• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clip from the Terminator 2 remaster.

re: T1000 not taking the police officer's form. I think the intent there is they were saving the "can imitate" reveal for when he invades Connor's foster home.

Yes, I get the reason for it from a filmmaking perspective. But I still don't get the in-universe reason for it, the mathematics doesn't add up. To me its a (small) flaw of the film. Something Cameron couldn't solve.

I've noticed a lot of Lowry/Reliance restorations exhibit similar issues too. For example, if you watch some the Kurosawa BDs Criterion released, Rashomon stands out from the other by a similarly strange grain structure. Rashomon, unlike the others, also happened to do the restoration work for it. .
One known example is Lowrys scrubbing of Citizen Kane which caused details like rain to disappear.

I'm not really a fan of the DNR-ing and adding "digital" grain back again. Feels fake to me.

I adore film and will go and see film prints as often as I can. But objectively digital has reached a point where, at least for presentation, it has eclipsed 35mm significantly.

That's relative. From the metric "details/resolution" – sure.

But growing up, going to the cinema was special because it was a format you couldn't achieve at home. It was special. It wasn't just "better" then the TV/VHS -- it was something different. Something else.

When Tarantino called todays cinema "TV in public" it may sound pretentious. But it's also fitting.

Even the "Culture cinema" here in Sweden who only shows older films, and long had the principle of showing films on their original showing-format is moving over to DCP. Which is quite sad. But happy to have seen a lot of classics there through the years on 35mm – Like The Terminator and Aliens for example. Not Terminator 2 though.

devanie1

Neo Member
Yes, I get the reason for it from a filmmaking perspective. But I still don't get the in-universe reason for it, the mathematics doesn't add up. To me its a (small) flaw of the film. Something Cameron couldn't solve.

If I remember correctly, in the novelization, the t1000 is truly formless until he attacks the cop.

jett

D-Member
How commonplace is it to insert digital grain after scrubbing the picture with DNR? Goddamn first I hear of this.

Why would you even do this.

LoveCake

Yessss, looks great. Those practical effects on the "liquid" metal pinned to his chest tho
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Credit where credit is due, at least Cameron didn't change it to CGI.

I saw this twice at the cinema when it came out and I have it on VHS (an ex-rental copy) DVD, Blu-ray and I have the 3D Blu-ray and 4k on pre-order.

Scavenger

It doesn't sound like a noise reduction artefact. Bad DNR results in too little grain and/or an overly soft image: not static grain. It sounds like a compression artefact. Especially if the grain is warping around objects in motion. Lossy compression looks for differences between frames and stores them. That way it needs to store far fewer complete frames thus saving space. If it is misapplied it could easily result in static grain and warping grain. It is more likely a authoring issue than a mastering issue. I wonder if the DCP has the same issue?
Frozen grain and smearing are usually a temporal noise reduction artefact. Temporal noise reduction basically works by averaging between frames.

Jedi2016

Not a fan of the color grading. I don't see why Cameron insists on changing the look of his films so drastically lately. I skipped Aliens on Blu-ray because of that, looks like I'll be skipping this one, too. And suddenly I'm afraid for The Abyss... how much bluer do you think he'll make that one?

Not a fan of the color grading. I don't see why Cameron insists on changing the look of his films so drastically lately. I skipped Aliens on Blu-ray because of that, looks like I'll be skipping this one, too. And suddenly I'm afraid for The Abyss... how much bluer do you think he'll make that one?
Shame, because Aliens looks unreal on blu.

pswii60

This is one of those extremely rare movies I can watch again and again. Pretty much just this and Verhoeven movies.

Dpp1978

Neo Member
That's relative. From the metric "details/resolution" – sure.

But growing up, going to the cinema was special because it was a format you couldn't achieve at home. It was special. It wasn't just "better" then the TV/VHS -- it was something different. Something else.

When Tarantino called todays cinema "TV in public" it may sound pretentious. But it's also fitting.

Even the "Culture cinema" here in Sweden who only shows older films, and long had the principle of showing films on their original showing-format is moving over to DCP. Which is quite sad. But happy to have seen a lot of classics there through the years on 35mm – Like The Terminator and Aliens for example. Not Terminator 2 though.

Of course. Film done well is spectacular.

