• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CliffyB talks about new game design philosophy, wants less linear/scripted games

Derrick01

Banned
What about pistol or mortar? What about going melee only? Ways to challenge yourself, or to try and achieve a personally set goal, I would think those all go on the same spectrum.

That's not enough for me to play through a 8-10 hour linear game again. I don't like coming up with artificial ways to fix a developer's mistakes. It's different when I'm given different tools to create my own stuff like what I said about far cry 2, but I'm not the kind of guy who plays with fake challenges like melee only just to try to make a boring game more fun.

CoconutTank said:
Are you sure you wouldn't have a different experience upon the next viewing? Maybe something changed inbetween the last time you watched a movie and now, maybe something you missed last time will catch your attention this time =\

I'm not going to ask you to waste your time to find out if that's true and have you rewatch movies you have no interest in, just saying that things change and there can be many different perspectives or approaches.

Maybe, but again I don't think it's worth sitting through a 2 hour movie again in hopes that I'll notice something small that I didn't before. I've tried to sit through movies I've seen already but I always squirm around and end up going on my PC or falling asleep.

Sentenza

no. They might not be saving any money but linear games provide perfectly valid experiences that are different than open-world sandbox games.
Whatever.
I can eventually enjoy some linear game (I loved Portal 2 after all), but still I'm probably never going to list some scriptfest in a top ten of my favorite games.

Of course, on the other hand being open doesn't make a game automatically good, and in fact I can't stand Bethesda games.

I'm sure he and will wright aren't the only ones in the big industry who feel that way. i imagine theres still that corporate cash-in factor that prevents too many active changes in design philosophy

squidyj

Whatever.
I can eventually enjoy some linear game (I loved Portal 2 after all), but still I'm probably never going to list some scriptfest in a top ten of my favorite games.

Of course, on the other hand being open doesn't make a game automatically good, and in fact I can't stand Bethesda games.

yeah, whatever. Fundamentally different tastes bro. They're good experiences, just because you can't/won't appreciate them doesn't make them bad.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hard to determine what he is saying exactly. He is either saying "Maybe we should go back to some of the design philosophy we used when we were on the PC!" Or he is saying "We love Skyrim so much, we want to fuck it and every game needs to be like that!"

I have a bad feeling that he wants to fuck Skyrim given how in love the industry is with it...

squidyj

Hard to determine what he is saying exactly. He is either saying "Maybe we should go back to some of the design philosophy we used when we were on the PC!" Or he is saying "We love Skyrim so much, we want to fuck it and every game needs to be like that!"

I have a bad feeling that he wants to fuck Skyrim given how in love the industry is with it...

Hollow soulless meaningless characters and jank for everybody!

For.
Everybody.

Portal is a great example of a linear as fuck game. Same puzzles, same dialogue, same solution. I can run run through it in 45 mins with my eyes closed.

And I have. Probably about 50 times. Loved every single playthrough.

<3

Great read, this is what I would expect from Edge- not a gaming website. I like the the piece was warts and all. His publicist is a fucking dick and Rein was a bit snarky with the UE4 thing. He should give this outlet a bit more credit.

Cliffyb seeing the light on gameplay is awesome. I'm excited for the next game. I respect Epic's hiring philosophy too, while I think it's a bit extreme to expect staff to want to work there for 20 years (some agencies claim companies prefer you to move company every several years) I think the corporate culture and working conditions for staff is shameful across the game industry. People should market free range games. Happy staff = better game

That's not enough for me to play through a 8-10 hour linear game again. I don't like coming up with artificial ways to fix a developer's mistakes. It's different when I'm given different tools to create my own stuff like what I said about far cry 2, but I'm not the kind of guy who plays with fake challenges like melee only just to try to make a boring game more fun.
Hmm, okay. Well I also agree that I would not tolerate a game that I think has bad game design. I don't know if self imposed challenges like the earlier ascribed are necessarily bad or devoid of complexity. You might have to think about how many clips you have left versus how many attacks it takes to take out certain targets, what the best distances and angles would be for you to engage enemies, what fallback options you have in case something goes wrong. I mean, I guess far cry 2 probably has those elements to consider too, but I would think there's still enough meaningful decision making in the previously given cases (though I guess maybe not enough).

squidyj

Dude's a mod. He's trying to do something about it.

As someone who came off a ban recently... Respect the red.

