• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clones That Are More Popular Than The Original

So it got me thinking, what other games out there are clones of a less popular franchise? Are there some clones so popular that the original source games are almost completely unknown?

PopCap cloned Shariki with Bejeweled, Puzz Loop with Zuma, and Magical Drop with AstroPop. It's probably unfair to single one company out, since the entire matching-puzzle genre is so derivative, but you can't argue they aren't popular!

I suppose Capcom's Puzzle Fighter is marginally more popular than its most obvious inspiration, Sega's Baku Baku, but not more popular than Baku Baku's even more obvious inspiration, Compile's Puyo Puyo. There's probably an iPhone game that has them all beat.

ReyVGM

Fire Emblem 1 and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Don't you mean Tactics Ogre -> Final Fantasy Tactics?

While both Fire Emblem and FFT are 'tactics/strategy' games, they are different enough to not be considered clones of each other or even similar games. That's like saying Gran Turismo is a clone of Mario Kart because both are racing games.

HM is very niche and has never come close to Stardew Valley sale numbers, I think the most popular title to date reached 320,000 sold (been a while since I seen numbers though). Stardew definitely counts as being both a better game and more popular then the title that spawned it, really hoping the dev is working on a sequel because he nailed what HM players wanted all these years.

He's working on the Switch version right now and the big multiplayer update that is coming at an undisclosed time later this year.

PopCap cloned Shariki with Bejeweled, Puzz Loop with Zuma, and Magical Drop with AstroPop. It's probably unfair to single one company out, since the entire matching-puzzle genre is so derivative, but you can't argue they aren't popular!

I suppose Capcom's Puzzle Fighter is marginally more popular than its most obvious inspiration, Sega's Baku Baku, but not more popular than Baku Baku's even more obvious inspiration, Compile's Puyo Puyo. There's probably an iPhone game that has them all beat.

The match-puzzle genre has always been ripe with copies, but it seems like only with the emergence of mobile gaming has the originals been outsold by clones. It's a difficult situation, because for the most parts the clones are usually the cheaper and more highly advertised ones. For example Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move has a really great looking game on the IOS, but it's paid app. It's a no-win-situation for companies like Taito; either devalue your own work or have your lunch eaten by competing, cheaper clones.

yurinka

As Miyamoto confessed, Super Mario Bros and Pac-Land.

They share more game design ideas (later they became standard in platforming, but back then weren't so common) than some of the cases mentioned above.

2048 is a straight-up rehash of Threes, which even the programmer admitted was the case. Yet it somehow gained more popularity as a web-browser game and free app. A shame since a lot of time and effort went into refining Threes, and it's obviously the superior game.
The fact it was a free app was really what made it so much more popular.

I know my girlfriend who knew nothing about games had 2048 on her phone without knowing anything about it being a clone.

milkham

The fact it was a free app was really what made it so much more popular.

I know my girlfriend who knew nothing about games had 2048 on her phone without knowing anything about it being a clone.

I honestly thought Threes was a uh, moderned up version of an old game and 2048 was just a generic programming exercise of said ancient ancestor, like those qbasic gorilla throwing bananas games

@MUWANdo

Banned
Raiden (the arcade shmup) was very derivative of Toaplan games like Twin Cobra and Flying Shark but it was far more popular than pretty much every other shmup from that era.

Mitchell Corporation's Puzzloop (or Ballistic, or Magnetica, or Tokyo Crash Mobs depending on the version) was heavily cloned by a lot of mobile/flash developers, mostly notably by Popcap with their game Zuma.

There's that and H1Z1 King of the Kill. I'd say 3 similar games in a short span make a genre.

Edit: also, The Culling

Well considering Arma 3 is a military sim with a BR mod and H1Z1 was initially a zombie survival game that didn't even have the battle royale mode (until PlayerUnknown added it) i'd say it makes things a lot different. It's the first game developed exclusively from the ground up for that concept, rather than haphazardly slapping one together out of your military/zombie game's scraps and assets.

redcrayon

Fire Emblem 1 and Final Fantasy Tactics.
Being in the same genre doesn't make something a clone. With SRPGs the links between, say, Fire Emblem and Shining Force, or FFT and Tactics Ogre, are far stronger (the latter two even more so). Even then they are hardly clones, and it's not like the later ones became wildly more popular than the ones they are more similar to.

redcrayon

Isn't bejeweled a clone of some other game? I'm not sure but if it is, I vote that.
Matching puzzle games, trying to make order out of an endless stream of coloured blocks, go back a long way. I remember arguing in the playground about the lineage of Columns, Tetris, Dr Mario, Puyo-Puyo, Yoshi's Cookie etc well over 25 years ago :D

