• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

eNHKs

Neo Member
Hey,
also sent a request to join the new clan. I am playing on a PC via android emulator, as my phone is very old and can't handle the game. The f2p is fine up until now (level 4), but it already is very tempting to invest a few bucks to get some of my cards on a higher level.
I really wish they would implement some type of reward for winning even if full on chests. The game is just too fun to not keep playing.

JoeNut

love this game! i have a clan with IRL friends or i'd definitely join. Looking forward to a patch that lets you bin chests so you can try for better ones

Gotchaye

It's weird hearing about how there are lots of level 6 players at 1000 trophies - there are lots of level 6 players at 1700 trophies! I actually feel like I saw more level 7 and 8 players at 1400 trophies than I do now. Possibly this is just about the game being new and maybe what I was seeing at 1400 was just a big early wave of paying players.

Hey,
also sent a request to join the new clan. I am playing on a PC via android emulator, as my phone is very old and can't handle the game. The f2p is fine up until now (level 4), but it already is very tempting to invest a few bucks to get some of my cards on a higher level.
I really wish they would implement some type of reward for winning even if full on chests. The game is just too fun to not keep playing.

Mostly it does not make sense to pay money to level up your cards unless you're specifically aiming to level up an Epic you like so that it keeps up with your other cards. There is almost no difference between a fight between people with level 1 rares and level 3 commons and a fight between people with level 5 rares and level 7 commons. Other than that they'll have some cards that lower arenas won't have unlocked yet, but Arena 1 stuff is actually very popular.

But paying is mostly a trap, I expect. You pay, you get stronger cards, and then you win maybe 10 games and suddenly you're back to going 50/50 again and the game feels exactly like it did before you paid just with a different background.

Karu

I'm sitting at 1124 trophies right now, but I noticed that I almost exclusively use Training and Arena 1 cards. Wouldn't it be an option to fall to those tiers again, solely for leveling purpose?

Thats just bullshit. I can counter attacks, so I rarely lose, even though the enemies have higher troops. But even well executed attacks usually don't succeed because their troops are on average 1-2 lv. higher than mine. So I only win when they make mistakes.

They game has potential, but it doesn't live up to its potential when I have to fight against people who try the same lame prince attack that I counter again and again throught the match and on the other side they just have to place a lv 5 giant to defend because it takes ages till my troops ripped through that.
I don't get it either.

The fact they tie tower hit points to your level and that you primarily level up through upgrading troops means if you come up against a higher level not only do you have to hit them harder than they have to hit you because of increased hit points, the chances are they have higher level troops as well.

It is a double-whammy.

J0dy77

Couldn't sleep last night so I decided to test out some cards. I was hovering around 800 trophies and went on a little losing streak. Switched out some cards and found a nice strategy to counter what I kept running into and went on a winning streak to over 1k trophies. Really like the game and you get some really fun matches. Had an overtime game where a Goblin hut, skeleton army and Spear goblins just overwhelmed his King.

This game took all the things I liked about Clash and took away all the things I hated.

Gotchaye

I'm sitting at 1124 trophies right now, but I noticed that I almost exclusively use Training and Arena 1 cards. Wouldn't it be an option to fall to those tiers again, solely for leveling purpose?

No. Lower-level chests can still have any of the cards you've unlocked, I believe, so you're not making it more likely that you get Arena 1 cards. And lower-level chests definitely contain fewer cards and less gold. The only reason to intentionally be at a lower arena is to win games more easily so that you can more quickly get your crown chest and fill your slots (or just to annoy the people legitimately at that level).

Karu

No. Lower-level chests can still have any of the cards you've unlocked, I believe, so you're not making it more likely that you get Arena 1 cards.
Oh no... you're telling me if I unlock Arena 4 and drop to 3, I still get the cards unlocked previously in Arena 4? Well... that changes things of course... and I could have avoided just stop playing to open up remaining chest while being in Arena 4. :D Thanks.

Gotchaye

Oh no... you're telling me if I unlock Arena 4 and drop to 3, I still get the cards unlocked previously in Arena 4? Well... that changes things of course... and I could have avoided just stop playing to open up remaining chest while being in Arena 4. :D Thanks.

I might be wrong on that, but regardless you get more cards and gold in the Arena 4 chests anyway. There's a particularly big jump from 3->4 since gold chests start to guarantee 2 rares instead of 1. See: http://clashroyale.wikia.com/wiki/Chests

And just to be clear the Arena 4 chests definitely can contain Arena 1 cards. What I'm not sure about is if you drop back to 3 and get an Arena 3 chest whether it can contain an Arena 4 card.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
And just to be clear the Arena 4 chests definitely can contain Arena 1 cards. What I'm not sure about is if you drop back to 3 and get an Arena 3 chest whether it can contain an Arena 4 card.

It cannot. Each chest is labeled with the arena it is earned in, and that determines the cards it can contain.

I've avoided the popular war type mobile games for years but this one is sucking me in. HELP!

This game is totally different than those games. The problem with those war games is that, if you don't spend money, a big spender can always thrash your army whenever it wants. Here, at least, the big spenders are put on another planet and only fight against other big spenders.

