• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clones That Are More Popular Than The Original

I wish the Puzzle Bobble IP owners would sue the tits off that stupid witch game.

AFAIK, they can't. Someone might know better than me in regards to this, but you can't patent gameplay design. If a game had outright taken the characters or art from Puzzle Bobble then they'd have a case, but Taito can't sue over them stealing their gameplay design.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well Resident Evil 7 sold a hell of a lot more than Silent Hills did

AFAIK, they can't. Someone might know better than me in regards to this, but you can't patent gameplay design. If a game had outright taken the characters or art from Puzzle Bobble then they'd have a case, but Taito can't sue over them stealing their gameplay design.

Tell that to Konami - they have a lockdown on Rhythm Games where one shape overlaps another shape.

Thank god that expires next year.

emag

I love Pac-land, but I've never heard this quote. do you have a source?
There's about 12 months between the two games though, so it could check out, but it seems fishy.

I was also curious.

In issue 61 of Retro Gamer, Toru Iwatani is quoted as saying that Shigeru Miyamoto said that Super Mario Bros. was influenced by Pac-Land (this in in the context of having horizontal scrolling in platformers).

That's as close as I've got to anything concrete.

Buckle

latest
a8vy732.jpg

Cloneception.

For all the people saying 2048: the craziest thing about that game is that it was a clone of a clone, 1024, which was the... original clone of Threes.

PSqueak

Banned
I think it's pretty safe to say that anything Warcraft is infinitely more popular than any Warhammer official game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think it's pretty safe to say that anything Warcraft is infinitely more popular than any Warhammer official game.

Yep. I was gonna say, WoW itself doesn't really fit the bill because it's quite a stretch to consider it an Everquest clone, but Warcraft as a series (and starcraft for 40K) definitely fits the bill.

Top Bottom