• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

totowhoa

Banned
I got impatient being repeatedly one win away from Legendary, and not having the coins to upgrade Minion Horde to 12, so I spent $5. Suddenly I've jumped from max trophies of 3787 to 3990!

I wonder if there's some algorithm in the matching that gives you a break after you spend cash, or if that was just a *really* good upgrade.

If I'd waited a week I could have spent nothing, but being so close for so long was driving me nuts.

Upgrading a single card can change the interactions with so many things. Upgrading a couple cards generally helps me hit a new high. Upgrading my crown towers to 12, archers to 13, skeletons to 12 and ice spirit to 12 within a few weeks of each other took me from 5k to 5.4k a little while back.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Upgrading a single card can change the interactions with so many things. Upgrading a couple cards generally helps me hit a new high. Upgrading my crown towers to 12, archers to 13, skeletons to 12 and ice spirit to 12 within a few weeks of each other took me from 5k to 5.4k a little while back.

It's so much to upgrade those cards to 13 though. I'm considering it, if they bring 2v2 back. Otherwise, since I don't play ladder ever, there's not much point.

totowhoa

Banned
It's so much to upgrade those cards to 13 though. I'm considering it, if they bring 2v2 back. Otherwise, since I don't play ladder ever, there's not much point.

Yeah I'm only going to take cards to 13 if they're well rounded and can be used in many decks. That's why my mortar is still 12. I'll probably get it to 13 when I naturally make my way to 2500/5000 cards or something.

That said, you earn about 100k gold organically in the time it takes you to request enough commons for level 13, so it's not too bad.... just takes ages. Those challenges with good gold prizes help too.

I had upped my Wizard recently to 9 and skarmy to 5, but that only helped marginally. The Min Horde to 12 has been great, though.

If I ever get another Graveyard card I can get that up to 3, which should be a big difference, since that's a main damage dealer in my deck.

commish

Yeah I'm only going to take cards to 13 if they're well rounded and can be used in many decks. That's why my mortar is still 12. I'll probably get it to 13 when I naturally make my way to 2500/5000 cards or something.

That said, you earn about 100k gold organically in the time it takes you to request enough commons for level 13, so it's not too bad.... just takes ages. Those challenges with good gold prizes help too.

Mortar? Who uses mortar? :p

Finally got my Legendary Chest ! Later tody I will know what I'm getting with it. I hope is something good I can use with my Golem Deck.

Did you try triple elixir ? I played some friendly battles with those rules and it's god damned fun

pdk27

Got 12 wins in the Triple Elixir Challenge. My deck:

Bandit
Minion Horde
Night Witch
Ice Golem
Inferno Dragon
Poison
Battle Ram
Zap

totowhoa

Banned
Here's the deck I used to win. It's crazy good. It's a standard pekka bridge spam deck, but with mirror because of the triple elixer... so many good mirror options in here. Practice it in some friendly battles first:

Pekka
Night witch
Bandit
Battle ram
Baby dragon
Mirror
Poison
Zap

Zap is for dealing with infernos, skrarmy, and helping poison kill swarms fast.

Pekka for defense. Don't be afraid of mirroring it at all, but only if it makes sense to. Pekka in the pocket is great for tanking and applying pressure. Sometimes I'd have 4 pekkas on the field.

You'll occasionally mirror night witch or baby dragon if you really need some anti air against lavaloon or something. More often than anything else, I'll drop two rams at the bridge opposite the side my pekka's going. I'll often drop poison with them. I'll sometimes mirror bandit too. All in all, it's just a ton to deal with - you can create a lot of pressure.

Vs graveyard, I find defensive poisons work best while my pekka or night witch destroys their tank(s).

commish

Got 12 wins in the Triple Elixir Challenge. My deck:

Bandit
Minion Horde
Night Witch
Ice Golem
Inferno Dragon
Poison
Battle Ram
Zap

YES. Inferno dragon. For whatever reason, this little guy has been doing serious work in this challenge. It helps that EVERYONE is using golem. I mean... every. Single. Match.

