• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clip from the Terminator 2 remaster.

Beer Theaters round this way run around $3-4

Depending on the exhibitor, you can probably catch a repertory remastered DCP of a classic at one for cheaper than the rental.

sfedai0

Banned
Saw this as a 10year old as my first movie in a theater. I went back the next weekend to watch it again. Mind blown.

Culex

Banned
They should have just ended it after this....cannot possibly top T2.

I can watch this over and over. My dad brought me to this when i was younger and I will forever thank him for it.

sTiTcH AU

The greatest action movie of all time. I was too young to see it at the movies. I can not tell you how excited I am too see it on the big screen, unfortunately in 3D.

jett

D-Member
I'm getting fed up of older movies getting teal'd the fuck up when they get remastered. This is the (edit: FOURTH) time James Cameron has done this to one of his own movies.

dvd0003.jpg
bd0003.jpg

54.jpg
55.jpg

I figure The Abyss is next.

Is he embarrassed of the old, more natural color grade of his movies? What's his deal?

rashbeep

Banned
You're putting the bar at "GOAT" pretty low if "It looks like a 'modern' movie" is all you need to clear it.

(A lot of movies made before 1991 will look just as great/modern when transferred correctly. There are a ton of blu-rays that prove this point very clearly, too)

EulaCapra

The visuals are surreal. I'm not even sure I lived through the 90's without remembering it through a CRT TV effect.

Those sound effects and pie containers are straight 90's though.

I'm getting fed up of older movies getting teal'd the fuck up when they get remastered. This is the third time James Cameron has done this to one of his own movies.

dvd0003.jpg
bd0003.jpg

54.jpg
55.jpg

Is he embarrassed of the old, more natural color grade of his movies? What's his deal?
Not a Cameron joint but I didn't know Blade Runner: The Final Cut had this done too until you pointed it out.

I'm getting fed of older movies getting teal'd the fuck up when they get remastered. This is the third time James Cameron has done this to one of his own movies.

dvd0003.jpg
bd0003.jpg

54.jpg
55.jpg

You say this, but again, T2 is the first film he actually began applying the patented Cameron blue tint to. I don't know how True Lies missed the boat on it, but T2 was always a very blue film. It's probably just become more pronounced in this footage.

I personally love the way the Aliens remaster looks.

Oh shit, that hadn't even occurred to me, but you're probably right. Been waiting all this time for that Abyss blu-ray and I only just now realized he's probably gonna tint the shit blue-green by the time I finally get it.

Of course I gotta wait for his 58th re-release of Terminator 2 (plus a 3D release sure to top out at 20mil domestic) before I get it, still.

Saw this as a 10year old as my first movie in a theater. I went back the next weekend to watch it again. Mind blown.

I was 10 when this movie was released in cinemas. I was a bit too young to see it in the cinema back hen, but I did get to watch the home video release with my cousin in all of its cropped 4:3 glory, when it hit video fot the first time. I remember just being memorized by this film. It was a spectacle from start to finish. I didn't see T1 until many years after seeing T2.

I'm getting fed up of older movies getting teal'd the fuck up when they get remastered. This is the (edit: FOURTH) time James Cameron has done this to one of his own movies.

dvd0003.jpg
bd0003.jpg

I love how Aliens looks on Bluray lol

This looks great too

jett

D-Member
Not a Cameron joint but I didn't know Blade Runner: The Final Cut had this done too until you pointed it out.

Ol Ridley at least had the good graces of offering the older cuts with the original color timing, remastered just as well as the final cut too.

You say this, but again, T2 is the first film he actually began applying the patented Cameron blue tint to. I don't know how True Lies missed the boat on it, but T2 was always a very blue film. It's probably just become more pronounced in this footage.

I personally love the way the Aliens remaster looks.

The current BD releases of T2 escaped Cameron's revisionist clutches. It doesn't look anything like this trailer. T2 only really looks blue at night. This is teal. In mid-day.

Aliens looks nice and all, but these sweeping changes just bother me. And almost nobody cares, I think that annoys me even more. :p

Travo

I remember watching this in 91 with very little knowledge of what this was about. It was a fantastic experience.

dvd0003.jpg
bd0003.jpg

54.jpg
55.jpg

Don't worry, we'll never get The Abyss on bluray, so its color grading will be preserved forever! 😭

Maybe the project only had enough budget for an either/or

"You can replace some of the dodgier effects... OR we can hit the print with that Wachowski touch."

"Gimme that Full Wachowski"

"You got it Jimbo"

I know it's considered blasphemy and would probably open the floodgates on a movie like this, but I'd like to see a version with just a few touchups on the effects. Not in the sense of changing stunt faces or anything like that. More of accidental mistakes that could fly under the radar of editors. An example being in the recent Phantasm remaster, there was a bucket in one of the frames just laying on the ground, but it wasn't supposed to be there. It was digitally removed for the remaster. I'd love to see shots like the one below fixed, that damn arm in a sock is right in the center of the frame.

rglaoZ4.jpg

Yeah, I meant it looks like it was filmed in 2017. Like, Lawrence of Arabia you can tell is old no matter how high the resolution.

Sure, but there are a lot of movies that look like they were filmed "in modern days" even though they could be 20-30-40 years old. It depends on how the film was shot, and how well the film was transferred.

Jaws is a really good example. Yes, everything looks like 1975 because the clothes and designs are all 75 as hell (just like the production design of T2 is 1991 like a motherfucker) but you put that blu-ray on and if you didn't know all those actors were on set about 40 years ago you'd swear Spielberg shot that fucker a couple years ago at most.

That's one of the best things about blu-ray, and great blu-ray transfers: People's conceptions of how "old movies" are supposed to (or could) look gets completely rewired, because honestly, great cinematography is one of the elements of a movie that is the least susceptible to aging.

Sure, but there are a lot of movies that look like they were filmed "in modern days" even though they could be 20-30-40 years old. It depends on how the film was shot, and how well the film was transferred.

Jaws is a really good example. Yes, everything looks like 1975 because the clothes and designs are all 75 as hell (just like the production design of T2 is 1991 like a motherfucker) but you put that blu-ray on and if you didn't know all those actors were on set about 40 years ago you'd swear Spielberg shot that fucker a couple years ago at most.

That's one of the best things about blu-ray, and great blu-ray transfers: People's conceptions of how "old movies" are supposed to (or could) look gets completely rewired, because honestly, great cinematography is one of the elements of a movie that is the least susceptible to aging.
That's one of the (civil) arguments I get into with customers frequently. Most just scoff at getting movies more than a decade old on blu ray (for the few customers I get that actually have blu ray) because old stuff can't benefit from the resolution. Obviously those fools haven't seen a properly restored older film.

Many older films with proper remasters and presentations are revelatory on blu ray. It is like seeing them for the first time because of all the detail and clarity opened up in them.

Sulik2

Wait, is the film being theatrically re-released in a 2D version or is the only format available the converted 3D?

I think it's just the 3D in theaters but I was only 6 years old when it first relased so I have never seen it 2D or 3D on the big screen.

molnizzle

Looks like shit.

I fucking hate how all modern films have to be yellow/greened to hell and back. Who thinks this shit looks good? Reminds me of chromatic aberration in video games. Just stop with this garbage.

Stalker remaster looks incredible and that's almost 40 years old. Maybe doesn't look completely modern all the time but these transfers can be remarkably clean.

Top Bottom