JoeNut

got a sweet deck at the moment just from messing around using stuff i had spare, the skeleton army absolutely wrecks giants, and i've found that using level 5 barbarians > giants because their HP is practically the same but split out to 4 units, so you can't get overwhelmed like the skeleton army can do to the giants

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Who do I contact to get accepted on the "original" Neogaf clan? edit: ok seems that Remy is the chief and he's got the same handle on Gaf, pm sent!
I've applied earlier today to the first Neogaf clan since a spot has been left vacant (49/50) but I haven't been accepted yet.
It's awful cause you need to be clan-less before requesting to join a different clan, and end up all alone if the request doesn't get accepted lol

_machine

Doing quite well on Arena 6, and haven't spent any money so far. I was first stuck at the edge of 3 and 4, but then I really tuned my deck towards countering others and just playing really carefully and not taking stupid risks, I quickly progressed up to the end of Arena 5. There I'm now having a bit of trouble and drop out of Arena 6 as I don't really like building decks and there are some decks there that I'm not very good at countering.

I also noticed that they definitely do not base the matchmaking equation purely on trophies/user levels/card levels; I get a healthy mix of everything there, and the amount of trophies +- can get over 100 trophies.

I was so terrified to start playing this thanks to all the talk of the addictive nature and disgusting p2w options, but now that I'm in the game seems great. Haven't spent a penny and I'm absolutely destroying people with better decks who just seem to not know how to use them. Can't wait to see how badly I get ruined in higher levels!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
got a sweet deck at the moment just from messing around using stuff i had spare, the skeleton army absolutely wrecks giants, and i've found that using level 5 barbarians > giants because their HP is practically the same but split out to 4 units, so you can't get overwhelmed like the skeleton army can do to the giants

skeleton army is one i think i would pay to own if it came up for sale. shuts down so many strong attacks.

Cindro

On the one hand, I can tell this is going to be my new mobile addiction-which is displeasing because having a mobile addiction in the first place is something I promised myself I'd never do.

On the other, it sure as hell beats my previous Time Clickers addiction.

I'm almost to Level 3 - how exactly do I get in on a GAF clan? No way I'll have half as much fun if I'm in a community with a bunch of randoms!

So I've been hovering in Arena 4 for quite some time now, yet don't have a lot of good cards. Still don't have the skeleton army, balloons, and rage spell, all which seem really OP. I've opened tons of chests and just can't seem to get them.

Cindro

Just got to level 3 - searched for Neogaf, there are three clans that pop up, all of which are maxed out. Someone throw up GAF volume 4!

EDIT: Android, if that matters

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just wanted to say that, in case you didn't know, you guys can make one yourself in like two minutes if nobody else does if for you or you can't join "advanced" clans because they're full already

watched a replay of this being used, you can put it in range of the huts and i don't see why they would design it like that, it's instant win surely?

6 elixir is a fairly high cost. It actually has a fairly low DPS so if a tank gets in the way, it's stuck shooting it. It started to make a comeback some time after spell damage to crown towers got nerfed, because it made Lightning and Rocket less desirable.

Mortar can do the same. It's actually one of my primary decks. It can hit towers if placed at the edge and is 2 elixir cheaper.

JoeNut

6 elixir is a fairly high cost. It actually has a fairly low DPS so if a tank gets in the way, it's stuck shooting it. It started to make a comeback some time after spell damage to crown towers got nerfed, because it made Lightning and Rocket less desirable.

Mortar can do the same. It's actually one of my primary decks. It can hit towers if placed at the edge and is 2 elixir cheaper.

Heh i must've started later than you so wasn't aware of any nerf, i love my rocket!

Cindro

Just wanted to say that, in case you didn't know, you guys can make one yourself in like two minutes if nobody else does if for you or you can't join "advanced" clans because they're full already
I was going to, but it looks like it costs 1,000 coins, which I don't have :(

If nobody else has by tonight, I might consider ponying up

Ferny

So far we have three 5 clans I believe.

Neogaf (x3)
Gaf Royale
GAF

Check all 5 for open slots. I am leader for GAF and I usually make cuts on the weekend to give people a chance to come on and play and donate. Right now, donations are really the best way to judge activity since it resets weekly, but I do know on my side, I also look at trophy count and try to keep a mental note. I also send a message to give everyone a heads up.

Remy

Cuts are coming up for Famous Original NeoGAF Classic on Sunday morning ET. Anyone who was in the clan last week who has 0 donations when I get up on Sunday will be removed. Even just 1 donation will save your spot.

Priority for join requests will be given to those who put their NeoGAF handles into their requests. Otherwise, it'll be first come first serve.

Sorian

Banned
So far we have three 5 clans I believe.

Neogaf (x3)
Gaf Royale
GAF

Check all 5 for open slots. I am leader for GAF and I usually make cuts on the weekend to give people a chance to come on and play and donate. Right now, donations are really the best way to judge activity since it resets weekly, but I do know on my side, I also look at trophy count and try to keep a mental note. I also send a message to give everyone a heads up.

I'm same name in the guild. Getting back into it today, had a really rough week and just didn't have much time to play or watch for donations. Don't kick me! :p Will be around a lot more again going forward.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Hello fellow NeoGAF clan members.

This game is the best worst game ever. So infuriatingly awesome :)

DON'T KICK ME BRO.

(same name in the clan)

Ferny

I'm same name in the guild. Getting back into it today, had a really rough week and just didn't have much time to play or watch for donations. Don't kick me! :p Will be around a lot more again going forward.

Haha don't worry man, your spot is safe :)

Hope your week is going a little better!

Rizzi

Honestly, this game is some straight up bullshit.
Oh, your opponent has level 6 cards for each unit, and all yours are level 3 or 4? Well gosh, I guess if you paid some money you might be able to maybe get some of those units too..

Jinaar

Damn all the guilds are full. Is there any that are not? Just got to level 3 and loving this silly stoopid game. :)

Ferny

Damn all the guilds are full. Is there any that are not? Just got to level 3 and loving this silly stoopid game. :)
This weekend, some of them should have a couple spots open. I'll update the thread when I open up a couple spots.

Top Bottom