All I was trying to say is it is absolutely rampant, people throw out false dichotomies and oversimplifications like candy on Halloween around here. I wasn't trying to mock, merely agree and in some way state that I feel that the issue runs almost to the core of discussion on this board perhaps even the entire interwebs.

injurai

Banned
Yeah, but hasn't the linear trend been a reaction to people complaining about getting lost in levels?

(Not saying that good design - like Valve's for instance - can't overcome that.)

There are many ways of preventing people from getting lost. If people are still getting lost then they lack the ability to be spatial aware of their surroundings. I do know people that can't play games worth a damn due to this. But dev's shouldn't cater to the lowest common denominator.

Riposte

There's a difference between Linear and on Rails.

There is nothing wrong with either, to be frank.

Nonlinear tends to be mean more filler. Only a few games pull it off well (not to say most nonlinear games suck, they are simply watered down). There are too many single-player MMORPGs which give you a straight line to follow for your individual quests.

maybe more game designers will take this to heart also. Looking forward to seeing the fruit of his new outlook.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is a good example of this in a way. Even though the layout of the levels is rigid (allowing only one path for the most part) The flexibility of the game allows for wildly unique experiences.

robin2

The pendulum swings.
We'll see.
When the new consoles hits, what are the odds of this happening, rather than everyone back en masse on the now-more-spectacular-than-ever corridor movie?

Also I say these things about "forcing the player" since 8 years ago. Do I win something?

derFeef

I totally enjoy linear games like Half-Life, Alan Wake, Dead Space, Portal and so on, and be totally bored out by very open games like Skyrim. I am open for different approaches so Cliffy has my support.

Lijik

There's room for both.

Make me a new 2D Jazz Jackrabbit for XBLA/PSN/Steam/iOS/Android, Cliffy, and all will be forgiven. But make it like the original JJ, not the sequel.

Give it the sequels visual flair and easy to use level editor with the original's gameplay.
Id be there day one

Also very interested to see where this leads for Cliffy's next game

Portal is a great example of a linear as fuck game. Same puzzles, same dialogue, same solution. I can run run through it in 45 mins with my eyes closed.

And I have. Probably about 50 times. Loved every single playthrough.

<3

Absolutely. But that's the difference between linear flow through the game and linear, scripted and prebaked sequences all over the game affecting gameplay.

Really, the last Ace Combat is one of the worst offenders I've had the displeasure to "play".

Sean

Banned
I dislike the linear, scripted as hell type of game design that is so popular these days. Tiny pathways where you can't explore anything, usually following someone with an icon over his head so you cannot get lost. And tons of scripted "cinematic" moments along the way.

It's like a roller coaster ride, it might be exciting the first time but there is absolutely no replay value because it's literally the exact same thing every time.

Helscream

Banned
I agree with his perspective and wish more people in his type of position of influence would have the same or similar philosophy in game design.

Maybe he could bring back Unreal Tournament to help express his idea for level design :)

Bulzeeb

Thank you Cliffy. I have been wanting more games like this for over half a decade.

Now all we need to do, is get MMO developers to realize sandbox MMO's are the future. That nobody wants more WoW clones. We will be on the right track.

No

Doom as is doesn't work anymore But the spiritual successors to that design, namely the Metroid Prime series, show how with enough options for gameplay, compelling encounters, and rewards for knowing an area well, there is definitely a place for non-linear design in an adventure/shooter.

It's a shame the genre didn't really follow up on those games. Hopefully we'll start seeing that.

I think this is what is needed

Cyrano

Well, let's hope he makes good on his new consideration of systems in games. Really, the best games are about exactly what he's talking about, having lots of systems, all of which are trying to interact overtly in their given world to bring about the results that system wants. This is what made old RPGs like Planescape so great. LOTS of systems, some of which didn't play with each other very nicely, others that did. Good games just need them because you can't have complexity without them.

This isn't to say that simple run n' guns don't have their place, certainly Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 have proved this, but they are, well, pretty simple. Just keep shooting the other dude until they don't move. Do this a lot. Works for a while, but does get tiring for most people. I'm kinda hoping that burnout for all these FPS games is finally setting in and we'll see something different in the genre. Maybe more Metroid Prime stuff? Oh dear god please more Metroid Prime stuff.