I go to the BFI semi regularly to see 35mm (and occasionally 70mm) prints. Last week, as mentioned above, I saw Alien in 35mm. It was great despite the fact the print had numerous issues. I saw Dunkirk at one of the few screens showing it in 70mm (5 perf, not IMAX) and it was something special.

But Dunkirk was a brand new showprint. Alien was a well cared for archival print. Most prints out there are far from pristine. Many have numerous splices, many are faded to the point of being unscreenable. Almost all have scratches and emulsion damage. Given the choice between a poor film print or a good DCP, I'll take the latter.

Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, Spielberg (although he has softened of late) and a few others are hardcore digital holdouts and all power to them. But like black and white photography, it has become a stylistic choice; one which can be almost completely recreated digitally.

How commonplace is it to insert digital grain after scrubbing the picture with DNR? Goddamn first I hear of this.

It has been done as long as film has been digitised. Initially it was done when scanning for effects shot. It is easier to pull clean mattes without grain. After the final image was composited grain was added back to fit in with the surrounding footage. It also has a happy side effect of adding the illusion of extra detail to soft footage.

Now it can be done when restoring film or added to digital footage to give it a "film" quality. When done well no-one would ever be the wiser. It is only when it draws attention to itself people take note. And even then only a very few people who obsess over such things (mea culpa) will ever worry about it.

Frozen grain and smearing are usually a temporal noise reduction artefact. Temporal noise reduction basically works by averaging between frames.

If that is the case I stand corrected. Thank you.

Loxley

I really, really hope that one day Cameron releases a book that compiles all of the artwork and sketches he makes for his films - he's an extremely talented artist on top of being a great filmmaker.

gamz

I really, really hope that one day Cameron releases a book that compiles all of the artwork and sketches he makes for his films - he's an extremely talented artist on top of being a great filmmaker.

Yes, please!!! Would be amazing.

FyreWulff

Also as far as I know they didn't just blindly do anything to this movie. I believe Cameron claims they went frame by frame for remastering.

rou021

Apparently, the remaster for the Abyss was broadcast on cable somewhere a while back (I think it might've been in Japan). From what I've seen of the screencaps of that version, the BD/4K (whenever it comes out) will probably look how it is supposed to look: greenish like the others. The Abyss: Special Edition on LaserDisc looked more teal than steely blue as well. The same goes for some of the publicity photos. The greenish look of his other movies is likely to be accurate to the source. Dramatically changing the color of Aliens on the current Blu-ray to something different would be the actual revisionism.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It has been done as long as film has been digitised. Initially it was done when scanning for effects shot. It is easier to pull clean mattes without grain. After the final image was composited grain was added back to fit in with the surrounding footage. It also has a happy side effect of adding the illusion of extra detail to soft footage.

I don't know how it works now but in the '90s the grain pattern that they put in was the same one they pulled out.

Fairly common, Fox was especially bad during Blu Ray's early years some of the most egregious examples were Patton, The Longest Day, My Fair Lady and Predator. The earlier T2 releases also had some iffy she work done but not nearly as bad as this looks. This is Predator bad, where the actors look so easy you would think they are from Madame Tussand's. Whoever Lionsgate has doing their recent scans sucks. It's a shame because Artisan/Live Entertainment use to be one of the best in terms of quality releases.

I'm also one of those film enthusiasts that strongly believe that Blu Ray releases should take advantage of sir specs to provide the best experiences that approximates the experience of the original release with proper grain structure, very conservative digital noise reduction and proper theatrical colour timing.

wait there's a remaster? Where do I buy?

It's not out yet and if judging by this footage, you don't want to.

I didn't have an issue with the Aliens scan. It had slight change in colour timing but nothing egregious, it still has the most distinctive look and colour timing of any Cameron film. The Abyss and True Loes scans were done by Van Ling who is a big proponent in maintaining a films original look so I don't see i being an issue. He wouldn't be able to step foot in the Home Theatre Forum again if he did mess them up. Best transfer for a Cameron film was the last restoration of the Terminator. It looked amazing, retained its grain structure and dark low budget look but had unbelievable detail and clarity.

Honestly Terminator 2, has been the one outlier in terms of good high def scans which firmly puts the blame on Lionsgate.

jett

D-Member

Now it can be done when restoring film or added to digital footage to give it a "film" quality. When done well no-one would ever be the wiser. It is only when it draws attention to itself people take note. And even then only a very few people who obsess over such things (mea culpa) will ever worry about it.