Agent

Triple Elixir might be one of the most fun things I've played in this game so far. It's just spamming chaos.

I've been using my ladder deck and it's hilarious. It's not uncommon to have multiple Inferno Dragons on a tower at the end because my opponent can't keep up.

Deck (Warning: 4 Legendary cards ahead)
Ice Golem
Zap
Bandit
Battle Ram
Electro Wizard
Inferno Dragon
Night Witch
Poison

Just spam Battle Ram and Bandit over and over. Toss Poison in for effect.

I've got a mostly doot deck. It's really fun.

Witch
Skeleton
Skeleton Army
Giant Skeleton
Tomb Stone
Tornado
Graveyard
Lumberjack

Just spam whichever is needed, then Tornado to the bomb if they clump together.

12-1 here

Pekka
Battle ram
Night witch
Fireball
Executioner
Tornado
Log
Ewiz

Kill all of the golems with defensive pekka. Build up a nw and or executioner push behind it.
Drop battle ram in the other lane as they are gearing up for pekka push

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just hit a high of 3999 trophies. Started the match at 3970. Aint that some shit. lol
12-1 here

Pekka
Battle ram
Night witch
Fireball
Executioner
Tornado
Log
Executioner

Kill all of the golems with defensive pekka. Build up a nw and or executioner push behind it.
Drop battle ram in the other lane as they are gearing up for pekka push
What's the 8th card? You have exc twice.

I used minion horde and I'm 3-1 but maybe there's something better?

Fuck, my Legendary chest gave me fucking Sparky. I wanted something for my Golem deck, damn it.

And lost the Triple Elixir thing, just got to 4 and got 3 straight loses to super fast decks, damn

Cooter

Ended up going 12-2 in the 3x elixir with a deck of

Pekka
3m
Exec
Tornado
Log
Lightning
NW
Minion Horde

Netted 104k in gold and lots of useful rares. Awesome.

EDIT: Also got 12 on my secondary account and swapped minion horde for battle ram. I think that was even stronger.

Boy that is some fun stuff. Makes going back to normal speed a little bit of a let down.

HotHamBoy

8-3 with Giant Skeleton rage/clone rush deck, lots of 3 crown victories. Every loss was against Golem decks.

I got a Graveyard from the chest, my 4th Legendary!

I now have

Sparky
Lavahound
Night Witch
Graveyard

I'm still Arena 8, what would be a good deck?

Cooter

8-3 with Giant Skeleton rage/clone rush deck, lots of 3 crown victories. Every loss was against Golem decks.

I now have

Sparky
Lavahound
Night Witch
Graveyard

Maybe experiment with a Giant/GY/NW deck?

Cooter

That's actually what I made but I'm not doing so hot.
I'd throw a tombstone in. Maybe round it out with zap, poison, and MM? That 8th card can be a lot of things. GG, knight, baby Dragon, stab goblins, skelly army, even a musky. Up to you.

_____

So I hit 4000 plus and got a draft chest. Very cool. Nice reward. Ended up getting to choose between a Princess and Lavahound at the end. Only 8 more princesses til lvl 4! lol

commish

Knight will go down in history as the most underrated card. I hate facing that fucker. He just disrupts things.

Cooter

Knight will go down in history as the most underrated card. I hate facing that fucker.
100% agree. I single knight and tower can basically shut down elites. I love my 12 knight. Now the slow climb to 13.

commish

I don't see EB outside of 2 on 2. In 2 on 2 they are never going to get to the tower, but they aren't too bad for defense.

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah I see them a lot more in 2v2 as well. I don't catch them in ladder in much. I'll probably start playing ladder again after reset in a couple of weeks, and I always see them a bit for the first 500 trophies or so.

But either way, even in 2v2, I'd rather play a good unit for less than 6 elixer that can defend well and then be worth a crap on offense

Wish they'd buff them but I don't have to deal with severely overleveled commons right now

commish

I hate all 1 on 1 nowadays because there's so much golem. I'm not going to say it's overpowered or whatever, but I can say that it's really annoying to fight five or ten matches in a row. I think my problem is that I usually do challenges, and golem seems to be SUPER DUPER common at lower levels because of how brainless it is compared to more complicated decks.

