz to support our troops

2v2 Sudden Death was quick and easy. Pretty much just heavy cards. I went with Balloon/Rage/Freeze/Giant/Arrows/Fireball/Infernal/Graveyard

HotHamBoy

tumblr_n5dlefQtRU1qmn01to1_250.gif

You guys. I opened the Clan Chest and got my first Legendary drop (if you don't count the Legendary chest I won).

latest

Fuck yeah! So Sparky and Lavahound and now Night Witch.

Nice to finally get a Legendary with versatility. I still want the Miner, Ice & E. Wizards, Graveyard and Log but this is awesome.

tumblr_n5dlefQtRU1qmn01to1_250.gif

You guys. I opened the Clan Chest and got my first Legendary drop (if you don't count the Legendary chest I won).

latest

Fuck yeah! So Sparky and Lavahound and now Night Witch.

Nice to finally get a Legendary with versatility. I still want the Miner, Ice & E. Wizards, Graveyard and Log but this is awesome.

Congrats! NW is an amazing card. Got it for my secondary account and it is just so much fun to use it

I'm four Wizards away from level 9, and which point I hope I can get past the wall of 3700 trophies which has been my ceiling for a while now.

[Man, that sounds weird if you don't know what we're talking about.]

I'm four Wizards away from level 9, and which point I hope I can get past the wall of 3700 trophies which has been my ceiling for a while now.

[Man, that sounds weird if you don't know what we're talking about.]
I hoped that with 3800 and my lvl nine valk. Still 50 trophies shy ;).

On to ten! Sigh. Only 740 of them to go

Grampasso

Giant/gy was my previous desk.

What's Splashyard?

Graveyard
Bowler
Baby Dragon
Knight
1 elex skellies
Tornado
Poison
EWiz/Mega Minion

The whole point of it is to continually get a tank from the back going towards one of the enemy tower. Use MM/Ewiz+ tornado mainly for defense, skellies mainly to fast cycle. You have to wait for the right moment ot play gy, you can do that with a counter push or even better if you manage to counter an attack and while your remaining troops are about to cross bridge you do a surprise attack on the opposite lane dropping a tank at bridge+gy on the opposite tower. They usually panic at this point and you get easily 1 tower if not 2. It's really difficult to 3crown with it, but you can make people ragequit if done right.

Interfectum

Seige: Titan Wars is a new CR clone that has potential. Gameplay wise it's a little like CR meets a 1v1 MOBA.

(Edit: Dev said it was actually inspired by Starcraft 2 mods but the meta game was lifted ftom CR)

You make a deck of basic troops, spells and Titans. Basic troops are always in hand and you can spam them as soon as you have mana. Spells and Titans are played just like the cards in CR.

Your troops rush forward from your base, past your defense towers and towards your opponent's towers, attacking them automatically until they reach the opponent's base.

Titans can be played instantly where ever your farthest basic troops are. Spells can be played anywhere.

The menu, economies, upgrade system, store, clans, etc is an exact copy of CR in every facet. Unlike CR, everything is a little more lenient. Silver chest open in 1 hr, not 3, for example.

I just started playing, I'm not sure if it's good. It doesn't have the placement strategy that CR has but it has other factors to consider that may make up for that. For one thing, having to have your troops run all the way from your base means you still need good timing.

I'm really liking Siege. The game definitely has that old school feel of a SC or WC3 mod. They really did themselves a disservice copying CR's metagame so closely as the actual gameplay is quite different.

Agent

Cannon Cart Challenge starts tomorrow. It's 2v2 draft mode and you need to get to 8 wins to unlock the card. Otherwise, the card unlocks in 9 days. There is a free entry and 100 gems after that.

Video on the card/challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kXNEtaEciA

Not really looking forward to it, just hoping I get some semi competent teammates to hopefully get 8 wins.

commish

Cannon Cart Challenge starts tomorrow. It's 2v2 draft mode and you need to get to 8 wins to unlock the card. Otherwise, the card unlocks in 9 days. There is a free entry and 100 gems after that.

Video on the card/challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kXNEtaEciA

Not really looking forward to it, just hoping I get some semi competent teammates to hopefully get 8 wins.

Competent allies, LOL

Don't you know that it's a lot better to always split push, even when your opponents are pushing a tower in the other lane? You'll catch them off guard!

Didn't you realize that lightning a goblin gang sometimes makes sense?

I'm sure you didn't forget that rocketing a giant, instead of a tower with 400 HP left, in overtime, is the better move?

I always do love when my opponent gives the other team something totally OP in draft, like golem, just so he can have the awesome legendary card, like a IW or princess. COME ON BRO.

The 2 on 2 challenges drive me crazy. You can get paired with someone at 1000 trophies who doesn't know wtf he's doing. And it's not his fault - I didn't know wtf I was doing when I started either. But they should do a better job of matching ppl of similar rank.

Happy for a new card to be released tho

Looks like a good counter and fireball dissuasive for those tower-attackers decks

Good luck I'm already at Arena 10 so if the challenge goes south, I can get it afterwards

I'm really liking Siege. The game definitely has that old school feel of a SC or WC3 mod. They really did themselves a disservice copying CR's metagame so closely as the actual gameplay is quite different.
Tried this. Gameplay has promise, but dear lord the input lag in the interface is unbearable.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think it's great. It thought it would be slow and lumbering but it's pretty speedy for what it is. It'll help a lot with defense.
Played some more with it and it is indeed a winner. That shield is huge.

Man... so my deck seems to be nor working anymore. People must be onto it

GB
GG
Knight
Ice Spirit
Log
Princess
Rocket
IT

Getting countered too easily and not being able to handle strong pushes. Seems like everyone has 3 spells like log, zap, and FB.

