• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clover Studio -> Seeds

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Chrono said:
Talent like that deserves to work on a next-gen console. PS3 game please. DAMMIT SONY BUY THEM NOW. :D

One failure on a PS3-game = Seeds go dingleberries :lol

Ain't cheap making games nowdays!

Bebpo

Banned
stalker said:
wait wait, you say that mikami is with them?

He's part of the intro message but under staff they only name about 5 people and he's not named. He could be there....or might just hang out and help out.

He's not technically at Capcom, just on a contract hire for RE5. So he could do a game at Clover next or on the side.

Muppet345

lol @ everyone saying "[my favorite company] BUY THEM PLZ RITE NOW OMG [my favorite company] will buy them so fast because that is what they do!"

Bebpo said:
He's part of the intro message but under staff they only name about 5 people and he's not named.
Well, that staff page isn't exhaustive. Inaba's not even on there as far as I saw.

I think if Mikami isn't part of the company, considering that he's named in their intro message and Resident Evil is name-checked in the next graf, then uh...

...no, he's definitely part of it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bebpo said:
He's part of the intro message but under staff they only name about 5 people and he's not named. He could be there....or might just hang out and help out.

He's not technically at Capcom, just on a contract hire for RE5. So he could do a game at Clover next or on the side.
Mikami is working on RE5 now? IIRC we haven't heard from him since God Hand came out.

Bebpo

Banned
jj984jj said:
Mikami is working on RE5 now? IIRC we haven't heard from him since God Hand came out.

Well he's on contract for some game at Capcom according to Capcom's statement when Kamiya/Inaba left.

It could be some other game that Capcom wants him to work on, but yeah.....

Ceb

ItsInMyVeins said:
One failure on a PS3-game = Seeds go dingleberries :lol

Ain't cheap making games nowdays!

Yeah, just like Game Republic folded because of Every Party and Genji 1&2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo said:
Yeah I'll admit the site does seem heavy on the Sony icons, but honestly unless some huge backer is willing to fund their project I can't see how they could do a PS3 game..

SONYYYYYYYYYYY

Is there any reason not to throw money at these guys?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
game_recruit.gif

Oh hey, I know that building! I always wondered what companies were there...

(anyone who takes the Hankyu train from Juso to Umeda in Osaka has probably seen this building, too)

I did some research on some of the key staff, and in addition to the obvious big three there are some good credits in there:

http://www.shacknews.com/news_archive_overview.x/2007/2/14

The company seems to be off to a good start in attracting talent. Currently among its ranks are developers such as Yuta Kimura, who did visual work on Okami and SCEI's Shadow of the Colossus (PS2); Nao Ueda, a programmer on Okami and various Resident Evil games among others; Mari Shimazaki, a lead character designer on Okami; and Masami Ueda, a composer on several Resident Evil and Viewtiful Joe games as well as Devil May Cry (PS2) and Okami.

Bebpo

Banned
TheTrin said:
game_recruit.gif

(anyone who takes the Hankyu train from Juso to Umeda in Osaka has probably seen this building, too)

You're awake!

Now go apply! HURRY HURRY HURRY!

Grecco

Love it how everybody wants them to join up with their favorite company..

Anyways.. Id guess they want their indipendence ala Grashopper or Q Entretainment

Doctor_No

TheTrin said:
game_recruit.gif

That's the Umeda Sky Building, that's not where they work.

From their page they work in Hilton Plaza West, which is close by in Umeda.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Doctor_No said:
That's the Umeda Sky Building, that's not where they work.

From their page they work in Hilton Plaza West, which is close by in Umeda.

Oh, ok. I know where the Hilton Plaza West is. Man, how'd they swing an office in Umeda?

TreIII

Sweet.

As much as part of me would like to see more Viewtiful Joe and/or God Hand, part of me is more interested in seeing what distinctly original wares they could possibly whip up.