Cooter

Golems can be tough for me and they are indeed everywhere. I run a 3.3 deck and if they handle my IT I'm toast. Much rather see a hog deck.

hollomat

Banned
I think I'm finished with the game. It's gotten to the point where I actively dislike it.

One of the things I hate most about it is how difficult it is to change decks, especially if you don't have the gold.

The biggest issue for me though is about a month ago I accidentally clicked buy all on the log when it was in the shop. Spent over 200k gold for 3 logs. Reached out to supercell support to see if I could get a refund and they told me nope. Fuck them.

totowhoa

Banned
I think I'm finished with the game. It's gotten to the point where I actively dislike it.

But will you keep requesting every day just in case? Because that's what I've done every time I've started feeling that way, and here I am....

Edit: yikes just saw what you added. That sucks. I've recently mostly gotten into just doing challenges. I like to try out whatever YouTubers are highlighting, or random TV Royale decks from top players that I haven't seen before. It's made me enjoy the game a lot more. I just push to a comfortable spot on ladder for the draft chest during the last week. I don't bother with the anguish of trying to beat my PB by 100 trophies anymore lol.

Cooter

But will you keep requesting every day just in case? Because that's what I've done every time I've started feeling that way, and here I am....
Yeah, I go in cycles. Definitely keep requesting. Never no when an update or game mode will draw you back in.

hollomat

Banned
Yeah, I go in cycles. Definitely keep requesting. Never no when an update or game mode will draw you back in.

Thats what I've been doing for a while. I figured new cards would make it feel fresh but it's been the opposite. Night witch has made me hate the game even more especially paired with golem.

Edit: yikes just saw what you added. That sucks. I've recently mostly gotten into just doing challenges. I like to try out whatever YouTubers are highlighting, or random TV Royale decks from top players that I haven't seen before. It's made me enjoy the game a lot more. I just push to a comfortable spot on ladder for the draft chest during the last week. I don't bother with the anguish of trying to beat my PB by 100 trophies anymore lol.

Yeah losing the 200k gold really killed my enthusiasm after seeing their response. If it happened in hearthstone or elder scrolls legends they'd remedy it immediately, but supercell just doesn't give a shit.

HotHamBoy

Knight will go down in history as the most underrated card. I hate facing that fucker. He just disrupts things.

Knight is incredibly versatile for 3 elixer.

I'd throw a tombstone in. Maybe round it out with zap, poison, and MM? That 8th card can be a lot of things. GG, knight, baby Dragon, stab goblins, skelly army, even a musky. Up to you.

Nice! This feels good.

Went with:

Giant
NW
Graveyard
Tombstone
Zap
Poison
MM
Knight ;-)

I now have

Sparky
Lavahound
Night Witch
Graveyard

I got to arena 10 using a Golem deck. It's not hard, but you need to pace yourself and know wheter it's worth to give a tower (or getting it damaged) to build your push.

Used: Golem, Mini Pekka, Minions, Archers, Tornado, Mega Minion, ECollector and Zap.

Now I'm trying with Clone and Tombstone instead of Tornado and E Collector to have more options. I'm considering throwing EWiz there, but don't know what to swap.

With my other account, I started using that deck, but with NW instead of Mini Pekka and Cannon instead of Tombstone. Was struggling between Arena 7 and 8 until I started using this Deck, now I'm at Arena 9, even with the low level cards (Golem at 3, commons at 8 ! )

commish

One of the things I hate most about it is how difficult it is to change decks, especially if you don't have the gold.

The biggest issue for me though is about a month ago I accidentally clicked buy all on the log when it was in the shop. Spent over 200k gold for 3 logs. Reached out to supercell support to see if I could get a refund and they told me nope. Fuck them.

When the meta isn't fun, I just take a small break. I still log in each day, and I may play a match or two, but usually I just donate and request and not much else unless there's a clan challenge going on.

Speaking of quitting, I think I'm done with Brawl Stars. I just don't have the time to play both CR and BS, and BS hasn't grabbed me enough to make it work.