Experimented with swapping a musk for the ice spirit since a lvl 9 but that doesn't seem like much help. Trying to build a deck centered around my high lvl cards like knight 12, GB 6, and princess 3 but just haven't found anything yet.

b33r

Played some more with it and it is indeed a winner. That shield is huge.

Man... so my deck seems to be nor working anymore. People must be onto it

GB
GG
Knight
Ice Spirit
Log
Princess
Rocket
IT

Getting countered too easily and not being able to handle strong pushes. Seems like everyone has 3 spells like log, zap, and FB.

Experimented with swapping a musk for the ice spirit since a lvl 9 but that doesn't seem like much help. Trying to build a deck centered around my high lvl cards like knight 12, GB 6, and princess 3 but just haven't found anything yet.

Try https://www.deckshop.pro/check/deck?deck=

Do the deck picker and if it works okay in challenge mode, your over leveled cards will do well on ladder. It's a good resource for trying new decks.

commish

I bought an ipad over the weekend and finally played some CR on the big screen. Totally different experience. After thousands and thousands of matches on my phone it just feels too weird to play on so big a screen.

Agent

Supercell did a Dev Q&A and posted it today. The biggest news out of it is the next update is not likely until October. With 2v2 ending and no update for another 2 months, not much to look forward to at this point.

Dev Q&A Round VIII [Answers]
Have you thought about implementing daily tasks?
Yes! And we probably* will be adding something along these lines with the next update - if all goes to plan! Also, as an FYI, now that most of the team are back in the office from our Summer vacations, we're aiming for early October to release the next update. Don't worry, it'll be worth the wait!

Will there be a way to implement adding friends or people you battled with or against via in game through app not through an outside link?
Again, probably*! It's something we talked about when we were doing the first version of the friends invite system, but at that time we decided to just go with the external links. However, for this next update we're looking at the feature again and will probably* be adding more ways to invite friends to your in-game friends list.

Will you add some new exciting game modes like bracket tournaments?
We're playtesting a really cool new game mode at the moment and it's currently looking like it'll be in the next update! More on this at a later date though... This isn't a bracketed tournament system, but we do talk about that a lot! Short story: no plans for bracketed tournaments with the next update. Longer story: there might* be bracketed tournaments at some point down the line. We think it'd be a good addition, but haven't set our eyes on making it happen yet*.

What is your stance on 'leaks' of unreleased cards?
We don't love them, but we understand that they're ultimately our fault, so we need to do better! With the tech we currently have, we can't release new cards without a full client update, meaning we need to put a batch of cards in the build with each new client update - even if we don't plan on releasing them for a few months. We're talking/thinking about ways to improve this at the moment, but aren't sure whether it'll make the next update or not. Ideally, we'd only announce and release one card at a time, so each new card can be a real surprise!

Will we get a 2v2 leaderboard with separate trophies, leagues and chests?
We don't have any plans to add a leaderboard/trophies to 2v2 at the moment, but it's not ruled out. The main thing holding us back is that we love the stress-free nature of 2v2 and the break from "ladder anxiety" it gives. Adding a leaderboard/trophies would inevitably take that away, to some extent at least. However, that doesn't mean we're against doing it, because adding a leaderboard/trophies also adds excitement and enjoyment (for some players) in other areas: the sense of competitiveness. There are pros and cons to it and it's not something we've decided on yet.

Are you planning on making tournaments better and worth doing again, if so, what are some things you have thought about doing to make them a viable thing to do again?

We definitely want to make them better! We have several ideas - and recently watched CWA's video on the subject which had a bunch of good ideas, too - but we haven't tested and proven them yet. This is mainly why we've been pushing it to the back burner (also because other features have taken priority each update). However, based on talks we've been having recently, it's possible* that we'll bring some improvements to custom tournaments after the next update (so not in our October update, but perhaps* in our December update).

* Please take this with a pinch of salt! Sometimes really cool stuff still doesn't make it into an update for various reasons - technical hurdles can crop up or other features require more attention and prioritization at the time.

Cooter

2v2 being gonna sure sucks. I wonder what the reasoning behind not making it permanent is.

pdk27

I bought an ipad over the weekend and finally played some CR on the big screen. Totally different experience. After thousands and thousands of matches on my phone it just feels too weird to play on so big a screen.

I've only really played the game on my iPhone. I bought a 10.5 iPad Pro last week and put CR on it as well. It feels like there is an advantage playing on the smaller screen. Less movement for your hands.

commish

2v2 being gonna sure sucks. I wonder what the reasoning behind not making it permanent is.

I've played 0 games since it went away. I already miss it.

I've only really played the game on my iPhone. I bought a 10.5 iPad Pro last week and put CR on it as well. It feels like there is an advantage playing on the smaller screen. Less movement for your hands.

Yeah, I would agree with that. Maybe it allows for more accurate spells, though, I guess.

Cooter

I've played 0 games since it went away. I already miss it.

Yeah, I would agree with that. Maybe it allows for more accurate spells, though, I guess.
I've played a few ladders and actually think the 2v2s made me a better player. Playing with so many bad teammates forces you to pick up mistakes and really dial in.

And Clash on a tablet is the way to go. #TeamTablet

I got impatient being repeatedly one win away from Legendary, and not having the coins to upgrade Minion Horde to 12, so I spent $5. Suddenly I've jumped from max trophies of 3787 to 3990!

I wonder if there's some algorithm in the matching that gives you a break after you spend cash, or if that was just a *really* good upgrade.

If I'd waited a week I could have spent nothing, but being so close for so long was driving me nuts.

Top Bottom