CloudWolf

Rock Band and Guitar Hero in Europe. Guitar Hero remained much more popular in Europe, even when they blatantly ripped off Harmonix gor the full band gameplay.

petran79

Banned
The match-puzzle genre has always been ripe with copies, but it seems like only with the emergence of mobile gaming has the originals been outsold by clones. It's a difficult situation, because for the most parts the clones are usually the cheaper and more highly advertised ones. For example Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move has a really great looking game on the IOS, but it's paid app. It's a no-win-situation for companies like Taito; either devalue your own work or have your lunch eaten by competing, cheaper clones.

There were already too many Puzzle Bubbles long before tablet/mobile/smartphone gaming. Franchise was already devalued.

hqdefault.jpg

Mad Mix 2 is more or less a clone of Pac Mania, although...

- Enemies are classic Hollywood monsters, with only the ghost behaving as a Pacman ghost.
- Frankenstein jumps around and can bury the pellets by jumping on them, requiring you to use the bounce to propel them upwards. If he catches you, he will flatten you against the floor.
- Dracula can lay pellets that will give you diarrhoea, making you poop the eaten pellets while you move and have to eat them again
- The levels have traps and you can use weapons such as bowling balls, rolling pins.
- Pellets can grow legs and run away from you when you try to eat them.
You can temporarily plug the enemies spawning points with corks
- Extra lives move on their own and have your exact speed, so you need to trick them to eat them in the same way a ghost would catch you in PacMan.

Pretty awesome and more popular than Pac Man in european micro computers. That was also the case for the first Mad Mix.

Don't you mean Tactics Ogre -> Final Fantasy Tactics?

While both Fire Emblem and FFT are 'tactics/strategy' games, they are different enough to not be considered clones of each other or even similar games. That's like saying Gran Turismo is a clone of Mario Kart because both are racing games.

Except Gran Turismo was never inspired by Mario Kart.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has sold an insane amount of copies. I haven't played other games in the genre but it doesn't seem radically different.

I don't know if it counts though, since Battlegrounds was directed by the guy who created the game mode in the first place.

tkscz

Overwatch over Team Fortress 2.

In terms of memes, fan art and current notoriety, sure. In terms of actually being played, eh, not really.

I can't remember the name exactly but Destroy the Castle and Angry Birds. Like, the game is a straight up rip off, but DtC wasn't on iPhone.

emag

Arkanoid is/was more popular than Breakout.

Windows is/was more popular than MacOS (and MacOS is/was more popular than Xerox's Alto).

Ludist210

If I recall correctly, 2048 has been much more popular than the original Threes.
I came in here to say this. Even the developer of Threes has admitted as much, and I think it comes down to Threes costs a couple of bucks whereas 2048 was free.

dock

As Miyamoto confessed, Super Mario Bros and Pac-Land.
They share more game design ideas (later they became standard in platforming, but back then weren't so common) than some of the cases mentioned above.
I love Pac-land, but I've never heard this quote. do you have a source?
There's about 12 months between the two games though, so it could check out, but it seems fishy.

retroman

How about Shinobi vs Rolling Thunder?

brawlhist66.jpg

Rolling Thunder was released earlier, but I think Shinobi became more popular.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Street Fighter over Yie Ar Kung-Fu and Karate Champ.

Tekken over Virtua Fighter.

Gundam Vs. over Virtual On.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero in Europe. Guitar Hero remained much more popular in Europe, even when they blatantly ripped off Harmonix gor the full band gameplay.

But Guitar Hero as a game preceded Rock Band, regardless of who developed it.

And anyways, Guitar Freaks predated them both by a good long while, which is what I came here to post. You know Konami must've been at least a bit salty at how popular Guitar Hero became, hahaha.

Deft Beck

But Guitar Hero as a game preceded Rock Band, regardless of who developed it.

And anyways, Guitar Freaks predated them both by a good long while, which is what I came here to post. You know Konami must've been at least a bit salty at how popular Guitar Hero became, hahaha.

Guitar Freaks/Drummania later became Gitadora and added additional buttons and hold notes (for guitars) to effectively become Rock Band, mechanically. Gitadora never implemented "star power" but Rock Revolution did (Rock Revolution was probably made for legal reasons; it was punted out the door by Zoe Mode so that Konami could demonstrate to the courts that they attempted to compete).

Top Bottom