HotHamBoy

I have made similar posts on this issue. It's the biggest flaw of the game from a F2P perspective but I'd guess selling gold is how they make most of their money. It really does suck when the meta changes or you want to try something new and everything is underleveled.

I'm still in Arena 8 and I struggle with gold. Fortunately I did pretty good in this weekend's challenge and net like 30k, a real boon for where I'm at. Now I'm too scared to use it lol.

I've spent some money on the game. Bought some Arena bundles and a Legendary chest, a few $1 gem packs. I think I'm done spending money, though. I'm just not committed enough to the game for it to be worthwhile and it seems like you have to go all-in or it's a total waste.

Also, now that I have 4 Legendaries I'm way too wary of spending $5 for a dupe, especially since it would probably be my Sparky.

commish

Re: gold, I've been saying since forever that it's better to play challenges rather than the ladder. Being capped at level 9 for units is SO MUCH cheaper than trying to keep up on the ladder.

hollomat

Banned
When the meta isn't fun, I just take a small break. I still log in each day, and I may play a match or two, but usually I just donate and request and not much else unless there's a clan challenge going on.

Speaking of quitting, I think I'm done with Brawl Stars. I just don't have the time to play both CR and BS, and BS hasn't grabbed me enough to make it work.

Brawl stars I'm cheating a bit with. I just bot every match. Start a match then close the app and a bot will take over for you and you'll still receive gold. I do this while I'm at work to max out gold.

They definitely need to do something about progression in that game though. I've unlocked all the rares, all the commons and one epic so I haven't gotten a single new hero in the past month despite maxing gold every day.

HotHamBoy

Brawl stars I'm cheating a bit with. I just bot every match. Start a match then close the app and a bot will take over for you and you'll still receive gold. I do this while I'm at work to max out gold.

They definitely need to do something about progression in that game though. I've unlocked all the rares, all the commons and one epic so I haven't gotten a single new hero in the past month despite maxing gold every day.

I don't fault you but that's fucking lame that you can even do that.

commish

I wonder how common this is, because sometimes I have teammates who do totally perplexing things, like run towards the enemy instead of away when we have 10 stars.

hollomat

Banned
I wonder how common this is, because sometimes I have teammates who do totally perplexing things, like run towards the enemy instead of away when we have 10 stars.

I think it's extremely common. There's absolutely no downside to doing it so there's no reason not to.

totowhoa

Banned
The Clash Royale just posted a teaser for the biggest challenge ever coming soon. A 20 win Crown Championship Challenge. I'm curious how this will work.

https://twitter.com/ClashRoyale/status/894895683874041856

They also tweeted yesterday that balance changes are likely by the end of the week.

I was expecting we'd have to wait until the October update for anything cool like that. Hopefully they're not teasing a new mode 6 weeks in advance of release :p I need something fresh like this. Hopefully it doesn't cost 500 gems to enter or some shit.

Question: Is there any kind of member tracking spreadsheet or anything for clan leaders? I've had my own clan since launch day and one of our rules is ten crown minimum on the weekends (I'd like to make it 20 eventually). I usually only kick people if they violate the rule for a couple weeks in a row. I also usually watch this by just taking a screenshot every week after the clan chest ends, but I was just wondering if there's a more elegant way to tracks member stats, maybe include donations and stuff.

I could just make a spreadsheet, but I figure surely there's already something like this?

totowhoa

Banned
Spreadsheet seems like a pain tbh. In the past we've just screen shot the people in violation each week and clean up when needed. We've largely stopped booting people due to the lack of new members joining from here though and just kick people out who've been inactive when it's needed.

We still have a fairly active clan. 11 people without donations two days into the week right now. A couple of those are semi actives who just haven't been on yet. Probably won't bother with screen shots unless we merge with another GAF clan st some point.

We've had one week where we had 9 wins instead of 10. Otherwise been good on that front!

When we were tracking in the past, we just made sure people didn't have zero donations two weeks consecutively or else kicked. I'd probably do crowns now though.

Top Bottom