And I'm going to LOL if/when it turns out these guys are probably going to stick to the PS2 for development for another cycle or two. No reason to go next/new gen when they could easily stick to where they're remotely familiar with, and have the largest audience to cater to, at that.

Doctor_No

TheTrin said:
Oh, ok. I know where the Hilton Plaza West is. Man, how'd they swing an office in Umeda?

Yeah, supposedly they started with a staff of forty, and as of January were at 51 staff members (and are still expanding). Also they have a snazzy office of the entire 19th floor on the Hilton Plaza West. Clearly they have stable funding from somewhere. . .

Polari

Why is it that whenever a new studio is started, every ****ing fanboy under the sun has to come in and suggest that their company of choice buy said studio? Idiots.

Polari said:
Why is it that whenever a new studio is started, every ****ing fanboy under the sun has to come in and suggest that their company of choice buy said studio? Idiots.
I'm an independent studio fanboy! Please nobody buy Seeds! (Just give them money.)

Haunted_One said:
Awesome. Awesome news. I expect great things out of this studio. It's like the videogame equivalent of a music supergroup. :lol
Yeah, Audioslave sounds great....

rofl, gotcha. This is almost enough good news to brighten the day Clover died.

AAK

So we have the major staff:

simazaki_08.gif

Mari Shimazaki - Character Designer

m_ueda_08.gif

Masami Ueda - Music Composer

kimura_08.gif

Yuta Kimura - Background Model Designer

n_ueda_08.gif

Nao Ueda - Programmer

kamiya_08.gif

Hideki Kamiya - Planner

AAA Team. With a reasonable budget, I am sure they will accomplish wonders.

And what is this game called "Large God" They are talking about... Okami or God Hand? It comes up during Babelfish translations.

Doctor_No

AAK said:
And what is this game called "Large God" They are talking about... Okami or God Hand? It comes up during Babelfish translations.

That's referring to Okami 大神. Its a pun between the Okami "狼" and the "great gods" of the Amaterasu legends.

AAK

Doctor_No said:
That's referring to Okami 大神. Its a pun between the Okami "狼" and the "great gods" of the Amaterasu legends.

Wow, so she designed the characters of Okami. SEEDS really is a beast. Capcom FTL.

Kreed

I don't care who they develop titles for as long as it's not cell phones.

It's too bad they couldn't have taken their creations with them.

Gattsu25

Banned
here's hoping they bring the unadulterated HOTNESS like Clover once did

hopefully, we won't see a repeat of all the morons buying games like Cars! and instead will start picking up quality titles...I want this studio to keep the level of quality the same as Clover and NOT fail

Outside of their handheld support, I supported Clover 100%

Kreed

Linkzg said:
so, is God Hand something that Capcom owns, or can Seeds make God Hand 2 (Godder hand), or an actual FotNS game

Capcom still owns God Hand, Okami, and Viewtiful Joe. Seeds will have to start fresh with new franchises.

-Rogue5-

LukeSmith said:
signs point to no.

Signs point to GDC and Phil Harrison having, as he put it, some 'exclusive (does he mean exclusivity?) announcements'.

For some reason, with the heat Sony has been taking for letting GTA and VF5 slip away and the rumours of MGS4 soon to follow, I think SEEDS (whose major members saw the majority of their success on the PS2) will be scooped up by the fellow Japanese company. Nintendo, while making tons of cash with Wii and first party games, doesn't really do well with 3rd parties....even games as amazing as RE4.

That said, this studio has SOOO much potential to dominate. MS have tons of cash in reserve and if they don't want to give up on Japan this would be a good way of showing it. Not only that, but Capcom's upper echelon have said that Western devs are currently leading... maybe SEEDS feels the same way and as such will prefer the western- developed hardware (360.)

Regardless of the reality of the situation, such speculation (and that's all it is right now) is still fun to ponder.

Side Note: Is Ueda a popular name in Japan? I mean, all of those Ueda's aren't (even remotely) related to Fumito Ueda, are they? If so, that'd be HEAVY.

Top Bottom