I've obviously noticed some modern films getting "film grain'd", like Avatar, but I didn't know they did this stuff with remasters of old movies. Now I look at pictures of the Aliens blu-ray and the grain indeed looks odd compared to the other movies in the Anthology... Oh well!

Fairly common, Fox was especially bad during Blu Ray's early years some of the most egregious examples were Patton, The Longest Day, My Fair Lady and Predator. The earlier T2 releases also had some iffy she work done but not nearly as bad as this looks. This is Predator bad, where the actors look so easy you would think they are from Madame Tussand's. Whoever Lionsgate has doing their recent scans sucks. It's a shame because Artisan/Live Entertainment use to be one of the best in terms of quality releases.

I'm also one of those film enthusiasts that strongly believe that Blu Ray releases should take advantage of sir specs to provide the best experiences that approximates the experience of the original release with proper grain structure, very conservative digital noise reduction and proper theatrical colour timing.

Yeah that's just DNR, I meant the apparent process of adding back "fake" film grain after scrubbing the picture with DNR.

Speaking of DNR, Disney is the worst at it with their old catalog. Stuff like Robin Hood and Sword in the Stone are just absolutely disgusting. Predator is number one for live action pictures.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ol Ridley at least had the good graces of offering the older cuts with the original color timing, remastered just as well as the final cut too.

The current BD releases of T2 escaped Cameron's revisionist clutches. It doesn't look anything like this trailer. T2 only really looks blue at night. This is teal. In mid-day.

Aliens looks nice and all, but these sweeping changes just bother me. And almost nobody cares, I think that annoys me even more. :p

isnt that one DNR'ed to hell and back? Id rather have teal than DNRed to hell and back.

also your right most people dont care because we watch movies for entertainment, 99% of people would never even notice the difference unless you put literal side by side screen caps up.

wazoo

I've danced around getting the Jaws Blu-Ray so many times over the years but goddamn you just sold me on it. Is the iTunes HD version the same or should I get the actual disc?

do you really think digital download movies weight as much as the disc version ?

nowadays, movies are around 35gb and more

To clarify:

We've been talking about T2 and the Abyss and most of the previous home video releases of Cameron's looking different than what these new remasters (overseen by Cameron) now look like.

But I'm pretty sure those old masters were also overseen by Cameron. In fact, Cameron has always been one of the most hands-on directors when it comes to tailoring his movies for home consumption, right?

Didn't Terminator 2 on laserdisc, and then DVD, and then its first HD iterations, look pretty much exactly like he wanted it to? He oversaw those transfers, he chose the color timing, right?

So what's changed between the versions he's been presenting to us the past 20+ years and now that the "original vision" suddenly has a black-crushed green cast to it?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Yep. This needs to be repeated.

Nope, Jaws is not really a good example because of all the degraining. There are even some motion artifacts caused by DNR.
what are you talking about, Jaws is widely held as one of the best transfers of an old film.

MoA7lYD.jpg

lWfdlSY.jpg

old transfer looked really bad.
yea top looks better in this specific scene with regards to the color timing, however i could see it being a problem in other scenes.

Detail wise, yes.

Color wise. The new one looks off to me.

Gives me anxiety that filmmakers don't see the point in preserving the movie as a historic document.

As in Aliens, the cold blue and the "original look" I'm guessing is lost for all eternity and all home released will be tinted teal. Unless it changes again ofc.

Hoping the grain is "intact" for the home release. It was shot on Super35 so should have some great grain in it.
cause they're not historical documents?

do you really think digital download movies weight as much as the disc version ?

nowadays, movies are around 35gb and more
no they're not.
not quite. They vary by codec and compression used. Jaws is 29gb. Both Avengers are 28 and 29 ish.

gamz

To clarify:

We've been talking about T2 and the Abyss and most of the previous home video releases of Cameron's looking different than what these new remasters (overseen by Cameron) now look like.

But I'm pretty sure those old masters were also overseen by Cameron. In fact, Cameron has always been one of the most hands-on directors when it comes to tailoring his movies for home consumption, right?

Didn't Terminator 2 on laserdisc, and then DVD, and then its first HD iterations, look pretty much exactly like he wanted it to? He oversaw those transfers, he chose the color timing, right?

So what's changed between the versions he's been presenting to us the past 20+ years and now that the "original vision" suddenly has a black-crushed green cast to it?

Not sure what you are implying? That Cameron didn't have a say?

Top Bottom