Maybe, but again I don't think it's worth sitting through a 2 hour movie again in hopes that I'll notice something small that I didn't before. I've tried to sit through movies I've seen already but I always squirm around and end up going on my PC or falling asleep.
Why do you play games? Some of gaming's grandfather titles were all about tackling and memorizing the same levels over and over and over again to get a high score. Even the much revered shmups deal with this repetitive nature.

Get out of here with that "every game needs a leveling up system with the option to skip battles entirely just because I can" mentality.

VVIS

Neo Member
My favorite games lately are the ones when you come into a hallway and you are like, &#8216;Oh, how did that dungeon instance turn out for you?&#8217;

In other words, freemium business model.

Heavily scripted doesn't dovetail well with infinite economies.

I'm a fan of both types of designs.

Linear games can deliver a pretty solid experience, and I don't think every game would benefit from an open world.

Open world games can also be amazing when done right. Risen was one of the few open world games that swayed my opinion. Exploration was so rewarding in that game.

It's like a roller coaster ride, it might be exciting the first time but there is absolutely no replay value because it's literally the exact same thing every time.

Have you never watched reruns of TV episodes? Or listened to a song more than once? Or watched a movie a second time?

Something being the exact same the second time around doesn't make it have no replay value.

I've watched movies multiple times, just as I've played through the Phoenix Wright series at least 2.

gabbo

I agree with his perspective and wish more people in his type of position of influence would have the same or similar philosophy in game design.

Maybe he could bring back Unreal Tournament to help express his idea for level design :)

I still dream off the day when the campaign in an Unreal Tournament game works like a wrestling game, with a branching plot based on your [teams] wins and losses. Though, I don't think that's quite what he means, or that that will ever happen.

Solid07

Banned
I'm still desperately waiting for a proper sequel to Unreal 1.

If you guys played Unreal 1 when it first came out on a Voodoo 2 card, you understand my desperation.

I still dream off the day when the campaign in an Unreal Tournament game works like a wrestling game, with a branching plot based on your [teams] wins and losses. Though, I don't think that's quite what he means, or that that will ever happen.
This setup would even work for a modern military shooter. Fail a mission, there's a branch. Succeed, there's a branch. Fail the primary mission but succeed at a secondary objective, there's a branch.

I think a lot of people are, and will be, taking this the wrong way. It's not about linear vs. open world, it's about getting away from being dependent on "scripted hallway roller coaster" scenarios, and hand-holding players to force them to get something out of the game that wouldn't have been there through normal gameplay. There are times and places for that kind of gameplay design, but when the entire game is made with that in mind, it takes away a lot from the experience, especially on 2nd + playthroughs. Games should be becoming WIDER and more ORGANIC in terms of gameplay. Not necessarily a bigger play space, just a more free flowing one.

It IS possible to make shooters that have more than 1 direction to walk in, and where progression can happen in ways other than a scripted explosion, followed by a scripted crawling section, followed by a scripted fight scene where you press the "AWESOME" button to watch stuff happen, followed by getting your gun back to repeat the cycle.

Derrick01

Banned
Why do you play games? Some of gaming's grandfather titles were all about tackling and memorizing the same levels over and over and over again to get a high score. Even the much revered shmups deal with this repetitive nature.

I've never liked shmups or high score games. Back then I played games and moved on, and it's probably the reason why I liked jrpgs so much on the SNES. There was more depth there than chasing high scores or jumping on things' heads.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Get out of here with that "every game needs a leveling up system with the option to skip battles entirely just because I can" mentality.

I don't recall saying anything like that, no idea what you're talking about.

Jackl

I'm up for more options.

It isn't linear that is bad per say, nor non-linear really.

It's bland, predictable gameplay thats the problem.

How many times have to you wandered off into a side area, searched each object, spamming interact and found nothing? Or maybe you found a 15 second video/audio/text log that had little to do with the main plot, and had no discernible effect on the players experience.

Adventure games really spoiled with with how much detail/intractable objects can be a in room. Yet in these multi-million dollar AAA franchises I walk in a room see a desk, a chair, and maybe a poorly textured non-interactable book and nothing else. What a waste of time for both the player and the developer.

gabbo

I'm still desperately waiting for a proper sequel to Unreal 1.

If you guys played Unreal 1 when it first came out on a Voodoo 2 card, you understand my desperation.

Coming out of the ship (scared as hell a Skarjj was waiting) and seeing that waterfall...
I too am waiting for a proper sequel.

Top Bottom